Categories > Original > Sci-Fi

Chimaera [WIP]

by Blaze200038 0 reviews

A short exploration into a dystopian future. I wrote it a few years ago before taking a break. I'd like to finish it, but now the writing seems sub-par. If anyone finds the premise interesting e...

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2013-12-27 - 7886 words

0Unrated
Breathing heavily, I ducked into an ally way and leaned against the wall, scarcely daring to breath. Heavy footfalls passed by me on the street, and I saw the shadow of a large man holding a rifle pass by. A moment later, he came back, looking down the ally. I held my breath as I saw him looking around.

He raised his rifle, an angry expression replacing his tired look as he fired it, a pale blue bolt of plasma flying down the ally way, illuminating it with an eerie blue light, before discharging on a brick wall at the end of the ally. It clearly showed me, pressed against the wall as it passed me, making me a silhouette against the wall. He aimed his rifle at me, pulling the trigger down.

And then something changed.

In the back of my mind, I felt something click. Literally.

I raised a foot against the wall behind me, kicking off of it. I pulled my other leg over my head, flipping over myself. The bolt of plasma impacted on the wall at an angle, leaving a small notch in the bricks, the rest of the glowing blue near-gas sliding over the wall, scorching the paint.

I landed on the far wall, crouching against it. The man's expression slowly changed from anger to disbelief.

That brief exchange felt like minutes. I knew from a chronometer implanted in my brain that less than two seconds had elapsed.

I'm known to my world as EF-89403.

My name is Jonathon Sterge.

I'm the product of an ongoing government 'Creative Research Project'. It
Sign up to rate and review this story