Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Light

The Gatecrasher

by Everliah 0 reviews

'Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of places, if one only remembers to turn on the light.' What the Marauders did not expect was to throw the best party ever and have someone gatecrash ...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Angst,Humor,Romance - Characters: Hermione,James,Lily,Lupin,Peter,Sirius - Warnings: [!!] [?] - Published: 2016-04-06 - Updated: 2016-04-06 - 2834 words

1Original
Chapter 1- The Gatecrasher



The party roared in the Gryffindor Common Room.

Somehow, someone (and by someone, the eyebrows were raised towards the usual suspects, being resident Head Boy James Potter and his best friend Sirius Black), had sneaked in Muggle balloons and liquor. Although, most of the students had no idea what ‘liquor’ was, least of all how to pronounce the word, and had been going around slurring that they were, in fact, drinking ‘leeks-hair’.

The windows that surrounded the room showcased a dark backdrop of the night’s sky. It was only the end of November, and many were readily anticipating the Christmas Ball that was slowly but surely approaching in a few weeks. But none of that was really important, as the House of the Lions celebrated their third win of the Inter-house Quidditch season.

Girls screamed. Boys cheered. And a huge game of Truth or Dare was brewing up in front of the fire, and away from the dance floor, where someone had conjured a wizarding radio to play nonstop.

“Y’know Pad,” James said conversationally, his arms folded across his chest, leaning against the wall, out of the way of the party. “I think we should get Moony drunk more often.”
Sirius let out a bark of laughter, spotting their other best friend stumbling across the room as he tripped over a girl sat on the floor.

“Oh, I agree,” he replied, throwing an arm around James’s robed shoulder. Like the majority of people attending the party, they were both wearing their school uniform, having changed out of their dirty Quidditch kit earlier. “But do you have any idea where he got the hat?”

Remus Lupin staggered over, a tacky and overly bright Hawaiian shirt buttoned over the top of his school cardigan, with a straw sombrero haphazardly shoved on his head.
When he caught sight of the two Marauders, he opened his arms and grinned. His mouth was lopsided. “What’s up, witches?” Remus slurred.

Sirius and James shared a look of amusement.

“Hey Moony,” James said lightly. “Bit drunk, mate?”

“Whatareyoutalkingabout?” Remus replied in one breath, going to punch his friend playfully on the shoulder. His fist missed, however, by a fair few inches and went flying into thin-air instead.

Sirius raised an eyebrow.

“Maybe we shouldn’t have spiked all of your drinks,” he commented thoughtfully. Remus squinted at him. Then smiled. Then blinked.

“What?”

“We’re playing Truth or Dare,” James interrupted quickly, shooting Sirius a glare as the other boy opened his mouth. “Feeling risqué, Remy?”

As he said this, his hip jutted to the side, and he winked.

Remus frowned incredulously. Then shrugged.

“Well, we’ll take that as a yes!” Sirius announced, linking his arm with the drunk boy’s and leading him over to the forming circle in the centre of the room. James followed.

“Move over! Move over! Make way! Drunk Prefect coming through!” Sirius yelled, steering Remus by the shoulder’s through the throng of people.

“I’m Head Boy! Shove it!” James shouted.

They finally made it to the area where the game was about to start.

“Oi Potter, Black. You playing or what?” A sixth year called.

“Oh but of course! We practically invented the game!” Sirius replied, holding a hand over his heart. “I can’t believe you even had to ask!”

The three boys sat down (although Remus needed a little bit of help) and proceeded to carry on with the game.

A few dares later (where one boy, John Davies, had to tell McGonagall that Dayum, she’s looking mighty fine in that hat, and Frank and Alice revealed their crushes on one another- James and Sirius still hadn’t stopped cooing and imitating their blushing faces; they had even gone so far to fake make-out) and it was James’ go.

Remus smirked, obviously the drink had piqued the Marauder in him. “I dare you to…” he cut off, glancing at Sirius before leaning in and whispering the rest. “…mess up Sirius’ hair!”

James went pale. He gulped, his eyes widening under his glasses and flicking to his best friend, who looked confused.

“Erm-” he laughed nervously. “Come on, Moony. Don’t be like that…”

Remus shrugged. “A dare’s a dare… Unless you’re chicken…”

James stiffened, glaring at the other boy’s smug smirk. Of course, accusing him of being afraid, even in the slightest, was the surest way of getting James to do something. Even more so, when he was drunk as fuck.

Breathing deeply, he turned to Sirius.

He lifted his hand cautiously.

And messed up the other boy’s hair.

Sirius screamed, and James leapt up and ran. He growled, and raced after him, shouting, “POTTER! I SWEAR TO GOD YOU FUCKING PONCE, I WILL GET YOU! I WILL FUCKING KILL YOU! MY HAIR! MY HAIR!”

The rest of the party seemed to stop and everyone watched the two boys chasing each other over something as trivial as hair.
James’ face was contorted in something close to fear as the growling Sirius got closer and closer. He’d almost gotten away when Lily Evans stepped into his path. Her face almost matched the redness of her hair, her cheeks were flushed prettily, and she put her hands on her hips in a sloppy gesture.

“James Potter! Sneaking alcohol onto school grounds is not only against the rules, but dangerous! You are supposed to be Head Boy! I-” Her voice slurred a little, and he could taste the alcohol on her breath, which very much conflicted with what she was saying. He knew she only reprimanded him from habit. Smirking, James grabbed hold of her shoulders, skirting around to hide behind her and use her as a shield to the approaching Sirius.

“Lily, dear, I would love to chat- really, I would- but I am running for my life at the moment, so I really can’t-”

“Evans, move,” Sirius gritted out. James ducked his head to lean against Lily’s shoulder and her face, if possible, got even redder.

“Black,” she began scathingly, regaining composure. “If that was possible, don’t you think I would have done so by now?”

He considered this for a moment before pouted.

“He touched my hair!” Sirius whined, and Lily gasped dramatically.

“I know, Sirius. It’s an atrocity to mankind! But please don’t kill him, I rather-” she stopped speaking, almost cringing from what she was going to say next. “I rather nee-require him for Heads Duties.”

Whilst she had mumbled the last bit, James heard and shot his head up hopefully. “Did you hear that Padfoot? She said she needed m-”

He didn’t get to finish, as Sirius punched him in the nose.

A crack of glasses was heard and Lily cringed, biting her lip to keep a squeal in at the closeness of the fist.

“Ow.”

James clutched his nose, which had clearly been broken. The lenses of his glasses had fragmented lines running through them and James pulled a face. He then caught sight of his best friend’s horrified expression.

“PADFOOT! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO ME! YOU TOLD ME YOU LOVED ME!”

Sirius couldn’t help it anymore. When his best friend’s voice was that high-pitched and matched with that expression, he couldn’t help but laugh. Loudly.

Lily, despite having dreamt about this moment for many years (that is, James Potter being punched. Hard) could not stop herself from laughing, matching Sirius in volume. His stunned face shot to her and he took in her panting state, highly offended. She had doubled over, squeals of mirth escaping her pink lips. Her eyes were screwed shut. Although she did look cute, James grumbled, “Alright Evans, it wasn’t that funny.”

Sirius breathed heavily and said, still amused, “Do you want to join our game, Red?”

Lily looked at him secretively, and replied, “As honoured as I am by the invitation, Marls and I have our own drinking game going. And I am very determined to win.”

He watched her stalk away, something close to awe stretching his lips. Turning to James, he said, “Dude, if you don’t marry her. I will.”

The boy in question glared at him, which set him off laughing all over again.

When Sirius was finished guffawing, they both took their seats back on the floor to continue the game. James was still sullen and was clutching his nose, refusing to let Remus fix it whilst he was drunk (at first, he’d been more than willing until the other Marauder had exclaimed that the spell sounded too funny- “Epis-keeee! Epeeskee! Hahaha James, listen to thissss…”).

One of the fifth year girls giggled at Sirius, fluttering her eyelashes. James managed to raise an eyebrow but Sirius merely winked at her.

“Don’t encourage her, Padfoot,” James murmured discretely. Normally, he wouldn’t really care- might even find it amusing, but Sirius had just broken his nose and threatened to marry his Lily-Flower, and he felt slightly peeved to let his friend have his fun.

“Shut up, Snivellus.” James looked offended.

“SNIVELLUS?”

Sirius grinned, still maintaining eye contact with the girl on the other side of the circle. “Yeah, it’s the nose thing. No hard feelings.”

“NO HARD FEELINGS? NO HARD FEELINGS? YOU BROKE MY NOSE!”

“Yes, and you’re acting like a girl about it. Man up, Prongsie.”

The girl he had been flirting with suddenly spoke up. “I dare you, Sirius, to make someone fall for you.”

Even drunk Remus rolled his eyes at her obvious (and lame) attempt at flirting. Sirius smirked, his ears turning red, but nevertheless started crawling over towards the girl, who had unbuttoned the top of her oxford shirt.

A blinding light disturbed the party. Everyone fell quiet. Even Sirius paused in his pursuit.

It seemed like a storm had broken out inside the common room, and yet, whilst it was possible, there was something darker to the magic that swirled on the ceiling. A streak of lightening shot down, and a few people nearby screamed, jumping out of the way.

A low, rumbling noise began building up, along with a roaring wind, snaking through the crowd of students who were rigid in their fright. Then, an abrupt ripping noise tore through the room, deafening and loud. People covered their ears with their hands, crouching to try and hide from the sound, but to no avail.

It sobered Remus up, who got to his feet (quite steadily considering his state a few seconds previous) and looked around.

“It’s okay! Just stay still! Nobody move! It will just be a prank, nothing mor-”

The ceiling of smoke opened up and a black hole appeared.

Then, a girl dropped through and landed on none other than Sirius Black’s lap.

The storm cleared, and the wind stopped. James leaned over his friend’s shoulder, letting go of his nose momentarily in his shock.

“You know Pads, when she said get someone to fall for you… I don’t think she meant literally.”



oOoOoOo



The Hospital Wing had been in disarray ever since Sirius Black, James Potter and Remus Lupin had burst through the doors, carrying an unconscious girl, who was covered in dirt and fresh blood. Madam Pomfrey had almost had a fit, and had bustled about, ushering Sirius (who was carrying her bridal style) to lay her on a bed.

That was about thirty minutes ago.

Now, the three seventh years were slumped in separate chairs around the bed in question. They had definitely never seen the girl before, even though she looked to be about their age. She had brown hair that had been shoved into a ponytail some time ago, and long tendrils matted with all sorts of fluid curled around her face. Her face was browned by mud and dirt, but was overall soft, despite the slight edge to her expression that hardened her whole look. Her clothes had been torn and ripped beyond recognition, but Madam Pomfrey had changed her into one of the customary Hospital dresses.

Remus was sat closest to her. His hand was massaging his head, and he was silently staring at the floor.

Sirius was leaning back, his eyes glued to the girl’s face.

James remained standing, biting his nails and pacing every now and then.

“James, stop it. You’re giving me a headache,” Remus said quietly. He did stop, shooting his friend a worried glance.

“I’m fine,” the prefect said, waving his hand in dismissal. “Just hung-over. I cannot believe you spiked my drinks… with Muggle alcohol as well. I take it you’re not aware that Muggle alcohol has an elevated effect on Magical blood?”

Sirius and James shared a glance.

“And I’m about as magical as they get?”

“We’re sorry Moony… But it was pretty funny.”

Remus scowled at the two, then frowned. He raised his hand slowly to his head, and pulled the sombrero off. Looking at it, he alternated his gaze to the two boys on the other side of the bed. Incredulous, he asked, “Where did I get the hat?”

“We don’t know-” James said.

“-which is a shame seeing as-”

“-we really would like to get one ourselves!”

Remus sighed at them. “You’re still drunk, aren’t you?”

“Drunk as a skunk,” James smiled.

And then the girl shot up in bed.

Sirius shrieked, clutching onto the nearest thing, which happened to be James. Remus stared in surprise at her.

“I-I-” she stuttered, looking around the room quickly, her eyes darting to and from every detail. They saw Sirius first and her mouth dropped. “Sirius,” she breathed and tears filled her brown eyes. “I-you- oh my.”

A shaking hand reached up to wipe away a stray tear, and she closed her eyes briefly.

“Are you quite alright?” Remus asked softly, leaning forward so that he wouldn’t startle her by speaking loudly. She jolted, alarmed, and stared at him.

“Remus.”

He paused. “How do you know our names?”

But she hadn’t heard him.

“We lost, Remus. We lost. I don’t understand. Harry was doing so well, we thought we had them all but he made Harry one! He turned him against us- how could he do that? It doesn’t make sense. It doesn’t make- Harry had to die for us to kill him! How could we not know? How could we not-”

“You need to calm down,” James interrupted gently, stepping forward. The girl stopped speaking and looked at him with wide eyes.

“Harry! Oh my god. Harry, you’re okay. You’re alive! I thought- I thought-”

What she thought, they didn’t hear, as she threw back the covers, swung her legs off of the bed and launched herself into James’ arms.

James didn’t know what else to do. He wrapped his arms around her and tried to make soothing noises. “It’s okay, it’s okay. I’ve got you. You’re safe now.”

“Oh, Harry,” she sobbed.

She pulled away to smile and wipe her cheeks when she froze. Her face was the epitome of fading hope, and she recoiled, frowning deeply.

“You’re not Harry,” she whispered, her voice broken, her face red from the floods of tears.

James blushed, scratching the back of his neck nervously. “Uh, no. I’m James. James Potter.”

“James…” A flurry of emotions played across her face, conflicting ones that Sirius only caught in snippets; confusion, dread, fear, revelation and most prominent, a deep sadness. Then she frowned again. Her brain was whirring, too many cogs turning at once. “James…Sirius,” at each boy’s name, she spun around and looked at them. “Remus.”

Sirius watched her curiously, bewildered by her actions. He moved forward, cringing when she bristled at his proximity. “What’s your name?” He asked delicately, edging closer still.

“I-” the girl paused. Then she laughed weakly. “I don’t know whether that’s a good idea.”

Sirius tried to smile. “Why not? Little unfair, don’t you think? How you know our names, but we don’t know yours. By the way, I’m Sirius Orion Black the Third.”

“I know,” she mumbled. She looked him in the eye then, and she looked so scared and innocent and fragile and Sirius just wanted to hold her.

“I’m Remus John Lupin,” Remus spoke up from the other side of the bed, then he blushed when they all turned to look at him. “If you wanted to know.”

The girl smiled. “Professor R. J. Lupin,” she whispered sadly, faltering. And she let out another small laugh.

Then she twirled around gingerly and curtsied. James glanced cautiously at Sirius who looked alarmed. Remus thought she looked a little delirious, if he was honest.

But still, she smiled slightly- it never reached her eyes- and said, “I’m Hermione. Hermione Granger.”
Sign up to rate and review this story