Categories > Anime/Manga > Saiyuki

[Songfic] Love at First Sight

by Topaz_Kat 1 review

Sano reflects on meeting Goku for the first time. Uses lyrics by folk singer Mark Rust.

Category: Saiyuki - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Characters: Genjyo Sanzo, Son Goku - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-08-27 - Updated: 2006-08-28 - 743 words - Complete

1Original
Title: [Song Fic] Love at First Sight
Author: Topaz Kat
Song used: Love at First Sight by Mark Rust
Rating: G (maybe PG for remember violence?)
Dedication: Happy Birthday April-chan!

[Looking for love, it's the hardest to find
Maybe it's true what they say]

I had never really known love. At least not in they way that one feels towards a spouse or a lover. Nor hai I any care too. Mydisdain for the people around me, and theirs for myself, drove me away from ever hoping for that kind of warmth. Which suits me just fine as it is one of the only aspects of Buddhism that I retain. I felt no need to seek out such worldly comforts, and those who would suggest other wise can just kiss my ass.

[But you were last thing I had in mind
Then there you were just the same]

The noise had been driving me crazy. A constant tug on my mind. I swore to myself that I would kill the little upstart who was screaming for my attention. And yet, when I found you, locked in that cave, chained to the wall and looking both frightened and distrustful, I simply couldn't bring myself to do you harm.

[When our eyes met, I'll never forget
The feeling we both knew was right]

Large, fearful pale gold eyes looked up at me, scared and needy; afraid to behold anyone else. I couldn't stand it, for while I desired to be feared rather than loved, the pain in your eyes tore at the heart I had tried so hard to forget was in my chest. I had no wish to see further pain befall you.

[Maybe for you the feeling grew
But for me it was love at first sight]

A touch from my hand freed you, and you stared at me with such awe and out-and-out devotion. I knew then that I had gained a pet, a wild, fearful baby monkey. It was very trying to see such devotion and worship when all I wanted was something quite different. Over time, I slowly stopped being your savior, though I've saved your stupid neck on several occassions since. However, I've only now just noticed that you will look at me the way my heart looks at you.

[Well you've drifted your way, I've drifted mine
Miles and hours since that day]

Our treck west is a killer. If it weren't for that other baka and Hakkai though, we'd never get ther in time. The jeep is small, though I don't blaim Hakkuryu for that. At any rate you always seem too close, for there is little room to stretch. The only time there is any space between us is when we fight, exercising frustration.

Things feel so distant then though. I am often set on the side to watch as you three dispose of the garbage. At times, it amuses me, as if I were an over lord with dangerous underlings, and we are certainly feared all over. Yet there are times when you fight, when you've distanced yourself to a place few can follow, and it hurts almost to bring you back from your freedom. During those times, my hands can hold you very little, and I am near powerless to stop you and calm you from the terror that only you can see.

[But whenever I see you, I know in my heart
Still mostly feels just the same]

Again, you were nearly lost to me, baka! Pulling you back was much harder this time, and I fear that in your terrifying freedom, you gain more ground each time. You rested in my arms, so relieved to be back under you own control, and yet your eyes belied your fears, recalling memories that even you don't know the origins of.

[When our eyes met, I'll never forget
The feeling we both knew was right]

When they are open again, your eyes are a bright glitter. The first words are typical and I have my normal reaction; but the common request makes my heart lighter, knowing that you are back and safe. You give me a goofy smile, knowing that I'm not really angry with you. And in your eyes is that shadows of the worship you first felt. But now, there is the brighter glint of love and care.

[Maybe for you, the feeling grew
But for me it was love at first sight.]
Sign up to rate and review this story