Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Ghost of a Rose

Whispering of Leaves

by FenikkusuAi 0 reviews

Kabuto approaches Misaki.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Published: 2016-09-04 - 842 words

0Unrated
"Well, then. Long time, no see. Surprised to see me, Misaki?"

Misaki stammered a bit. Not so uncommon a reaction with a blade pointed at one's throat.

Misaki was very surprised yet not so surprised that he had not let go of her yet.

"Forgive me for this." Kabuto gestured to the kunai. "Just don't call attention to us. Deal?"

Roughly, he shoved her aside. Suddenly, she could breath again.

"Is the village all you dreamed it would be?" Kabuto literally purred. "Don't hold back now."

Misaki wondered just exactly what Kabuto wanted to hear.

"It's very...nice."

"But, it's not as nice as Orochimaru-sama's village, is it?"

He was baiting her and trapping her. But, she had questions of her own.

"Why are you here? Are you here to take me back?

Kabuto shook his head. "No, nothing of the sort. I'm just here to check on you."

Was that really it? Misaki was aware that Orochimaru's medic didn't always tell the truth.

"You're really beginning to look like a kunoichi." Kabuto assessed her from the top of her head to the tips of her toes. "Already, you seem more confident too. Orochimaru-sama will be amused to see that."

Did he hunger for her still? How she sometimes hungered for the delicate sweetness of a berry?

If she were was bolder, she would ask him. However, it was not not the time nor the place.

"So, how do you find Morino Ibiki, Konoha's top interrogator?"

The question was launched out of nowhere at her. She teetered; unsure of how to respond.

"He's nice. He's been training me."

Like I'm his own daughter.

Still, Misaki kept this detail to herself. It was the best thing to do around Kabuto. But, apparently, she had already said too much.

"Nice?" Kabuto scoffed. "Your uncle could make a grown man cry. If only you knew the things he's done to other people. Even while practicing under the Hokage's order, Ibiki enjoys causing pain. He's just another monster. By the way, did you learn any new information?"

Misaki frowned. Was there a point to Kabuto's words? Then, she remembered Kabuto was asking her something.

"No. I haven't learned anything.

Kabuto's face filled with fake sympathy. "Oh, but Misaki the grace period is nearly over. Now, it's time to work. Wouldn't you agree?"

Misaki swallowed. In the distance, she watched the sun sunk into the horizon, and her heart descended with it. They were giving her an ultimatum. As always, the Sound had been watching. Had she ever really been alone? Or happy?

"You need to be bolder. Follow him around. Ask him questions. Make yourself useful."

"Won't he catch on?" Misaki heard herself say.

Kabuto cocked his head. "Are you not Ibiki's own niece? Earn the trust of the Hidden Leaf. Don't be a mere follower. Be proactive. Orochimaru-sama thinks that you've grown a bit lazy. I admit, it will take time. Anything else would make others suspicious. However, I'm sure you'll manage. We have faith in you."

Suddenly, there was a tickling sensation at her neck and Misake slapped at the mosquito that had landed there in the hopes of nourishment. Like the mosquito, Kabuto sucked away her life and hope. Yet, instead of blood, it was her spirit.

"You need to find some direction, Misaki. Don't slip too far behind."

Misaki relaxed when she realized that Kabuto was preparing to leave.

"We'll meet again soon. How about...Friday night? Same time, same place."

Misaki nodded. It was all she could do.

That was four days away. Anything could happen in four days.

"Well. Until we meet again."

Misaki fliched when his hand reached out only to ever so slightly brush her cheek.

"Later."

She silently watched as he jumped into the trees until there was only a faint whispering of leaves.

The walk home was sober. All the way, she kept absently rubbing her cheek.

This village wasn't who she was. It would never be who she was...

As Misaki neared her apartment, it was Sakura that approached her to her surprise.

"There you are! Where were you? It's late."

Misaki clasped her hands together. Nervousness shuddered through her. She felt...dirty. Deceitful.

If only you knew.

"I was...out taking a walk." The words were uncomfortable to pronounce. They were not what she wished to say.

Would a spy all she ever be now? Though she was free in movements, she wasn't free on will. It depressed her.

"Good." Sakura nodded. "Anyway, we must really work on your ninjutsu. I don't know if I have anything to teach you though yet, Misaki. I specialize in medical ninjutsu."

Sakura was a medic? Like Kabuto? At least there were some genuinely nice medical nins.

"Tsunade-sama tells me that you could be accepted at the Konoha Ninja Academy as early as next week. That's good news, Misaki. You're on your way to being a full citizen of Konohagakure."

Misaki supposed that she was supposed to celebrate, yet somehow, it made her feel worse.

Sakura...Ibiki...

Kabuto.
Sign up to rate and review this story