Categories > Anime/Manga > Attack on Titan > San Francisco

San Francisco

by PetraRivaille 0 reviews

Levi kicks Hanji out of his bar.

Category: Attack on Titan - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Published: 2015-02-19 - Updated: 2015-02-19 - 2903 words

0Unrated
Christmas fell on the salted black streets of San Francisco in thick heavy blankets of white powder, and the clean snow shimmered in the reflection of the dazzling and dancing green and red Christmas lights. Snow was rare in the southern half of the Sunshine State, but not unheard of to fall upon the red rusted metal of the Golden Gate Bridge. People reveled in the euphoria of a white Christmas, its merriment made with friends, family, and steaming Christmas turkey.
Some, on the other hand, preferred to be alone or had no one to spend their holiday with, and so, Levi found himself tending to the guests at his quiet bar late in to the lonely night.
He stood casually behind the smooth dark wood of the bar stand as he slowly, carefully, wiped down a crystal wine glass so it would shine like the bright snow that still fell from the black night sky like a fresh winter kiss, and, with his heavy-hooded black eyes, he lazily watched his quiet guests drink their heavy, burning liquor with cracked mouths and parched throats. Gently he held the tinkling wine glass up to the thick yellow overhead lights in search of cloudy fingerprints on its smooth, cold surface, and, when his searching eyes found none, he set the glass against the clean mirrored wall behind him where a menagerie of warm colored, aged liquors and dark fragrant wines sat patiently awaiting to be sipped over cold, crackling ice.
As he slowly turned around, his eyes still lingering over his cache, the little silver bell above the creaking old door of the bar tinkled softly over the guests’ crisply breathed conversations, and a gust of frigid night air crept over the warm skin of everyone in the room as a young woman made her way to the bar to her usual spinning seat across from the grimacing bar tender himself. Levi turned his back to his usual drunkard to prepare her drink, a golden fire whiskey over ice-or even a scoop of fresh snow-in a cut crystal glass, and her chair croaked loudly as she pulled it out to gruffly sit on. Levi sighed with irritation when he heard her head drop hard on the bar stand, and he plopped the drink beside her relaxed hand that stroked the smooth lamentation of the counter.
Hanji roughly pulled herself up from the bar, her unkempt and knotted mousy brown hair plastered to her red cheeks with cold sweat, and, as she lifted her hard drink to her chapped lips with a shaky hand, Levi groped his mind in aggravation for the answer as to why the poor alcoholic stoked his frustration. He wasn’t upset with the woman herself, in fact, he almost allowed himself to enjoy her talkative company and their little conversations that lasted late in to the night-much to the aggravation of Levi’s employees. But he was upset that she came to him to satisfy the addiction that burned what little money she had to ashes ad already had a six foot murky grave and freshly carved head stone with her name on it waiting for her. Still, he allowed himself to quench her undying thirst for his own, selfish reasons; he was lonely.
He was lonely, but he stubbornly would not admit it to himself.
Levi leaned up against the clean metal sink behind the bar, his eyes downcast to the dark hard wood floor as he listened to Hanji down her drink in a few loud gulps. She set her empty cup down with a hard thump, and slowly he brought his cool face up to meet eyes with the woman. Her dark brown eyes had darker circles beneath them, and her lids fluttered softly as she brought him into focus, her head already swimming with the choking fire of potent booze. Levi thinned his eyes at her and she drunkenly smiled widely at him. Thickly, she chuckled at him and dropped her head on to her folded arms on the bar.
“Hanji,” Levi said gruffly, demanding her to his attention. “Are you drunk? I thought you only drank here.”
She laid there for a moment before pulling her head back up, a thick smile warmly painted on her drunken features.
“Yeah,” she said, sighing hard. “I drank a li’le at home.”
“Can you even afford that?”
She shrugged her shoulders and turned to look down at the long thin chair legs of her seat, avoiding Levi’s question. She raised her finger and twirled it through the cool air softly, silently asking the tender for another drink. Levi prepared her drink and set it next to her with a hard thump, and she downed it quickly.
Then two drinks turned to four, then to seven, to thirteen, and the hours passed by slowly. Two AM trickled by like the soft glean of drool that dripped from Hanji’s open mouth, soft snores coming from her bowed, sleeping head. Levi let her rest and told his employees to let her sleep; he figured the woman slept less than he did and he wanted her to feel a bit better. He knew she had things rough.
It was four AM, and the bar was empty. The lights were dimmed low, and the tables, seats, and cold crystal glasses were freshly wiped down. The floors were swept and mopped, and the liquor and cash locked up. The bar was empty, save for Levi, his employees, and Hanji.
Oluo was at the woman’s side, shaking her shoulder gently and calling her name, but she did not stir. Petra put her small hands on her hips, shaking her head with irritation as she grumbled under her breath, her soft red hair dancing on her cheeks with the movement.
“I can’t wake her up,” Oluo wined, and Levi rolled his eyes at the man as he strode beside him to pick up the sticky, spilled beer Hanji had knocked over in her sleep.
“Just leave her here then,” Levi said with exasperation, ready to go up the stairs of the bar to his small apartment above the loft. He did not want to deal with anybody’s shit, and it was rapidly becoming obvious on his face, what with the dark circles beneath his eyes and his grimace more severe than usual.
“Levi!” Petra gasped, dropping her arms to her sides. “You can’t possibly let that drunkard stay here!”
Levi crossed his arms over his chest and thinned his eyes at the young waitress, and she moved herself back slightly.
“Yes, actually, I can,” he scolded. “It’s my bar and if I say Hanji can stay, then she can.”
“Hanji?” She scoffed. “Great to know you have a name for your pet.” Petra laughed bitterly as she ran her fingers through her hair and put her bangs behind her small, elfish ear.
Levi boiled with anger.
“Woa guys, cool it,” Mike said, coming in between them, his arms outstretched to both of his friends. “It’s really not a big deal. I’m sure everything will be fine.”
“Yeah, whatever,” Petra said, and she picked up her black leather purse that sat on the table beside her as she left the bar, the door slamming behind her loudly while the little silver bell breathed its song above their heads.
“Well then,” Oluo laughed, and he patted Levi’s back gruffly. “See ya guys,” He called to them as he, too, left the bar, and soon Mike left with them, leaving Levi alone in the bar with Hanji.
Levi stood still for a moment, the silence of the room rolling over him in waves as he listened to Hanji’s soft, timely snores. He turned around to look at her, and he shook his head at the sight of her drunken stupor as he walked past her to go up the dark wooded stairs to his apartment above the bar to sleep for the night.
Soft white winter sunlight flittered through the cream cloth window blinds that brushed the tan carpet of Levi’s warm apartment, the heater rumbling and breathing into life in the early morning hours. The man half-hazardously opened his dark eyes to the bright day, his downy feathered white comforter and red sheets pulled up tight around his head as he eskimoed himself deeper in to the fluffiness in an attempt to keep a tight hold on his disrupted slumber, but soon his phone vibrated on the pale wood nightstand beside his head incessantly. At first he ignored it, but it rang again, and again, and again until he just couldn’t ignore it any longer.
With a heavy sigh, he threw the covers off of his bare body with a hard throw of his arm, and he slugged his legs over the side of the tall bed as he sat up, his cold toes barely brushing the warm carpeting. He raised his arms up to the sky and breathed deeply as he stretched, and then he groggily rubbed his bagged eyes before he reached for his cell phone.
Petra: What time should I come in for work today?
Oluo: Get any from Hanjooooo ????? ^>^
Mike: Is the woman still in the bar or did she leave? What happened last night?
Levi grumbled with mock irritation at his friends’ antics before he unlocked his phone to respond to them, and then he got out of bed to throw on a pair of sweat pants and a hole-riddled white T-shirt because he assumed going to wake Hanji up bare naked would not give her the best impression of her host, especially with the hangover she was bound to be suffering with.
He left his bedroom and picked up a bottle of water and Ibuprofen for Hanji before he briskly walked down the wooden steps that led from his apartment to the locked up bar beneath him. Not to his surprise, he found Hanji asleep still at the bar, not a sound escaping her open lips as he made his way to her.
He put a hand on her shoulder and gently shook her, calling her name, but she didn’t respond. She kept sleeping on, and Levi recalled Oluo’s failed attempts at waking her in a similar fashion the night before. He yelled her name and waited for a moment, but still, Hanji made no response. With a sigh of frustration, Levi went behind the bar and filled up the grey metal bucket used to hold the dirty mop water for cleaning the floors. Once it was filled to the brim with icy cold water, he lifted the bucket above his head and dumped it on Hanji.
Almost on impact with the water, Hanji woke up with a shrill scream, and she fell from her chair, shivering hard as she was soaked to the bone. Her eyes shot open as she shook herself on the floor to dry up, and she angrily glared at Levi before holding her throbbing head with her long hands. Her whole body ached from last night’s liquor.
“Good, you’re finally up,” Levi chastised Hanji as he hopped over the bar stand, easily landing in front of her, and he reached down to help her up. Tenderly, she shook her head and then rested it on his shoulder, pressing herself against his body gently as she groaned in pain. His cheeks flushed red and he held her at arms’ length before offering her the water and pain killers. She gulped the stuff down, and Levi stared at his bare feet, wary of the thickened awkward silence growing between them.
Once she finished off her water bottle, he looked back up to her bloodshot brown eyes.
“It’s eight AM. You fell asleep in the bar last night and no one could wake you up, so we left you here. I couldn’t wake you up and you started attracting bar flies, so I thought you could use a shower,” Levi explained, and Hanji smiled softly at his teasing, although his face stayed emotionless, its usual grimace beginning to set in. She nodded in acknowledgement.
“Is there anything you need? Fresh clothes, food, a shower?” He raised an eyebrow up at her, and she smiled again, flashing her pearly teeth down to him. She smelled like stale beer and vomit, but Levi didn’t really mind.
“All three if I can,” she giggled, and Levi nodded. He turned his back to her and ushered her to follow him as they made their way up the stairs and in to his apartment.
“Wow I didn’t know you lived above the bar!” She gasped.
“Yeah, there’s a lot you don’t know about me,” he said as he turned around to look at her, and she avoided his knowing gaze; he knew almost everything about her since she poured her heart out to him drunkenly almost every day of the week for the past three years.
“Anyways, the bathroom’s over there. I’ll get you some fresh clothes and I’ll make you something light to eat while you take a shower,” he directed, and she nodded, uneasily making her way to the bathroom while he went in to his bedroom to get her a pair of sweats and a clean, plain black T-shirt. He made his way across the living room to knock on the painted white wood of the bathroom door, and she stuck her arm out to collect the clothes.
“Thanks!” She called to him from the bathroom, and the shower kicked in to life loudly as she undressed, ready to hop in and start the day clean and anew.
After Hanji finished her shower and freshened up, she and Levi ate a light breakfast of toast and honey dew melon with white jasmine tea together, and slowly her headache began to subside and the ache slowly ebbed away. Once they finished, she took their plates to the kitchen and rinsed them off before putting them in to the empty dishwasher, and she couldn’t help her astonishment at how clean Levi kept his apartment, not that she thought he was a slob or anything.
“Your place is very nice!” She called to Levi from the kitchen as she made her way back to the living room, and he folded up the crisp grey newspaper he read.
“Thanks,” he said quietly, and silence befell them again as Hanji awkwardly fidgeted with her hands, picking at her dry hangnails.
“I should probably get going,” she said as she stood up, and Levi looked up to her, his heart pounding fast in his chest.
“N-no,” he stuttered, quickly groping his mind for a reason to prolong her stay.
“You could work here tonight for some tip money to pay me back for the booze from last night,” he said, relieved to have a reason to get her to stay. Hanji, too, looked relieved, and she blushed slightly with embarrassment.
“Oh-okay, yeah you’re right. I’ll do that then,” Hanji said, and she plopped back down on the white corduroy couch across from Levi as he picked up the paper and began to read it again, desperate to hide his matching blush.
He did not understand why he wanted Hanji to stay longer with him, but then again, he did; he just didn’t want to admit it to himself.
She eased his loneliness; it was nice to have the company of a new face, of a woman.
The bar was busy that night, busier than the night before when Hanji crashed at the bar, and anger boiled inside of Levi as he searched for Hanji in the nooks and crannies of the bar, Petra’s mockings from earlier at the sight of Hanji helping clean the bar echoing in his ears constantly: “She’ll be nothing but her same old drunk self and you’ll have to babysit her tonight like always. She’ll get nothing done. You might as well kiss your time good bye because she’s going to steal it from you. Good luck with that because I’m not helping you with your pet!”
Then he found her, sitting in the corner beside a trash can at the far end of the bar with a beer in hand, a drunken blush kissing her cheeks, and she hummed softly with the jazzy music that tinkled through the loft.
“Hanji,” Levi almost bellowed, and she almost snapped out of her haze as she smiled thickly up to him.
“Levi,” she cooed softly, and he grabbed her arm, roughly pulling her up to her feet beside him.
“Get out of my bar!” He screamed at her, ripping the beer from her hands as he guided her gruffly through the bar, and customers openly stared at them; it wasn’t like Levi to kick people out of his bar, especially a woman.
“Hey,” she squealed as he literally threw her out of his bar, and she landed hard on her back in the snow outside before she picked herself up and uneasily stood on her feet, hot tears burning her eyes.
“Don’t come back,” he growled at her, and he slammed the door, leaving her alone out on the streets in the dark of the snowy late night.
Sign up to rate and review this story