Categories > Anime/Manga > Gundam Wing > Captains

The Friendly Spy

by cherrymelle 0 reviews

Enters Trowa who finds Heero's new obsession hysterical.

Category: Gundam Wing - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Duo, Heero - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-08-14 - Updated: 2006-08-14 - 2791 words

0Unrated
TITLE: CAPTAINS
FANDOM: Gundam Wing
PAIRING: 1x2 and some het pairings in the background
RATING: R/NC-17
GENRE: AU, Adventure, Historical, Romance
WARNING: yaoi, swearing
DISCLAIMER: Don't own anything save for the story, so please don't sue poor little me
SUMMARY: The Caribbean in the time of pirates. Duo Maxwell is an infamous captain pirate bored with easy lays. His life will get much more interesting when he meets the dark Navy Captain Heero Yuy in the most unusual circumstances.

Chapter 4: The Friendly Spy

When the Captain Lowe got back to his quarters, giving his good fortune silent but enthusiastic thanks for having spared him his annoying fiancée's company, he harboured his ordinary blank expression. Yet, anyone who knew him well, if any such person had existed, would have noticed the unusually dreamy quality his eyes had taken. He couldn't get Miss Winner out of his mind. It was the first time a woman, or anyone for that matter, had affected him so. There was a mysterious aura surrounding her and he burned with the desire to penetrate its depths. He had never, in all his life, felt neither so curious nor so attracted. He felt like the proverbial moth drawn to the flame, convinced without reason that he would get scorched. In his well-ordered life, such thoughts were clearly inappropriate and seeing he would soon be the captive of a loveless marriage, the strange feelings the violet-eyed woman had awaken were untimely at best. However, in spite of all the good reasons he had to force himself to forget that morning's events, he couldn't quite gather the will to do it. He wanted to, no, he had to see her again, whatever the price. He felt like she would change his life and wondered about the state of his sanity, as such desperately romantic behaviour was as far as possible from his usual personality.

Too busy making plans to find the woman who reigned over all his thoughts, he didn't notice immediately the presence of an intruder in his apartments. Admittedly and in his defence, the event was unlikely enough for him to stay oblivious. The voice of the figure nonchalantly leaning against the living room's far wall struck him like thunder making him jump a foot or so.

"Yuy. Were you aware that at the slightest utterance of your name most of this regiment begins stuttering while the rest appears to be on the verge of tears? To think those people are the ones in charge of protecting the nation... it's worrying and I can't help but come to the conclusion that you're getting worse."

"Barton. Pleasure. To answer your question, I can't help it if people think I'm scary and for your enlightenment, if they let you intrude in my quarters without my express authorization, they probably didn't think much of your personality either."

"Ah but you're mistaken! For your enlightenment, the bravest ones openly advised me against invading your privacy; they looked genuinely concerned for my well-being. Hmm looking back, I probably lost their affection when I told them I was a friend of yours."

"A friend of mine? Yes, I suppose that's one way of putting it."

"Such enthusiasm! I guess I should be flattered as it's probably the nicest thing you've ever said to another human being in... What? Twenty five years of existence?"

"Twenty-seven and you're wrong; my nicest time was when I thanked you for having taken care of me five years ago."

"Ah yes of course, but this one was the morphine talking or maybe the result of the lengthy coma. You haven't been as accommodating ever since."

"Nobody's perfect."

"Aren't you the one they call the "perfect soldier"?"

"Can I interest you in a drink?"

Noticing the evasion for what it was, Trowa Barton chose not to push his luck and gratefully accepted a scotch, sitting himself near his "friend" on the comfortable sofa. Naturally, the conversation diverted towards Heero's engagement Trowa had learned about with surprise. A few words with the Captain were enough to convince the young man that this was another minefield better left undisturbed. Seeing his friend's resignation, he had no choice but to become indignant in his stead even at the risk of shattering his usual stoicism.

"Dammit, you said it yourself, you're twenty-seven already, and you're not a child anymore for God's sake! I don't understand why you're still blindly obeying that bastard. He may be your grandfather but only in name. It's been years that he treats you like you're so much dirt on his shoes. That time you almost died because of him and he didn't even inquire of your health before he was sure you would pull through and make yourself useful again."

"Stop it Trowa, you're wasting your breath. I am perfectly fine with this. I won't be the first man to make a marriage of convenience. And my fiancée is a pretty young lady anyway. Not the brightest jewel in the chest but nobody's expecting that of her. I can't go back anymore. I would lose all that I've so painstakingly obtained. I am a well respected officer. I have more money than I'll ever need and a glorious future ahead of me. What more could I wish for?"

"And tell me: is it gratifying to be the Captain Lowe? Even for Heero Yuy? Does that make you happy?"

The following silence and the wistful expression on Heero's face were answer enough but Trowa knew there wasn't a single thing he could do to help his friend. It wasn't easy to save someone who didn't show the slightest will to save themselves. The young man couldn't bear to witness the apathy which had taken possession of his friend. He felt like he had come too late, like he had let Heero down when he had needed him the most. Of course, the old Colonel wasn't immortal but he feared that when he would finally die, the harm would already be too extensive, that the hold he had over his grandson would have already done more damage than could ever be fixed.

The two young men kept silent for long minutes, each lost in their own thoughts, all of them less than pleasant. Heero was the first coming back to reality. He was the host after all and even if his guest had more or less imposed himself, he at least still had to mind his manners. In all honesty and in spite of the troubling conversation they just had, he was rather glad to see Trowa again. The last time went back half a year, somewhere on the Mainland and Heero didn't have any closer acquaintance than him.

They had met five years before, while Trowa was a mercenary, selling his services to the highest bidder, firing or smothering conflicts according to the will of the people in power. Trowa had rescued Heero on a battleground, in an advanced position of Sank Army which had been under attack from Indians in retaliation for the massacre of an entire village. The young man was left to die and would undoubtedly have if not for Trowa's intervention. The following month, Barton had taken care of the young soldier, slowly nursing him back to health. It was only when Heero woke up that Trowa heard the full story. The Army had been aware that the advanced post would be attacked but, under Colonel Jay Lowe's influence, the reinforcement had been sent elsewhere. The old man seemed then eager to get rid of his cumbersome grandson who had rebelled one time too many, even if that meant sacrificing the lives of thirty other soldiers in the process. However, when the Colonel heard of his grandson's miraculous rescue, he appeared to change his mind and decided to turn him into a hero, thus brightening his own reputation. Some time later Heero had been transferred from the Infantry to the Navy based in the Caribbean, but he always kept in contact with Trowa. He had even used his all new fame and the influence his fast ascent amongst the ranks had granted him to aid in his rescuer's career. He had managed to have him hired as an Army consultant and less officially as a spy as Trowa Barton had just the skills for such a job. No one better than him could infiltrate in enemy territory and bring back major information to Sank's Army.

"Tell me Trowa, all politeness aside, could I know what brings you on our island? I can't believe you missed my company so much that it's the only motive for your visit."

"Ah Yuy, always so trusting. People would think you're not happy to see me, but as usual you are indeed right. It looks like Sank's higher-ups thought I would presently be more useful here in the islands than on the Mainland. They have some piracy trouble I was asked to settle. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to tell you much more but I would need your help for a complete tour of the port."

The port, here was a marvellous idea! Heero remembered clearly hearing the lovely Miss Winner directing the carriage's driver in that direction. She didn't give an exact address but, if he had to accompany Trowa there anyway, nothing prevented him from asking around. After all, someone had to have noticed the young woman. With the number of sailors who didn't touch ground for months around there, a woman, especially an attractive one, couldn't exactly go unnoticed. It was admittedly a little late for lunch, but he still hadn't taken the time to eat and after a brief inquiry he learned that neither had his friend. He suggested thus a tavern on the port where he knew they would be well served.

"Won't it ruin your cover to be seen along a Navy officer, more so one not really liked by ruffians?" ...nor by his own comrades, he added silently noticing with dismay that Trowa, sharp as ever, seemed to hear the silent regret.

"That's good as a matter of fact; I am less interested in the ruffians than in certain rats that appeared to have invaded our noble Navy. It can only work for me if I look like I have my fingers in many pies. Along the time, I learned that rats usually look for their own kind."

The insinuation was heard loud and clear, Trowa was going traitors hunting. There were a lot of them in these times when many supposed privateers were often viler than real pirates and when even the most distinguished officers let themselves be seduced by the easy gain of smuggling. Heero himself had had the occasion to notice some irregularities, but as one in command of simple soldiers, he only had to worry about his ships' safety and the skirmishes against pirates. All matters of privateers were much too intricate with politics to risk entrusting them with the Military. Sank, as every other country, feared an open war with one of her powerful enemies far too much to bring out the heavy artillery. When Heero would be dragged in the thick of things he would know with certainty that the situation was desperate. Trowa's announcement wasn't so surprising, he was however astonished that the young man had revealed that much. He had always been more cautious in the past. He thought maybe Trowa was right and they really were friends, what other reason would Barton have to trust him so?

Half an hour later, the two men were entering the /Swaying Sailor/, a neat little inn, maybe the most respectable on the docks where Heero knew they would eat well. However, he hadn't chosen the establishment for its food alone but also because, should a woman take temporary lodgings on the port, it was the most likely place she would go.

Thus, when the waitress came to take their order, Heero questioned her with tremendous hope: "Could you tell me Miss if you have a Miss Helen Winner among your guests?"

Heero didn't feel like he was making use of his charm --admitting he knew he had some-- and yet the maiden was there, blushing and stuttering and the Captain explained this phenomenon by the fact that he was wearing his uniform. Trowa could only hide a smirk, as usual amused by his friend's naïveté in such situations. Meanwhile, and after a few shy attempts, the dark one finally got his answer. He was more than disappointed that it was a negative one, even more so when the girl appeared so certain, saying that being the one managing the rooms she knew all of the guests. Thinking that maybe, for whatever reason, the mysterious Helen had registered under an assumed name, he tried to give her description, but once again it was for naught. The young man felt disheartened and ordered his meal with chagrin.

What Heero hadn't noticed, was the interest his friend had suddenly taken in his investigation. It should be said that Trowa wasn't used to see his companion so piqued. He couldn't help but be intrigued by a woman who managed not only to catch Heero's attention but to keep it. He didn't think such a thing had ever happened before and in the light of their previous discussion about his friend's engagement to a young person who was definitely not called Helen, Trowa was really curious.

"Helen Winner? Can I ask who this girl you appear to be looking for is?"

Before the very eyes of an astonished yet delighted Trowa, Heero seemed then to take an unfocused and dreamy look. Oh yes, there was definitely a good story there. The Captain might have been his friend but old habits die hard and Trowa loved nothing more than to learn the secrets of his peers. He knew that sooner or later those might prove useful. He mostly expected Heero to clam up when pressed and was surprised to see that in the contrary, his friend enjoyed talking about the young Lady without reservation. More and more intriguing...

"It's a girl I met this morning in the Palace's corridors. Helen Winner, childhood friend of Relena's it seems. I understood she was visiting from a faraway country. Lovely, with an aura of mystery, the most extraordinary eyes I've ever seen. I don't know why but I know I have to see her again, she was..."

Heero seemed then to shake himself out of his trance and looked embarrassed by his indiscretion even more so while discovering their meals had been brought without him noticing. Trowa himself appeared lost in thoughts, looking for what in his friend's words had awakened a forgotten memory. He had a sudden realization.

"That might be a coincidence, but I remember meeting a Winner a long time ago in the Middle East. Quatre Winner, the only son of a Pasha."

"She introduced herself as a Miss so she can't be married and if he was an only child."

"No, no, I meant he was the only boy. He had twenty-nine sisters. I remember because I found the fact amusing at the time even if it was for him an endless source of grief. As the only male, he was the rightful heir of the kingdom while he had no interest in politics. It was ten years ago still, people change."

"Not to contradict you but the world is vast and the name Winner is quite common. What's more Helen didn't look Arab."

"Yeah but it's where you're wrong; the Winner clan lived like Orientals but they originated from Europe. I don't know how they came to be at the head of a country like Sandrock, but they reigned there as unchallenged masters. Anyway, what I wanted to say was that Quatre was fair, with blond hair, light eyes, blue or green I can't remember. That might be nothing but that's a lead I would follow if I were you. It feels like you don't have much of those and if you really want to see that girl again..."

Heero wasn't stupid, thus he knew Trowa's advice shouldn't be overlooked even when he was also perfectly conscious that his pathetic predicament terribly amused his friend. Still, he was willing to do about anything to reach his goal and wasn't afraid to ridicule himself in front of his companion if need be. Before starting researching Trowa's tale though, he decided to question a few sailors lurking around. He was still convinced the beauty couldn't have gone unnoticed in such a neighbourhood. The worse coming to worst, he could still ask Relena. His fiancée was stupid enough to be duped.
Sign up to rate and review this story