Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Light

The Nickname

by Everliah 0 reviews

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Angst,Humor,Romance - Published: 2016-04-06 - 2880 words

1Ambiance
Chapter Five- The Nickname



Hermione had gone quiet and had reserved to sitting in front of the fire, entranced by the orange flames. She was on the floor, cross-legged, a small blanket thrown around her shoulders.

The Marauders were a good distance away, discussing what they had just heard.

“I’ve been thinking,” began Sirius, who was casually leaned up against the bookcase wall.

“Well, that’s never good,” Remus mumbled and the other boy shot him a mocking glare. “Do try not to over-exert yourself.”

“Oh shush Moony. Anyway, I’ve come to conclusion that we should adopt her!”

He looked at his friends, a triumphant and smug smile on his face, as though he’d just come up with the best plan in the world. Peter looked amused and asked with raised eyebrows, “Are you still drunk?”

James rolled his eyes.

“And by that, you mean…?” Remus pressed, a sarcastic twinge to his voice. Sirius sighed.

“The only thing that made me feel better when I ran away from home, was knowing that I had three people who cared about me. So, we let her know that we care about her,” he explained softly. “We look after her and help her adjust. We make her feel loved here, to rival the love she felt back home. We make her feel like she belongs.”

There was quiet.

“You know, Padfoot,” James said, shaking his head in awe. “Even though the majority, about 98.74%, of what comes out of your mouth is shit, every now and then, you say the smartest things.”

Sirius squinted, trying to figure out whether he should be flattered or offended. In the end, he settled on being both.

Peter nodded his assent. “Good idea, Pad.”

Sirius clapped the shorter boy on the back and grinned, “Thanks Pete.”

They slowly, hesitantly, walked over to the girl huddled on the floor. Remus knelt beside her.

“Hermione?” He said gently.

She turned to look at him and he could see the fire reflected in her brown eyes. “Yes?”

“We were just talking, and since you’re here, we’d like to look after you,” Remus closed his eyes, wincing a little. “I mean, of course, you don’t need looking after, you are a fully grown woman, after all, but if you-if you, erm-”

Hermione’s lips quirked at his stuttering.

“What our dear friend is trying to say, is that we want to adopt you!” Sirius announced happily. Hermione paused. James slapped his forehead.

“That is most certainly not what I was trying to say. At all,” Remus interjected.

“Basically, Hermione, what we are failing to get across here is that… if you want us here, we’ll be here,” Peter said, grinning lopsidedly.

She honestly felt her heart melt at the four earnest looks on each of their faces. She nodded and offered them a small smile. “I’m ready,” she said, looking at Remus.

He frowned, confused for a moment, until he remembered their conversation last night. “Okay.” He checked his watch. “Well, it’s almost tea time. We could go down to the Great Hall, if you want? It’s where we eat,” Remus added, as if she didn’t know. Hermione was about to open her mouth and say, “I know,” but she bit her lip. She’d have to play ignorant from now on.

Instead, she nodded.

Remus got to his feet, helping her up with him. Sirius swooped in straight away, offering his arm. He smiled at her impishly.

They walked in relative silence. But it wasn’t an uncomfortable silence. Rather, a silence where each was immersed in one’s own thoughts. Every now and then, one of them spoke up, informing her of the history of Hogwarts, but mainly pointing out the locations of their many pranks.

“And this here, this exact spot, is where we charmed the walls to turn anyone who touched them pink and fluffy. It was rather amusing to see Lucius Malfoy’s blonde hair deformed beyond recognition-”

“Personally, I think the bloke suited it,” James said, shrugging. “I don’t know why he didn’t appreciate it! The fluff and feathers really brought out his feminine side.”

Hermione had stiffened at the mention of the elder Malfoy, but allowed a small laugh to leave her lips from the image of him spluttering pink feathers.

They reached the Great Hall and she hesitated, digging her heels into the floor. Her breathing accelerated. Suddenly, the rush of events from that night came flooding back, assaulting her, invading her mind and vision. She could see Fred Weasley falling, see Lavender Brown being mauled by Greyback, see those people whose deaths she hadn’t witnessed, but she could imagine anyway and there were so many; Snape, Fred, Colin Creevey, Lavender, Tonks, Remus. There were so many more, but she felt sick just thinking of those few.

Hermione gripped Sirius’ arm tightly and he moved in front of her, holding her elbows. “It’s okay,” he said. “It’s okay.”

And for some strange reason, Hermione believed him.

She closed her eyes, breathing deeply, relishing in the feel of someone there next to her, reading to catch her if she fell to pieces. Then, she nodded and the boys opened the doors to the Great Hall.

It was just as she remembered it.

Four long wooden tables stood in line before her, each filled with various plates and platters of food until no inch of wood was visible. Students, dressed in muggle clothing, sat on the benches, adding colour to the old castle. There was laughter and a buzz of conversation, and Hermione felt her entire being ache. She clenched her jaw.

oOoOo

The familiar buzz of student’s voices greeted the Golden Trio as they walked through the oak doors. The clattering of utensils and the screech of owls enveloped them as they sat in their usual places at the Gryffindor table. Hermione immediately retrieved a book out of her bag and commenced to read, whilst the boys rolled their eyes in turn at their friend’s predictable behaviour. Ron reached out and grabbed something from every single plate in his grasp, before stuffing it into his mouth. Harry did the same.

“No potions for a week!” Ron exclaimed, mouth full. Both Harry and Hermione wrinkled their noses in disgust as food went flying everywhere. The week he was referring to was the week that Seamus Finnegan had blown up the entire dungeon. Luckily, it wasn’t anything too serious, but it was bad enough to have to cancel most of the classes located down there.

“I know!” Hermione complained, finally closing her book and gently pushing it to the side. “I mean, obviously I’m still going to read about it but it’s not the same thing!”

The boys, for the second time that morning, rolled their eyes and tried to hide their exasperation.

Hermione glared at them. “Just because I actually enjoy and care about my grades and studies doesn’t mean you two can act like nattering Neanderthals and laugh at me! Maybe you should actually attempt homework or, better yet, read to get good marks!” She huffed, standing up and throwing her bag over one shoulder, and stormed out of the Great Hall. Harry groaned and made a move to follow her but was pulled back onto the bench by his red-haired friend.

“Don’t worry mate, she’ll be back.” Harry looked doubtful. “She forgot her book!” Ron explained, winking and pointing at the heavy leather book still on the table. Both could hardly stop the huge grins spreading across their faces...

oOoOo

Hermione straightened her shoulders and stood tall. She detangled her arm from Sirius’ and strode confidently up through the middle of the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff tables. At some point, the din grew quiet and she could feel every set of eyes on her. They followed her movement with confusion.

She only stopped when she stood in front of Dumbledore, who was ignorantly cutting up some chicken. Hermione cleared her throat, and his twinkling eyes looked at her, brows raised as though he hadn’t been aware of her presence.

“Miss Granger, how are you?” Dumbledore asked humbly, smiling.

She raised her chin, flashing him a smile of her own. “I’m well, Professor. And yourself?”

“Good, good.” Hermione could see the other teachers staring at her in befuddlement. “And what can I do for you, my dear?”

She bit her lip, breathing, convincing herself to go through with this, before she said, “I’d like to take you up on your offer, Professor. If it still stands.”

He clapped his hands happily. “Why, of course! Of course. I’ll arrange for someone to collect your books and buy you some more personal possessions, shall we say.”

Her cheeks burned. “I- I don’t have any money, sir.”

Dumbledore waved her off. “Do not worry, child. I would be more than willing to help.”

And despite the animosity she felt towards him, Hermione still felt touched. “Thank you.”

He smiled warmly at her, “Do not mention it, Miss Granger. Now, I do believe you have attained quite the audience, and Mr Black looks positively impatient.” She turned her head around and blushed deeply at the fact that the entire hall was indeed watching her. Smiling at Dumbledore, Hermione spun on her heel and walked back to the Marauders.
James glared at anyone who stared at her for too long.

“What was that about?” Sirius asked when she got close enough.

“I was just letting Professor Dumbledore know that I was staying here,” she replied, laughing at the way his eyes lit up.

“Great!” Peter spoke up, glancing between them all. “Now can we sit down and eat? I’m starving!”

They all moved over to the Gryffindor Table. People were still staring and Hermione began to feel uncomfortable, but they quickly averted their eyes and attention when she or one of the boys met their gaze. Shifting in her seat, she surveyed the food in front of her, but the thought and sight of food made her feel sick. In the end, she settled for an apple, biting into it tentatively and slowly.

Peter and James devoured the food as if they hadn’t eaten in days; the former feeling it was his place to inform Hermione of all the exceptional meals on offer, with a full mouth and grin. Remus was a bit more civilised, but only marginally, and seemed to eat more chocolate than anything else, heading straight for the deserts. Sirius was just picking at bits of everything, plucking things off of James’ plate as soon as he put them down. Hermione raised an eyebrow but didn’t comment.

“Aren’t you hungry, Kitten?” Sirius asked, tilting his head down to look at her face. She shrugged a shoulder, then frowned.

“Kitten?” She questioned dubiously, testing it out on her lips before shaking her head. “No.”

“What?” He said.

“You are not calling me Kitten.”

“Why?” Sirius moaned, pouting and flopping his head onto her shoulder. Hermione jumped as he nuzzled into her hair, but relaxed slightly as she realised this was Sirius. Even in her time, he always seemed to like the company of people, and had no definition of personal space in his vocabulary. She had guessed it was just because he was starved for real human touch after twelve years of isolation, but now, she wasn’t so sure. Maybe he was always like that. Maybe he was just trying to make up for the lost love he never got back at home. His arm crept around her back, but didn’t actually touch her properly. His hand rested on the bench on her other side, but his arm brushed against her back every few seconds. She knew Sirius probably didn’t even know he was doing it.

“Because it’s degrading and stupid,” Hermione replied eventually, grabbing the sides of his head and pushing it back. He pouted, leaning into her touch, but then his lips stretched into a smile, and she found herself smiling too at his playfulness. She’d noticed it before, but now it was glaringly obvious; Sirius was truly like a little puppy.

“Well, what would you have me call you?” He asked, eyebrows raised, his face still encased in her hands.

“Hm,” Hermione pretended to think, then raised an eyebrow. “How about my name?”

“Hm,” Sirius mocked her. “How about Catulus?”

She scowled at him, “That just means Kitten in Latin!”

He pretended to be surprised, “Really? What a coincidence!”

Hermione glared, “Sirius.”

“Kitten.”

She sighed deeply but before she could reply, James cut her off. “As… touching as this is, I think I’m going to be sick.”

She blushed, sticking her tongue out at him and Sirius grinned, even as she let go of his face. She looked pointedly away then, still aware of the arm around her.

It sounded strange, but she almost forgot about everything going on. In fact, she did forget. With the Marauders as a distraction, maybe Hermione could use this solace. After all,
it wouldn’t last forever, and she craved the normalcy.

“Potter.”

A feminine voice broke the awkward silence and Hermione jumped, looking up suddenly. Her mouth dropped open when she spotted the redhead coming towards them. Her emerald eyes were shining with anger, her skin was pale and freckled; Lily Evans stopped behind Peter.

Her eyes were fixed on James, who had turned a rather ugly shade of red and had straightened his glasses. “Yes, Lily flower?”

Narrowed eyes narrowed even more, until they were merely slits of green. Even Hermione winced for him. “Don’t call me that, Potter.”

Beside her, Sirius nudged her side and whispered, “Hey, it’s like looking into a mirror, Kitten.”

“Don’t call me that, Black,” Hermione repeated, although the corner of her lips gave away her smile.

He chuckled.

“Hello Lily,” Remus greeted politely. Lily diverted her gaze and smiled brightly at him. It lit up her whole face and even though he looked so much like his father, Hermione recognised the smile immediately.

The redhead casually glanced around the rest of the group, then backtracked and looked at Hermione with wide eyes. “Oh! I didn’t realise there was a new student…” Lily shot James a frown, and he sunk further down in his seat. “I’m Lily Evans, Head Girl.” She offered her hand.

Hermione shook it and said, “Hermione Granger.”

“It’s so lovely to meet you!” Lily said, with another smile and Hermione knew immediately that she and Harry’s mother were going to get along. At that thought, she swallowed deeply, hating the fact that it was her who got to spend time with all of them, and not Harry.

“You too,” she managed to say.

Lily smiled once more, before her face dropped as she looked at James again.

“You didn’t turn up to the Head’s Meeting, Potter. It was this morning, after breakfast, but no, you were too busy recovering from your hangover to care! I searched the entire castle for you, but you weren’t there and nobody had seen you! You were drunk and unstable and God knows what else! Where in Merlin’s name were you?” Lily cried at last, hands on her hips.

Hermione almost raised her eyebrows in surprise. Weren’t Harry’s parents supposed to be helplessly in love?

“You know, Evans, if I didn’t know any better, I’d say you were worried about dear Prongs, here,” Sirius drawled.

Lily blushed a bright red and started spluttering indignantly, “I- well, it’s a good thing you don’t know any better otherwise, I’m afraid to say, you’d be sadly mistaken!”

But Sirius had obviously seen enough as he merely smirked, and said, “Whatever you say, Evans.”

Lily’s eyes widened a fraction and her mouth opened and closed twice before she settled on sending him a glare and saying to James (without looking at him directly), “There’s a Heads Meeting tonight, Potter. Don’t forget it.”

And she walked away.

James was still staring wistfully at her retreating figure and only turned back once the last of her red hair had disappeared. Remus shot him a sympathetic glance.

“I wonder how she’s so perky,” he commented. “Wasn’t she playing a drinking game with Marlene?”

Nobody answered.

“Now, c’mon Prongs. Cheer up!” Sirius said cheerfully, a huge grin present on his face. “We’ve still got a prank to plan…”

This perked him up and James shot up in his seat, until he was sat normally again. All four of the boys leaned in, until their heads were close together. They paused then, and looked at her. Sirius motioned towards the head-sized slot they had left empty in their circle.

Hermione regarded them cautiously.

But as Sirius’ arm grazed her back and excitement shone in James’ eyes, she reconsidered.

Would it really be so bad to just let go a little? As she leaned forward, she felt something she hadn’t felt in a long time.

Hermione felt free.
Sign up to rate and review this story