Categories > Original > Romance > Arlette (may change)

Arlette (may change)

by rubedosdragon 1 review

It begins in the dead of night as a child is deposited on the doorstep of an elderly couple.

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Published: 2006-08-08 - Updated: 2006-08-08 - 416 words

0Unrated
Prologue
It was the dead of night, but the setting of our story does not begin in the pitch black. Rather, it begins with the world covered in pure white light. It was mid January and there had just been a fairly heavy snowfall. The full moon cast a silvery glow which reflected off of the whiteness, creating a misty light. It was a very beautiful sight to behold. Like the angels of heaven had descended upon the Earth.
On this night, there was born a child, and on the same night, without even knowing the first stroke of its mother, the child was taken from its home and deposited on the doorstep of a small farm house with little more than a note and a thick blanket to shelter it from the icy cold.
An elderly couple sat inside warmed by the fireplace and whispering sweet words. The firelight gave their faces a glow that had not been seen in years. The wife bustled about waiting on her husband and making a warm tea to heat their old bones. She handed the steaming mug to her hubby with a smile, but a rough knock on the door sent it out of his hand and all over the floor.
The two stared at each other in confusion for a moment. Who could possibly want to see them, and at such a late hour too? The wife stood up, smoothing her skirts carefully, and headed determinedly to the door. The man stopped her with a touch of the arm and a shake of the head. It was too unusual to receive visitors at such a late hour. He stepped ahead of her, resolving to open the door first. If he perceived any danger, she would be safely behind him.
Outside, a young boy of about ten or so, stood holding the infant dearly to his chest. Hearing that his knock had the desired effect, he carefully set the child down, implanting a kiss on her soft forehead. Then wiping away the tears, he ran in the opposite direction.
"Hold it!" cried the old man, opening the door and hurrying after the boy.
"Noah!" came the voice of the woman. He looked in a fright to find his wife staring at a small white lump on their step. The baby inside writhed and cried. Noah turned his grey head just in time to see the boy disappear into the cool night mist. They carried the little one inside.
Sign up to rate and review this story