Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Vampire Money

Skeptics and True Believers

by Kaleidoscope_Eyes 1 review

“That doesn’t have to mean anything, Jack. She’s family and family is important.” I sighed but didn’t say anything; I knew he was right. Of course he was right. It sucked when a 17 year o...

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2013-12-17 - 1943 words

0Unrated
“Jesus Christ, Jack! You could have gotten killed!” Patrick nearly shouted at me. Of course, Spencer hadn’t listened to me when I told him not to tell Patrick, I hadn’t really expected him to listen anyway.

Pete stood in the doorway in case I tried to lunge at Trick. Let’s face it, we all knew I would if he pissed me off enough. Hell, he was beyond pissing me off.

“Yeah, well I didn’t, now did I?”I replied.

“But you could have!”

I let out a groan of frustration. “I’m not gonna argue with you about this Trick. I could have gotten killed but I didn’t. I mean do you think I can’t hold my own? I can fight!”

“I never said—”

“And you know I can fight!” I interrupted. “That’s what kills me Patrick! The only reason you don’t want me to is because all of a sudden I’m just so precious to you. Because now there’s a chance that you just might find your cure! I think it’s great that you want to devote all your time to finding this but you never asked me what I wanted and honestly Trick, I don’t care if you find a cure!”

He stared at me incredulously while I just glared back. I was pissed. I was beyond pissed. Patrick could go fuck himself for all I cared right then.

“What about Jo?” He whispered.

I laughed at that. “What about Jo? You seem to be forgetting that she tried to kill me. As far as I’m concerned Jo is dead.” I stormed out of the room quickly, before I hit him and Pete would have to come in and stop me.

Pete followed me out. “So…I guess the wedding is off,” he tried to joke.

I stopped and took a deep breath through my nose before replying. “Not in the mood, Pete.”

“Sorry.” He paused and smiled at me, “Like the hair.”

I smirked and just kept walking to the kitchen. I needed some damn coffee. When I got to the kitchen William and his friends were there chatting away. I had no idea they were still here. Probably thought I was just another damsel in distress.

I was able to get a look at the other two now. The taller of the two had light brown hair and bright blue eyes. He looked pretty lanky and to be about in his late twenties. The other was a little taller than me, which wasn’t really saying much, as nearly everyone was taller than me. He had dark brown shaggy hair and hazel eyes, probably in his mid to late twenties as well.

They turned to me as I walked into the room and the tall one stepped forward. “I’m Dallon. Sorry I didn’t introduce myself earlier.” He extended his hand and I shook it.

The shorter guy stuck out his hand too. “Frank.”

“Jack.” I turned to William, “So who are you guys exactly?”

“William Beckett, professional vampire hunter.” He did a little mock bow and gestured to Dallon and Frank, “And these are my pupils.”

I looked at the two doubtfully, “You’re training the both of them?” He nodded his head proudly and we lapsed into an awkward silence. “So…I saw that crossbow you had. Kinda jealous.”

William chuckled. “Yeah you guys should really get some guns, not all this hand-to-hand crap.”

“Hey, I’m pretty good with a machete!” I protested.

“Not from what I could tell.” William smirked at me and I glared back. This guy was really getting on my nerves. Smug asshole.

“I’ve been out of commission for two months.”

“Must’ve been the lack of a gun.” Frank joked. The three began to laugh while I glared at them.

“I was bitten,” I stated as my lip curled over my teeth.

That made them go quiet. Dallon and Frank’s eyes widened and the reached for their knives but William stopped them.

“You expect us to believe that? I saw you pull the teeth out, you’re no parasite. I call bullshit.”

I crossed my arms in front of my chest. “Oh really?”

He mimicked my posture. “Yes really.”

“You wanna call bullshit on this?” I pulled my collar down to reveal a scar of a very obvious bite mark. William lightly glided his finger across it. “The fuck are you doing?” I shouted, pushing him away.
“I wanted to see if it was an actual scar,” he explained.

“Yeah well it’s real!” I said, disgusted. I heard him mutter an apology and rolled my eyes. This was completely ridiculous. I turned to the cabinets to get my damn coffee when Frank spoke up.

“So how did it happen?”

I closed my eyes and clenched my jaw. “My twin sister.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah.” I continued searching the cabinets for the coffee can.

“Why didn’t you turn?” Dallon asked.

I exhaled loudly, very obviously annoyed with them. “We don’t know.” I turned to them. “Trick likes to think that I’m ‘the key to the cure.’” I said, sarcasm lacing my voice.

“Who’s Trick?”

I laughed humorlessly. “Patrick is our self appointed leader.”

“You sound unimpressed,” William smirked.

“He’s the reason I haven’t been hunting so excuse me if I’m a little upset with the guy. He’s so intent on finding a cure and apparently he can’t do it without me.” I rolled my eyes. “I’m sure there are others like me.”

“You can’t be sure of that,” Dallon countered.

“It is statistically impossible that I am the only one.” I, once again, turned to the cabinet and searched ferociously for the coffee can.

“Jack?” Brendon’s voice came from the hallway.

“Oh my god what? I just want some damn coffee!” I was exasperated. I just wanted my coffee and a shower.

Brendon stuck his head in, he was blushing. “Sorry. Spence is looking for you.” He stepped into the room and extended his hand to the three. “Brendon, hi. Nice to meet you guys.” They all started talking and I just couldn’t take it. I stormed out of the room to find Spencer.

I found him in his room working on some really large gun that looked pretty menacing. “Brendon said you were looking for me. What?” I was sure my annoyance was apparent.

He jumped startled. “What? Oh yeah…I’m really sorry I told Patrick, Jack.” He looked legitimately scared.

I closed my eyes and sighed loudly. “It’s fine Spence.” I looked at the gun in his hands. “You can put the gun down, I’m not gonna hurt you.”

His cheeks flushed red and he started stammering. “No this isn’t—I mean I wasn’t—”

“Relax, it was just a joke.”

He set the gun down and looked at his hands. “The last time I made you mad you slammed me into a wall…”

“Yeah…sorry about that. I’ve got a bit of a temper don’t I?”

He chuckled. “A bit?” He paused. “I’m sorry Patrick’s being all…prison guard.” I shrugged in answer. “He wanted to send Pete after you but he refused and Gerard backed him up.”

“Remind me to thank them then.” I paused debating whether or not to say this next part. “You know the guys I came back with?”

He looked up at me. “Yeah I noticed them on the feed.”

“Their head guy, William, he saved my life tonight.” I looked down at my feet embarrassed with myself. This was one of the few times since the initial outbreak that I couldn’t protect myself. I glanced back at Spencer. “Please don’t tell Patrick.”

He searched my eyes for a moment before nodding his head. “Alright, I won’t.”

I breathed a sigh of relief and left the room but I couldn’t bring myself to go back downstairs. That Beckett asshole was pissing me the fuck off, not to mention his little cronies. Instead I headed up to the roof.

When I got there I sat on the edge and laid on my back to look at the stars. Everything between Patrick and I had gotten so screwed up. We used to be so close but then he turned into this obsessed…thing. Sure we were at each other’s throats a lot but he was still my best friend. He wasn’t the Patrick I was used to. He’d gone from awesome guy to asshole prison guard in a matter of days. It was as if immediately after I’d gotten better from Jo’s bite I was on lockdown. And almost everyone was against me.

Before long I heard the door to the roof open and footsteps walking towards me.

“Trick if that’s you I don’t want to talk,” I shouted.

The feet stopped right at my head and I looked up to see Mikey. “Not Trick,” he said with a smile. He sat down next to me and held out a thermos I hadn’t noticed he was carrying. “Brendon said to bring you this. It’s coffee.”

I sat up and took a huge gulp. “The elixir of the Gods.” I joked. “Thanks.”

He chuckled and pulled out a pack of cigarettes, offering one to me. I took it, too shocked to say no. I turned away from him to look back at the sky and put the unlit cigarette between my lips.

“You know Gerard is going to kill you when he finds out,” I said quietly, taking another sip of my coffee.

Mikey snorted. “Like he’s setting an example. He smokes all the time!”

“Hypocrisy is in his blood,” I joked.

He chuckled again and blew the smoke out of his mouth. We lapsed into a comfortable silence until Mikey leaned over and lit my cigarette. “It’s better if you light it.” I rolled my eyes but didn’t say anything. “You didn’t mean what you said about Jo, did you?” He asked after a few moments.

“Heard that huh?”

“I don’t think I could ever write Gerard off like that.”

I closed my eyes and blew smoke out threw my nose. “He never tried to kill you,” I pointed out.

“Even then I don’t think I could.”

“Easier said than done, Mikey boy.”

“Jack I’m serious! Jo is your sister, I know you love her,” he exclaimed.

“No shit I love her! She’s my fucking sister…but she’s not the same person anymore.” I flicked the ashes off my cigarette and took a long drag.

“That doesn’t have to mean anything, Jack. She’s family and family is important.” I sighed but didn’t say anything; I knew he was right. Of course he was right. It sucked when a 17 year old was smarter than you. “Do you just not have any faith in Patrick to find a cure?” He asked softly.

“It’s not a lack of faith in Patrick; it’s a lack of faith in the cause.”

“You don’t think there’s a cure?”

“Not really, no.”

Mikey sighed but didn’t continue. I stubbed out my cigarette and stood up to go back inside.

“Those vampire hunters you brought back are still here.”

Great. Fucking fantastic. “Really?”

“Yeah, Patrick invited them to stay.”

Awesome. Now I had to go find Beckett and make sure he didn’t go running his damn mouth.
Sign up to rate and review this story