Categories > Original > Romance > I'll Be Your Favorite Song

4

by tjsparkles 0 reviews

Starting over doesn't have to be frightening.

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Angst - Published: 2014-02-22 - 1104 words

0Unrated
Tiffany assessed herself critically in the mirror. It had been a very long time since she’d been on a date—three years, in fact—and to say she was nervous would be a huge understatement. Luckily, her date was a guy that she knew well: Aiden Taylor. Aiden and Tiffany had been friends for as long as she had dated Peyton, so there would be no uncomfortable silences or the need for pretense. And Aiden was a nice guy, a quiet guy, a gentleman. He’d always been very polite and low-key.

Tiffany wasn’t worried at all about their date, though, if she were honest, she really didn’t think she was ready to start dating again. She and Peyton had split up just eight months ago, but Shiloh, her best friend and cousin, had gently suggested that maybe it was time for Tiffany to stop moping. She had offered to set up the date, but Tiffany had politely declined. She knew that Shiloh was right—moping wasn’t doing her any favors, and besides, Tiffany hated moping. She was usually a positive person, and she tried to see the best out of every situation. But even she couldn’t keep an air of positivity twenty-four seven. Her split with Peyton had left Tiffany reeling, and for a couple of months, she really hadn’t known what to do with herself. She was almost embarrassed how dependent she’d become on another person, and she vowed to never let that happen again.

Tiffany leaned in closer and studied herself in the mirror. She’d opted to go with minimal makeup and casual attire—a pair of faded jeans that she’d owned since her senior year of high school, which made Shiloh insanely jealous—and a pretty, flowing creamy white peasant top. She’d pulled her medium length chestnut hair into a half ponytail, and topped the look off with a pair of black ballet flats. Not too dressy, but not too casual. She didn’t look sloppy, but it didn’t look like she was trying too hard, either. It was just the right amount of dressy.

Aiden was waiting for Tiffany when she arrived at Starbucks. They’d both agreed to meet at a place that was convenient for both of them, and since Aiden worked there and Tiffany only lived a few blocks away, it was the perfect spot. He threw his hand up in a friendly wave as Tiffany stepped inside. She waved in response and walked over to Aiden’s table, where a steaming cup of coffee was waiting for her.

“Aw, thanks, Aiden. You didn’t have to do that.”

“No problem. Is Mexican hot chocolate okay?”

Tiffany smiled. Mexican hot chocolate was her favorite beverage and one of her favorite Starbucks beverages. She was touched that Aiden remembered that.

“It’s perfect, thank you. Sorry I’m late.”

“I just got here myself,” Aiden replied. He took a sip of his beverage. “I’m happy you came, Tiffany.” He flashed a smile, one that was meant to be both reassuring and warm. Tiffany’s fears and nerves instantly dissipated, and the rest of the hour was spent regaling one another with tales of their respective pasts. Aiden told Tiffany about his first day at Starbucks, and how humiliating it had been when his manager had embarrassed Aiden in front of everyone for not understanding how to prepare an order, and Tiffany told him about her brother, her family, and what growing up in California had been like.

Aiden was a perfect gentleman the entire time. He asked Tiffany if she wanted a refill, or perhaps something to eat, and refused to take any money when Tiffany offered to pay. Aiden insisted that it was his treat, and Tiffany thanked him profusely. It had been a very long time since she’d been on a date, and even Peyton hadn’t paid for their first date. They had each paid half.

Being treated this way was foreign to Tiffany, but she found that she enjoyed it a lot. He listened to her, actually listened, and actively engaged in conversation with her. Tiffany was even more surprised when Aiden laughed at her jokes. He was genuinely enjoying himself, and so was Tiffany. She was glad that she had decided to take the plunge and throw herself back out into the land of the living.

She and Aiden shared many of the same interests: independent and foreign films, Thai food, and obscure, underground music, as well as a passion for animals, and Tiffany couldn’t remember a time when she’d actually had a passionate, in-depth conversation about the portrayal of women in comic books that anyone bothered to listen to. Her brother usually just gave her a blank stare, Shiloh was disinterested, and Peyton outright disagreed with her. She’d quickly learned to keep her opinions to herself most of the time, because no one seemed to actually want to listen.

But Aiden was different, and Tiffany wondered why, in all the time they’d known each other, they had never spent more time together. They were both laid-back and preferred a night in to going out and partying.

Admittedly, Tiffany had been sour on the idea of another relationship so soon after her split with Peyton, and she wasn’t going to pretend like this date would lead to a relationship with Aiden, but all things considered, she’d had a blast, and she wouldn’t be opposed to going out on another date with Aiden. The topic of her breakup had never been brought up, which Tiffany was grateful for, because she really didn’t know what she would have said. It wasn’t Aiden’s problem, anyway; it was hers. He didn’t need to be bogged down with Tiffany’s baggage, though Tiffany knew that Aiden would openly welcome the chance to listen to her if he needed him to. That was apparent from just one date.

Furthermore, it was time to let the past be the past. Tiffany had never been scared of the future, just a little apprehensive. She didn’t like not knowing what could possibly happen, because she liked having control over every aspect of her life. But that was the beautiful thing about life—even though it often brought chaos and destruction, it also brought love, happiness, and new beginnings.

Tiffany had no idea what was in store for her future, but she couldn’t wait to jump headlong into it and find out. No regrets, no fear.
Sign up to rate and review this story