Categories > TV > Lost > Echoes of a lost love

Chapter 5: A dream? Or reality?

by dreamsarefanfiction 0 reviews

Juliet is led into the jungle by the black smoke posing as Sawyer.

Category: Lost - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2016-02-09 - 909 words

0Unrated
Had it been a dream? Or was it real? Juliet turned over on the blanket covering the sand below her. It was getting harder staying comfortable with her ever-growing belly. Had she really been seeing James? Staring up at the tent ceiling, she shook her head.

“Jack’s right, I’m probably just tired.”

Light was starting to seep through the opening of the tarp by her feet that served as her front door. She heard Jack’s voice come through the tarp and shut her eyes.

“Juliet are you awake?”

Opening her eyes, she propped herself up on her left elbow and answered.

“Yes. I can’t sleep anyways. Come in.”

Jack parted the tarp enough to enter Juliet’s shelter.

“How’s your back?”

\Juliet drummed the fingers of her right hand over the swell of her belly.

“Sore. You know, I’ve got a lot of laundry to do can we do my injection later?”

Jack stared at Juliet seriously and then shook his head no walking towards her with the syringe in-hand.

“You know the rules Juliet. This needs to be done right now. I’ll be quick about it. I promise.”

Staring up at the ceiling Juliet bit her lip. She almost wanted to hold her breath to alleviate the pain, the pinch of the needle was always the worst. Maybe seeing James was her way of not quite letting go. Had she seriously had enough time to grieve his loss? She knew that nightmares were one of the weirder parts of pregnancy, but were the one’s she was having about James really connected to it? Shaking her head, it might as well have been a separate issue. She grew angry when Jack offered her a hand up. Pushing his hands away, she pushed herself to her feet with the crate that was next to her head.

“I’m perfectly capable of getting to my feet by myself Jack.”

Jack stood out of her way as she gathered a pile of dirty clothes in her arms. Following her outside her shelter Jack spoke behind her.

“You know I’d prefer if you didn’t do your laundry alone. I’ll have Kate help you. You know we’re all here to help you Juliet.”

Sighing, Juliet placed a shirt on a rock and poured water on it, putting some soap she began scrubbing it. The rock had become her washboard. She missed her washer and dryer. One of the fallbacks of living on the beach. But it was better being here with the rest of them than with Ben. At least here, Ben didn’t have control over her anymore. She was finally free. Kate showed up next her and put a hand on her forearm.

“Here Juliet, let me get that. Jack told me you could use a little help.”

Moving aside, Juliet almost wanted to let out an annoyed sigh, but buttoned her lip and gave her best smile. Maybe it was a bit tightlipped.

“Thanks. I’ll have to figure out how I’m going to juggle this and the baby once they come.”

Kate stopped scrubbing and looked at Juliet with sympathy.

“You have an entire camp that is willing to help you out Juliet. We have your back.”

Juliet hadn’t been paying attention. Her attention had wandered to the tree line where she’d seen James a few months ago. Looking back to Kate she blinked.

“I’m sorry, what did you just say?”

Kate stopped scrubbing and gave Juliet a concerned look.

“I said we have your back. Those of us that are left in the camp.”

Nodding, Juliet dunked a pair of pants into the water trough and then handed them to Kate. A thought wandered out of her brain and made its way out of her mouth.

“Kate do you think James is still lingering on this island?”

Kate continued scrubbing Juliet’s yellow shirt and looked her dead in the eye.

“I guess it depends on what unfinished business he had in life.”

Juliet furrowed her eyebrows in serious thought.

“This island has been punishing me from day one. Had I known that Ben had plotted for Richard to kidnap me from Miami 6 years ago, I would’ve steered clear of the ‘job opportunity’ presented to me by him.”

Kate stopped and looked at Juliet for a moment and gave a heavy sigh.

“We all ended up here on the island one way or another. Whether it was by happenstance or kidnapping. Either way, it was against all our wills. We didn’t have a say in it did we?”

Juliet handed Kate another shirt as she dunked a pair of pants into the water trough. Looking up at the tree line, she saw James standing with his back against a palm tree, palm fronds under his feet. She gave him a watery smile. He held out his hand to her, taking it she stood up, this got Kate’s attention.

“Juliet where are you going?”

Juliet turned back and smiled, a first genuine smile Kate had seen in weeks.

“I’m going with James for a little while. Tell Jack not to worry.”

Kate stood up and started to protest.

“Juliet that’s not James… Come back!”

But by the time the words came tumbling from Kate’s mouth, Juliet had disappeared into the thick jungle that lie ahead.



To Be Continued...
Sign up to rate and review this story