Categories > Original > Drama

A Month As A Horse

by LunarMares 1 review

Melanie had been trying to catch her horse, Lunar, for hours now, and as soon as Lunar stopped in her tracks, staring at Melanie, Mel knew something was up. She soon noticed, she was a horse! She ...

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2014-09-17 - 468 words

0Unrated
Melanie sat on the white bench upon her front porch, her eyes narrowed as she watched Lunar run across the field, her white mane flying in the wind as she reared up, flung up dirt, and kicked mid-air in a frenzy. The mare had been doing this for hours, playing with Jezer. Jezer stayed in one place, staring at her, dumb-founded, for half an hour before joining in, charging at Lunar. She skidded to a stop, bucking the air and whirling around, running towards the Apple Tree at the middle of the pasture.

Melanie sighed, seeing Lunar stop and stare at Jezer. A whinny split the air as Lunar's friend trotted away. Melanie chuckled, getting up. 'She looks as if she needs a ride, before she tires herself...' Melanie thought, jogging towards the barn.

*

As she reached the barn, she ran to Lunar's stall. She grabbed the halter that hung from the circle/rim on the side of the latch. She turned, walking quickly out of the barn again. She pushed open the barn door, the sun's rays burning her eyes. Melanie put a hand on her fore-head, letting her eyes adjust to the day-time light. She then walked towards the pasture that Lunar, Jezer, Leke, and Kapu stood in. She opened the gate, hurried to lock it back as she entered.

Kapu and Leke grazed on the other side of the pasture, though Kapu lifted his head and whinnied at her. He then put his head down to eat the long grass at his legs, the same grass that tickled Melanie's finger-tips and blew against her jeans.

Melanie spotted Lunar on the long side of the pasture, her back turned to Melanie as she grazed peacefully. Jezer pranced in large circles beside Lunar.

Melanie walked slowly up to Lunar. Lunar turned her head. Her ears pricked in excitement, and she tossed her head, trotting away from Melanie. Her tail whipped and blew in the wing, her golden fur shining under the yellow sun.

Melanie sighed.

A Few Hours Later

Lunar stopped in her tracks, staring at Melanie from the hill-top. Her tail lowered, and she sent out a whinny. Melanie took this chance and stepped forward, but this felt odd. Lunar shifted, and she felt a brush on her hind-leg. She turned her head, her eyes widening as she saw what had happened to her fragile body. She was a horse.

She had brown spots all along her body, in a paint horse form. Melanie's ears turned outwards, and she ran forward. She stumbled, her hind-legs buckling as she skidded. Her hind-legs slid out from under her short horse body. She slipped back, her spine landing on the hard green grass.

2 Days Later

Melanie had learned to cope, and she was soon chewing on the grass.
Sign up to rate and review this story