Categories > Anime/Manga > Death Note > Falling- A DeathNote Fanfic

Ch 6

by Daughter_of_Rome 0 reviews

Valla begins her life with a Shinigami.

Category: Death Note - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Sci-fi - Published: 2016-01-05 - 552 words

0Unrated
CHAPTER 6: RYUK

I made a furious sound. "Okay, what the hell is this DeathNote and why is it so goddam important?"

He stood and looked deep in thought, as if trying to think of a way to explain something complicated to a young child. Like why plants were green and the sky was blue and why there were no yellow stars.

"A DeathNote is the source of a Shinigami's power." He indicated a similar book hanging at his waist, "When we take the lives of humans, we add their life force into ours. Unfortunately, you humans don't get any of the life that you take away."

"Why me? I still can't figure that out."

"I just threw it into the human world, I had no person in particular in mind."

"Well that's stupid. I thought this just fell out of the sky because... because... I don't know, because I was special or something!"

"Sorry to disappoint, but you are just an ordinary person that was in the right place at the right time." He shrugged his shoulders, making his feathery shoulder pads ruffle.

I flopped back onto my bed, frustrated with what I was hearing. How would one go about getting rid of these annoying things, because, so far, they absolutely suck.

~~~

I think my real question was "How do you start a conversation with a Shinigami about something other than the DeathNote?". With any of the other Shinigami I have met, the answer would have been, "You don't". However, my Shinigami was fond of talking, mostly because he was bored.

Although he didn't send the DeathNote directly to me, he found me... interesting.

These two qualities made for very long conversations that I look back on now with fondness. Though for those first few night, they were absolutely infuriating.

~~~

"Valla?" The raspy voice in the dark whispered. I don't know why, since I was the only one that could hear him.

"What is it now, Ryuk?" I asked tiredly, it must have been about 3am. As a child I enjoyed staying up late, but as an adult that had to get up in three hours, I went to sleep early to get as much sleep as possible.

"Is Valla your full name or is it short for something? "

"Why would you need to know that?" My voice was colored with the sort of hatred that is only experienced when someone keeps you from sleeping.

"I'm curious."

"Ryuk, I need to get up soon and pull a full load of work without griping or hating myself and everyone around me, please shut up." As an after thought I added, "Don't you Shinigami ever sleep?"

"Yes, but not in the way you humans do." The Shinigami world clearly did not have rhetorical questions. "What do you normally dream about anywa-"

I attempted to punch him. My fist went right through him, but it got my point across and he shut up for the moment. I lay back down on my lumpy pillow, a content smile on my face.

"That was rude."

~~~

Those first couple of days were very hard indeed. Ryuk said I could get rid of him and the DeathNote at any time. But I held onto it.

I let the power change me, to mold me. And, eventually, to tempt me.
Sign up to rate and review this story