Categories > TV > Lost > Echoes of a lost love

Chapter 3: Digging Out

by dreamsarefanfiction 0 reviews

Jin, Miles and Jack recover Sawyer from the hatch 'crater'. Meanwhile Juliet says goodbye to him as Jack digs his grave.

Category: Lost - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Jack,Jin,Kate,Sawyer - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2016-02-09 - 802 words

0Unrated
“There’s enough room for me to crawl in there. To get to him I mean.”

Jack shook his head no and started for the opening, they’d have to make it a bit bigger if he, Jin and Miles were going to fit through it.

“No Juliet. You and the baby could get seriously hurt. Stay here. Jin, Miles and I will go. Stay with Kate.”

Juliet was about to protest, but Kate put a hand on her shoulder.

“Jack’s right Juliet. They’ll get James out. It’ll be ok.”

She was about ready to burst into tears again. She knew it was her hormones though. She usually wasn’t this emotional. But right now she had a reason. The man she’d loved for 3 years had just died. Kate was trying to distract Juliet as the three men made their way into the debris. She continued her thoughts aloud, but she wasn’t sure Juliet was listening.

“So what do you think? Boy or a girl?”

With a glossed over stare, Juliet turned her attention for a brief few milliseconds to Kate.

“James would want a boy… I want a girl…”

Kate gave a small smile, trying to lighten the mood. Even though there was no lightening the mood at this point.

“Well you have my vote Juliet. I think it’ll be a girl.”

Not answering, Juliet turned her attention back to the opening the three men had entered. She wanted so badly to climb in there after them. Nervously wringing her hands, Juliet held her breath as they finally brought Sawyer out. Gently lying him on the hard dirt below, Jack spoke.

“I am so sorry Juliet, but he’s gone.”

Jack motioned for the others to give her a minute, Kate following them. Letting the dam of tears go, Juliet took fistfuls of Sawyer’s shirt and buried her head in his chest and let out a long and pained sob. She let her thoughts go out loud so that they were out in the open. Everything she was feeling had been pent up inside for too long, now it was exploding outwards, much like lava flowing from a volcano.

“You promised you’d have my back James. You promised me!? So you’re just going to leave me here to raise our child by myself?”

Taking his hand, she placed it over her still flat abdomen.

“I know you’d want a boy to carry on the family name. But I have a strong feeling that it’ll be a girl. You’d always told me: ‘everything will be alright blondie. You wait and see.’ I will always have your back whether it’s in this world, or the next. The two of us will be here if you ever want to visit. I love you James, I have always loved you.”

Juliet knew that could be a distinct possibility, but somehow, she knew that he would move on from this place. Getting to her feet, she moved aside and nodded to the three men just mere feet behind her. She kept staring at Sawyer’s body as they carried him out of the ‘crater’ and up to the tree line. As she climbed up with the others her mind became a blank slate. Her body was numb as if she’d been out in the snow too long. Jack looked at her seriously as he pulled a shovel from the van.

“This is my fault Juliet. Let me help you bury him.”

Juliet stayed quiet and stared straight ahead, she knew where she wanted to bury him. She sat quietly next to James’ covered body, but held onto his hand, not wanting to let go. Holding on tight to his cold hand as Jack began to dig, Juliet could feel her heartbeat quicken. Her mind was racing with so many different thoughts. Why had they come back? They ruined the life we had in the Dharma Initiative. We were happy. Would it really have been so bad if we’d raised a child or two in that environment? Her eyes now wandered to the freshly dug grave and she knew what was going to happen next. Leaning over his body she pulled back the blanket so that she could see his face.

“I will always love you James. Always.”

Whispering into his ear wasn’t going to change the fact that he was dead. Dead was dead on this island, and it brought misery to those who found themselves in the midst of it. Pushing a strand of hair that had fallen in his face, she examined every feature. He only looked like he was asleep. But she knew the truth: He was dead and he wasn’t coming back.

To Be Continued…
Sign up to rate and review this story