Categories > Anime/Manga > Neon Genesis Evangelion > Usque Omnis Unis

Death of a Dream

by Classic_Cowboy 4 reviews

the Decepticons strike and one's long term plans are shattered

Category: Neon Genesis Evangelion - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Crossover, Drama, Humor, Romance, Sci-fi - Characters: Asuka Langley Soryu, Gendo Ikari, Misato Katsuragi, Rei Ayanami, Shinji Ikari - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2005-06-14 - Updated: 2005-06-15 - 4062 words

2Original
Chapter 4: Death of a Dream

"We're here Asuka," Shinji grinned as Hotrod came to a screeching halt before Misato's apartment, throwing Asuka into the seatbelt before she fell limply back into her seat breathing heavily. "What's wrong, As-chan?" Shinji quipped in a playful tone Asuka had never heard from him before and had her heart not been racing a hundred miles an hour she'd smack it out of his mouth.

Shinji chuckled when all she did in response was gasp for breath, and climbed out of the car. He came around to Asuka's side and opened the door. Asuka watched from the corner of her eyes as Shinji removed her wheelchair and unfolded it. "Ok, Baka ..." She breathed, "You're going to take Drivers Ed ...Or I WILL kill you ... No way I'll let you get killed just because Misato taught you how to drive!"

"Oh, so you do actually care about me?" Shinji smirked, as he reached across her to unsnap her seatbelt.

"Wha?!?" She gawked, blushing slightly, "No! I just don't want to have to pilot your ugly assed, obsolete EVA."

"Uh huh ..." Shinji nodded.

"What are you ... HEY!" Asuka yelped as Shinji scooped her up in a cradle causing her to go into a full fledged blush as she unintentionally leaned into his chest, "I'm not an invalid! I can get out on my own!"

Shinji didn't say a word as he plopped her down into the wheelchair, "Ok, I'm lightening up your food, Asuka," Shinji teased, "For a girl who's been in a coma, you're pretty heavy ..."

"WHAT?!? YOU BASTARD!! ARE YOU CALLING ME FAT? YOU UNGRATEFUL ... HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I SAVED YOUR BAKA HENTAI TAIL AND YOUR PATHETIC LITTLE PURPLE CRAP-FILLED JOYRIDE?!? GAAAAAAAAAAH!" Asuka screamed in rage, causing many around them to turn to look.

Shinji just smiled, "I've missed you too, Asuka," He patted her shoulder, before pushing her into the apartment building, while she continued cursing.

----

Misato grinned when she heard the screamed German curses from the hallway and quickly moved toward the door. The apartment had been far too quiet since everything happened. "Welcome home, Asuka!" Misato beamed as Shinji opened the door and wheeled the irate German girl into the apartment.

Asuka just grumbled a little as Misato approached her. "How are you feeling Asuka?" Misato asked her teenaged roommate.

"Peachy ... can I get out of this stupid chair yet?" Asuka asked with an irritated tone.

"The Doctor said you need to take it easy for a while," Misato nodded firmly, "So you're just going to have to relax! And I've already prepared us a feast in honor of your return home, Asuka!" Misato beamed, not noticing Asuka's arms shoot up and grip Shinji's arm in fear.

Asuka looked and a puzzled look crossed her features when Shinji didn't look half as shocked or fearful as she was, in fact he looked somewhat smug. He answered her mental query soon enough. "I'm sorry, Misato, but you know I have that early morning meeting so I'm going to go ahead and call it a night ..." Shinji said, prying his arm from Asuka's grasp.

"Yeah," Asuka fallowed his lead, "That trip from the hospital has wore me out ... and those beds are about as comfortable as those damned futons ... so I think I'll go on to bed too ..." she said, rolling toward the bedrooms, but yelped when Misato grabbed the handles of her wheelchair.

"Oh no you don't, Asuka," Misato said firmly, holding the wheelchair firm, though Asuka was spinning the wheels so fast it was practically smoking, "You have to eat something to regain your strength!"

"But ... But ... But ... if I eat your cooking I'll wind up back in the hospital!" Asuka whined pitifully, but yelped when Misato let go of the wheelchair making the teen almost lose control and fly into a wall.

Asuka and Shinji looked at each other then back to Misato who was hunched forward with her long purple hair masking her eyes. "I ... I see ..."

"I ... I know I'm a horrible guardian ... and ... I ..." She paused to sniffle a moment and gulped before continuing. "But I'm doing the best I can ... and ... since I lost Kaji ... you two ... y-you two are all I have now and ... I just want to do what I can for the both of you ... I ... guess I'm just the screw up everyone said I'd be!"

Shinji and Asuka paused and looked at each other then at Misato then at each other again, guilt of their actions eating them away. "Ok ..." Shinji sighed.

"We'll eat your cooking ..." Asuka said in a soft tone as they both moved toward the kitchen.

Misato still said nothing, but followed them in. "You don't have to ..." she said pitifully as they all set at the table.

"No it's ok," Shinji said using a pair of chop sticks to pick up some very thick noodles and took a bite. "Yeah it's GreEEEEEEEEEEEate, Misato ..." He moaned as he forced himself to swallow the decomposed flesh-tasting noodles. The blinked as he turned to see Asuka shoveling it all down at such a speed Touji would even call it rudeness.

"This is SOOOOOOOOOO good Misato!" Asuka purred as she continued to stuff her mouth fuller and fuller.

"Umm ... Asuka?" Shinji blinked.

"As much as you've been in that hospital you should realize that compared to that garbage this crap's French cuisine!" Asuka said, before picking up the plate and shoveling down even more.

"You've got a point ..." Shinji shrugged, and picked up his plate, "Bottoms up!" he said before following suit with a minimum of gagging.

"I knew you'd fall for that!" Misato said with a forced laugh, rubbing her eyes with the back of her hand.

Shinji gave a slight smile before getting up and completely throwing Misato off her game by giving her a gentle hug. "A bit untraditional, but you are a good guardian, Misato-chan." He said, before going toward his room leaving the two surprised girls at the table.

"Um ... Misato?" Asuka asked watching after the way Shinji left, her eyes holding confusion and curiosity. "What's with Shinji?"

Misato smiled slightly, taking mental note of the way Asuka had said Shinji's name, which was rare anyway, but without any spitefulness either. "He's growing up, Asuka, he's growing up."

-----

Asuka's eyes slowly fluttered open early the next morning as a strong smell made its way into her nostrils. Its effects were instant as it welcomed her to the new day ... and Asuka grabbed her trashcan beside her bed and emptied her stomach.

She climbed out of the bed, her legs still a little shaky but she was determined not to use that damned chair anymore.

She walked slowly out of her room and gulped when she saw Misato busy over the stove. "Guten Morgen , Misato ..." Asuka reluctantly announced her presence.

"Oh, Guten Morgen!" Misato beamed at the redhead. "Did you rest well? Are you sure you should be standing? Are you hungry?"

"Yes, Yes, and No, not really thanks," Asuka said staring at the strange brown substance on the plates on the table. "Grits aren't really my thing ..."

"............Those are scrambled eggs ..." Misato said slowly blinking at the substance that almost looked like it was breathing.

"Where's the Baka?" Asuka said poking the substance with a fork. "He usually makes breakfast ..." She finished with a gulp as the metal fork broke off in the substance.

"Oh he's gone to his Unit Commander meeting this morning, then to his leadership training classes." Misato stated not glancing back as she began taking the black strips of bacon off the skillet.

"Ah ok ..." Asuka said toying with the thick sludge on her plate before flicking it to the ceiling as she jumped to her feet in shock, "NANI?!?!?!"

"Oh, long story, you familiar with the race called Autobot Transformers?" Misato asked, sitting down at the table.

"From the planet Cybertron: Optimus Prime commander, fought to protect mankind from their enemies who were invading the earth back pre-second impact before finally forcing them back and returning to Cybertron. They wanted to set up a base here just incase, but the UN proved their idiocy and said no... those Autobot Transformers?" Asuka asked, nodding curiously.

"Studied in college too?" Misato asked dully with half closed eyes.

"Oh yes," Asuka beamed, "I took Cybertronian/Terran War for my history elective and also took a semester in Cybertronian for a unique foreign language."

"Well, Optimus Prime and the Autobots have come to help us take on the one who sent the Angels, Asuka," Misato explained, "He's also recruited Rei and Shinji into his forces. Rei's working with the Dinobots and Shinji's been put in command of an Autobot Ground Strike Unit. He went early this morning specially to take leadership training by Prime and some of the other Autobot leaders."

Asuka only sign of emotion was a blink.

"Asuka?" Misato asked worriedly. "Are you ok?"

Blink

"You're starting to worry me ..." Misato eased away.

"The car Shinji picked me up in yesterday ..." Asuka asked dangerously, "The red sports car with flame paint job ... that was a self-driving Autobot wasn't it?"

"Yeah, that was Hotrod, he's my body guard." Misato gulped.

"Oh, I see," Asuka nodded strangely, "Is he still here or did he go with the damned Baka?"

"Yeah ... he came back after taking Shinji to Central Dogma, why?" Misato blinked.

"Good, I'll be right back ..." Asuka said standing up and taking the two plates of the sludge and quickly left the apartment.

----

Shinji was tired.

No.

Tired wasn't the word. It was far too early to get up for that crap. Far, far too early. The Unit Commander Meeting was basically the group of robots gathered together, discussed patrol schedules. That Shinji could see as being important but to discuss for two hours? And then ... Oil Changing ... "Kami-Sama why have you forsaken me ..."

"Ready for your first lesson, kiddo?" The tall red Autobot known as Ironhide said as he approached the teen. "Prime said you got a lot a potential, So we'll just go over the basic scrap at first."

"Um ... ok ..." Shinji blushed slightly as he followed the Autobot through the hallway of Central Dogma.

Shinji was led into a massive room with two computer consoles, one human sized and the other Autobot sized. "Alright big guy, take a seat and let's get down to teachin' and learnin'." Ironhide said as he sat at the larger console. Shinji sat down at his and looked up patiently at the Autobot.

"Oh for the love of the Matrix, Prime, you wantin' to bore the kid to death?" Ironhide complained as he looked through his testing list on screen. "Command terminology and vocabulary ... passed." He said clicking a button, "You took these test kid, remember that, "Battle strategies through out earth history ... passed. Battle strategies through Cybertronian history ... passed. What the heck ... Command professionalism? You look like a good kid, passed. Now, here we go, scenario quizzes, these are where you learn!"

Shinji watched as questions appeared on his screen. "These are simple scenario examples, kid," Ironhide explained, "Answer how you would respond to each, the next question will depend on how you answer the previous."

"Shouldn't be so hard ..." Shinji said as he read over the first question.

/Several hours later/...

"Only a few more, Shinji ..." Ironhide said with an apologetic smile as the boy returned to the room after a short break.

"That's what you said four hours ago ..." Shinji moaned as he plopped down into his seat.

"We'll be done in two hours, promise!" Ironhide grinned, earning a groan from Shinji.

-----

Gendo sat inside his office patiently as Fuyutsuki finally walked into the door. "How did it go?" the Commander of NERV asked with little concern in his voice.

"The United Nations aren't happy," Fuyutsuki sighed, "Between the fact that the Angels have been missing for months and NERV aligning with the Transformers, they're really, really unhappy. Preemptive strike unhappy."

"That's to be expected," Gendo said as his old friend sat down in front of the desk.

"Word is Commander Prime's been making you crazy." Fuyutsuki asked, quirking an eyebrow at the elder Ikari.

"He's attempting to interfere with my plans," Gendo growled, clenching his gloved fist.

"Imagine that, Optimus Prime trying to save lives," Fuyutsuki whispered under his breath.

"Prime doesn't understand," Gendo growled narrowing his eyes on the sub-commander.

"With all do respect, Commander," Fuyutsuki said standing up. "You are an excellent leader, but Optimus Prime's experience passes you by a few millennia."

Gendo started to respond when the base alarm went off. Gendo and Fuyutsuki quickly moved to the command center and looked down at the busy Autobots and NERV Personal. "What's the situation?" Fuyutsuki asked, glancing around the commander.

"We've got a massive incoming," Maya stated from her station.

"Angel?" Gendo asked on habit.

"No, it's the Decepticons," Gold Bug stated, as Prime crossed his arms.

"Transform the Geofront." Prime ordered, pointing toward the monitor. "Ready Unit 01 and all available units for combat."

"Transform ... the Geofront?" Fuyutsuki asked, turning toward Gendo.

"According to the big red truck our defenses weren't adequate ... so the Autobots have spent the last few weeks upgrading the Geofront ..." Gendo sighed crossing his arms. "Autobots and their damned super-canons ..."

"Anything you'd like to add, Commander Ikari?" Prime as sarcastically as he turned to his former friend.

"Yes," Gendo placed his elbows on his desk and laced his fingers, "Prep Unit 02 for launch and get Pilot Sohryu."

"But sir," Maya gasped, turning to face him, "Asuka just got out of the hospital, she can barely stand up let alone pilot an Evangelion!"

"Did I ask your opinion?" Gendo asked, glaring at the young woman, who sheepishly turned back to her console, "I didn't think so. Ready the EVA. I refuse to let a full force of Autobots and an Evangelion battle without a NERV controlled EVA involved."

Prime just narrowed his optics before turning back to the command bridge.

-----

"Eww ..." Asuka sighed, as she rode in the passenger seat of Hotrod, with Misato riding beside her in the driver's seat.

"That's what you get for dumping that glop in my seats, Red," Hotrod chuckled, as he rocketed down the street toward the elevator to Central Dogma.

"Hey, I'm not the tin can who went along with the stupid Baka's plan at scaring me, am I?" Asuka shouted at the dashboard, "Speaking of the baka, I'm going to kick his hentai ass!"

"How is he a hentai for doing that, Asuka?" Misato asked turning toward the raging teen.

"Oh it's plain to see, Misato!" Asuka flailed out her arms, "He probably was wanting to scare me so I'd crawl into his lap like a scared little wussy girl then he was going to take advantage of me! I'm going to crawl all over him alright!"

"Hey, Red, if you wanted on top, I'm sure Shinji won't mind at all!" Hotrod chimed in, causing Asuka to turn the color of her hair.

"WHAT?!? Are you trying to say that I want the Baka in bed???" Asuka blanched, blushing even brighter. "Why would I ever ... EVER want to do something like THAT!?!"

"Oh ... I don't know," Hotrod drawled as he slide into the elevator sideways. "I've read some of the mission reports, and he's saved your cute little butt cheeks a few times, you may want to show him how grateful you are ..." he said suggestively.

"Oh yeah?"

"NO, NOT THE LEATHER!!"

-----

A short while later Asuka sat in the women's locker room, fully dressed in her decompressed plug suit. "I can do this ..." Asuka said to her self as she stood up. "I can do this ..." she walked outside the locker room and gasped when she saw Shinji walking with a group of Autobots. No matter how much she's read about them, seeing the Autobots in the flesh ...err metal was a sight to behold.

"Ok, Shinji," she heard the Autobot called Wheeljack speak as they got nearer. "We'll give you cover fire, you cut lose and show those Deceptichops how deep a hole they've dug themselves."

"Got it," Shinji nodded, before his eyes fell on Asuka standing there staring at him. "Hi, Asuka..."

"Shinji ..." She started but suddenly what ever she was going to say was caught in her throat and she felt heat rise to her cheeks. 'Mien Gott, don't blush ... don't blush ... don't ...crap.' She thought as her eyes settled on the Autobot symbol on the other teen's chest.

"These aren't Angels out there, Asuka," Shinji said with a small smile.

"I know that!" She spat, though any spite in her voice was countered by it squeaking.

"I know, just ... be careful up there, Asuka," Shinji said patting her shoulder, "Need me, just call ok?"

"I won't," Asuka forced out, "I'm the Great Asuka Langley Sohryu! If anyone will be needing help, it'll be you needing mine!"

Shinji grinned at that, "More then likely. See you up top, Asuka!" he said as he and his unit passed her by.

Asuka watched them walk by, most of the Autobots giving her a small nod. She brought her hand to her chest and took a series of deep breaths. "Slow down damn you ..." she hissed at her chest, "What is wrong with me?"

Asuka quickly made her way to the plug chamber and entered her Entry Plug, not missing the fact her hands were trembling slightly.

"I know you haven't had a sync test Asuka," Misato came on the com, but just ... do your best Asuka. The Autobots and Shinji will be with you up there so just do the best you can."

Misato crossed her arms worriedly, jumping slightly when Maya spoke up. "Incoming!" she glanced up at the monitor, to see the massive Decepticon carrier Deception approaching at high speeds, despite the fact the Geofront's newly installed canons' fire was ripping at its hull.

The bridge crew gasped as the massive ship plunged into the armored Geofront and ripped through it. Half of the carrier stuck up like a tower on the upper side of the shield-like platform while the front half hung over the NERV headquarters menacingly.

"Good god ..." Misato gasped as Decepticons began to spill from both sides of the ship. "All units! Attack! Launch 01!" Misato ordered the bridge.

(Lunch)

"Decepticons!" Megatron called as he leapt from the rear of the ship, and blasted one of the Geofront's canons. "BREACH THEIR DEFENSES!!"

Soundwave jumped up and grabbed the bottom of Starscream in his jet form as they flew toward one of the elevator platforms. Starscream fired a series of missiles that destroyed the shielded door and dropped Soundwave before it.

The Tape-deck based Decepticon's chest opened and four human-sized cassettes shot from his chest and transformed into a bird, a panther, and two humanoid type robots. "Rumble, Frenzy, Ravage, Lazerbeak, destroy Central Dogma. The Insecticons and a large group are in route as a diversion and backup."

The four mini-decepticons acknowledged the orders, and entered the shaft. "Soundwave to Megatron," the large blue Decepticon spoke as he pressed the side of its head, "Stage one complete."

"Excellent," Megatron grinned, as he blasted another defense tower. "Decepticons! Draw out as many Autobots as you can, destroy everything!!"

-----

"Evangelus Unit has engaged Decepticons on the northern part of the Geofront, Major," Maya stated typing at the command center.

"What's 02's status?" Misato asked as the whole base trembled from an explosion.

"She's barely passed border line," Maya sighed, "She's synched ... barely ..." Maya shook her head.

"Launch her," Gendo ordered.

"Belay that order," Misato said quickly.

"Major Katsuragi, you dare disobey my orders?" Gendo glared at the woman.

"I almost lost her once thanks to your stupid orders, SIR," Misato sneered, "I won't let you or anyone else put her intentionally in harms way."

"I relieve you of command, Major," Gendo stated without missing a beat, "Launch the EVVVVVVVVVVVAAAAAAA" he cried out as Misato's foot shot right up between his legs colliding with his most sensitive area with her full strength.

"Listen here, you bastard," Misato growled, standing over the toppled Gendo. "Those are my kids up there; I won't let you send them to their deaths. Do you understand me?"

"Misato, I can do this," Asuka said as she appeared on the monitor. "Trust me, I can do this. I can't let Shinji go up against these things alone ... the Baka will need me to pull his ass out when he gets in over his head."

"Ok ..." Misato said unsurely, staring into Asuka's determined eyes. "Launch the Eva ..."

------

Asuka's stomach lurched as the Evangelion rocketed to the surface where Autobots and Decepticons now battled. "Ok ... please work ..." Asuka whispered as the Eva slowly and stiffly took a step.

She yelped slightly when a laser blast hit her AT barrier and ricocheted away. "Come on, please, you big red jerk, move!" she said as 5 green construction vehicles approached her in formation, came to a stop and transformed into robots.

"Awe, look at the little green jerks waiting to be stomped on!" Asuka grinned, as she forced the EVA to take another step closer.

"Constructicons! Destroy that Evangelion!" Megatron ordered as he came to a landing near Unit 02.

"Yes sir!" One of the five stated, before they all called out in unison, "CONSTRUCTICONS! UNITE!"

Asuka's jaw dropped as the five Decepticons shifted and changed and attached together forming a humanoid robot just slightly shorter then her Evangelion. "Devastator!" Asuka could only scream as the massive monstrosity ran toward her too slow EVA. Devastator slammed into the EVA's AT Barrier with such force the Evangelion stumbled backwards and fell hard on its back.

"Devastator," Megatron called while watching the scene, "They say that there's a human being piloting that thing..." he said with a grin, "I want to see it."

Asuka screamed as Devastator pushed his fingers into the AT Barrier and began digging and pulling and ripping through it. "No! Stay away!" Asuka screamed as the giant Combiner Decepticon made the shield ripple and finally shatter. "Help me!" Asuka called as the Decepticon slammed into the EVA's chest again and again, and finally sinking its fingers into the dinted armor and jerked the whole chest plate from the Unit 02. "SHINJI!!!"

-----

"Hang on, Asuka!" Misato called, hangs clinched in panic. "Shinji's in route! Just hang on a little longer!"

"All Autobots, form on Unit 02, take down, Devastator!" Prime ordered, studying the battle map, "Dinobots, get outside Central Dogma, take out the Predicons and Insecticons!"

"I didn't expect Megatron to make such a strong first strike," Prime stated, "I'm impressed." He then turned as a new alarm sounded. "What's that?"

"The inner chamber's been breached!" Maya called out.

"NO!" Gendo leapt across his desk, and brought up a image of the central chamber. Prime sighed when he saw the seven eyed angel Lilith crucified in a lake of red LCL. "No! No!" Gendo freaked when Lazerbeak swooped in on camera and shot the lifeless Angel with missiles.

"Bring it down!" The audio picked up Rumble's voice as the room began to shake. Gendo's eyes widened as pieces of the ceiling began to fall splashing the LCL. "No ..." He whispered as pieces of the metal began to strike and cut at the Angel's body, pushing it down into the LCL. "I have dreamed a dream ..." Gendo closed his eyes as the broken mask of the Angel sunk in the LCL, "Now that dream has been taken from me ..."

"We have multiple Decepticons entering the base!" Maya cried out, from her console.

"What's your orders Commander?" Misato asked, turning to the commander was. "Commander?" she asked finding his desk empty.

"Hold the command center, Major," Prime said moving toward the Elevator.

"Where are you going Commander Prime?" Misato asked.

"Megatron must be stopped." Optimus said turning to face the bridge crew. "No matter the cost."

TO BE CONTINUED ...

C. Cowboy: sorry for the wait, this chapter was a pain to write, and I wasn't totally satisfied with how it came out but it touched what I wanted. And for the record, Usque Omnis Unus is Latin for "Till All Are One" ... I think. Close enough anyway, next chapter should come faster, and it's probably going to be one big fight scene. Next chap's title: "The Touch". More soon! And don't forget to review!
Sign up to rate and review this story