Categories > Movies > Mulan > The Ballad of Li

Chapter 3

by lightbird 0 reviews

China is under the rule of a new Emperor, whose brutal and excessive rule has brought about famine and suffering throughout the country. Mulan & Shang meet again for the first time in 3 years but t...

Category: Mulan - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Romance - Published: 2006-08-06 - Updated: 2006-08-07 - 3692 words

0Unrated
Chapter 3

There was the heavy sound of large wheels rolling across the gravel outside and Hua Zhou stood up with the aid of his bamboo cane.

"That would be the latest shipment of supplies."

Mulan stood up and followed him out to the front courtyard of the school as two large carts pulled by horses entered the gates. She could see large sacks loaded onto them, probably containing rice and millet and other dry food.

Several of the young students came hurriedly out as well, rushing forward to help the men that had brought the carts to unload their sacks. Mulan stepped forward to assist as well and lifted one of the large sacks off of a cart. It was heavy and burdensome, not just because of the weight of what it contained but because the sacks were difficult to maneuver being so large in length, almost as long as she was tall. Odd for a sack of rice.

She shrugged off the thought and carried her load inside behind the others, following them down into a cellar where the sacks were being deposited. She found that there were already large supplies of rice and dry goods there, as well as a store of weapons of all kinds. She set her load down and turned to follow the others out to retrieve the rest of the sacks.

Once the carts were emptied and all sacks had been dropped off in the cellar, the horses were put away in the stable, the carts stored underneath a small shed beside the stable. Mulan walked down to the cellar with her father, resisting the urge to help him as he hobbled down the steps with difficulty, bracing himself against the wooden banister with one hand, supporting himself with his cane with the other. She knew it would disturb him if she assisted, so she walked slowly behind him and let him help himself down the stairs.

She worked with the other students now, slashing open the tops of the stacks with daggers and pouring the dry rice into large canisters that were placed around the sides of the cellar.

"Be careful," one of the students suddenly warned her just as she felt something hard and sharp lying at the bottom of the sack and the sharp pain of her finger being cut.

She winced and snatched her hand back, bringing her cut finger to her mouth. "Too late," she muttered.

She turned her attention back to the sack after a minute, reaching in more carefully now and retrieving a newly forged sword. She shook off the dust from the dry rice padding that had settled on the sword as it lay cushioned in the grain and held it out in front of her, looking it over and remarking at the craftsmanship.

"You have a good eye," her father said, softly, coming up to stand behind her. "Shen Jing-hao is one of the best sword-makers in China. We are lucky that he lives and works in the next village. We don't have to go far."

After the rest of the rice was emptied into the canisters, she stood up and walked over to the other weapons, laying the sword down with them.

Mulan and her father returned to the study to finish their discussion then.

"So, the Emperor is killing officials with the surname Li."

"Yes. I have no idea why."

"I have heard a rumor about a ballad that has become popular. It foretells the downfall of Luo Di. Perhaps the Emperor's campaign has something to do with this song they are singing. Maybe he's heard it and believes that the lyrics are truly prophetic and an omen."

"The ballad must mention the name Li somehow. That's the only explanation for it. You haven't heard the song, have you?"

He shook his head.

"No. But men have gone, a few at a time, from here to our village and to other villages for supplies, weapons, and to talk to the leaders there. We must stay in touch with the leaders of the organizations in those places and join forces; we will never succeed fighting on our own. They remarked that they heard it on their trips."

"They didn't stop and listen?"

"Not that I know of. They reported the gist of the words, that's it. They never mentioned the name Li."

Mulan thought for a minute then spoke.

"I would like to go on the next errand to one of those villages, Baba. I want to hear this ballad."

Her father looked dubious.

"I've been working in the Imperial Palace for three years now. I know about things from the inside that no one else would be privy to. The ballad may have a lot of meaning for me if I hear it. And I want to know what I'm talking about when I warn Shang."

"Yes, if the surname Li is the common denominator General Li could be in great danger when he is called back to the palace."

"Besides, if I listen to it carefully enough, maybe I'll learn the words. I'll come back and teach it to everyone. If nothing else, it may bring them hope."

Her father sighed and he still looked reluctant, but she could see that he was going to agree. A small smile slowly came to her lips and he gave her a stern look.

"I don't like this."

"I know, Baba. But I won't be alone."

"No, the men have always gone in twos, at least."

"I will be dressed as a boy, and I will go by the name Jiang Hu. Why would anyone look twice at me?"

He nodded. "I'll arrange it so that you are sent on the next errand."

They were silent for several minutes before he spoke again.

"Mulan, I know that you are concerned for General Li's life and that you'd like to see him. But it may be better if I'm the one to warn him. I cannot fight anymore and may therefore remain above suspicion. You are actually a fugitive from the Emperor's service. There is a good chance that the general has orders to kill you; and though I highly doubt he would go through with it, there is no guarantee. We haven't seen him in three years; he may be a changed man now."

"Alright, Baba. It is probably better if I don't see him anyway."

xxxxxxx


Shang cursed under his breath as a wave of annoyance washed over him once again at the delay. The plan had been to buy their supplies in the larger market and move on toward Shangqiu. Instead, they had been stuck in Zhengzhou for a week now; and though at first it had been a relief to be staying inside, out of the stinging cold and eating better food than army rations, he was getting somewhat anxious about the assignment. At times, his impatience got the better of him.

He already had misgivings about the mission after seeing how the people were faring in the countryside, and even here in Zhengzhou. He'd seen more ragged beggars on the street than he ever remembered seeing when he'd traveled here with his father. And even the people who seemed to be making a living looked dour and unhappy. The atmosphere around them was thick with solemnity and misery.

Now he'd received a message from the Imperial City asking him to remain in Zhengzhou temporarily while the Emperor was drawing up further orders for him. He dreaded what those orders would turn out to be.

A waiter approached the table and cleared the empty bowls from their lunches away. Shang sighed and sipped his rice wine, glancing at General Zhao, his more mature companion that had also been delayed there with his troops, waiting for the same instructions. Shang didn't mind spending time with the general who had been a friend of his father's, talking about strategy, learning of his more seasoned comrade's experiences in battle; but he was getting quite impatient with being at a stand-still.

General Zhao's troops were heading toward the third capital that was being built at Jiangdu. There had been news of impending uprisings as far away as the eastern coast and he was assigned to that area.

"I haven't seen the new capital being built at Jiangdu yet," General Zhao was saying.

Shang shrugged. "Neither have I. I haven't traveled that far east ever. But I'm sure when it's built it will be comparable to Chang'an and Luoyang."

"I hope his majesty will be pleased with his new guard. We worked very hard to train those new recruits to take over capital duty while we all have to be out in the field now."

Shang frowned as he thought of that. "They looked so young."

"You're not so old yet yourself, General," his older comrade said with a laugh.

"One of those boys looked like he couldn't have been older than fourteen."

"It's not so bad. They're fubing now. It's employment for them, and an honorable one at that."

Shang nodded agreement and lifted his cup, draining it. He withdrew some money and left it on the table, rising to his feet.

"Going to drill your men, General Li?"

"We're stuck here but why waste time? They get the evenings off to do what they want."

"You have not learned to be calm yet and to just let things happen when they are not in your control. How old are you again now? Twenty-two?"

"The workout keeps them warm. And in shape," Shang insisted.

"And you, too?"

"And me, too," he answered, a smile coming to his face. "I guess I hate standing still."

General Zhao laughed and stood up. "Hold up. I'll go back with you and ask my men to join yours."

They left the inn together and headed down the street, back toward the barracks. They were halfway there when they came across a group of men gathered in a circle outside of a bakery, shouting.

"Must be a whipping of some sort," General Zhao remarked with only half interest after glancing through the large window.

Shang looked through the window and up at what the crowd was staring at and saw that there was a small boy hanging in mid-air, tied by his waist to the beam of the roof of the bakery. The boy's wrists were bound also.

"What the hell...?" he exclaimed.

General Zhao put a hand on his shoulder, holding him back as he was about to walk forward.

"This is not our concern, General."

"But, that's a small child they've hung up there!"

"Let it go."

But Shang shook the older general's hand off of his shoulder and pushed his way through the crowd of men, striding through the doorway and toward the boy. He couldn't have been more than seven years old judging by his looks; though he was so emaciated, it was possible that he could have been older and merely looked that young because of stunted growth from starvation. The boy was filthy, his loose hair unkempt and wild, and he was dressed in layers of torn rags and shoes with holes in them. His bare skin showed through some of the gaping tears in the material and it was a wonder that he hadn't frozen to death yet.

Shang winced as he noted the boy's torso. Through the holes of the rags he could see the ribs that were painfully visible and the rope tied around him seemed to dig into them.

He drew his sword and stepped forward to cut the boy down.

A man stood in his way. "Thank you, Honorable General. I will take care of this little brat myself."

"Why have you tied him up like that? What is his crime?" Shang demanded.

"He's a thief. I caught him stealing food from me. And this is not the first time."

"He's a small child and he's starving to death," he argued indignantly, with no small amount of shock at the man's callousness.

"I run a business, not a charity, Honorable General. It is difficult enough to make a living these days without a little thief stealing food that I have to sell."

"Water," came a small hoarse croak from above.

"What did he steal?"

"Two rolls."

Shang reached into his money pouch and withdrew two one-piece coins, handing them to the man.

"They are paid for now."

He shouldered the man aside and strode up to the boy. He cut the rope and dropped his sword quickly to catch the boy in his arms as he fell, almost afraid to hold the small body for fear of crushing the bones that his hands could feel poking out through the torn material of the boy's clothes and through his own gloves.

He set him down on the ground gently and snatched his sword up, turning to the gathering of men there.

"Get some water," he barked to anyone in particular who would have enough sense to obey.

He cut the rope that was binding the boy's wrists and sheathed his weapon.

A minute later a man appeared with a large cup of water and handed it to the boy, who lapped the liquid up at an alarming rate, stopping only to let out choked coughs as some of it went down the wrong way.

"Easy," Shang told him softly. "What's your name?"

The boy wouldn't answer, remaining intent on gulping down what was left in the cup, not even bothering to wipe the water that had dribbled down his chin.

"He will just be back tomorrow, General," the man that had blocked his way complained. "And this will have to happen all over again."

Shang drew out more coins and handed them to the man. "Give me whatever food this will buy."

The man returned with the rolls and Shang handed them to the boy who stuffed them into the pockets that still existed on his clothes.

"Alright, alright," the flustered bakery owner was calling out in annoyance to the men who were still gathered and gawking at the scene, shooing them away with sweeping waves of his arms. "The entertainment is over. Get lost and let me do my work now."

The crowd slowly dispersed and the man went to tend to the oven, glancing back at Shang as he went. Shang sat silently beside the boy, watching as he took one of the rolls and shoved it into his mouth ravenously.

"What do you think you're going to be able to do for him, Li Shang?"

Shang looked up, startled at the sudden more informal address. Zhao had entered the bakery and he now stood over the two of them.

"You can't take him with you and your troops. That man was right. Things will just be exactly the same for him tomorrow."

The boy finished eating the roll and looked up warily at Zhao. Then he leaped up and darted off, circumventing him and making a beeline for the exit. As he reached the threshold he halted and twisted his body to glance back, looking directly at Shang. His facial expression was an enigmatic mixture of gratitude, sadness and something else that Shang couldn't put his finger on. Then the boy turned away and ran off.

"More like a wild little animal than a little boy," his elder remarked quietly. "He will be stealing again by tomorrow, if not today. Or he will freeze to death."

Shang sighed and dropped his head into his hands.

"I couldn't let them harm him. He's an innocent little child and his situation isn't his fault."

"I know. But you are too idealistic and a little naïve still, I'm afraid. You cannot change the way things are. All you've done is bought him another day or so of struggling. And the next time they have him hung up there you won't be here to stop it."

He raised his head to look at him. "Doesn't it bother you to see things like this, General Zhao?"

"Of course it does. But what can we do? These things exist and we can't change them by ourselves. The boy has obviously either been abandoned by his parents, or they died. Or maybe he's stealing for them. It's not our concern. We have a mission to complete, both of us. Even if the boy hadn't run off, you couldn't have taken him with you. And would you have shirked your duty and your mission and stayed here with him when it came time to move out?"

"No, of course not."

"Try to forget about it, Li Shang. The boy and anything that happens to him is beyond your control."

Shang sighed again and nodded, resigned. He stood up and left the bakery with General Zhao, and they headed back to the barracks.

xxxxxxx

Two days after the incident with the nameless boy an Imperial messenger finally showed up at Zhengzhou with their new orders while Shang was having dinner with General Zhao.

He unfurled the message that had been handed to him and read it. One of the Emperor's council members, Hua Mulan, had deserted and fled Chang'an.

"So, she left," General Zhao mused, in the middle of reading his own message.

"Council member?" Shang exclaimed, feeling his heart skip an entire beat.

Had she taken the position after all?

"Yes," General Zhao answered looking up.

He noticed Shang's shocked expression and began to laugh.

"You look like you've just been hit in the head, Li Shang."

Shang realized then that his mouth was hanging open halfway and he closed it quickly, feeling the redness creep into his cheeks and up into his ears. He shook his head and raised his cup to his lips, to take another sip of wine and so his companion wouldn't see his expression.

"I thought she'd turned down the position," he muttered as he lowered his cup again, staring into it, barely able to get the words out.

"Yes, you were there, weren't you? She was under your command."

Shang nodded. "That was my first stint in the army as a captain."

"You've heard some of the officers refer to the /'young man' /in the palace, haven't you?"

He raised his gaze back to Zhao again.

"Yes. What about it?"

"That was her. The other councilmen and some of the officers that dealt with them called her that."

Shang's eyebrow went up at that. "That's who they meant? They called her the /'young man'/?"

General Zhao began to laugh heartily again but Shang winced, thinking how painful it must have been for her to be treated that way by people she was working with.

"She's been there for three years. I guess you never saw her and no one ever addressed her by name, I don't think. Besides, the council members manage to avoid the military officers most of the time. Which has always suited me."

He continued talking about something else then but Shang had tuned him out already, thinking about the times that he thought he'd seen her. So he hadn't been imagining it; he had seen her those times.

He wondered what had made her flee the Emperor's service in this way. He couldn't believe she would do this; that was not like her at all. Even though for much of the time he knew her as a boy named Ping, he had spent enough time with her, he'd fought side by side with her; and he knew that she was extraordinarily brave and had a high sense of honor and duty. Why would she do this?

He looked at the parchment in his hand, reading and rereading the Emperor's order over again. Mulan was to be brought to the palace for execution; or if it was necessary to execute her before then, her head was to be brought to Luo Di. General Zhao had received the same order, as had the other generals that were leading troops in several directions to put down the rebellions. But Mulan had most likely gone to her home town; and that was where he was going. He would be the one to most likely find her.

xxxxxxx

A/N: The term fubing that was mentioned in this chapter was the name for the professional army that was instituted during the Sui Dynasty (and later adopted by the Tang). Below is a general note about the Sui Emperors and an overview of events that serve as a backdrop for this story for those who are interested. As I noted earlier, Wu Di in this story is based on Emperor Wen and Luo Di is based on Emperor Yang.

Historical Note

Emperor Wen was the founder of the Sui Dynasty. History records that he was frugal in nature and sought to project the image of benevolence in his rule. He is the Emperor that unified the north and south of China and he implemented several policies and standards that helped revitalize the economy of the country. Much of what he put in place paved the way for the flourishing Tang Dynasty that followed. Emperor Yang was his son, who ascended to the throne at his father's death; it is believed that he did murder his father.

Emperor Yang was the exact opposite of his father. He was excessive, brutal and a notorious womanizer. He initiated projects on a grand scale, including the relocation of his capital to Luoyang (and the building of one at Jiangdu), the Grand Canal and he initiated costly military campaigns against his neighbors (costly both in money and lives). Yang Di's extremely extravagant lifestyle and large projects exhausted the labor and resources of the country and under his rule famine ran rampant across the countryside. His attacks against Korea ended in disaster and in the third and last attack, only about 2700 out of 2 million soldiers sent were able to retreat. Eventually, uprisings began one by one against him until finally Li Yuan, a general stationed at Taiyuan, led a successful campaign against Emperor Yang and forced him to flee.
Sign up to rate and review this story