Categories > Original > Drama > The Talent Expedition

Prologue

by bpwheels11 0 reviews

Prologue of The Talent Expedition

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Parody - Published: 2016-04-04 - Updated: 2016-04-05 - 547 words

0Unrated
If someone you know well plays the piano, you would politely smile upon a minor talent like any other person. Now if that person plays the piano exceptionally well, would there be a change? For the first part, yes. But after a while, you would get used to the marvelous sound and it would become normal. Other people who don't often get to hear the pleasing music quite often are always into that person wondering about this "miracle" sitting on the bench. If you imagine you are that player, you would have 2 very different reactions pulling you.
This exact situation fit Jacob Sulfur who lived at the edge of London, England. His house was at the edge of the dense Epping Forest, but it was only a simple 5-minute walk to London. Jacob was a normal boy like all other boys his age in 1839. He hunted animals and traded the skin and meat for money at the markets in London. He had a good group of friends for a 9-year old. He enjoyed feeling normal, well, to himself and friends. The only things he didn't enjoy was the attention he was getting and the death of his dearest father.
Years before, Jacob was only 4 when his father made something. He was out chopping wood as normal. Only a few days before his unexpected death, he had constructed a grand piano. He used the wood he had chopped himself, a bucket of black paint from the market, and a carpenter. His father wanted Jacob to learn how to play the piano from him. It was only 3 days later when he was attacked by a bear while chopping more wood.
From that point on, Jacob never chopped wood. He learned to play the piano like his father wanted him to do, and eventually, he discovered he could play very well from his own perspective and his mother's. His mother already got used to hearing him since he was 5, and his friends got used to it when he was 8. You could say he was well known by other people in London that didn't hear him play as often. He went to several crowded recitals in the city even though he preferred the privacy in his house in the woods.
Jacob tried to act like he was normal. He did not make much notice of his so-called "major talent" but others did. He knew he couldn't change who he was and the admiring people. Jacob was sick of the different reactions pulling him. He had one ridiculous idea in his head, but for now, he lived with the attention.
To get back to a normal life, he restricted himself to one performance per year and got a group of friends from people who also lived in the forest. Morris, Leiner, and Andrew first loved his music, but then listened to it regularly and just became friends where they made a living trading animal meat and skins. They had a natural way of living in the forest, and all 4 of them grew strong. An average day would be planning a snare, catching an animal, killing it, skinning it, and saving it until Saturday where they would trade it at the markets in London. However, some particular days are not normal at all.
Sign up to rate and review this story