Categories > Anime/Manga > Full Metal Alchemist > Silver Fire

Exam Day

by WinterOblivion 0 reviews

Secrets are not meant to be told. Pasts are meant to stay in the past. Sometimes things don't go as planned and when that happens trouble arises. When you involve Roy Mustang, two unknowns and the ...

Category: Full Metal Alchemist - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Humor - Characters: Alphonse Elric,Edward Elric,Maes Hughes,Riza Hawkeye,Roy Mustang - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2014-02-28 - Updated: 2014-02-28 - 1497 words

0Unrated
"So tell me again brother, why are we in central?"

"Because I want to see what these new comers got going for them."

"You just want to prove you're number one." said Alphonse irritated.

"If you say so Al. All I want is to see what they got. We keep losing alchemist like flies, we need good ones to replace them."

As the two brothers approached the entry into the testing grounds, a familiar face greeted them with such excitement, that made Ed's mood turn sour. "Good to see you boys!" shouted Lieutenant Colonel Hughes. "What brings you to the capital?"

"We've come to see the new talent." responded Al.

"Ah," said Hughes, his happy mood darkened and Ed noticed.

"What?" he asked.

Hughes smiled, dark thoughts swimming in his mind. "Not to worry Ed, just work related stuff. You two go enjoy yourselves, I must be off to find Mustang." Hughes ran off before either of the boys could ask what was going on of what he wasn't telling them.

"I'm sure it's nothing, if it was important, he would have told us."

Ed and Al continued to make their way to the testing grounds when a figure rushed passed them, shoving Ed almost to the ground.

"Hey, what the hell is your problem?" he shouted as he got to his feet. When he looked up he caught the glance of the person who shoved him. It was a women.

The woman looked at him but said nothing before continuing her rush through the halls.

"I wonder who she is." said Al.

"Why? She's nothing but rude."

"Just because she was in a hurry, doesn't mean she's a rude person. Who knows, maybe she's an alchemist we're destined to meet."

"You keep telling yourself that."

"Let the demonstration part of the exam begin!" came a voice in the distance.

Ed and Al began to run. "Damn, we're going to miss it!!" growled Ed. "Hurry up Al!"

"This demonstration portion of the exam has changed. Instead of just demonstrating your abilities alone, by orders of the Fuhrer, you will be demonstrating by face off." there were gasped of concerns in the air.

"A face off?" whispered Ed, not quite believing in what he just heard.

"Each participant will be paired up with one of the our military's skilled alchemist. Your skills will be tested to their limits and when we call time, that is the end of your demonstration exam. Now, prepare yourselves!"

Each of the testing students lined up and were assigned to a state alchemist. All of whom Ed knew were good but not top of the line good. All were pretty average by military standards but he also knew that none of the testing newcomers knew of that. To them, the alchemist must look like gods. Ed scanned the testers, half of them looked scared and the other half looked over confident. However, there was one who looked neither, she looked collected but still on edge, he would be too if he were in her place. Taking a closer look, he realized that she was the woman who almost knocked him to the ground.

"It's her!" said Ed unknowingly.

"Who brother?"

"That woman who shoved me! She's a participant!"

Al looked out among the lot, she was towards the middle and the only woman competing.

"She's the only woman out there." said Al in awe.

"She's got guts I'll tell you that, but I don't know if she'll be able to hold her ground against these alchemist. I mean I know they're no top of the line, but still, they're second best."

"You shouldn't judge a person by their gender or their appearance. Who knows, maybe she'll even show you or Mustang up."

Ed chuckled unconvinced but said nothing more and waited for her to be the next one up. So far only two of the first five people passed, another four quit. There was only the woman and another man who looked shaken by the intensity of the pass fights. Ed studied the woman, she still had that collected look on her face, but somehow her features seemed more intense and clear than on edge. He took her appearance in, not only her demeanor, but also her full appearance. He noticed the long flow of her loose curled dark hair cascade down the front of her, her black tank top and navy pants. She looked ready for combat but at the same time elegant.

"Oksana Steel!" she heard her name shouted by the overseer. It was her time, her time to show everything she has. It all counted on this moment; she had already passed the written portion but if she failed this it would all be over and she couldn't have that. She had too much at stake to fail, all she ever thought she was and all she believed she stood for would all be for nothing if she falls. She stepped forward and examined the state alchemist before her. He looked strong and well prepared. His face gave nothing of how he felt away, he looked as cold as stone. She readied herself for the fight when a man with onyx eyes held up his hand to the overseer.

"I will take his place." he said with a small smile.

The state alchemist before her stood straight and saluted to the man before moving aside. The man with the onyx eyes step in his place and the fight began. Oksana barely had a moment to think of her move when a burst of flame came straight for her. She dodged it, but only by a small percentage. Part of her right arm was burned by the flame but she couldn't attend to it now, the wound would have to wait. More flame came at her, all she could do to retain her ground was dodge, he didn't even give her a chance to counter his alchemy, he just kept coming relentlessly.

"Well come on, show us why out of all the participants why you should become a state alchemist!" he roared to her over his destructive flames.

Oksana, sick of his relentlessness stopped dead in her tracks as a hurl of bright red flames came at her. She heard cries from the watching bystanders that she's crazy or that she has a death wish, but she didn't move. He wanted her to show what she had, well she was ready to give the Flame Alchemist a taste. The flames hurled faster towards her, it was only a matter of seconds before they would engulf her. Gasps filled the air, as the flames took her in. Everyone waited to see the damage that lied between the flames. As they dissipated, the air was dead silent. Oksana, down on one knee with her left hand thrust to the concrete ground below her, was encircled by a sphere of transparent silver. She heard whispers of disbelief and awe around her, she looked up to the Flame Alchemist, his face was in shock. She took this moment of distraction to make her move. She twisted her hand to the right on the ground, making the sphere disappear and reappear into moving liquid silver. The whips of silver plunged into the ground, breaking it all apart before going in so deep that the ground only made a slight hum. Everyone waited to see what would happen next, the man with the onyx eyes snapped out of his shock and realized what was happening and went in for the attack. He ran from his currently location, trying to anticipated where her next attack would come from, he knew that the liquid silver would not stay hidden for long and that if he was to have a chance, he must act now. One after another, he sent flames her way causing ultimate destruction to the surrounding area. Bystanders rushed out of the way as flames were redirected their way as Oksana used her right hand to deflect his attacks.

Roy, realizing he needed a new tactic, diminished his flames. He took a moment to think, a moment he didn't have. The humming of the ground became louder and the ground made a slight rumble. He knew her attack was coming, he only needed to figure out when and break that part of her alchemy, giving him time to come up with a new strategy of attack. As a strategy began to form, all was too late, the floor shook with violence and began to crack. Suddenly, pillars of alive silver liquid thrust high into the sky. The shaking and humming stopped, but only for a second before, in a rush, came hurdling down like spiked water on top of him. There was no way to dodge it, the ground was too pulled up to run on and his flame could do nothing to help him. He stood there with his pride and waited for the final blow.
Sign up to rate and review this story