Categories > TV > Knight Rider > Oh What a Tangled Web

Chapter 9

by hobbeth 0 reviews

Kelly goes searching for answers

Category: Knight Rider - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure - Published: 2006-08-08 - Updated: 2006-08-09 - 1075 words

0Unrated
Kelly arrived at the Cameron Enterprises complex, surprised that she hadn't been stopped by Michael or her father. She parked her car and hurried inside. When the elevator let her out on the top floor, where Gregory Cameron's office was, the secretary looked up and smiled.

"Hello, Kelly. What brings you here?"

"Is he here, June? I really need to see him. It's important, and kind of personal to both of us."

"Hang on. Let me make sure he isn't in the middle of something he can't break away from." June stood up and went through the door into his office. Less than a minute later, she was back. She held the door open and said with a smile, "Go on in."

"Thanks, June." Kelly went into the inner office and the door was closed behind her. Gregory looked up and smiled at her.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit, Kelly?" He stood up and walked around the desk, moving toward her.

"I need to talk to you about - well I-"

"Come, sit down." He led her over to a sofa and they sat next to each other. He noticed the bandage on her head. "What happened? Are you all right?"

"I am, or will be. Someone took a couple of shots at Michael and me and one bullet grazed me. I just have a bit of a headache which is easing off."

"I'm sorry this happened to you. But that's not why you came to see me, is it?"

"No. I have to ask you something. I know that you knew Mother before she was married. I need to know how well you knew her."

"What do you mean?"

She hesitated, looking down. Finally she looked directly at him. "Were you physically intimate?"

"When you said personal, I didn't realize how personal you meant. Why do you ask?"

"I - well I came across some information that my father is not Arthur Peterson, but you. If that's true, it would explain a lot of things."

"Kelly, I wish I were, but you were born about a year after I last saw your mother, prior to her marriage. I don't see how I can be."

She turned and pulled a paper out of her purse, which she had laid beside her. "Actually, my birth date isn't what we've believed it to be all these years. I stopped at the bank and checked my father's safety deposit box before I came here. I found another birth certificate in it, one that says I was born four months earlier. And it says something else." She handed it to him.

Stunned, he took it from her and read it. "My God, Kelly! How can we be sure this is real? I mean I want it to be, but I want to be sure."

"It must be. Why else would he keep it in his safety deposit box? And it explains why he's been treating me like he has all these years."

Before either of them could say another word, the door burst open and Michael came through. "Kelly, are you okay?"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Cameron. I couldn't stop him. He just brushed by me."

"It's okay, Mrs. Nichols. I suppose I should have been expecting him. Come in, Mr. Knight."

June retreated, closing the door again. Michael moved further into the room. "Kelly?"

"I'm fine, Michael. But I am surprised that you didn't get here before I did. Why didn't you?"

"I contacted Devon - my boss and my friend - and told him what had happened. We agreed that you should see Cameron. I've been tracking you from a distance to make sure you arrived here. But I was worried that it would be too much for you after what happened this morning."

"Then you must have realized that I heard what was said in the foyer." She turned to Gregory and looked at him. "And it's true. We have the same eyes."

He gazed back at her, a look of wonderment and delight growing. He took her face gently between his hands and said, "We'll do whatever it takes to prove that birth certificate is genuine, that you really are my daughter." He paused, looking into her eyes. "My daughter." Then he leaned forward and kissed her forehead, bring tears to her eyes. She reached out and hugged him.

As Michael watched, they finally separated and she said, "What happened? Why did Mother marry him instead of you?"

"It was all my fault. I loved your mother, still do. But for reasons I can't go into here, I had to leave. I intended to return, and to write your mother while I was gone. But just two weeks later I accidentally walked into the middle of a bank robbery and was shot. I was in a coma for six weeks, and no one knew who I was - the robbers had taken my ID with them. When I came out of it, I had amnesia for several more weeks and by the time I remembered who I was, and tried to contact her, she was already married. I didn't return until after you were born. I really believed you were Peterson's daughter; I never thought otherwise. And now, to find out that you're mine, it's like - it's wonderful."

Michael sat down on a chair facing them. "This is all very well and good, but it doesn't explain why he went through this elaborate charade."

"What do you mean? What charade?" Gregory asked.

Kelly replied for him. "Da- Arthur Peterson isn't dead. He staged the whole thing - he and George. He showed up in the mansion about two hours ago."

"What?"

Michael told them what Arthur had said. "I don't know why he'd say that everything would be ruined if you were to talk to Carlton."

"Michael," replied Kelly, "I remember. I guess the trauma of the shot caused me to remember what he locked in my subconscious."

"You remember the part of the information he gave you?"

She made a scoffing noise. "Information, he calls it. Arthur Peterson is a liar. He's lied to you, to me, to everyone. I still can't say what he planted in me, just that he did plant something in me. All I can tell you is what I just said; he's a liar."

"Then I was right!" Gregory exclaimed. "The information isn't something vital, that would cause someone to kill."
Sign up to rate and review this story