Categories > Anime/Manga > Gravitation > Butterfly Boy

Track Three: Catapillar

by EIRI-CHICK 0 reviews

Ryuichi's secret is found out...and the entire academy reacts to it.

Category: Gravitation - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Ryuichi,Tohma - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2013-09-01 - Updated: 2013-09-01 - 7567 words

0Unrated
Author's Notes (A/N) at the end of the chapter.



~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Butterfly Boy

Track Three: Caterpillar


Excerpt from ‘Sparkle and Shine: the True Story of a Rock God’ by Yuki Eiri

We three created Nittle Grasper’s first and longest running fan club. And to this day, we still talk to Noriko-san, Tohma-san and Ryuichi-san, especially Ryuichi-san! But he’s not the same shy kid we knew in high school…he’s defiantly…changed. I’m still not sure if it was for the better.

Kubiyashi Anzu, President and co-founder of the ‘Nittle Grasper 4 Ever!’ fan club
~~~~~~~~*



The students that made up the impromptu audience eventually made their way back to their respective classrooms, but the deed had been done. Word spread like wildfire that the smallest boy in both buildings was an exceptional singing and dancing talent. Many an unbeliever scoffed at the idea of the “short, silent kid,” the “slow boy,” and other, much more cruel names that Ryuichi had been referred by as having any talent, much less one as unexpected as singing and dancing.

When Ryuichi made his way back to his classroom, well after second period had started, he was greeted by those classmates that wished to hear him sing. Of course, he had once again withdrawn into himself and refused to speak, much less do as the others asked of him.

And of course, Arakaki Katashi and his group, who had bullied Ryuichi since middle school were the loudest unbelievers. By the time they broke for lunch, Arakaki had managed to get most of the students in their homeroom to believe it was all an elaborate hoax.

Thus, by lunchtime, most of the high school students had divided into two camps; those that had witnessed or believed the idea that the teen was highly talented, and those that vehemently thought that “bookbag boy couldn’t tie his shoes unassisted, much less sing.” So when Tohma and Ryuichi arrived at their usual spot to consume their meal, they found a rather large crowd of fellow students, all wishing that the pair would repeat their earlier performance.

Ryuichi, of course, hid his face in Tohma’s back while the much larger teen stood in front of the lunchroom wall and attempted to calm the students even as he tried to protect his friend from the onslaught.

“Leave him alone! Can’t you see that the poor kid is terrified of all of you?” a female voice yelled just as the throng was beginning to become unruly.

Pushing her way through the mass of people was a rather small, lavender-haired girl with a rather large chest. Using both of her elbows as well as her shoulders, she made her way to the side of the tall platinum-haired boy and took Ryuichi into her busty embrace. Taken aback by everything had happened so far this day, the shy teen threw his arms around the girl, turned his head into her chest and began to loudly weep while the girl patted the boy and murmured soothingly to the mossy-haired lad.

In the meantime, Tohma continued to try and reason with the other students. “If you wish to hear him sing, then I suggest you buy tickets for the upcoming cultural fair. Perhaps I can convince Sakuma-san to perform there by then. But to attempt to harass him into performing while he is trying to eat his lunch is downright selfish!” Tohma said, frowning as he admonished the crowd.

The crowd of adolescents, guiltily realizing their mistake as well as truly seeing the fear-provoking effect they were having on the diminutive teen, finally began to drift away.

:You had better sing at the cultural fair, Sakuma, or you'll think that everything I did before was tame in comparison!” Arakaki said as a parting comment before he walked away with his chuckling cronies.

At last the threesome stood alone as Ryuichi continued to sob into the girl’s chest as she tried to calm the thoroughly terrified boy.

Tohma turned around and raised an eyebrow at the girl, who actually was a quite bit taller than his diminutive best friend. She blushed slightly as she realized where Ryuichi had placed his face in an attempt to hide from the crowd. Smiling but not trying to remove the upset boy, she introduced herself.

“Hi, I’m Hoshina Noriko. I go to the middle school that’s in the other building. I was here on the high school side with some of my friends to help plan a booth for the cultural fair. Who’s this?” she asked as she nodded her head, unable to properly bow because of the upset boy she held.

“ ‘That’ is my best friend Sakuma Ryuichi, first year high school student, and I am Seguchi Tohma, second year,” Tohma explained as he pointed to the olive-haired teen, whose tears had finally began to lessen.

Realizing what the much taller teen had admitted to, Ryuichi wiped his eyes with one hand, turned his head and gazed up into Tohma’s eyes, astonished as his heart filled with love for the exquisite lad. “I’m…I’m your best friend?” he inquired.

Smiling gently, Tohma nodded. “Did you think you were not, Sakuma-san?” the pale-skinned boy asked while Ryuichi continued to stare at him unbelieving, his arms still around the kind girl he had hugged in his misery. Forgetting Noriko for the moment, the olive-haired teen stared for a bit longer into the turquoise eyes, before he blushed and hung his head, a shy smile gradually emerging onto his face.

“If you want me to sing for the fair, Seguchi-senpai, I will,” he finally agreed as he spoke more into Noriko’s chest than in the direction of Tohma.

“That would be great, Sakuma-san, for I fear that you and I will continue to be harassed by other students until we show them what we can do,” Tohma remarked in a thoughtful voice. “Besides, I feel that it’s time we showed the nonbelievers that you are more than “that weird boy,” don’t you?” Tohma asked as Ryuichi finally let go of Noriko and nodded in agreement.

Silent as the exchange between the pair took place, Noriko finally decided to speak up. Taking a deep breath which made her already large chest momentarily larger, she blew it out before she revealed her idea.

“Seguchi-senpai? Sakuma-senpai? I would love to join you two for the cultural fair. I play keyboard, and I’ve been looking for a group to join. That’s what my friends and I were talking about before you were mobbed. I wanted to do something musical, and they wanted some sort of cooking demonstration. Frankly, I hate cooking and I wanted to try and find something more fun!”

The two boys looked at each other, and then Ryuichi shrugged. Blushing, he said in her defense, “She did help chase away the mob…and she helped me, Seguchi-senpai,”

Tohma gazed first at Noriko, then at Ryuichi before answering. “Well, we ARE indebted to her…but she will have to audition first. We can’t have just anyone join us; we would have to have someone that fits in with what we do,” he explained to his best friend.

The diminutive teen nodded in agreement before a puzzled look crossed his face. “The least we could do is try her out…so to speak,” he acknowledged, his sapphire eyes briefly flashing a touch of mischievousness as he realized what he had said before he continued. “But, with your piano and my singing, why do we have need for a second pianist, Seguchi-senpai?”

“Oh, I don’t play piano, Sakuma-senpai, I play the synthesizer! I’ve been in lessons since I was eight and I just turned thirteen a couple days ago!” she explained, smiling. Both boys stared at the girl for a moment before they both turned toward each other, Ryuichi with a slight grin on his face as Tohma responded.

“Well, that’s different. I’ve actually been interested in learning how to play one. Mind showing me how it works? We could go to my music room at home, if it’s okay with you, since I doubt if Sakuma-san will sing here. Don’t worry, we’ll both be perfect gentleman,” the blond assured Noriko as Ryuichi smiled and nodded bashfully.

“I’d love to, Seguchi-senpai! But a young lady such as myself, alone, with two older men…what would people think? What would my friends think? Hold that thought!” she said as she jumped up and hurried over to retrieve her bento from her friends, then walked back over and sat down at the pair’s usual table, inviting herself as the two boys finally began to eat their lunches.

Thinking over their dilemma, the trio ate quietly for a bit before Noriko jumped up once again. “I’ll just ask one of my friends to come with us, it should be okay then!”

“Then it’s settled. We’ll convene after school by the front gate and you can walk with Sakuma-san and I over to my place and audition.” Tohma asked.

“That’s fine! I have my keyboard in the middle school music room! I’ll get it and grab one of my friends and we can all go!” Noriko said as she stood. Both Ryuichi and Tohma stood as well and bowed to her as she turned to go.

“Just remember one thing, Sakuma-senpai. Your nose in my boobs was a one-time thing. Don’t think you can do that again!” she fussed before she strolled off, her head held high as Ryuichi’s jaw dropped in surprise and Tohma chuckled.

“That one is going to be a handful, Sakuma-san,” he said teasingly to the mossy-haired boy.

~~~~*
As Tohma and Ryuichi met at the gate at the appointed time, they watched as Noriko approached them with not one but three other girls. One wore the same middle school uniform that Noriko wore, and the other two wore the high school uniform for girls.

“This is Fujimoto Arumi, first year high school student, Gotoh Fuu, first year high school student and Kubiyashi Anzu, second year middle school student. Anzu and I are in class together,” she explained, each girl bowing as they were introduced, Fuu smiling shyly as she recognized the blond-haired boy.

“These three are my best friends, we’ve known each other since we were in elementary school, and all three wanted to make sure I’d be okay with you older men. I couldn’t just pick one and not take the others. Besides, I’m just a helpless middle school girl; I don’t want either of you to think I was easy or anything!” Noriko rationalized as she hefted her custom-made keyboard case.

“I can carry that for you if you’d like,” Ryuichi piped up before he blushed and hid his face behind his long bangs. Two of the girls giggled, which caused Noriko to glare at them, instantly stopping their laughter.

“Sure, Sakuma-senpai, you may carry it if you like, just so you understand that my parents bought it for me for my last birthday and are still paying it off, okay?” She smiled cutely at him, which caused him to blush even redder as she patiently waited for Ryuichi to shift his bookbag onto his back, using the backpack straps before the small teen took the case from the lavender-haired beauty.

Tohma watched the entire exchange, one eyebrow raised. “Is everyone ready to depart?” he inquired when it looked as if everyone had settled. Receiving affirmations from everyone, he began to lead them toward his home.

While on the way, they passed by a convenient store. “Wait just a moment, I’ll be right back!” Noriko instructed as she ducked inside. Making a few quick purchases, she rejoined the group and they continued their trek, the four girls talking about their teachers as the boys listened quietly.

Turning off of the main street, they made their way down the spotlessly clean street to the large home behind the ornate gate. As Tohma pulled on the gate, the girls whispered among themselves, as the tall, attractive teen had many admirers and the two high school-aged girls were among them. Smiling graciously, he bowed and said in a polite voice, “As a member and future head of the Seguchi family, I welcome you to my most humble home,” as the two high school girls giggled nervously.

As the group entered, three of the girls marveled at the splendor of the gardens that lay on either side of the walkway. Noriko nodded absently as her three friends pointed out this kind of flowerbed or that, so focused on her audition was she.

As they approached the front door, the pretty French maid in the sky-blue outfit opened the door and greeted the troupe, bowing low and offering to take their bookbags and other items as she gracefully pointed out the guest slippers. While the boys took off their shoes, Noriko shook her head as the maid offered to take the heavy case that Ryuichi was carrying. He hugged it against his chest and mirrored the headshake. “Its okay, Kaoru-san, I got it,” the olive-haired teen explained as he hefted the case and turned toward Tohma, who was waiting patiently for the group.

“We would like tea to be brought into the Music room, please Kaoru,” he instructed over his shoulder while he led the way, Ryuichi following close behind. The girls looked around and smiled at the artwork that decorated the huge home, pointing out this piece or that as they followed the two boys.

As they entered the large sunlit room, Tohma led Ryuichi over to the padded piano bench. “With your permission, Hoshina-san, Ryuichi can place the keyboard here so that you may set it up.” She nodded and smiled prettily as Ryuichi did just that while the other girls found seats in the comfortably padded chairs surrounding a table that graced the window-filled room.

Noriko opened the case and set up the portable stand, then the synthesizer, plugging it in when the platinum blond showed her where an outlet was in the wall. Tohma carefully placed the case on an empty chair before taking his seat on the piano bench, while Ryuichi sat cross-legged in his usual place on the floor next to him, his bookbag on his lap.

“Here, drink this...slowly,” Noriko instructed, handing Ryuichi a newly-purchased bottle of water. Blinking, Ryuichi took it and began sipping from it, careful to not gulp for fear of air mixing in and making him burp, which would ruin his performance.

Kaoru brought in a tea tray with a plate of homemade sugar cookies and placed them on a low table, making sure that the three guests had what they needed while Noriko went back to setting up. Sipping their tea, the three girls that made up the audience waited expectantly.

Cracking her knuckles, which caused Tohma to wince, Noriko ran through her scales a few times, and then began to play classical music…with a twist. It sounded like classical, but she had added her own, more modern spin to it, turning it into something that could very well be played in any of the dance clubs that they were, for the most part, still too young to attend.

Picking up on the rhythm, Tohma soon joined in, playing a classical counterpart to the dance style the lavender-haired beauty was exhibiting as the girls, well used to her unique style, clapped out the beat. Even the ever-bashful Ryuichi got into the music as he bobbed his head in time, a half-smile on his usually hair-hidden face as he let the music carry him, occasionally sipping his water. Tohma glanced over and smiled as his best friend moved with the rhythm.

Noriko began to wind down her playing, with Tohma quickly following suit. “Well?” she asked as she gazed at the pair and waited for an answer.

“Your playing was all well and good, Hoshina-san, but can you create anything original? Not just changing already existing classical music, but creating something brand new?” the older teen asked as the others watched.

“Well,” Noriko began. “I…do have something I came up with a while back, but I’m not sure what to do with it. I’m not too good with lyrics, only with the musical aspect.” Taking a few deep breaths and closing her eyes, she began to play a slow, melodious song, her fingers caressing the keyboard as she swayed back and forth to the notes coming forth from her gifted fingertips. As Tohma picked up on the melody, his piano complemented the song, creating a soothing harmony, the pair playing as if they had always been together.

The music all too soon ceased, but to the listeners in the Seguchi’s music room it was as if their souls had taken a walk underneath a cool waterfall as they opened their eyes and rejoined the rest of the world.

“Very nice, Hoshina-san, not bad at all. However, I am not the only vote here,” Tohma reminded Noriko as he turned his gaze upon Ryuichi. Startled that he had a say in the matter, the bashful lad blushed and looked first at the platinum blond before turning his sapphire gaze onto Noriko, nearly knocking over the remainder of his water in his nervousness.

“I…uh…liked it lots,” the diminutive teen said before he looked up at Tohma and shrugged helplessly.

“Well, don’t you think that she should be able to keep up with you, Sakuma-san? After all, you ARE the vocalist,” Tohma pointed out.

“Well, uh…I guess so,” he replied as he stood and bowed to the pretty lavender-haired keyboardist. Standing back upright, he asked, “Um….do you know any Queen?” in a low voice as he hugged his bookbag to his chest and looked down at his slippers.

“Queen? The British rock group? I know one song of theirs…” she replied casually as she began to play.” Ryuichi’s eyes went wide with surprise as she played, and as the second line began, he started to sing along, a playful smile upon his lips as she grinned impishly back at him.

‘Killer Queen’ by Queen

She keeps Moet et Chandon
In a pretty cabinet
'Let them eat cake' she says
Just like Marie Antoinette
A built-in remedy
For Khrushchev and Kennedy
At anytime an invitation you can't decline

Caviar and cigarettes
Well versed in etiquette
Extraordinarily nice

Chorus:
She's a Killer Queen
Gunpowder, Gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytime

Recommended at the price
Insatiable an appetite
Wanna try?

To avoid complications
She never kept the same address
In conversation
She spoke just like a baroness

Met a man from China
Went down to Geisha Minah
Then again incidentally
If you're that way inclined

Perfume came naturally from Paris (Naturally!)
for cars she couldn't care less
Fastidious and precise

Chorus:
She's a Killer Queen
Gunpowder, Gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytime

Drop of a hat she's as willing as
Playful as a pussy cat
Then momentarily out of action
Temporarily out of gas
To absolutely drive you wild, wild
She's out to get you


Chorus:
She's a Killer Queen
Gunpowder, Gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytime

Recommended at the price
Insatiable in appetite
Wanna try?
You wanna try



Noriko’s friends, not truly expecting the shy lad to be able to sing, much less be able to sing as splendidly as he did, was astounded with the sheer power the undersized teen’s voice had. All too soon they clapped along as the pair at their respective keyboards seemed to play with each other, his voice easily keeping up with her performance.

As the song wound down, Noriko deliberately held the last note, stretching it out for quite a while. Ryuichi threw back his head and sustained the note, flowing up and down his impressive vocal range before Noriko, surprised, stopped playing altogether.

“Wow...I guess you really CAN sing, Sakuma-senpai,” she acknowledged, a huge smile upon her face as he blushed and bowed to her while the other four clapped heartily.

“Sakuma-san? May I speak to you alone please?” Tohma asked, a serious look on his face as he beckoned his best friend over to convene privately. Noriko waited patiently by her synthesizer as the other three girls whispered among themselves.

After a few minutes, Tohma stood and strode to the center of the room. He bowed low, first to the three audience members, and then to the lavender-haired keyboardist as Ryuichi moved to stand next to him and once again look intently down at his feet, his long bangs hiding his facial expression.

“Sakuma-san and I have decided that we would be greatly pleased if you would join us as our synthesizer keyboardist for the cultural fair, Hoshina-san,” the beautiful pale teen revealed, wearing a satisfied expression while Ryuichi looked sideways at Noriko, a huge smile on his face.

As the three girls clapped and squealed happily before hurrying over to congratulate Noriko, Ryuichi shuffled his feet and asked the tall boy, “Seguchi-san, if we’re going to be a band, what are we going to call ourselves?”

“Hmmm, excellent question, Sakuma-san. Any ideas?” Tohma replied, bewildered.

“Nope,” Ryuichi said, shaking his head before turning to Noriko, who was still surrounded by her friends. “Hoshina-san?” he asked quietly. “What are we going to call our band?”

“Idunno…you don’t have a name?” she asked the duo as the three girls became silent so that they could listen to the conversation.

Ryuichi shook his head again as Tohma explained, “Before today we had no need of a name. Everything we did was simply for fun. We had no concrete plans to actually establish a band. My mentioning of the cultural fair was simply to get the other students to leave Sakuma-san alone.”

“Then why did you even bother learning how to play the piano, Seguchi-senpai?” Noriko asked as she put her hands on her hips and stared at the tall boy.

Nonplussed, he replied, “My parents want me to become a concert pianist. I taught myself to play a few rock songs, and then when Sakuma-san came around, we learned more. I still have no intention to diverge from my path of being a pianist. I started doing this merely for my as well as Sakuma-san’s personal enjoyment, nothing more.”

Ryuichi stared at Tohma as he made his revelation. “You…you had no plans to make a band?” he stammered, his small frame drooping as he dropped both arms to his side, his bookbag hitting him in the leg.

Tohma raised an eyebrow at his best friend. “No, Sakuma-san. I learned rock songs because you seemed to enjoy it and I had fun as well. No other reason.”

Noriko watched the exchange between the pair as the other girls once again began whispering between themselves. The diminutive youth hung his head as he confessed, “But I had hoped…I thought…I wanted to…” before he fled the room. Noriko gave the platinum blond a withering look before she followed.

Retracing her path through the expansive mansion, she met up with the olive-haired teen as he was putting on his shoes at the front door. “You’re leaving, Sakuma-senpai?” she asked as he looked over at her while hot tears of anger and disappointment flowed down his cheeks. Silently, he nodded as he placed his bookbag down by his side and knelt to tie his laces. She watched as he managed one, then the other before reaching for where he had placed his bookbag, After he wiped his eyes free of the moisture, he realized that Noriko was holding the bag, having picked it up while he was busy with his shoes.

“Sakuma-senpai? You never bothered to ask Seguchi-senpai what his plans were? Did you always think that you and he would start a band?” As he gestured to the bookbag that she was holding, he nodded his head, sending tears flying as he held out his hand. She brought up the bag to her ample chest and smiled sadly at the small teen.

“You just assumed that he would want to start a band with you, didn’t you?” she continued, ignoring his hand. He nodded again as he held out his other hand to join the first, shaking them together as more tears fell.

Sitting on the floor as she held onto the bookbag, she sighed as she inquired, “But you never thought to ask him, did you? You just assumed.” Shifting to one side, she leaned against the step as she hugged the leather bag.

“He brought you out of your shell, showed you that you were more than the “freaky shrimpy kid” and the other mean things that the kids in school call you, made you his best friend, and you never thought to open up and ask him why he wanted to be your friend, or why he played piano to your singing?” Ryuichi stared at her for a moment, then slowly shook his head in response.

She huffed as she told Ryuichi, “You are the worst best friend ever! I bet you never even told him that you wanted to try to make a band with him, did you? You never gave him a chance to say ‘yes or no,’ did you? You just assumed that he’d go along with what you wanted, didn’t you? Some friend you are!” she spat as she held tighter onto the bookbag.

Ryuichi stood and stared at the angry lavender-haired girl as if she had suddenly turned into an oni before he balled up his fists and glared at her, his tears temporarily forgotten.

“I shouldn’t have to ask why someone wants to be friends with me!” he shouted at her. “I should be able to be friends with someone because they want to be my friend, not out of some sense of obligation/, nor because I can sing or because they feel /sorry for the short kid! I became his friend because he was nice to me, treated me as if I mattered/, like I was more than ‘the school messenger boy!’ I became his friend because he /cared about ME! I’m still his friend! And if he doesn’t want to be in a band with me, I don’t care about that either! I was just…just…”

“’Just’ what, Sakuma-senpai?” Noriko gently queried. “Just about to leave your best friend’s home, never to return?”

Ryuichi stared at her as all the anger suddenly left his body. He sat onto the floor as if deflated and hung his head. “I was, wasn’t I? I was about to run out of here like he was my worst enemy instead of my best…my only friend.”

“He’s not your only friend, Sakuma-senpai. I’m now your friend too, band or no band.” she murmured.

Surprised, Ryuichi raised his head to see the kind smile she was giving him. He stared a bit longer at Noriko before he tilted his head and shyly returned her smile. The pair sat and smiled at each other for a bit longer before Noriko knitted her eyebrows together and looked down at the bookbag she was holding.

“Why do you carry this thing everywhere, anyway?” she said as she began to open it.

“NO!” the mossy-haired teen shouted just as she reached inside and pulled out a dirty, battered pink stuffed rabbit with a red bow tie around his neck. Dangling the bunny between her finger and her thumb, she frowned at it as Ryuichi hung his head and hid behind his bangs, silent.

“What’s his name?” she asked as she watched the mossy-haired teen turned bright red.

“Kuma…Kumagorou,” he whispered back.

“And who gave him to you?” Noriko asked as she inspected the grubby toy.

“My…my obaa-san, I was told. The night I was born,” he replied in the same whisper.

“Oh,” she murmured. “He looks…well-loved,” she said in a caring tone, which caused the boy to look up and see that she was holding the plushie out for him to take, wearing a tender expression instead of the mocking one he was expecting.

He watched her face carefully as he took back the plushie and hugged it tight to his chest. As she waited, he explained further. “My…my folks thought I was going to be a girl when my Mom was preg...uh, expecting me. So…when my Mom gave my obaa-san his pink fabric, Granny said I was going to be a boy and gave Kuma a bow tie. She was right.”

“Oh,” she repeated, as she watched Ryuichi clutch the dirty rabbit. The teen seemed to suddenly exude more confidence; his body language became more relaxed the longer he held the bunny. He smiled again at the pretty girl before he began to loosen the laces in his shoes.

“You’re staying? After all that?” Noriko inquired, her chocolate eyes shining as she placed the bookbag down next to the wall.

“Yeah. I might as well. After all, I never did tell Tohma…Seguchi-san that I wanted to start a band. It was stupid of me to assume that he knew what I was thinking. Besides, it’ll be fun to be in a band, even if it’s only for one concert!” he replied offhandedly as he took off his shoes and placed them with the others before once more putting on the slippers.

Putting the bunny on top of his head, Ryuichi smiled impishly as he stood and held out his hand. “Come on Hoshina-san, let’s get back. After all, we have a LOT of practicing to do for our one performance!”

“It’s Noriko, Ryuichi-san,” she retorted, a huge grin on her face as she took his hand, picked up the bookbag and led the way back into the music room. The girls still sat with their heads together while Tohma sat relaxed at the piano, eyes closed as he played one classical song after another. It was obvious to Ryuichi that the oldest teen was more upset than he let on, choosing to hide his emotions by continuing to play for his guests.

“He’s back!” Anzu cried when the pair re-entered the music room. She jumped up and ran over to Noriko, followed by the other two girls, clustering around the pair and asking question after question, occasionally gazing at the bunny now adorning the smallest teen’s head.

The platinum-haired teen in the meantime, continued to play as if nothing had happened, eyes closed.

Releasing Noriko’s hand, Ryuichi walked over to stand in front and off to the side of the piano bench, placed one small hand on Tohma’s shoulder and looked him in the face. Opening his turquoise eyes, Tohma glanced over at the small teen, then up at the toy upon his head, a slight frown on his face.

“Decided to rejoin us, I see,” the blond said in a cool voice as his fingers continued to move effortlessly on the piano keys.

“Yeah,” the mossy-haired lad murmured as he took a few steps backward while Tohma kept his half-lidded eyes on him. Carefully sitting the plushie on the piano, Ryuichi dropped to his knees and touched his forehead to the expensive Oriental rug, stretching his hands out along the floor as he kowtowed to the golden boy.

Wide-eyed, Tohma ceased his playing and the girls stopped conferring with each other as every eye in the room turned to watch the smallest of them all.

“Seguchi-san, please forgive me for assuming that we were going to do anything more than hang out together. It was wrong of me to assume that your dreams were the same as mine when we hadn’t talked about it. I am truly sorry for assuming, I made an ass out of me,” Ryuichi told Tohma, his voice loud in the huge room.

Tohma watched warily as Ryuichi stayed where he was. Ignoring the quiet girls, he turned on the bench and said, “And why is it that you’ve never told me you had dreams of forming a band of any kind before, Sakuma-san, when we’d lie around in my TV room and talk about everything else? Why did you keep such a secret from me? I thought that we were supposed to be best friends.”

The diminutive teen blanched as he muttered, “Be…because I just…I just figured that we naturally would start one. With your piano and my singing…I assumed, and I was wrong. I’m sorry.”

Tohma continued his stare at Ryuichi as he asked, “And now I ask you, what is your greatest dream, Sakuma-san? What will make you the happiest at this moment?”

Without any hesitation whatsoever, Ryuichi answered, “To be best friends with you forever, no matter what.”

To that the platinum-haired teen replied, “And your second fondest wish?”

Again with no hesitation. “For us to perform at the cultural fair.”

Ryuichi stayed where he was, immobile, his forehead still to the floor as the girls watched the interchange. From Tohma, there was silence, which seemed to stretch on forever as he pondered the situation. Finally, the platinum-topped lad gazed at the dirty pink bunny as it sat on the piano.

“One more question, Sakuma-san. Why didn’t you ever tell me that this creature is why you always kept your bookbag with you? Again, I thought that we were supposed to be best friends.”

Ryuichi took in a huge breath and blew it out slowly before he responded.

“Be…because I thought you would laugh at me and call me a baby like everyone else did whenever they saw him.”

“Have I ever laughed at anything you’ve done, Sakuma-san?” the blond inquired in a neutral voice.

“No,” Ryuichi replied.

“Then why did you think that would change?” Tohma asked.

“I…I don’t know. I guess I assumed…”

“Exactly my point,” Tohma said as he deliberately interrupted. “You assumed I would laugh and call you names. Have I?”

“No. No you haven’t,” Ryuichi whispered.

The silence this time lasted such a long time that Ryuichi dared at last to look up, only to see that Tohma was still watching him. The blond’s dark aqua eyes narrowed as their eyes met.

“Did you think I left, Sakuma-san?” he inquired.

“No. I knew that you were still there. But my foot is falling asleep,” Ryuichi answered.

“Then I suppose it would be best if you got out of that position, Sakuma-san,” Tohma said in a solemn voice.

Ryuichi sat in a cross-legged position as he rubbed at his numb foot, not daring to look at Tohma. “I guess I owe you a lot more than an apology…” he began.

“Yes, yes you do, Sakuma-san. But that is not important at the moment. What is important is that we come up with a name for our band. Am I right Hoshina-san?” The beautiful teen asked as he turned his gaze onto their newest bandmate.

“Damn right, Tohma-san! Otherwise, how are we going to be billed on the cultural fair’s program?” she replied airily.

Tohma winced at the language as well as the more casual use of his name, but smiled slightly nevertheless at the lavender-haired girl. She threw him back a wink as they both looked at Ryuichi as he sat on the expensive rug and continued to rub at his foot.

“I…I’ve been alone for so long, I guess grasping the idea of having a “best friend” is harder than I thought,” the olive-haired teen admitted as he wiggled his foot experimentally.

“Wait…what did you say?” Noriko asked the diminutive teen.

“I said, “I’ve been alone for so long, I guess grasping the idea of…” he began.

“That’s it! Grasping!” she cried as the others stared at her. “No one talks like that normally! Sorry Ryuichi-san, but its true! No one really uses that word, so they’re bound to remember it! Let’s see…grasping…grasp…hmmmmm…”

Noriko’s three best friends, well familiar with the way her mind worked and knowing that she would want some aspect of all three of the musicians in the band’s name, began to voice a few ideas.

“Well, Sakuma-san’s little, and shy and cute too,” Arumi said, turning red as Ryuichi smiled bashfully at her.

“And Seguchi-san’s elegant, tall, and regal. He reminds me of a shogun,” Anzu threw in as she stared at Tohma, who merely raised an eyebrow at the comment.

“And you’re perky, opinionated and you have a huge chest!” Fuu quipped, which caused Ryuichi to giggle as he rubbed his foot some more.

“Well…how about ‘Perky Little Grasper? Perky for me, little for Ryuichi-san and grasper for Tohma-san?” Noriko suggested as she gazed over at the two boys.

“Idunno…” Ryuichi said in a reserved voice as he shrugged and stood up, flexing his foot as he looked over at Tohma, who raised an eyebrow, then shrugged as well.

“I think noisy is more appropriate than perky, don’t you think Ryuichi-san?” Tohma quipped, a slight smile on his face as Ryuichi nodded, wearing a huge grin at the comment.

“Noisy Little Grasper! That’s funny! That one I like!” the mossy-haired boy replied as he doubled over with laughter, along with the three other girls.

“Feh. I’m not that noisy!” Noriko cried as all four laughed even harder at the look on her face.

“I suppose we can work on the name later,” the blond said as he looked over from Ryuichi to Noriko when the laughter finally died down. “But for now, we can be Noisy Little Grasper, at least until we think of something better,” Tohma decided thoughtfully before he scooted over on the piano bench. Ryuichi, seeing room to sit down, joined him, a huge grin still on his face, which caused Tohma to smile as well.

“I’m glad that’s over with! It’s good you two aren’t mad at each other any more! I don’t like to see fighting,” Noriko said as she watched the pair. Ryuichi turned to smile at the lavender-haired girl and nodded in her direction.

“Thanks a bunch Noriko-san, for talking to me before. I owe you,” he told her.

She huffed and glared at him. “We’re friends, Ryuichi! You don’t have to thank me, it’s to be expected!”

She watched as Ryuichi scooted over before he turned to look up at Tohma, who smiled briefly before he scooted over nearly to the end of the bench. Adjusting themselves to add room to the bench, both boys turned to look at Noriko as Ryuichi patted the seat next to him with the huge smile once again on his face.

“Come on Noriko, you’re a member of the band! You should come sit with us!” he said as Tohma nodded in agreement.

“What about us?” Arumi cried as she watched the three band members sit on the piano bench together.

“Oh that’s easy. We’re their fanclub,” Anzu said casually as Fuu nodded in agreement.

“Then we need a name as well!” Arumi said thoughtfully as the two girls gazed at the third as while the three musicians listened to the interplay.

“How about NLG fangirls?” Fuu proposed.

“That won’t work. What if they end up with boys in the club as well? I don’t think they would like being called ‘fangirls,” Anzu explained as Arumi nodded her agreement.

“How about the ‘Noisy Little Grasper 4 Ever’ fan club then?” Fuu said.

“Now that sounds much better!” Arumi commented as Anzu smiled her acceptance.

“Awesome! Now we’re a band with a fanclub! How cool is that?” Ryuichi chirped as the members of the new 'Noisy Little Grasper 4 Ever' fanclub settled down once again to watch the trio on the piano bench.

“It’s all well and good, but unless we do more than one performance, it’s useless, Ryuichi-san,” Tohma pointed out.

“Then I guess we’ll just have to remain a band after the cultural fair, then,” Noriko answered, a smug look on her face.

Tohma gazed coolly at the pair sitting on the bench next to him. “I’ll have to seriously think about it. I still wish to become a concert pianist. After all, it is my parents’ dream. They’ve paid for me to have the finest teachers since I was two years old,” the blond explained.

“But what about what you want, Tohma? Do you want to be a concert pianist…or a rock god?” Ryuichi asked as he gazed into the blond’s eyes.

Tohma thought about that question as everyone else watched the golden boy. Finally, he turned to his fellow band members. “I’ll have to give it some serious consideration…after the cultural fair. But for now, let’s focus on deciding which songs we wish to perform.

“I say we do a cover and then an original song,” proposed Noriko. “Maybe the one I was working on…?”

“That song’s too slow, Noriko! I wanna rock!” Ryuichi piped in.

“Well, we could speed the song up. After all, it has a great beat to it,” Tohma stated. “If you would start your song please Hoshina-san…” he said as he gestured for her to begin playing.

“It’s Noriko, Tohma-san, and sure thing!” She chirped as she once again cracked here knuckles, which caused the platinum blond to wince once more, and then began to play.

She played the song up to where she had stopped once before while both boys listened. “I have an idea where to go with this,” Tohma offered, adding on to what she had already played.

“Wait, let me hear that again!” the lavender-haired girl cried. He played it once more as she listened carefully, then she played it back while he closed his eyes and listened carefully.

“I have an idea!” Ryuichi suddenly said as he scooted back on the piano bench and got his bookbag, patting Kumagorou on the head as he passed the plushie. Reaching inside, he pulled out a notebook and a pencil. Retaking his seat on the bench, he listened and occasionally wrote while the pair worked on the song.

By the time the sun had reached the horizon, Noisy Little Grasper had the basics of its first original song hammered out, and the members of the 'Noisy Little Grasper 4 Ever Official Fanclub' had figured out who had what executive positions. As each member parted to go home, each group promised to eat lunches together and continue working together, as both a band and its official fanclub.

~~~~*
So, the talented musical trio began to perfect their first original song. Each day at lunch, the members of Noisy Little Grasper would meet in the music room, working on it diligently while Ryuichi would work on the lyrics. After school they would meet at the school gates, walk to Tohma’s home, do their homework, then work on perfecting their song in the brightly lit music room, making wonderful music and becoming closer and closer as friends.

As the Noisy Little Grasper fan club members began to coalesce into diehard fans, they would sometimes go to the band's practices to listen. And at lunchtime they’d hammer out their rules and regulations and plan the souvenirs and other various and sundry fan-related items to sell in preparation for the band’s debut at the cultural fair, all ideas of the cooking demonstration laid by the wayside.

And every time the members of 'Noisy Little Grasper 4 Ever' spoke to Tohma, he would pooh-pooh their efforts at creating rules and regulations, sigh and say, “I’ll have to seriously think about it. I still wish to become a concert pianist,” insisting that beyond the fair he would go no further.

Every time, Noriko would secretly tell the fanclub members to continue their efforts, Ryuichi standing nearby and nodding in agreement with her, for they were slowly changing the golden boy’s mind toward becoming a rock musician.

Thus the last few weeks before the fair were spent in enthusiastic preparation for the approaching cultural fair.

No one could have foreseen what was about to happen, not even the smallest boy in both buildings.



~~~~~~~~*
Tsuzuku
(To Be Continued)

~~~~~~~~*

A/N: I wish to thank “my Noriko” from GNG for being the spunky chic you are, and “my Yuuji,” from GNG for miniRyuichi’s pics. Having those pics to look at helped me see my Butterfly Boy, thus helped me write this chapter. Domoarigato. deep bow

~~~~~~~~~~~~*
Japanese/explanations in this track:
*oni – a kind of yokai from Japanese folklore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oni

*obaa-san – Grandmother

*Feh – an exclamation of disbelief, disgust or contempt.

Songs mentioned in this track:
*/'Killer Queen’/ by Queen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZBtPf7FOoM
Sign up to rate and review this story