Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Strains of Melody

Finding Your Place

by Lachesis 1 review

The Sorting Hat speaks.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover, Fantasy - Characters: Harry, Snape - Warnings: [!!] [?] - Published: 2006-08-18 - Updated: 2006-08-19 - 1758 words

5Original
-I-I-I-

Still Friday, September 1, 1991

-I-I-I-

The further Minerva went down the list, the more palpable was the tension in the air. Every member of the staff, Severus included, searched the group of nervous children standing in the middle of the hall, trying to spot the famed Boy-Who-Lived. Despite what he knew about the boy's childhood, the potions master still half expected to see a carbon-copy of James Potter standing there, but no such clone showed himself.

Minerva said the boy was there, however, and Severus had known her long enough to trust that statement, so he kept looking.

"Perks, Sally-Anne," the Deputy Headmistress called out, and the tension rose another level as a tiny first year, her blonde hair pulled into pigtails, ran forward to be sorted. Potter would be next, or very close to it...

And sure enough, once the girl had been sorted into Hufflepuff, Minerva paused. Severus scowled darkly in the brief hiatus. Gryffindors. They just had to be dramatic, didn't they?

"Potter, Harry!"

Murmurs spread throughout the hall as a single first year stepped forward. The Slytherin was surprised to find that he didn't look at all like James, except for hair color and a slight resemblance in his features. Beside him, Pomona's fingers twitched as though she were itching for a pair of scissors, and he could understand. The boy's hair seemed stuck in that awkward stage between short and long enough to pull back, dropping down to shadow his eyes and completely cover his forehead.

"Is that him/?"/

"They found him! Da said he'd been kidnapped!"

"Are you sure that's him? I can't tell if there's a scar..."

Potter glanced aside at the whispering multitude, his step faltering a moment as he saw every eye in the room staring right back at him. His face screamed confusion, and Severus had a sudden, horrible suspicion.

"Albus!" he hissed, leaning around the Herbology professor. "Does he /know/?"

-I-I-I-

Kaze was trembling by the time he reached the stool that bore the Sorting Hat. The weight of all the eyes on him pressed down on him like heavy hands on his shoulders, bowing him beneath the pressure. Why were they staring? Did they know he was different? But how could they already know!

The severe-looking professor gave him a reassuring smile as she handed him the Hat. He didn't want to sit down, since sitting meant turning and facing the hall full of children, but the young mage forced his reluctant muscles to move. What would Master Taka say if he saw him intimidated by children?

Kaze sat and pulled the Hat over his head, dropping him into darkness. For a moment, nothing seemed to happen, but then it spoke.

Well now, Harry Potter, is it? Welcome to Hogwarts, lad. Let's see where to put you.

My name isn't Harry, Kaze shot back. Normally the boy would never ever have dreamed of being so rude- it just wasn't an intelligent policy to take- but they were still staring. He could feel the eyes on him, even if he couldn't see them, and it was really starting to get on his nerves.

The Sorting Hat's surprise and annoyance filtered through his mind like dust through sunlight. It is bloody well too your name! I can see it right here in your mind.

Kaze controlled himself, calming his thoughts by counting to ten in Sindarin before he replied. It used to be, but it's not anymore. It's Kaze. Kagayaku no Kaze.

-I-I-I-

The residents of the hall were quite astonished when the Sorting Hat let out a yelp of surprised disbelief and fell off of Harry's Potter's head. The boy blinked bemusedly at it for a few seconds, and then retrieved it.

As he replaced it on his head, the whispers continued, doubling in intensity.

-I-I-I-

Once the Hat was back in place, Kaze sighed. We're not gods, we're not even lower divinity, no matter what the legends say. We're just people doing a job.

The magical bit of clothing didn't seem convinced. In fact, it seemed like it was still in a state of severe shock.

The mage suppressed the urge to sigh again. Look, I would appreciate it if you forgot about that part of the conversation and sorted me like any other student. Please, Hat-san.

I... The Hat shuddered, pulling itself together. Of course, my lord. Well, then, let's get started. It was silent for a long minute, but Kaze could feel it skimming through his thoughts. A good mind, and a willingness to learn. Ravenclaw isn't totally out of the question, but I don't think it's quite the place for you, either. Courage, but tempered with caution and common sense; you're not a Gryffindor. Yet you don't have the proper Slytherin mentality, either. You don't like attention, and you show an astonishing lack of ambition.

It paused and seemed to think over its last words. But then, you can't exactly rise further, can you, Lord Kagayaku? Not much need for ambition, there.

Kaze didn't say anything. He hadn't ever thought of it like that... But it was true. He couldn't imagine a better life than the one Master Taka had given him, no matter the dangers their calling led them to guard against.

You work hard, but alone; you don't trust well, very nearly not at all. You're not a perfect Hufflepuff, either. The Hat sounded puzzled. Merlin, boy, I've never had this much trouble finding someone their proper place.

And that reminded him. He'd wanted to ask Neville about it earlier, but interrupting him then wouldn't have been at all polite. Why do you do that? he asked. Swear by Master Taka, I mean.

...Taka? I don't know of anyone by that name...

It was one of his other names, but I've heard you people say it twice now.

The Hat was truly curious, now. Really? What do we call him, then? It would later regret ever asking.

Merlin, Kaze replied.

-I-I-I-

This time when the Sorting Hat fell off, there were open snickers as the blushing boy grabbed it up off the floor.

-I-I-I-

Would you please stop doing that? Kaze pleaded. You're drawing even more attention than I was already getting! And what in the world was that about, anyway?

Merlin was a Kagayaku? the Hat murmured after a short silence. That... explains a great deal.

Kaze elected to remain silent. He was afraid anything he said might make the blasted thing fall off again.

...I cannot decide where to put you, my lord, the Hat said, evidently having taken his lack of response as a hint to get on with it. None of the houses are uniquely suited for you. If I could put you in all of them, I would, but alas. You may choose, if you wish.

The young mage blinked. Choose? But... what if I choose the wrong one?

The Hat was grave. I believe at this point, there is no wrong path, only different ones. Your future is what you make of it, my lord, nothing else. Guide it as you wish.

Oh, wonderful... What was he supposed to do now? The only things he knew about any of the houses were what had been in the Hat's unfortunately uninformative song at the beginning of the Ceremony. He didn't know anything about their histories, or the people in them, or what being in one would mean for him as opposed to being in another.

Even though it wasn't really necessary in the darkness beneath the Hat, Kaze closed his eyes. This choice would determine what his life would be like for the next seven years, unless his master decided to pull him out early. No matter what the Hat said, he needed to choose wisely.

But he was buggered if he knew what the 'wise' choice was...

Something occurred to him, then, and his eyes popped open. You said that I work hard, but alone, he said. A friend told me I need to learn to trust. Where... where could I learn that?

-I-I-I-

Severus sighed, running a hand over his eyes. The whispering in the hall had turned into a kind of background buzz, quieting a little as it became obvious the Boy-Who-Lived's sorting was going to take a good long while. Personally, he was beginning to wonder if the boy was going to be sorted at all.

"Well, he's done it," Flitwick announced, studying a gold pocket watch almost bigger than his hand. "He's broken the record."

"Record?" Pomona whispered.

Albus nodded. "In 1412, Augustus Crouch's sorting took twelve minutes and forty-two seconds."

"Mr. Potter's at thirteen minutes now!" The Charms professor looked terribly excited, bouncing up and down in his seat. Everyone had expected Potter to be put straight into Gryffindor, provided he showed up, of course. The longer he sat on that stool, though, the less likely that seemed to be.

Minerva, on the other hand, looked terribly put out.

Of course, that raised the possibility that the brat might be put into Slytherin. Severus wasn't sure what to think about that. Sure, Potter hadn't exactly grown up in the lap of luxury he'd imagined before making that trip to the orphanage six years ago, but... He was still James Potter's son.

Even if he didn't look at all like him.

Severus sighed. He hoped the boy wouldn't end up in his house after all. It would save him the headache of figuring out how to act around him. Let him be put in Gryffindor like his parents, or maybe into Ravenclaw. The bookworms weren't such bad sorts, if a bit irritating in their drive to know it all. Made them regular nuisances in class, it did.

The professor glanced over the students. The Gryffindors were looking much less assured of their "victory" in claiming the famous Boy-Who-Lived as their own. The Ravenclaws seemed hopeful, and even a few of his Slytherins were shooting Potter speculative looks. The only students unaffected by the abnormally long sorting were the Hufflepuffs, who merely looked curious. After all, there was little to no chance their infamously unremarkable house would gain the limelight.

"Fourteen minutes," Flitwick had just exclaimed when the Hat at last opened its brim to speak. The hall hushed immediately, but the Hat hesitated.

"You're sure of this?" it asked. There was a moment of silence, and then: "Very well. It's your decision, and I'll stand by it."

The entire student body of Hogwarts, and all its professors, leaned forward in anticipation.

"HUFFLEPUFF!"
Sign up to rate and review this story