Categories > Anime/Manga > Attack on Titan

Somewhere

by crazytigerWrites 1 review

Isabel wakes from a nightmare, only to be burdened with memories of the past.

Category: Attack on Titan - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst - Warnings: [!!] [V] - Published: 2015-03-03 - 1134 words - Complete

1Moving
A/N: This is dedicated to the late nights spent writing with WiseMuffin. Sometimes, late night writing proves to be the best.

“I have to shake these bastards somehow.” Isabel ran through the alleyways of the underground, as some military police chased her. She had stolen food from the merchants, and of course they had the nerve to send the police after her. It was really only a meager amount, barely enough to live off of for a while, but every bit counts. Isabel looked over her shoulder and smirked as she saw no one following her. She let out a sigh of relief and slowed her pace to a jog as she slinked down the abandoned alley she lived in. It was lonely in the small nook she called her home now that her mom was gone. As she leaned down to enter the small nook a shout startled her. “Damn, I haven’t lost them yet.” She growled under her breath. As she tossed the small satchel of food into the dark abyss of her house, she heard the footsteps nearing closer to her. She began to run again but her foot caught a soft patch of ground, causing her to trip and tumble over her feet. Isabel struggled to stand up again as someone grabbed her arm. “Shit they caught me.” She thought to herself. She turned around to growl at the MP holding her arm but she fell backwards into the trash as a foot collided with her stomach. “Ouch! What the hell?!” she cried out in pain as she struggled to breathe.
“We finally caught you, you little bastard.” The MP smirked at his comrades. “You won’t be able to run this time, pretty.” Her eyes widened as she scooted back on her heels. Isabel didn't know what they were planning but she didn't intend to be part of it. As she tried to flee her legs only gave out again, and he grabbed her collar dragging her up to face the policeman. He gripped a long pigtail as Isabel flinched away. “You sick pervert…” She spat in his face. Isabel kicked his shin as she struggled to escape and he fell forward. His two comrades came at her from both sides and Isabel managed to get away from one but the other’s sword cut off some of her hair. As she ran with bruised legs she fell in a puddle of sewer water. She didn’t bother to move, she was too exhausted. “Let them come take me away.” She thought as her tears began to mix with the sewer water below her face.


Isabel awoke with a sharp intake of breath to her cold bleak room. She blinked away the darkness of the memory, and felt hot tears spring to wet her cheeks. Levi and Farlan were nowhere to be seen. Of course, they must be out gathering supplies. She was left alone again, the weakling of the team. As she tried to calm herself, her voice became lost in a violent sob. Her breathing grew ragged as she cried into the cot she lay on. Isabel couldn't exactly pinpoint why she was suddenly crying, but the tears kept falling as she curled into a ball. You have to be strong. Stop crying for them and for mom. As Isabel wiped her tears she began to hum a familiar tune to calm her down. When her mom was alive, she taught Isabel how to sing. She always used to sing late into the night when Isabel was a kid. At least Isabel always remembered falling asleep to her mother’s voice. So with a shaky breath Isabel began to sing out into the night. “Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high… there’s a land that I've heard of once in a lullaby.” She closed her eyes she smiled away her tears. The door creaked open, revealing a puzzled looking Farlan.
“Was that you singing Izzy?” He asked, calling her by her nickname. The maroon haired girl opened her tired eyes and smiled. She walked across the cold floor, her bare feet scuffing across the wood.
“You got a problem with me singing Farlan?” She joked elbowing him in the ribs as she entered the room that Levi and Farlan were standing in. Levi was busy shelving away supplies, but he stopped to glance at Isabel.
“You look exhausted Isabel. What’s wrong?” He asked, unusually considerate. Isabel let out a nervous laugh as he stared at her, silently calculating.
“I’m fine Levi, I just couldn't sleep.” Isabel sighed, hoping she’d be convincing enough for him. He narrowed his eyes in concern, clearly not buying her weak excuse.
“Bullshit, Isabel. You've been crying, and I can see it on your face. It was that damn nightmare wasn't it?” Isabel let out a sigh and looked over to Farlan who looked equally concerned.
“Sorry for lying to you, Levi-bro. I just don’t want you or Farlan to worry about me.” Isabel sighed as she looked down at her feet. She really needed to sleep.
“Get some rest Isabel. You need it for tomorrow.” Levi told her, his voice heavy with concern and annoyance. Isabel sighed and padded across the wood floor back to her room. I’m always treated like a child… I guess I do need the sleep though.
“Hey Isabel, before you sleep, I want to say that you have a nice singing voice.” Farlan cracked a teasing smile and Isabel smiled back before the door closed again. She curled up on her mattress with the empty hope of good dreams. Maybe I can finally get some decent sleep for once.

Sunlight streamed through his window, illuminating the room he called home. The girl stood by his bedside, watching him with a wistful sigh. Sometimes Isabel wondered what life would be like if Farlan and her were still living. Maybe he wouldn't be so cold to everyone. Levi seemed harmless sleeping but Isabel knew exactly how dangerous he was. She was proud of him, becoming corporal and everything. It was just bittersweet because even though she was there to witness it, he never could see her. He can’t see me because I’m dead. As he stirred in his sleep, Isabel looked out the window at the sunrise. Levi would have to wake up soon; the recruits in the Survey Corps wouldn't be able train themselves. Isabel wanted the moment to last longer, but unfortunately she couldn't stay behind forever. She leaned down with a smile and whispered in his ear “Wake up, Levi-bro.” And as she faded away, she knew he never heard it but somehow it brought her peace. I’ll see you again, somewhere over the rainbow.
Sign up to rate and review this story