Categories > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon > Hope and Light: Silver Star Story

Episode 7

by Ray1 0 reviews

Alex and Co. enjoy the Goddess Festival, and decide whether or not Luna will stay with them.

Category: Sailor Moon - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover - Published: 2016-04-24 - 12776 words

0Unrated
Chapter Seven: ALittle Song on the Boat

The town of Saith had been a veritable hive of resentment, anger, and all out sour dispositions for the last few weeks, due to the rather unscrupulous actions of Brett the Gambler. To put it bluntly, the people felt like shit. Add the recent attack of the Saline Slimer into the mix, and it would be enough to kill any partying mood. In short, people should have been simply counting their blessings to still be alive, or to still have something to live for.

However, the Saline Slimer was now gone. The Sea Chart had been recovered, and the Sea Port and the Hispaniola were back in business. The cargo had been saved, and freshened up almost immediately. All because of a group of kids and their monster pets.

Gabumon decided not to try and correct them on the monster part, as it was true in a way. Digimon were after all digital /monsters/.

Now, because of all the good luck the town had had despite that last incident, Saith was brimming to the rim with good cheer, happiness, and the need to just have a damn good time. And, alongside Burg, they were letting the rest of Lunar know it.

“This is great!” Tai stated, drinking a concoction that tasted strangely like Coke. “A week ago, these people were…well, not very happy. Now look at them!”

Matt grinned. “Just goes to show that people can bounce back from any problem that pop’s up, and that includes stupid gamblers, and giant sea turds!”

“Don’t say that! You’ll make us sick!” Agumon groaned.

Tai chuckled, surveying the area around him. He saw Gomamon and Tentomon collecting some trinkets from one of the stands, then going over to where Joe and some pretty girl he had met were standing, laughing about something.

He watched as Biyomon flew over to where Palmon was sitting, pointing over to where Agumon and Gabumon were standing, both giggling and blushing. ‘Well, this could prove interesting.’

He saw Ramus and some other fat kid engaged in an eating contest, with Ramus easily winning. If Tai hadn’t seen how much Ramus could eat in a single seating, then he would have questioned what he was seeing. In fact, it amazed him that he hadn’t turned into agiant ball.

Finally, he saw Izzy and Mimi walk side by side, checking out all of the stands, playing some of the games, and just basically having fun.‘/They seem…very close,’/ he thought to himself, smirking. They were going to have fun teasing Izzy about this for the next several weeks, that was for sure.

Then he saw the one person he really wanted to see heading for him, holding a glass of her own, and his smirk became an actual smile.“Having fun, milady?”

Sora stopped in front of him, extremely happy. “I think I may stay here forever! This is better than anything we’ve got back home!”

“I agree with you there!” Tai clinked his glass against Sora’s.“And I think you can forget playing matchmaker with Alex and Luna,” he added. “They got together without your help.”

“Instead, you can try and put Izzy and Mimi together.” Matt pointed over to where the two in question were at that particular moment. “I don’t think they’ve been more than a foot apart since the festival started.”

Sora giggled, knowing fully well how different those two were. “Looks like I’m going to have my work cut out for me.”

“Yes, you do.” Tai held out his hand. “But before you start planning the Operation: Cupid of the Century, would you give me the honor of your company?”

She looked at him, her own eyes softening. “I would love to,” she replied, taking it. She immediately dragged him over to where agodly number of people were dancing. Matt chuckled, thinking that Sora had pulled her trap off perfectly. She tried just about anything to get some time alone with Tai.

“So, Matt!” Gabumon stated as he and Agumon approached, giving him aparticularly evil look. “I’m surprised you haven’t gone out to hunt for a female who would love to have the pleasure of your company, however rare that is. What’s the hold up?”

Matt looked down, returning the glare. “T.K. asked me to wait for him for some reason. I don’t know why. Which reminds me, weren’t you two going to speak to Palmon and Biyomon?”

“Oh!” The two most powerful Digimon of the group immediately began jogging through the crowd to the only female Digimon of the group, blushing madly. Matt grinned. ‘I’m going to enjoy teasing Gabumon about this.’

“Hey, Matt!” T.K. and Kari came running up, grinning as only little kids can. “Sorry to keep you waiting.”

“No problem. So, what did you want to talk to me about?” Matt asked.

“Well…” T.K. suddenly looked nervous, like the young boy he still was. “I wanted to ask you if you wanted to go with us to Sere’s stand. She wants to give the two of us something before we went to Meribia, and I'd like you there for support.”

Matt was touched. Even after everything that happened to the whole lot of them, T.K. was still a young child, albeit an exceptional one, and wanted some brotherly backup. On that, he could understand, and still be of use. “Sure,” he replied, grinning. “I do confess to a certain curiosity as to what she wants to give you.” He just hoped that it wasn’t anything dangerous.

“Careful, Matt,” Mimi’s voice said behind them, sounding rather amused. “You’re starting to sound like Izzy.”
“Yes. You definitely had my inflection down to atee.” Izzy walked up to Matt, looking rather amused as well.“Also, we wanted to ask you if we could tag along.”

T.K. nodded, surprised that Izzy and Mimi wanted to tag along. After all, he was just going to pick something up. It wasn’t that big of adeal.

On the other hand, it couldn’t hurt to have them along. After all, Patamon and Gatomon were actually having fun for the first time in amonth, and he wasn’t about to disturb them. “All right,” he said. “You two can come as well. It wouldn’t hurt to have some more moral support.”

----

“Thank you, good sir.” Sere put the money in her money pouch, then handing the scarf over to customer. “And if you have a chance, please check out the main store in Meribia. We have a much larger selection there than in any other store.”

“Will do.” The customer looked at her appraisingly. “Ya know, you are one of the richest, and most eligible, woman on Lunar today. You don’t have to come here every year.”

She smiled. “Well, I like to travel, and I don’t like being trapped in my shop all the time. Also, I wouldn’t miss the Goddess Festival’s here for anything.”

The customer smiled, then waved good bye. Sere watched as he left, then stretched. ‘At least he didn’t ask for my hand in marriage,’ she thought. /‘Even in jest.’/That was something she liked a whole lot.

“Looks like business is starting to pick up,” a voice suddenly said, breaking into her thoughts. She checked to see who it was. All she saw were two boys and a girl, all looking at some of her wares.

Then, acting on a hunch, she looked down.

“There’s a stool right next to you, T.K.” She pointed to the stool in question. “You can stand on it.”

“Thanks.” T.K. got on the stool in question. “I think I need to grow several feet. That way, I won’t be a little kid anymore.”

Sere chuckled. “Don’t be so hasty to grow. Being bigger isn’t all that it is cracked up to be. Your brother can attest to that.”

Matt grinned.

T.K. laughed. “Good point. So what did you want to see me about?” he asked, curiosity rearing its head once more.

Sere’s smile dropped, and her expression became serious. “Well, it’s very important. I wanted to give you something special before you went to Meribia.” She dropped underneath her stand, searching for something. “I wanted to give you…” With aslight grunt of victory, she pulled a parcel out from underneath her stand. “…this,” she finished, putting on the stand, and unwrapping it.

T.K.’s jaw dropped. Displayed before him was a sword, sheathed in a scabbard that appeared to be made of gold, complete with a strap that was designed so the sword hung on the person's back. The handle was made of a similar material, the crest of Hope engraved on it in stark relief. He unsheathed the weapon, examining it. The blade was about the same length as Kari’s Scepter, and had been kept clean and relatively sharp. It also felt very familiar to him, and it felt…right, being in his hand. He re-sheathed the sword, turning his attention back to Sere. “This is for me?” he asked, incredulous.

Matt had very much the same expression on his face. “You want… to give T.K… a sword?” he asked, slowly and deliberately, trying to process this new development.

Sere nodded. “That’s about the scope of things. However, if you don’t want your brother to have it, I will understand. Alittle child usually shouldn’t have a weapon of any kind. I’ll put it back underneath my stand, and I will never offer it to him again. All I know is that, as the Keeper of Hope, this sword is now his by right.” She let the statement hang for a moment. “It’s your call, Mister Ishida.”

Matt nodded, lost in thought. His common sense was warring with his gut instinct, as it always did when he was faced with a tough decision. On one hand, his common sense was telling him that T.K. wasn’t old enough to hold a sword. He could hurt himself, or worse! Also, T.K. didn’t know how to use a sword. He had never even raised awooden sword in his life. All in all, it was a potential recipe for disaster.

However, his instincts were telling him that if T.K. was allowed to have the sword, then he would wield it with the same maturity that he had in everything else. And something told him that T.K. could wield that blade, and wield it with great skill.

He knew his own thoughts, and thus knew he could not make the decision.“I think I’ll let T.K. decide. After all, this will affect him more than any of us.”

T.K. was almost bowled over by the trust his brother was putting in him. It reminded of their last few days in the Digital World. And like Matt, he was torn with what he should do.

C’mon, T.K.!’ he berated himself. ‘Make a decision! Show that you can! Show ‘em you are grown up enough to make this decision!’ And with a sudden confidence that he felt just suddenly, he picked the sword up, then strapping it on his back.“Thank you,” he murmured, bowing slightly at the waist.“How much is it?”

Sere’s smile grew only slightly wider. “It costs absolutely nothing. Think of it as a gift that I will not ask for back. Just don’t lose it, okay? Also, remember this; the weapon is only as strong as the person wielding it. Wield it well, and you have nothing to fear.”

T.K. nodded. “I'll remember. I promise.” He got a somewhat mischievous look on his face. “So, what was that about you being eligible, still?” he asked.

At this, Sere blushed. “Let’s just say I have had everybody from men to women who swung on the other side of the fence most of the time propose to me. And let me tell you, it’s very embarrassing sometimes.”

Mimi looked very amused. “I’m surprised you haven’t accepted any of them.”

“Well, I’d rather wait until I fall in love with someone. Kind of like you,” Sere retorted, bringing a slight blush to Mimi’s face. She looked at Izzy for a moment. “Though I think your search will be over soon. Now then…Miss Tachekawa. Can I speak to you, alone? I found something that belongs to you.”

Mimi looked confused. “Umm…sure.” She turned to Izzy and the others. “Could you give me a few minutes? Don’t worry, I won’t keep her long.”

Izzy looked confused, and that confusion was apparent on his face as he and the others left. Mimi watched them go, then asked, “So, what do you want to talk to me about?”

Sere looked to her left and right first, then, forgoing small talk completely, said, “You can tell them, Mimi. They won’t think any less of you.”

“What do-?” Mimi cut herself off, deciding that this was one person she could be somewhat honest with. “I’m just afraid. Ihave never told anyone my secrets. How’d you know?”

Sere’s chuckle this time was humorless. “Let’s just say I’ve known a few in my day. So I know what I’m looking for.” Then she bowed slightly. “I am also somewhat of a telepath, so I accidentally looked into your thoughts. Sorry.”

“Oh. You…won’t tell anyone, will you?”

“No, Mimi. I’m just a shopkeeper. I know how to keep a secret.” Sere stretched her arms. “However, you might want this back,” she added, handing Mimi a small parcel. “I found it in the inn. I’ve improved its structural integrity with a few strengthening charms, so it won’t break as easily.”

Mimi unwrapped it, checking what was underneath. “Thanks. I was wondering what had happened to them. Maybe I’ll wear them in front of the others someday.”

Sere’s smile grew softer still. “You’ll tell them when you’re ready, especially that young genius you like so much.” Her expression became more mischievous at the sudden blush that graced the young girl’s rapidly maturing features. “Oh, come on. It’s as obvious as my hairstyle. Now run along. Your friends are waiting.”

Still disconcerted with the whole thing, Mimi headed over to where Izzy was waiting, remembering to put the parcel in her bag at the last moment. As she did so, she vowed that someday, she would tell them her secrets. She just couldn’t do it now.

Sere watched Mimi with sympathy as she walked over to her friends. She understood the young ladies dilemma, having had the same problem when she was young. ‘She wants to belong so badly, but at the same time, she wants to be herself in front of her friends. Much like I was at her age. Her soul is tormented, and she wants to be accepted for who she is. I hope she gathers the courage to tell them soon, or she’ll crack under the strain. Then she’ll truly be alone.’

A customer caught her eye as he walked up, and she turned, a bright smile on her face as she greeted him. After he had bought something, giving her the customary marriage proposal, and had left, she sagged against the stand slightly, letting a sigh escape as she did so. She was slowly getting stronger, but it still was hard to use her powers for any period of time, no matter how brief. The use was exhausting, though not as much as it was in the past. Her mind, however, was on the Digi-Destined.

She already knew that T.K., Kari, and their digital companions were on their way to achieving their destiny, so she wouldn’t have to worry about them too much. She would instead turn her gaze to their fellow Digi-Destined, giving them advice, instructions, and also good old fashioned pep talks when they were down. She would especially help Mimi sort through her feelings for Koushiro Izumi.

She would also try to help Alex and Luna grow closer. ‘Those four are as bad as Prince Endyimon and Serena!’ she thought with a hint of a smile./ /'And I don't even want to think about Amy, and where she stood at this point.' She hoped their friends could help them with that.

Otherwise, she was going to lock the four of them in her storage room, and not let them out until something happened. ‘Might as well put the sleeping herbs on sale again. They were taking up room anyway…’

----

Izzy and Mimi walked through the crowds, both lost in their own, but very similar thoughts. Izzy, on his feelings for Mimi, Mimi, her feelings for Izzy. Both were working up the courage to tell the other how they felt. Working up the courage being the key phrase. They weren’t succeeding. /‘Still, it wouldn’t hurt to try,’/Izzy thought bracingly. ‘After all, what’s the worse that could happen?’

Turning his head, he cleared his throat, trying to ignore the butterflies in his stomach. “Uh…Mimi?”

Mimi turned her head, smiling. “Yes, Izzy?” she asked, her smile threatening to rob of him of what little courage he had. Of course, he wasn’t aware as to how much it was taking for her to act normally.

Taking a deep breath, he plowed on ahead. He had to show that he had abackbone. Most girls went for the guys with a backbone, right? “Now, we’ve known each other for a long time, Mimi. And we have always been honest with each other. Me, because I usually don’t have any reason to lie. You, because you’re, well, you’re a very sweet girl.”

Mimi knees were starting to wobble a little, but not enough for anyone to notice. “Aw, shucks, Izzy.” She bowed her head shyly.“I’m just like a lot of girls out there… on two different worlds, I think I must add.”

Izzy chuckled. “Mimi, your logic has become rather impeccable as of late. I feel like I’m being challenged!” Both laughed alittle at this. “But seriously, I really want to tell you something… of a rather personal nature.”

Her eyes widened slightly. Could it be? Was it possible that he…?

Izzy would have said more, but a sudden stampede of people heading in their direction cut him off. “What the-?” was all he got out, just before he was run over.

Literally.

The crowd of people continued on, unaware of what they had just done. And, if they had been aware, they probably would’ve cared less. Stampedes never really did care what they ran over, just so long as they made it to their destination with all due haste.

“Izzy!” Mimi ran over to where he was now lying flat on his back, staring up into the sky. “Are you okay?”

Izzy looked up at Mimi’s face. “Do you know how beautiful you look at this angle?” he asked, dazedly.

Mimi blushed. “Are you okay?” she asked again, successfully remaining on topic.

Izzy shook his head positive, trying to shake the cobwebs off. “What just happened?”

“You got run over by a mob.”

“Ah.”

With seemingly effortless strength, she helped him up, assisting him in brushing the dirt off of his shirt. “Wonder where they were all running off to?” she asked.

Izzy finished brushing off his trousers, and flexing his fingers. “Let’s go find out,” was the suggestion he threw on the table.

They walked over to where the crowd was forming. The crowd that now had members of the group that almost turned Izzy into a pancake. And he never even had the chance to tell Mimi how he felt.

As they approached, they heard someone start to speak. “Welcome!If you are here, then you wish to begin your journey in a game that is more than a game, and more of a way of life!” A roar of approval went through the crowd. “Well then, I will explain it, then!”

“The game is called /Secar Triad. /It is a game that is as old as Lunar, and just as amazing. Dragonmasters, ambassadors, and members of the elite have played this game for years, using it for diplomatic purposes, or in place of full scale battle with an enemy force. This will constitute the first year that the game has been opened up for members of lower birth. Now I shall explain the rules. And first and foremost of the rules is that you can have no more than two people, or two tag-teams, each containing two team members.”

“Each person will draw five cards. These five cards will make up your beginning hand, and cannot be traded in for any reason. If you do not have a monster card, then you shuffle your deck, and draw again. Once you have at least one monster card, the duel will begin.” He held up three different colored gemstones. “These are called energy stones. You use them to power each monsters attacks. The stronger the attack, the more of a certain color you will need. You can find out how powerful each one is in the handbook.”

“There are four different classifications of cards in this game; Monsters, Traps, Magic, and Enhancement cards. The monsters cards, well, monsters. Trap cards, you can use for basically trapping your opponent, or eliminating them outright. Enhancement cards are used to physically enhance your active monster’s offense and defense. And lastly, magic cards are, simply put, cards that are used for any purpose.”

“In order for you to score a victory, you must defeat your opponent’s monster in battle. Either with brute strength, or with strategy. Brute strength is usually how it is done, as they don’t expect you rookies to have a card that can match them. Strategy only comes when you don’t have the power, but you understand how to manipulate your deck. It is infinitely more difficult, but much more rewarding as well.”

“Each person has a life meter. That life meter is set for that specific person’s experience. Less experienced players usually go to four thousand life points, as it gives them time to strategize, and ultimately provides much needed playing time. The more experienced players usually can have as few as a thousand life points, as they can create winning strategies in the blink of an eye. To win, you must knock your opponents life points to zero. That can be accomplished by attacking your opponent’s monsters, or attacking your opponent directly. The destruction of the monsters will take five hundred life points. The direct attack will take athousand. You can only attack your opponent directly if he doesn’t have any monsters on the field. Remember that, all of you.”

“Now, each monster has a unique ability that is theirs alone, and can be called upon once in a game. Most people don’t bother, as their abilities would take away their ability to strike in that turn. Also, you don’t want to rely on their abilities too much, as they do have a tendency to backfire. Also, a little word of caution with Enhancement, Magic, and Trap Cards. Magic Cards can block Trap cards. Trap cards can stop Enhancement cards. And Enhancement cards can cancel out Trap and Magic card effects. This is done so that no card is unstoppable.”

Izzy and Mimi took all of this in rather quickly. Both were fans of the card games back home. Izzy however, was a card collector, who never used his cards except in championship tournaments. Therefore, he was experienced, but not the type of person that a world champion would notice.

Mimi, on the other hand, was a vicarious card shark. To her, card dueling was as integral as shopping and being with her friends. To her, it was a part of her life. She loved it, though her friends never even knew about it. After all, what would they think about that?

“Each of you will receive a starter deck, as well as forty gems of various colors. You can buy more at any store on Lunar.” The speaker held up a small box. “As you become more experienced, you can begin modifying your deck to suit your own style. Boosters are sold at all card stores that sell /Secar Triad/. And finally, Secar Triad is compatible with any card game out there, so cards that are not part of the game can be used. Now then, who wants to be the first to get a deck? Now, I have enough for all of you, but only two of you will get a winning deck.”

Almost immediately, the entire crowd began jockeying for the chance to be that person. They looked ready to kill each other for it. And they were being watched by two people who weren’t jumping at the chance.

“Kind of sad, really,” Mimi observed. “I mean, being enthusiastic about a game is one thing, but this is ridiculous.”

Izzy nodded. “It seems that this is a part of their culture, a part that has been denied to the common people for a long time. Now they get their chance.”

“Well, let’s go see the other sites then, Izzy.”

They had barely managed to take two steps when a voice shouted, “Excuse me,” behind them. Startled, they both whipped around.

The instructor came walking up to them, the crowd right behind him. In his hands, he was holding onto two boxes. “I believe you two shall get the first decks,” he said, handing them over to the two surprised Digi-Destined. “You both have the heart of champions, and could be the best ever.” Then he produced anumber of boxes. “And you can give these to your friends. You never know when you might need them.”

Izzy and Mimi accepted them, looking surprised at this. “Thank you,” Mimi even murmured, embarrassed by all of the attention they were receiving.

“I’ll take them, guys.” Tentomon flew up. “I just noticed the two of you, and I just couldn’t help noticing that you look alittle…flat there, Izzy.”

“Hah, hah. Take them and go already. I want to spend the rest of my time getting to the statue, just so I don’t feel any pain.”

Tentomon chuckled as he flew away. He knew where this was heading. It just was not going fast enough, in his opinion.

Izzy stopped for a minute to collect his thoughts, looked up…just in time to see Mimi be mobbed by more than two dozen young men, all of them fawning over her. Questions of “Are you single?”“Wanna go on a date?” “Did you know that pink’s my favorite color?” could be heard, coming at razor fast precision. Mimi looked very flustered at all of this attention, and tried to tell them that she wasn’t interested. Trying, not succeeding. And some of them were pressing themselves against her, trying to feel her up

And he was becoming both very jealous and very angry at their actions, and decided to do something about it. He even knew what he was going to do. He just couldn’t believe he was going to do it.

Pushing his way through the crowd, he made his way over to Mimi’s side, putting his arm around her waist. “Sorry gentlemen,” he said gruffly, “but she’s taken already.” Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Mimi smile gratefully at him, blushing slightly.

A collection of groans issued from the crowd, followed with deprecations, curses, as well as a few uncalled for names at Mimi’s expense. Izzy couldn’t hear them correctly, as they were all mixed together.

He got the gist of those names though, and that was enough to anger him even further. Only Mimi’s hand, rubbing his back soothingly, stopped him from doing a very un-Izzy like thing, and beating the living hell out of one of them. He stood there, seething, as the crowd dispersed in every direction, Mimi murmuring, “It’s all right, Izzy. They aren’t worth it,” in his ear.

“They shouldn’t have said those things about you. It’s not fair to you to have to hear those names.” Izzy looked at Mimi. “You are not like that at all.”

Mimi smiled. “I know that,” she whispered to him. “But they’re just jealous… at least, I hope it’s just jealousy. Some of those quieter requests were a little… sexual… in nature.” She paused for a moment. “Thank you again, for helping me out of that problem. It was really…sweet of you.”

Izzy smiled, taking his turn in blushing like a cherry. “Your welcome.”

They spent the rest of the Goddess Festival hand in hand, having the time of their young lives.

Though Izzy never did tell Mimi how he felt. And vice versa.

Talk about bad luck…and stampedes. Love was definitely tougher than it looked.

----

Palmon finished talking to Agumon and Nall about what she had observed, looking very frustrated as she did so. “I just don’t know her anymore,” she lamented. “I mean, she’s been acting more like Izzy almost since we’ve arrived. She hasn’t been complaining so much about her feet anymore, and fashion doesn’t seem to be so important anymore. I’m starting to wonder if that’s really Mimi, or if something took her place in transit!”

Agumon pondered for a moment on that, mentally rechecking everything that he had observed over the last few days, and found himself agreeing with Palmon. “She /has /been acting differently.” He shrugged his shoulders. “Maybe Izzy’s starting to rub off her.”

“And she was checking her gloves after that last battle,” Nall threw in. “So maybe she hasn’t changed-”

“She was analyzing them,” Palmon interrupted impatiently, “like a scientist. She wanted to know why they weren’t burned off when she launched that fire spell. There was nothing naïve about it. It wasn’t the Mimi I know.”

Agumon nodded. “Maybe she thinks that they don’t fit anymore, but that’s grasping at straws.” He began pacing back and forth. “But we have secrets of our own, Palmon. So does it really matter?”

Palmon looked shocked, but then sighed resignedly. “I guess so…it’s just that I don’t like not knowing my own partner.”

“I know what you mean, but when she’s ready to tell us, she will. Just give her some time.”

“Okay…Nall, get away from that crate of fish right now!”

“Excuuuuuuse me! I’m getting hungry!”
“And here we go,” Agumon muttered as Palmon and Nall began bickering. “So much for some quality time with her…”

“And who would that be?” Gabumon asked, coming up with Biyomon next to him.

Agumon looked rather peeved that he had been heard. “You know who I‘m talking about. As you can see, her vines are rather full right now.”

Biyomon shook her head in annoyance. “Want some help dealing with Nall?”

“Please, would you help us with him?”

----

They stayed up until midnight, enjoying everything that the festival had to offer, before retiring for the night. They all came to two conclusions. One, they absolutely /loved /the Goddess Festival. Two, they were going to give Mimi a semi-wide berth, as she was almost asleep. Waking her up when there wasn’t an immediate threat to their lives would prove disastrous for one‘s long term health, so they let Izzy guide her over to a particular spot, where she laid down and fell into a stupor. Everyone followed her example.

The Captain himself came to wake them up, using the trumpet he used to rouse his crew. He figured it would be safe to, seeing as how they had all stayed up late to enjoy themselves. He also wanted to see their reactions.

The reaction was instantaneous, and something he would remember for the rest of his days.

In the course of just one minute, the Captain was burned, chilled, electrocuted, wind whipped, just plain whipped, blown into a wall, almost beheaded by Gatomon, slapped by Gomamon, then had all four elements sent at him by Mimi, before they realized who they had hit. After Luna had healed him enough so he could hear, and move relatively well, they began apologizing. He waved it off, telling them he should have known better.

They ate breakfast at a quaint little diner, watching as the townspeople cleaned up the town, and helping a little themselves. After all, it was the least they could do.

Finally, though, it was time to leave…and to part. The leaving bunch began saying their good byes to the one who was staying behind.

“Are…you sure you’re going to stay here?” Nall asked sadly.

Luna nodded. “Yes, Nall. I’m worried about Alex’s parents. I have to go back and let them know that you two are doing fine.”

Sora came up and hugged her. “Thanks for being with us all the way here,” was all she said. Luna hugged her back, fighting back the tears in her eyes.

The other thanked her as well, each hugging her, or patting her on the shoulder, getting on the boat as they did so. Even Nall said, “I’ll miss you,” quietly, nuzzling her cheek for a second before flying up to perch on Alex’s shoulder.

“Nall,” Luna called out, “you have to take care of Alex for me, all right?”

“No problem!” Nall grinned. “If we get into trouble, I’ll just talk us out of it!”
“Oh no,” Joe groaned.“We’re all doomed.”

Everybody was torn between laughing and groaning, eventually deciding to laugh. Even Luna managed a few giggles, before turning her gaze to Alex.“Take care of yourself, Alex. Don’t sleep with your feet sticking out from under the covers! You’ll catch cold!”

Alex felt his cheeks burn with embarrassment, as Tai gave him asympathetic pat on the shoulder. “I feel your pain, man. Sora always tells me that before she leaves my apartment for the night.”

Alex gave him a nod. “She always does that, even when it’s a warm summer night.”

“Don’t forget to eat an orange or two on the ship!” Luna continued in a sing-song voice. “And…don’t forget about me,” she finished, sadder.

Alex nodded, his own smile fading at this. “I won’t. Ipromise.”

Kari got on Tai’s shoulders. “Good bye, Luna!” She waved enthusiastically. “I hope we see you again!”

The bell on the ship began tolling, letting everyone know that the anchor was about to rise. “Raise the sails!” The Captain roared. The crew did so. Finally, they raised the anchor.

“Take care, Luna! Remember to tell my Dad that I’m not coming back until I’ve made my first million!” Ramus called out.

“I will, don’t worry!”

“Farewell, Luna!” Nall gave her a one finger salute. “I’m confident we’ll meet again!”

“Come by Burg someday! I’ll give you a tour!”

“Bye, Luna! So long! See ya!” Nall shouted! All the Digi-Destined gave their own version of good bye to her. She simply nodded, smiling.

“I’ll miss you, Alex! Good bye!”

“Good bye, Luna.” Alex smiled a little at this. “And take care.” He turned around, struggling to hold in his tears.

Tai and Agumon watched the young man for a moment. Suddenly, everything they had observed concerning their interaction made perfect sense. They just didn’t understand why they hadn’t seen it sooner.

“He really does love her, doesn’t he?” Tai asked, feeling for him. “Beyond that of a friend, I mean.”

Agumon nodded, walking over to Alex. He tapped him on his knee, getting his attention. “Get her on this ship,” he immediately hissed once he had it. “You need her here, beside you. If you really do care for her, get her onboard now!”

Alex was surprised, and a little scared by the prospect, but slowly, the fear was replaced by determination. Agumon was right, of course. Hedid need Luna alongside him. As a friend, she was someone who he could rely on, a shoulder he could cry on. He was incomplete without her there. She was his friend, his better half, his sister. His soul mate. He couldn’t live without her.

All of these thoughts went through Alex’s head in the space of asecond.

The second thought was acted quickly upon.

As the boat began moving, Alex moved to the edge. He saw Luna bowing her head, unable to watch her friends leave port. “Luna!” he shouted. “Luna, you have to come with us!”

Luna’s head snapped up in shock. “What?” She couldn’t have heard him right. What did Alex mean?

Alex almost,/ almost/, sighed in exasperation. “Luna, all of the exciting adventures in the world mean nothing unless you’re here with us! This isn’t just my adventure, it’s /our/adventure! And I don’t mean our friends! I mean yours and mine!”

Luna’s eyes shimmered with confusion, and a faint glimmer of hope. Did he mean… what she thought he meant. “Oh, Alex…but…what if?” she managed to stammer out.

“There’s no time to think about it! Trust me on this!” Alex held his hand out over the edge. “Here, take my hand!”

Luna quickly made her decision. She took off running, her feet pounding the wooden dock. Her hand was outstretched, reaching out. She could feel her heart beating in anticipation for this, the first reckless thing she had ever done in her life.

Izzy stretched his own arm out. He had had a growth spurt over the year, so that he was now only an inch shorter than Tai. He only hoped that Luna would take it.

Luna managed to grab both hands…just as the ship reached the edge of the dock. Gathering her courage, she leaped upward. At the same time, Alex and Izzy heaved up, both of them almost pulling their arms out of their sockets. The effect was instantaneous, as Luna was literally catapulted upward. All three crashed to the deck, panting hard.

Luna got up, looking at Alex as he sat up. “I hope I’m doing the right thing. It’s all so exciting!”

Nall landed on her shoulder, smiling so widely that it looked like his jaw was on a hinge. “That was close,” he said, relief and amazement apparent in his voice. “You almost didn’t make it, Luna.”

“And, yes, you are doing the right thing.” Izzy winced as he stretched his arm out. “Though I may never hold anything in this arm ever again…”

Gomamon grinned. “And she would have made it. If you didn’t pull her up, I would’ve called upon an army of fish to get her onboard!”

Alex laughed breathlessly. “And you would have too,” he gasped. “And I would have been very happy. “Now our real adventure can finally begin…and you’ll be right with us where you belong!”

Luna still looked nervous, her face heating up. “Oh, Alex…I don’t know…about this… I’m…” She was definitely wondering if she had made the right decision, not to mention that being so close to Alex was wreaking havoc on her self control.

Nall took a closer look at her, grinning rather mischievously. “What’s wrong, Luna?” he asked. “Your face is all red!”

“I’m just trying…to catch my breath…that’s all.” Really, why hadn’t Alex turned him into a fur rug by now?

“Yeah, I’ll bet that was it,” Mimi whispered to Sora. Sora giggled.

Alex smiled gently. “I knew you would come with us, Luna. I had faith in you…” He held out his hand again. Luna took it, and got up. “Also, sometimes, you have to throw logical thinking out of the equation… and listen to what your heart wants. This was one such occasion.”

“Oh, Alex.” Then her expression became concerned. “But, what about your parents?”

Alex’s grin became more confident. “I’m going to tell you something my father told me. ‘Don’t worry about us,’ was what he said. And he was right.” He gave Luna a one armed hug. “They wanted us to remember them, but not to worry about them all the time.”

Ramus looked rather amused. “And if you worried all the time, then you would turn into him!” he added, jabbing at Joe with one of his fingers.

“Har, har, har,” was all Joe said as everyone else laughed, Luna included.

----

The day past quickly, and was full of surprises. For starters, Joe did not, as Ramus had predicted, begin throwing up at the first rocking of the boat, but had instead passed the time by standing near the railing, looking down at the water as it flowed past the /Hispaniola./Everyone could see that he loved the sea. Not as much as school, but he still loved it. In fact, as Alex watched, Joe looked down, trying to see if there was anything under the water, then reminding Gomamon for the umpteenth time not to jump in the water. Gomamon gave the usual grunt of disappointment before settling back on the rail.

Alex chuckled at the aquatic Digimon’s antics. Sometimes, those two were too amusing for their own good.

Nall had done much the same thing, but had become bored, and was now

hovering near Alex.“Alex, I don’t know about you, but I’m getting chilly out here.” He shivered to prove his point. “Want to head down below?”

Alex grinned mischievously. “Good idea. And who knows? Maybe you can tease

Sora for a while about that one night last week.”

Nall grinned wickedly as they began moving to the stairwell. “Thank you, buddy. I think I will do just that.” Laughing, they descended.

The interior of the ship was just as impressive as the outside. The wood was smooth, and had a feel of care to it that showed that the crew had made sure this thing remained a sea worthy vessel. “This is some ship, eh Alex?” Nall asked.

“Definitely.” Alex turned around, catching sight of something frankly confusing.“Why am I not surprised? Izzy, what are you doing?” he asked.

Izzy looked up from the floor. “What does it look like I’m doing?”

“Um…checking the floorboards for loose silver?”

“No, Nall. I’m seeing how strong the planks are, actually.” Izzy looked around him in admiration. “This ship could probably give Old Ironsides a run for its money.”

“Old Ironsides?”

Izzy smiled. “‘Old Ironsides’ was a nickname given to the U.S.S. Constitution, an

old United States Frigate from the Nineteenth Century, in the day when they were used as battleships. She was made a little bit differently by her builders, who wanted her to be special. To that end, only the best materials were used in her construction. It was one of the first ships to have a twin hull, one overlapping the other. The inside hull was similar to the single hulled ships of the time. The outer hull, on the other hand, was made with huge oak planks measuring twenty-one inches thick. It had seventy two sails, and its tallest mast measured around two hundred and thirty-three feet. It had forty-four cannons installed on it, so it was much better armed than the others of its fleet.”

“So, what was so important about it?” Nall asked.

“During the War of 1812 against England, the Constitution engaged in abattle against an English Warship called the /H.M.S. Guerriere, /and took a pounding. The sides were so thick, however, that the cannonballs just bounced off of it.”

“They bounced off the hull? That must have been some powerful magic they employed on that ship!”

“Nope,” Izzy chuckled mirthfully. “Just oak boards twenty-one inches thick, and, at the time, superior construction techniques. In fact, if memory serves correctly, it is still an active warship of the Boston Navy Shipyards, as well as the First Naval District.”

“But it doesn’t see any combat,” Alex said knowingly.

“It wouldn’t survive in the modern world for very long. It’s a warship in name only, having never been decommissioned. It’s actually nothing more these days than a tourist attraction.”

Nall was amazed. “Wow, that’s incredible. Maybe one day, we’ll have an ‘Old Ironsides’ of our own to be proud of.”

“So do I. And hopefully, I’ll be there to see it.”

Alex grinned. “We hope you see it, too. Well, we’re heading to the back. I think supper’s almost ready.”

“Okay,” Izzy muttered distractedly, already stooping down and pressing his hand onto another plank, testing its give. He felt it, and gave a nod of approval. He felt he was on a piece of history, though he knew he was on a ship that was different from the ships of the past on his world.

“Hey, Izzy! If you keep looking at the floorboards any longer, it’s going to spring a leak.”

Izzy looked up to see Tentomon. “And you would be the expert of that?”

Tentomon looked exasperated. “There are far more interesting places to observe on a ship then the floorboards. The galley, for instance.

Now Izzy chuckled. “I am assuming we have gotten our dinner?” he asked.

“Correct. Mimi and Palmon are guarding yours from Gatomon and Nall, and for areason. It’s fish, so they are on an aquatic rampage.”

“I pity Nall. He’s the oddball there.”

“He’s always the oddball.”

Izzy chuckled some more. “Well then, let’s go before Tai sends Sora and her dreaded lectures on me.”

They had reached the door to the dining area, when Tentomon turned his head. “Do you like her?” he asked suddenly.

Izzy was so surprised at the question that he almost tripped on his own two feet. He managed to right himself, and turned to look at the little insectoid. “Who do you mean?” he asked, though he had an inkling as to who his friend was speaking about.

“You know who I mean! Mimi! You look at her whenever you don’t have your head stuck in your computer, or raising hell with the damned Lunarian version of the Pillsbury Doughboy. You seem to ignore your computer, and stare at her like she’s the last woman on the planet. You blush whenever you start to talk to her about something, and when we are not in danger. You have begun to mutter her name in your sleep, and it‘s starting to drive me crazy! I want official confirmation that you are in love, and I want it now!”

“Shhh!” Izzy hissed, clamping his hand over Tentomon’s mouth, fearful that Mimi would come out and wonder what was going on. “I’ll tell you if you just quiet down, and promise not to tell anyone what you have heard. Okay?” A nod was all he received. “Yes, Ido love Mimi. She is the sweetest person on two worlds…in my opinion, that is. Is that okay?”

“Thank you.” Tentomon smirked, though Izzy still couldn’t see any facial expression changes. “That was all I needed to know.”

----

Patamon frowned, his little brow furrowing in concentration. The time for strategies, for talking, for changing the rules, was over. He had to act, and he had to act now. Otherwise, he would lose his one chance at winning.

From the other side of the table, his adversary watched him carefully, her facial expression unreadable. All around them, the small group that had gathered around them observed the two combatants. All around them, the ship rocked with the steady movement of the ocean. None of this registered to him, so great his concentration.

He made one final adjustment, then said one word. One word that sealed his opponents fate. “Checkmate.”

Luna blinked, looked down at the chessboard, then back up at Patamon in shock. “You…beat…me?” she asked, bewilderment evident in her voice. “You beat me in chess? And on your first try, too?”

Patamon preened a little. “Guess I’m just a natural,” was his reply. He was trying to sound humble, but wasn’t succeeding very well.

Ramus came back from the galley, already on his fourth helping. “Sounds more like luck. No one has ever beaten Luna at chess. It’s considered impossible. Hey, Alex!” he suddenly shouted, greeting their future Dragonmaster in training.

Alex sat down in an empty seat, Nall, Izzy, and Tentomon right behind him.“So, who won the chess match?” Alex asked, as if he already knew the answer.

“Patamon,” Gatomon purred, licking at one of her paws contentedly. She sounded like someone who rooted for her mon.

The young man practically fell out of his seat. Nall almost fell from the sky. Both stared at the flying Digimon with similar expressions on their faces. “Patamon…beat you?” Nall managed to get out.

Luna looked at them. “Imagine my surprise. He just wiped the floor with me, and that’s not an exaggeration.”

T.K. grinned. “That’s my partner for ya! He can do anything on his first try!” He gave Patamon a high five.

“Which scares me to no end.” She rose from her seat after saying that.“I’m going to get ready for bed. Don’t stay up too late, Alex. The same thing goes for all of you.”

Meanwhile, Izzy thanked Mimi and Palmon for guarding his dinner. Mimi blushed red, stuttered a “your welcome,” then practically flew into the sleeping quarters after Luna. Palmon stared at the trail her partner left, shook her head, then whispered something to Sora and Biyomon. The two nodded, and followed the cactus-type Digimon after Mimi. The door closed, sealing off whatever dastardly deeds the three were planning.

“So!” Alex began. “What are you all talking about? As if I need to be told?”

“Well, it’s only been the same thing Ramus has been talking about for the last month.” Gabumon looked rather resigned of it all.

“Damn straight!” Ramus shouted, trembling with excitement. “Alex, I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy! We’re on afantastic adventure…and we’re gonna be filthy, stinkin rich!” He let out a whoop of triumph “See? If we had listened to my dad, and stayed home, none of this would have happened!”

Izzy raise his glass. “And on that, we can agree!”

Ramus clinked his glass on Izzy’s. “But,” he said, alittle more somber. “I kinda wish my dad was here to see how far we’ve come…”

“…and how far you’ve come,” Izzy added. “This adventure has done wonders for you. You’ve not only grown up, but you have become braver. Something that staying in Burg wouldn’t have done.”

Nash nodded. “You raise an excellent point, my very intelligent friend. However, before you sell the Dragon Diamond Ramus keeps rambling about, I think you should meet Master Mel.”

“Mel,” Nall muttered thoughtfully. “Sounds familiar…”

If it was at all possible, Nash’s chest puffed out even more in pride. “As well he should!” he exclaimed. “ Mel is the one of the Four Heroes, and the governor of Meribia!”

Alex nodded. “No wonder. So what is Mel like in person?”

“Mel is a very friendly person. He might be able to put up with your attitude.”

“Oh, our attitude.” Agumon sneered in irritation. “We’re arrogant, and presumptuous, and, oh yeah, get caught in primitive traps.”

Nash threw him a particularly deadly look, before saying, “Well, when we reach Meribia, may I offer my services to help Mimi begin to understand her new found powers? I may not be a teacher, but I can introduce the basics to her.”

Izzy thought about it. “I think you better take it up with Mimi on that, because it’s not out decision. It will affect her more then any of us.” Suddenly, he looked around. “Where’s Tai and Matt? I haven’t seen either of them for a while.”

“Tai turned in early. He said the rocking of the boat made him sleepy. Matt is checking out the rest of the boat. However, I thought I saw him checking the backside of some young lady a while ago.” Agumon chuckled. “I am going to enjoy annoying him about that.”

T.K. laughed. “That’s my brother for ya! Always checking out girls any chance he gets. I’m surprised Tai hasn’t.”

Kari sidled up next to T.K. “Oh, he does,” she whispered mock conspiratorially. “He only checks out Sora, though.”

“Oh, is that all?” Ramus deadpanned. “I figured Tai would be checking out Mimi.

Oh, wait, that’s Izzy’s department.”

At that, Izzy blushed, muttering something along the lines of murdering Ramus, before turning his attention to his dinner. T.K. grinned…and for a moment, just a moment, he reminded Kari of Takeru. It was the same expression, the same smile.

And then the moment was broken when Gabumon gave out a yawn. “Well, I’m going to bed,” he declared. “Tell Matt when he gets back to do the same.”

“Will do, Gabumon,” Nall called out.

“Speaking of sleep…” Tentomon began buzzing to the stairwell. “I’m going to go get Joe and Gomamon before they freeze.”

“Good idea.” Agumon stretched his arms as he got out of his seat. “Do we have any idea if the ladies are in bed yet?”

“Well, if they aren’t, then we’re all sushi.”

On that particular note, most of them began vacating their seats and heading for the door.

----

Mimi pulled the sleep shirt over her head, wondering very little about whether or not it showed enough skin. All of her bed clothes, whether in Tokyo or Lunar had been modest when compared to most of her everyday wear, and nowhere near as flattering, which was definitely different from her personality, at least before the Digital World./‘Why does Mimi have such modest clothing?’ /Sora asked herself. ‘Why doesn’t she have something, fancier, like a nightgown?’ But she knew the answer to that. Mimi never did like anything that was fancy, except for dresses. She had no idea why, though.

As if to answer her unspoken thoughts, she heard Mimi mutter, “I wonder what Izzy would think of these.” She giggled lightly before turning to Luna, to see if she had anything to say about it. After all, they were garments that her fellow Digi-Destine had just bought from the ‘gift shop,’ if one could call it that. Something about sleeping in fresh clothes had become a goal.

She saw Luna on one of the beds, looking rather confused. “What is it?” she asked.

Luna looked up. “I’m…just thinking about Alex. About everything that’s happened.”

“Oh, yeah?” Mimi walked over, Biyomon and Palmon right behind her.“What are you thinking about now?”

Luna took a deep breath, debating as to whether or not she said anything.“Alex has grown up so much since we set out from Burg. When we left, he was just a boy…and on the outside, he still is.” She took a deep breath, as if hesitant to continue.

“But…?” Palmon coaxed gently.

“But he’s changed somehow on the inside” The young Lunarian turned away, so neither of them could see her tears. “This is all happening so fast,” she said. “I wish I could understand these feelings.”

Mimi walked over and hugged her. “And that’s what you’re afraid of? You’re afraid of change?”

Luna nodded. “Yes, in a sense. I used to think that I had to take care of Alex. But now, I want him to take care of me…”

Sora and the two Digimon joined the group hug. “We know how you feel,” she confessed. “Because we have been having the same thoughts about those we care about too.”

----

Nash finally got up, stretching as he did so. “Even someone who is in peak physical condition has to sleep.” He joined the small group starting to mill around the door to the sleeping quarters.“Everyone, I’ll see you in the morning.”

Ramus got up, swaying slightly as he did so. “Man, am I tired…I’d better lie down before you guys have to carry me to bed…like last time,” he added, yawning as he did so.

“Don’t remind us,” Alex grumbled, getting up as well. “C’mon, you.” He gave Nall a little shake.

“Checkmate!” Patamon declared. “You know, when we get back to the Digital World, maybe I’ll start up a chess tournament there.”

Gatomon looked at him. “Half of the Digimon have no hands,” she reminded him sweetly. “And the other half would play you once, then never play again.”

Patamon sighed, before giving Gatomon a small peck on the cheek. “Thanks for taking the wind out of my sails. I had a good idea, and you shot it down.” He grinned wickedly as Gatomon turned an interesting shade of red. “Though the payback is very interesting.”

Ramus chuckled before yawning again. “You guys should go to sleep too. We need to be sharp if we’re going to negotiate for a good price on the Dragon Diamond!”

“Hmmm…good point. Hey, Matt. Is it safe to enter yet?”

“Yes.” There was such palpable relief in his tone that Alex had to stifle alaugh. Obviously, the keeper of Friendship was thinking on the same lines as him.

As one, they filed up to the door. “Can we come in, or do you want to make us wait?” Agumon asked.

“You can come in,” Sora’s voice issued from the other side.“Just stay away from Tai. Otherwise, I’m going to hurt you.”

Joe looked amused. “And now we know who she likes. Like we ever needed any evidence.”

Immediately upon entering, however, they realized the purpose for Sora’s warning. Tai was in one of the far bunks, quietly breathing in and out. A far cry from any other time they had seen him asleep. Averrrrrrry far cry.

Sora climbed into the bed next to him, and Agumon went into relaxed mode between them. Waking any of them up would produce a wanna-be cooked version the person in question.

Roasted Fur ball, anybody?

However, all these thoughts flew from Izzy’s head when he saw Mimi. The only other time he had seen Mimi in her nightclothes was during the battle with Myotismon. He had disregarded it at the time, because they were busy fighting for their lives. Now he didn’t have that excuse. And he was staring. Something that was happening much more frequently every day.

If looks could tell a story, then Izzy would have been a novel. Correction, he was a novel. Every page was filled with intricate knowledge of his emotional state.

Mimi ducked her head, mumbled, “Good night,” to everyone, then practically flew into her bed, covering her head with the covers. Palmon sighed, shaking her head.

Joe and Gomamon fell into a bed almost upon entering, falling asleep almost immediately. Palmon dropped herself next to Mimi’s bed. Matt and Gabumon were already asleep. Izzy got into a bed, having led there by Biyomon and Tentomon. Much to his ever increasing embarrassment, the bed was located right next Mimi’s. He followed Mimi’s example, namely, covering his head with the blanket. Tentomon sighed, shaking his head.

Alex almost got into bed, but chanced a glimpse at Luna. He was a little surprised to see her looking pale, almost as if she was trying to hold something in.

Nall also noticed this, and flew over to her. “What’s the matter, Luna? You look awful!” He exclaimed. “Do you have to hurl on deck?”

Luna looked up, looking rather pathetic. “I do feel seasick, Nall, now that you mention it…” she mumbled. “I think I’m going to lie down before it gets any worse…”

Alex came over, and led her to a bed near his. Then he helped her lay down, giving her a little peck on the forehead. “Night, Luna…”

Luna smiled faintly. “Good night, Alex.” Slowly, she drifted off to sleep.

The young man walked back to his own bunk, an excited Nall nipping at his hair. “I can’t wait!” he heard the little hair ball exclaim. “And I still can’t believe we’re actually doing this!”

“Neither can I, but hey,” Alex grinned. “Life’s just full of surprise.”

“And they just keep on coming!” T.K. and Kari called sounded off in another corner, laughing as they did so.

----

In the middle of the night, Alex awoke. He woke up thirsty, not an uncommon occurrence. Very annoying, to say the least. “Why is it always in the middle of the night?” he grumbled as he located his backpack, and hunted for his water bottle. Getting it out, he took a long drink. “Ahhh…I hope Dyne didn’t have to worry about this all the time…”

He was in the process of putting it back in his sack, when a movement in his peripheral vision caught his eye. Looking up, he saw a person with blue hair walk out the door. A cursory glance confirmed Joe was still in bed, breathing very quietly. Therefore, by process of elimination, it could only be one person.

“Luna?” Alex stared, dumbfounded, then went and shook Nall. “Pssst!Hey, wake up, you flying hair brain!” he hissed.

“Hmmm?” Said hair brain slowly woke from his very good dream, blinking.“Wha…whaisit, Alex?” he slurred, looking bleary eyed. Then his gaze fell upon Luna’s empty bed, and his gaze sharpened. “Where’s Luna? Alex, where’d she go?”

“She just left the room a few seconds ago. Other than that, I have no idea.”

Nall took flight, hovering in view of Alex. “Let’s go find her, Alex,” he suggested. “There are only so many places on a ship she can be!”

“Good point there. Only, one word of advice; Don’t wake Tai.”

Nall nodded his affirmative. They moved with care past the beds, trying not to wake up anyone else. Upon reaching the door, Alex opened it, letting a sigh of relief come out. Quietly, of course.

Nash looked up as he saw the door to the sleeping quarters open, and deposit Alex and Nall. He wasn’t surprised by this. “Alex?What are you doing awake? Feeling nervous?”

Alex thought about it for a moment. “A little, now that you mentioned it,” he said, sitting down.

Nash smiled. “I can’t say I’m surprised.” He leaned in closer. “If it makes you feel any better,” he whispered, “I was also a bit nervous the first time I went to Meribia.” He leaned back in his chair, totally at ease with the world around them. “You realize, of course, that I’ll strike you down with thunder magic if you tell anyone.”

Alex chuckled, giving him a one finger salute. “Your secrets safe with me. So, have you seen Luna?”

Nash suddenly noted that that was the reason Alex was apparently up now. If he hadn’t, then he was a true idiot, as opposed to just being arrogant. “Luna couldn’t sleep either. I offered to keep her company, but she went up to the deck alone.”

“Now why would she do that?”

“Maybe,” Agumon’s voice said behind them, “she was trying to let the rest of us get some sleep.”

Alex moved to another seat as the orange Digimon sat down, looking extremely cranky. “Guess you can hear people whisper, huh?” he said, edging away from him a little bit.

“In a bulls-eye. Now what was so important that you had to risk incurring my wrath?”

“They were looking for Luna,” Nash replied. He looked at them. “In fact, weren’t you two going to go check on her? Like, right now?”

“Yes, we were. Thank you for reminding me.” Alex got up, bowing to Agumon as he did so. “Sorry for waking you up, buddy.”

Agumon waved it off, chuckling as he did so. “Don’t worry about it. Just, do me a favor. Don’t do it again.” He watched as Alex and Nall made their way to the stairwell. “Good luck,” he added quietly.

----

“So, I wonder why Luna couldn’t sleep?” Nall asked, flying alittle faster than usual. “I mean, she has never had any trouble sleeping before in Burg.”

“Well, let me think.” Alex began ticking off the reasons off his fingertips. “We’re not in Burg, and that’s very familiar territory. We are on a ship that’s sailing to the mainland, and we are on an adventure that exceeds even my dreams. And to top it all off, we are in the company of a group of people and creatures from a parallel realm, who we are helping try to find a way home. That enough for you?”

“Hmmm…good point. But why now? Why not earlier?”

Alex sighed in exasperation. Were all flying fur balls this tenacious in their questioning, or was he the only one cursed with one? “I…do not…know. And I am not going to find out.”

Nall sighed as well, as they reached the deck. “Now, then,” he said. “If I was a blue haired woman, where would I hide?”

“Under a brown haired boy’s bed.” Alex laughed at Nall’s shocked expression. “Just kidding, Nall. But seriously, Ithink…” Suddenly having a sudden suspicion, he looked up. After all, she seemed to have an affinity for heights. “…She’s up there,” he finished, his throat suddenly dry.

“Huh?” Nall looked up, confused…and promptly fell silent.

There, standing in the crows nest, was Luna. A vision of beauty, the Blue Star acting as a backdrop, she stared upward into the sky. Her eyes the clearest blue, her hair the same color.

Alex was still as he beheld the vision of beauty before him. His heart swelled with love for her, and suddenly, he didn’t feel like disturbing her.

Luna, on the other hand, was completely unaware of the two of them, as she was staring at a group of fireflies. She stared at them, envying them for their carelessness, their lack of emotional turmoil. She sometimes wished she could be like them, without a care in the world.

Closing her hand over one of them, she observed it silently for a moment, marveling that it was generating light, but no heat. She found it very interesting. Then, acting on a sudden impulse, she began to sing.

Wishing on a dream that seems far off

Hoping it will come today

Into the starlit night

Foolish dreamers turn their gaze

Waiting on ashooting star

But…what if that star is not to come?
Will their dreams fade to nothing?


When the horizon darkens most

We all need to believe there is hope

Luna released the firefly, watching it as it flew into the night with the rest of them. Her eyes became very distant as she allowed herself to think of things she didn’t usually think about. Primarily, her feelings for Alex, and her lack of courage telling him about them.

Is there an angel watching over me?
Can there be a guiding light I’ve yet to see?


I know my heart should guide me but,

There’s hole within my soul

What can fill this emptiness inside of me?

Will I truly be satisfied without knowing?

I wish, then, for achance to see

Now all I need(desperately)

Is my star to come

Luna’s voice tapered off, as she turned her gaze to the Blue Star, her thoughts on Alex…and beyond.

Nall flew a little higher. “Hey, Luna! What are you-?”

He was immediately silenced by Alex, who managed to get a hand around his mouth before she could hear him, forcing him to be quiet. He silently shook his head, letting Nall know that he didn’t him disturbing her. Nall nodded, then followed Alex back to the stairwell. Before going back downstairs, they took one last look at her.

Luna stayed there, staring upwards into the heavens.

----

Tentomon slowly awoke to an insistent poking in his side. “Unless this is an insanely beautiful Digimon, I’m going to hurt you,” he grumbled.

“And good morning to you too. I would like to think you couldn’t hurt me. After all, I’m a /plant/!”

Tentomon allowed sensory perception to enter his eyes. “Good morning to you, Palmon. Now go to Hell.”

Izzy finished putting on his shirt, chuckling as he did so. “I take it Tento is no longer a morning person.”

“Oh, he still is,” Agumon stated. “He just doesn’t like being poked awake. It makes him grouchy.”

Taichi Kamiya, Yamato Ishida! Get out of bed this very instant!”Sora’s shout soon had Ramus scurrying back five feet and Gabumon literally flying out from the corner.

“She’s awake,” Gomamon understated. “And she is letting us know why girls are superior to boys, once again.”

Joe looked around him. “Does anyone else notice that we outnumber them by at least two to one, yet they have the home field advantage?Does anyone see something wrong with this picture?”

“You want to tell them that?” Ramus retorted. “Be our guest. We’re staying right here. We’ll be around to pick up the pieces when they’re done with you.”

Mimi came over to them, rubbing her stomach. “When’s breakfast?” she asked pleasantly.

Gabumon and Kari looked at her. “You scare me sometimes, Mimi,” Gabumon confessed. “How can you think about eating when we are only an hour away from Meribia?”

Mimi pretended to think about it over, tapping her chin. “Because I’m hungry,” she finally answered with.

Meanwhile, Luna stalked over to Alex’s bed, acting like she was fully rested. “Alex! Nall! How long are you two going to sleep?” she asked sharply, giving Alex a shake. “We’re only a few miles away from Meribia! It’s time to wake up…/ahhh!/” she suddenly shrieked when Alex’s eyes suddenly snapped open and grabbing her arm, laughing as he did so. “Don’t do that!” Luna shouted, giving him a good slap on the shoulder.

“Sorry Luna, but I just couldn’t resist.” Alex’s smile made him look like the boy he used to be, complete with the mischievous look. Her knees almost gave out there and then.

To distract herself, she turned around to Nall, who was starting to blink. “Luna…I hope your nose is a snooze button,” he grumbled, “because I’m going to jab it…”

Luna laughed. “Oh, Nall, quit your moaning and get /up/, stumble butt!”

“Yeah‘Stumble butt,’” Gatomon said. “Get up. Otherwise, we’re leaving you here.”

Alex got out of bed, stretching as he did so. “Man, am I ever hungry.” He turned to the others. “Let’s go get something to eat.”

Kari stared at him like he was an alien. “You’re as bad as Mimi,” she stated.

Nall began flapping his wings, working the kinks out of them. “I’m so glad you woke me up, Luna,” he growled. “I was having a nightmare about a bunch of half-dressed servant girls hand feeding me fish.”

Luna returned Nall’s glare. “Excuse me for thinking you wanted to wake up sometime this year!” she snapped.

Alex stepped in between them before the argument escalated even further. That was one morning tradition that he rather have disappeared. “Now, now. No fighting in the morning. Save it for three o’clock.”

Nall and Luna both chuckled. “You’re a lot of help, Alex. Aren’t you supposed to be taking Luna’s side?” Nall asked.

“And can’t you two wait until /Wrestlemania?” /Tai asked.[//]

“/What?/”

“Here we go again,” Kari groaned.

“Not today!” Ramus shouted “We’re in Meribia, guys…we’re really in Meribia!”

Nall perked up immediately. “You’re right! We are, so we need to get ready!” A slight rumbling was heard, issued from Mimi’s stomach. “After we eat,” Nall added.

In a single file line, they left the sleeping quarters, just in time to see Nash sit down. “Where were you?” Tai asked.

Nash grinned sheepishly. “I fell asleep in the chair, then woke up with a serious need to-”

“Thanks. No need to finish that sentence,” Ramus cut him off as he slid into his seat, clasping his breakfast tray. “Somebody give me abig juicy pinch, because I must be dreaming!”

Immediately, Gomamon did just that, obtaining a yelp from the pudgy guy. “Nope, you’re not dreaming. And now you’ll have a black and blue mark to remind you.”

Nall noted that, despite that pinch, Ramus was in good spirits. “I think Ramus is a little overwhelmed now…” he noted.

Alex grinned, that look in his eyes more pronounced. “I realize this, Nall.”

Luna looked at him. “Aren’t you excited, Alex?” she asked. “You don’t have to be calm. It’s okay to let your emotions go once in a while!”

Mimi observed the boy in question as she finished off her breakfast. For some reason, she was eating more and more each day. Soon, she would be eating as much as Ramus and Tai. “Actually, Luna, I think he is letting his emotions go. After all, I don’t think someone who has suppressed his emotions would go through all the trouble to scare you.”

“You raise a very excellent point there, my hat wearing friend.”

‘So do I. Why don’t you calm down?” Nash asked Ramus.“Meribia isn’t going anywhere!”

Nall directed his glance to Nash, a sly look entering it. “Why are/you/ so restless, Nash? You’re just as worked up as the rest of us!”

“So I can report to Ro-uh.” Nash hesitated for a second. “Because everyone knows that you think better when your heart s pumping!” he finally finished smoothly.

Matt definitely felt skeptical. He had caught that slight hesitation, and it made him curious. “Yeah, right.” He set his plate down on the counter, everyone else following him. “I’m going topside. Anyone care to join me?”

A few seconds later, a small group of teenagers and monsters began walking quickly up the stairwell. Walking, not running. After all, they didn’t want to run into anybody.

----

The crew watched in amazement as their passengers all vied for the best position to see Meribia.

Biyomon, Tentomon, Nall, and Patamon all sighed, and hovered over their heads. Finally, Alex, Luna, T.K., Kari, and Gatomon managed to fight their way to the front. After that, everything calmed down as the rest of them found places to stand.

“Wow,” was all that came from Nall’s mouth.

“Prodigious,” Izzy murmured, Mimi mouthing him as he did so.

Luna looked over at Alex, catching the look of awe on his face. “It’s even more magnificent than I imagined, Alex.” She moved closer to Alex, holding out her hand. Alex grasped it firmly, nether one of them taking their gaze off the city. No one noticed Kari and T.K. doing the same thing.

After a few moments, Nall managed to find his voice in the cupboard over the refrigerator. “Look at all the ships, and the huge town!Meribia is even more splendid than I imagined!”

“Yes, and you imagine a lot.” Tentomon was looking happier. “I’ve got a feeling we’re going to get some answers here!”

If only he knew.
Sign up to rate and review this story