Categories > Original > Drama > Little Red Lies

Memoirs of a Madman

by Athiesism 0 reviews

Cadence Blake is all grown up, with a steady job and games to be played... The final moments of Cadence Blake.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Horror - Published: 2016-09-19 - 1407 words

0Unrated
Cadence relished in the fact that he has been playing his game without being caught for the past five years. He was invincible, no one in the country can touch him. Being the most wanted man in America was an excellent achievement and it was through hard work and diligence that he had earned such a stupendous title! The predatory grin made an easy appearance onto Cadence’s mouth as he scanned the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s lobby, “Good morning Sharyl, a marvellous day to put criminals behind bars isn’t it?” he asked with a cheery voice that made smiles infectious and Sharyl the receptionist gave a shy giggle and nodded, a blush painted on her cheeks. Cadence was very familiar with the ladies wherever he went. With a satisfied glint in his eyes he leisurely strolled up to the homicide department and saw his stage name one the bulletin, “ The Gamemaker”, with no picture and sometimes Cadence wanted to put his up there but then his game wouldn’t be fun anymore.
“Agent Blake, Big D is lookin’ for ‘ya, says it’s mighty important.” said the transfer from Texas in his heavy southern twang. Cadence gave a two fingered salute and walked through the busy department and saw ‘Big D’ or as everyone (other than the Texan transfer), calls him Director Decker.
“You paged Chief?” Cadence casually said to Director Decker who was a man with his black speckled with gray hair slicked back and small wrinkles around hardened brown eyes.
“Yes Blake, I’ve decided since your coworkers are becoming increasingly incompetent that you’re going to be the head of catching The Gamemaker… Or are you not up to the task?” Cadence held in his giddy giggle and mentally danced around the Director’s office. What a perfect play! The Director just gave Cadence the best move in their game, he was finally in charge of hunting himself! It was a blissful irony that will not go under-appreciated.
“Sir with all due respect, I’m surprised I wasn’t made the head of this case from the get-go, I’ve got the best track record in this department.” Cadence said masking his smugness with mock surprise. The Director barked out a sharp laugh and gave a dismissive wave of his hand.
“Yes well sometimes you gotta put faith in the sucky ones. You never know what capabilities they have. Secret talents. Am I right?” Cadence choked back his alarm and gave a out a half-hearted laugh,
“Yeah… you never know.” he replied casually with a glint in his eyes that gave the impression that he knew something he wasn’t going to share. Director Decker nodded and plopped a rather large file in between them and gestured to Cadence to pick it up.
“ It’s all we got on the Gamemaker’s file, that's your debriefing and your partners info. You live by it. It is your holy grail”. With a swift nod Cadence swept up the file and retreated to his crawlspace of an office to pretend to read his folder and in reality staple smiley faces on his wall. The day was passing extremely slow for Cadence’s liking, giving a grunt as he pulled himself out of his chair and stalked towards the basement, where they kept the archives. Whistling a random tune he pulled open the chain link door to the archives and walked through the dusty unkempt aisles until he stopped at the ‘G’ section and his boxes of evidence. Taking one of the boxes he dropped it onto the cool aluminum table opened the musty box, searching for pictures of the crime scenes.
Finally finding what he desired he took out the first picture, his first ever murder, the one of his mother’s fiance who decided it was fun to paint Cadence and his mother black and blue with his fists. Next was Torrey Tripp, who appeared to be a cheery English teacher who liked to take tennis to a whole new level. One that over exaggerated the phrase “No pain, No gain”. Then it was Detective Austin, who lead the case on Richard Greene, Cadence’s first game. “Blake? You down there? I need to tell you something ‘bout the case.” Cadence gave a loud hum to let Director Decker know that he was down there and quickly cleaned up the table, turning out of the corner of his eye he saw the barrel of sturdy rope and felt his mind and body thrum with the excitement of playing another game. Cadence felt the smirk playing on his lips and went into the dark aisles as he heard the Director let out a loose string of curses.
“Blake where the hell you at? Get your head out of that dust infested aisle and show yourself unless you wanna get suspended from the case” Decker threatened and Cadence swiftly climbed up on top of the shelf bending his knees into a predatory crouch, eyes glinting in the dimly lit room with excitement. After another couple minutes passed he heard the Director’s footsteps become a cautious scuffle.
“Blake, get, get out of the dark. This isn’t a joke! You know what I could do to your career? Stop. Stop playing this little prank of yours it isn’t funny” but it was oh-so funny to Cadence! Hearing the Director’s labored breathing as he gets scared and soon it escalates into something far worse than one’s rational fears. Where it gets to the point that everything seems to be out to get you. Cadence wanted to laugh and shriek in giddiness, to tease Decker like no other would dare. After some time passed and the director was just underneath Cadence he jumped down, fist flying towards the Director’s face, instantly knocking the guy out. There wasn’t even enough time for him to register his fear.
Getting the Director tied up was a vexing task, it felt as if the man ate fifty cheeseburgers before he came down to the archives. With a grunt or two the task was finally complete, now all Cadence had to do is wait for him to wake up in his cocoon of rope. As the Director regained consciousness a little giggle of excitement passed through Cadance. “Welcome! I would like to personally introduce myself! I am Cadance Blake, otherwise known as The GameMaker. How lovely it is to meet your acquaintance, just before your death!” Cadence said happily and enjoyed how the Director’s face instantaneously paled, it wasn’t everyday you meet your killer now was it? “B-Blake? Don’t do this…. I’ve,-I’ve got a family. Please don’t let my little girl grow up without her father..” the Director begged and Cadence waved his hand in a submissive manner. Cadance didn’t grow up with his father, now that little girl wouldn’t either.
Cadance waved the knife he had taken from the evidence locker menacingly and let out a chortle of happiness. Now this was where he excelled! The Director’s eyes widened as he began muttering “God save me” over and over again while Cadence walked towards him as if her were a lion about to strike the final blow to a gazell. As the knife was raised Cadence slowly spoke as if he were speaking to a preschooler, “Now Decker I’m sorry I have to do this, it’s just- I can’t lead a manhunt against myself can I? No. I can’t soo once I’m the new Director Decker, I can easily play the best of both worlds!”
As the knife glistened there was loud bang behind Cadence and the knife in Cadence’s hand faltered, then it fell to the floor with the screech of metal meeting concrete. Looking down he saw the growing red on his pressed white button up shirt and he fell to the floor.
Cadence Andrew Blake was dead, the Gamemaker had gotten played at his own game. Director Decker let out a breath of air that he didn’t know he had taken then fell to the floor and choked back a sob once he was freed from his bindings. Director Decker swore, he swore on his life and everything he was that he would free the world from people the likes of Cadence Blake.
The End
Sign up to rate and review this story