Categories > Anime/Manga > Gundam Wing > Captains

The Perfect Soldier

by cherrymelle 0 reviews

Thus they meet with a bang... and a dress?!

Category: Gundam Wing - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Duo, Heero - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-08-11 - Updated: 2006-08-11 - 2250 words

0Unrated
TITLE: CAPTAINS
FANDOM: Gundam Wing
PAIRING: 1x2 and some het pairings in the background
RATING: R (some parts will be NC-17
GENRE: AU, Adventure, Historical, Romance
WARNING: yaoi, cross-dressing, might be slightly OOC at times
DISCLAIMER: Don't own anything save for the story, so please don't sue poor little me
BETA: The talented OneWingedShinigami to whom I owe a great deal of thanks for the many clever improvements she contributed to.
SUMMARY: The Caribbean in the time of pirates. Duo Maxwell is an infamous captain pirate bored with easy lays. His life will get much more interesting when he meets the dark Navy Captain Heero Yuy in the most unusual circumstances.

Chapter 2 : The Perfect Soldier.

Navy blue eyes, almost violet, the exact colour of a summer's night, bronze hair braided in a crown resting upon the brow, a heart-shaped face, a finely curved mouth barely darkened by a bright gloss and unending lashes shading pink cheekbones with each blink. It was the loveliest creature he had ever seen. She might not have agreed with the canons of beauty with her sharp nose, large forehead and arrogant chin, but he didn't know any man who wouldn't have crawled at her feet. She gave off a magnetic vitality, as if you could feel she would offer herself entirely, if only you just asked. And if you tasted her just once, you would be spoiled for the rest of the world.

He wanted her the instant he saw her and his eyes went caressing down the long swan-like neck powdered in the same way as her face, disheartened to find a piece of lace hiding the low neckline of the mauve dress. Her waist was thin, nicely curved and their brief collision had allowed him to notice that it wasn't thanks to a corset. The skirt was long, brushing the floor causing him to uncomprehendingly mourn not being able to catch a glimpse of ankles he imagined to be slender.

For the first time that day he didn't regret getting up that morning. And yet, god knows he had been cursing and pleading with all known deities until this unexpected meeting. Suddenly the morning had brightened and if it hadn't been as alien an expression as it was for him, he would have smiled.

He had woken up by five thirty simply because it was ingrained in him. Seconds later however, he noticed his terrible hangover and his apparent lack of sleep. He wondered how he had accomplished this miracle. He had momentarily contemplated staying in bed, but he knew his reputation wouldn't have survived. The Captain Lowe, as was well-known, was invulnerable, he wasn't human, he was the "Perfect Soldier". If people heard that the Captain Lowe indulged in a late morning rise, half his subordinates would die from heart attacks while the others would call an exorcist. The thought made him grimace in self-derision or maybe rancour. His head hurt too bad to dwell on such matters.

By will alone, he had extricated from his bed and worked to make himself presentable. He had tirelessly cursed himself for giving in to the new recruits who had dragged him around the pubs of the town and wondered how he had managed to crash back in his own bed. At six sharp, he was leaving his quarters, with his impenetrable mask firmly in place, maybe a little more wrinkled and bruised than usual but no less imposing. He wondered, as he did each morning with an humour that no-one came close to suspect, how many soldiers he would make cry on this fine day.

That was when he noticed the young manservant waiting in front of his office door. He had dutifully read the message brought to him and had cursed himself for not having followed his instincts pleading for him to stay in bed. At least, in his bedroom, nobody would dare to disturb him not even to deliver a message, however pressing. No one in the barracks was suicidal enough to invade his privacy, they were much too scared of his legendary outbursts. Sometimes he felt like an ogre, but overall he preferred it that way. People didn't bother him, they kept their distance and that was what he wanted. Yes... it was! Wasn't it...?

Yet, the eve's night, at least the part he remembered, had been kind of... nice. The fresh recruits had insisted on offering a toast to their newly appointed Captain. He had let himself be dragged thinking it would be less tiring than arguing with those idealistic brats who knew nothing of the ugliness of war. Yes, the night had been pleasant and for a while he had let himself dream he was one of them. But, having never been that naive, he knew they wouldn't stay that way for long either. Soon enough, they would become bitter and power-hungry as so many before them and, on the way, they would have learned to fear and hate the Captain Lowe. They would respect him still of course but there wouldn't be other playful evenings out. That might have been why he had joined them in the first place, in the hope to belong for once, to not be so lonely anymore...

He had been furiously crumpling the paper held tight in his clenched hand, going over each word of the message in his head. He loathed to obey the order, not so subtly masked in suggestion. When The Commander Jay Lowe was suggesting something, it was a good idea to take it as the order it was meant to be and it was a very bad one to contest any part of it. He knew he would do exactly what was expected of him, like the obedient grandson he was. He would go welcome the Governor at the town's gates and would escort him to the Palace. He would lick his boots, would praise the progresses of the Infantry who were coming back from manoeuvres, would discuss inept matters with the pompous old man, and would inquire about his "lovely" daughter's well-being. When he would have so cleverly broached the subject and played the role of the perfect son-in-law long enough, he would be politely dismissed and encouraged to go play his other role, the one of the perfect lap dog to his insufferable fiancée.

Visiting Relena was always a drudgery, but today, maybe because of his hangover, it seemed even more unbearable than usual. It was painful enough to be submitted to the annoying princess's inane babbling when he was in the best of health, but with this unrelenting headache, it would be hell on earth. He wondered what he had done to deserve this, but knew better. The Commander Lowe had been clear enough: Heero Yuy Lowe was nothing before his grandfather took him under his wing, he was deeply indebted to him, and the old man wouldn't let him forget that. If Jay Lowe had decided that his unique grandson would marry the Governor's daughter, it would happen and there was nothing left for discussion. Heero knew the price there was for discussing orders. It had taken him years to understand, years to suffer the beatings, the recriminations, the punishments, but the day had come when it didn't matter anymore and he finally became what his grandfather wanted: the "Perfect Soldier," the one who brought all honours to his name, the one who didn't know anything but to obey. Nevertheless, sometimes, behind the emotionless mask he offered the world, he felt like screaming.

The beginning of the morning had rolled exactly how he had expected; doing curtsies to the Governor and the handful of high dignitaries who were accompanying him. Among them, he hadn't been surprised to see the Commander Lowe, who had laid an approving hand on his shoulder with an obscenely smug expression on his decrepit features. Wasn't it nice to hear his little soldier asked "how high?" when prompted to jump? Heero had needed all the back up of the remembered inhuman training the old man had forced on him in the past to keep his stoic attitude on and not shake the hand that weighed on him like the shackles on a slave's wrists. As he had foreseen, the Governor had suggested he went to see Relena in her apartments, to announce her father's return.

He wondered idly how Miss Peacecraft could have missed the arrival of an entire Infantry's regiment when her windows looked out onto the courtyard. It was ten and he doubted she was still in bed. She was probably sitting at her desk, answering the numerous invitations that came in abundance to the Palace, all the more since the announcement of their impending betrothal. He had naively hoped that once his wooing was completed and the date of the nuptials arrested, he would have some quiet months before the wedding. But of course not! It would have been reckoning without the Commander Lowe's machiavellism who wouldn't take the risk to see his prey free itself now that it had been so well harpooned. And that was how he found himself in this nightmare, cursing silently, while he walked reluctantly towards Relena's rooms. Then came the collision and when he threw his usual glare at whoever had the misfortune to crash into him, he discovered an angel.

The two youngsters must have stayed a good five minutes staring at each other silently before Heero finally came back to himself. Not that he had shown any of his emotions on his face, mind you, but inwardly, the mysterious woman had shaken him deeply and he felt guilty. Lecturing himself, he soon found his voice and good manners back.

"I apologize for my clumsiness; I wasn't looking where I was going. I am the Captain Lowe; I don't think I had the pleasure to meet you Miss..."

He perceived as hesitation in the young lady, soon forgotten when he heard her answer him in a slightly hoarse voice which worked wonders on his nether regions.

"...Winner... Miss Helen Winner. Lowe...? I've heard that name. Aren't you Miss Relena's fiancé?"

"Indeed. I was actually on my way to her apartments to inform her of the Governor's early return. May I inquire of the reason of your presence in these corridors?"

"Oh... Where are my manners? I am one of Miss Relena's friends. Seeing that I was in town, I seized the occasion to visit her. Unfortunately, I found her unwell, which is why I was departing so hastily. So you see I am as much a guilty part in our collision."

"I didn't know Relena was ill, maybe I should..."

"...let her rest! It's only a slight fever but you know how we women dislike having people see us in any other way than our best. Miss Relena would be distressed if you saw her with her nose and eyes all red. Anyway, she was already informed of her father's return so there is no reason to disturb her."

Heero certainly wasn't going to argue. He wasn't really enthused to see a healthy Relena to begin with, let alone suffering her presence when she was ill. He could bet she made a terrible patient. What's more, if he could avoid this unpleasant visit, it would let him have all the more time to spend with the exquisite Miss Winner. He mourned the fact that the young woman knew he was already engaged, but no one could stop him from at least enjoying her company. After all, it wasn't like he was doing anything wrong. He gallantly offered her his arm, impatient to feel the little hand gloved in silk on his uniformed sleeve.

"Would you let me escort you back, Miss Winner? I didn't see any carriage in the courtyard; would you need to have one put at your disposal?"

"Thank you very much, but it won't be necessary. I am at fault, I thought I would stay longer and my cockerel is only due in two hours. I will take the public coach."

"Very well, I'll do as you please. You will let me hail one for you I hope."

"I would appreciate it."

They conversed pleasantly about various harmless matters while they walked back along the hallways Heero had travelled not fifteen minutes earlier. In front of the Palace, they came across many soldiers stunned both by the unusual gallant attitude of the Captain Lowe and by the beauty of the mysterious woman. Every one of them, from the most anonymous cadet to the most elegant officer, bowed before the couple, openly admiring. There wasn't a single trace of the Governor or of his high dignitaries. Heero was guessing they had retreated in Peacecraft's office, which was working perfectly well for him. It would have been embarrassing to be caught wooing a young lady who was not his fiancée by the father of the latter, and the Commander Lowe, who would surely have given him a mean lecture.

As he was helping Miss Winner to ascend the steps of the coach he had hailed for her, he kissed her hand which he kept hold of a little longer than decorum required.

"Miss, until I have the pleasure of meeting you again..."

"Captain... I know we'll meet again, but I don't know if it will be a pleasure."

At these words, she gave three raps on the carriage's roof and disappeared letting the Captain Lowe sorely disappointed.




Sign up to rate and review this story