Categories > Original > Fantasy

Sacrifice

by NyeWolfe 0 reviews

When defeat is upon you, what will you sacrifice?

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2016-05-01 - 773 words - Complete

1Exciting
“Sir Symon!” Issobella cried in distress. The immense doors to the chamber creaked on their hinges as Symon heaved them open. Dents, gashes and blood coated the knight’s once majestic armor. Gasping for breath, Symon entered the grand hall, attempting to regain his composure. His eyes narrowed at the tyrant Kaslhan, but he froze as his piercing gaze caught sight of Issobella. She was unconscious and tied to a wooden post. Ritualistic ingredients laid sprawled about her feet.
“Lady Issobella!” Rage like a fiery dragon awoke from within Symon. His feet acted on their own as his hands drew his sword. The frenzied knight swiftly traversed the grand hall and leapt at Kaslhan who had remained seated upon his makeshift throne. A flash of lightning flooded through the extravagant windows.
“So this is your champion?” Kaslhan dryly remarked as he now stood upon his feet. A loud thud arose from the bottom of the stairs.
“Sir S-Symon?” Issobella called out. Symon lay upon his back at the base of the steps leading to the throne, a large gash now across his chest. Kaslhan’s sword dripped blood as he clenched it firmly in his hand. A massive giant, Kaslhan was nearly seven feet, and his width was equally terrifying. No armor adorned him, only the muscles that suggested they were of stone and his ash skin appearing to crack with each step: Kaslhan the Gargoyle. Symon could feel the slow descent of Kaslhan, and with what strength he could, he pushed himself to his knees. Blood trickling from the knight’s mouth as he gripped the gushing wound.
“Look at your champion, Issobella.” Kaslhan thought, Issobella cried. Her spirit floating, yet chained to Kaslhan’s side. “Did you honestly believe your armies, your knights, could stand against me? Laughable...I will break him.” Tears streamed down Issobella’s cheek. She hated the immense amount of blood shed and suffering Kaslhan had caused.
A calm, yet shaking voice found its way out of Issobella’s throat. “Let him be.”
“No,” Kaslhan whispered. Heftily, Kaslhan swung his blade. Symon flew. Blood painted the walls.
“Symon! Stop this, Kaslhan!” Issobella wailed. Her eyes clenched shut as hot tears streamed her face.
“Do not close your eyes,” Kaslhan commanded with a dark and fierce tone. “You will watch as he bleeds and bear witness to his fading breath.” Symon lay motionless as his blood spilled forth, staining the tiles. Issobella looked on in disbelief. Helplessness washed over her mind. “How familiar this must look to you. Watching as yet another dies for you.”
This war had stolen so many lives. All because of this tyrant and his greed for power. Issobella felt something inside of her snap. “I will kill you.” The words were soft, yet they made Kaslhan show his first smile.
“We are bound, Issobella.” Kaslhan sneered. “That was why the ritual. Your life, your magic, your very soul are now bound to me. If you kill me; you die also.”
Issobella whispered again. “I will kill you.” The smirk fell from Kaslhan’s lips. His horrifying reveal did not have the reaction he was hoping for.
“Is-Issobell-a…” Symon struggled to stand, his sword reduced to a crutch. “W-wait for me. I won’t die until I’ve set you free.” Slowly, Symon marched toward Kaslhan. Unfazed by the delusions of a dying warrior, Kaslhan stepped forward and brought his blade up for the final swing. However, slight panic filled Kaslhan for an instant as his arm froze above his head.
“What have you done, Issobella?” Kaslhan asked through gritted teeth.
“We are bound together,” though a tear streamed down her cheeks, Issobella was fully composed. Her wrath gave her new strength. “Therefore, I command you to halt.”
“Wha-?!” Kaslhan felt his body disobeying his orders to move. “If I die, you die!” Pain coursed through his being as the cold metal of Symon’s sword ripped through his flesh.
“I no longer care what happens to me. I shall rid my kingdom of you.” The sword lodged in Kaslhan’s stomach; blood trickling forth. Symon fell unconscious upon the floor. Kaslhan’s legs failed him as he fell next to the knight.
“If I cannot take your kingdom, I shall settle for stealing its queen and hero.” Blood gurgled from Kaslhan’s throat as he laughed. “I shall be remembered forever. It shall be written in your books as the bloodiest era.”
“No,” Issobella replied coolly. “Sir Symon shall live on, but for you, not even your name shall be uttered. You shall be lost to the ages as his story carries on.”
Sign up to rate and review this story