Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Ghost of a Rose

Bittersweet

by FenikkusuAi 0 reviews

Misaki shares popsicles with Naruto; Kabuto's request is denied.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Orochimaru - Published: 2016-09-21 - 1560 words

0Unrated
Misaki decided that he was different from the others. He was like the sun. It was as if that if only for a moment he could shine a light in the darkness of her being and bring her hope once again. His presence was radiant and Misaki basked in the warm glow . Misaki could only before luxuriate a moment it was one again consumed by the perpetual dark that flooded through her. She was a perpetual petal floating on the unknown current in her uncharted psyche.

But, logically, she still didn't know anything about him. Except that he was generous.

"Here you go!" he exclaimed brightly. "It's yours."

Naruto handed it to her with a grin, and Misaki took it with searching fingers. He was...kind. Everyone here was so kind. In truth, Misaki didn't know how to respond to it.

Still, all good things came to an end eventually.

"Thank you," she replied softly.

Misaki inspected her offering. She noticed the popsicle was as blue as the sky, and it was as if she held a piece of it on a wooden stick. It was almost too pretty to eat.

"You know, there is someone I always used to share these with." Naruto bit into a corner and stared ahead wistfully lost in thought

Someone other than her. Misaki could understand that. She hadn't been in the village that long after all, but it stung to reminded of that fact.

"Oh," she mused. "Who?"

Naruto suddenly grew animated. "His name is Jiraya, and he's one of the legendary ninjas, the Sannin! He's so strong wise, but he's a huge pervert. He and Tsunade-sama were both Sannin together. Tsunade-sama and..."

Naruto's gaze grew dark. He seemed loathe to say anything more.

"Tsunade-sama...and...and-and Orochimaru." Naruto tripped over his words

The pale man?!

"Who?" Misakai gasped at the familiar name.

"Orochimaru," Naruto repeated. "He's a bad guy because he took my best friend Sasuke from the village. I can never forgive him for that." Naruto formed a fist with his free hand. "When I see him again, he's going to pay."

Misaki had a flash of the sullen youth then. His creamy pale jasmine skin, wild hair, and burning red eyes. So. Sasuke had been Naruto's friend. The Village Hidden in the Leaves had been his home as well the pale man's. It seemed that Misaki did indeed have something in common with them after all. It was as if all roads went to Konoha, and she had been ignorant of this place for all these years.

At times, Misaki wondered if she had been taken too, but her memory was unforgiving. It would have been simple. Like ripping like a wildflower out of the earth and planting it in a pot. Yet, she had no proof. Instead she still was a stray directionless seed that had entered a strange pot.

Just then, a drop of popsicle trickled down her arm diverting her train of thought. Misaki ignored it. Too much too much was happening right now. The answers that she had always wanted to know were being revealed mere inches from her ear.

Misaki wanted to tell Naruto that she had last seen Sasuke alive and well, but the truth died on her lips. She couldn't reveal that without revealing that she technically worked for Orochimaru. Misaki wondered if life would always be this complicated.

Naruto would hate her then. They all would. And Justice would be served. Misaki could almost hear Kabuto's mocking laughter.

You work for the Sound...

...got that?

Kabuto's words were right, but Misaki knew that she had no choice in the matter. Being a spy was the price for knowing her family or else she would be eating day old rice slop on her cot in her windowless cell. She never would have met Ibiki or Naruto.

It was then Misaki comprehended the term "bittersweet." Life was so good and, it would never would be hers.

Misaki hid her anxiety with a lick of the popsicle and the treat's sweetness turned her stomach.

"Naruto! There you are!" a familiar voice rode the wind.

Misaki to see Sakura waving at them, She continued to suck on the popsicle felt every bit like a five-year old. Things happened around her, but she couldn't react to them properly. Had being in Otogakure blunted her senses? Or had she always been this way?

She knew that she never properly got the story of what had happened to her. Perhaps she never would.

Slowly, it occurred to her to wave back.

Misaki felt another flush of warmth. For a fleeting second, what it was like to to have friends.

Naruto almost pouted. "Aw, Sakura you're here. And were out a popsicles..."

Misaki sucked on hers guiltily.

"It's okay, Sakura laughed "Next time, right? Misaki's never had one before, I bet."

Misaki knew that she didn't deserve either one of them fussing over her.

Just then, Misaki felt a presence casually observing them with the experienced observation of a predator. Maybe that of a wise owl.

She turned and confirmed her suspicion. Ibiki stood there with his hands in his pockets just watching them while framed in the doorway of Konoha's T & I. A formidable sentry.

As she watched him watch her, Misaki wondered where she truly belonged, the shadows of the light.

Then again, plants could grow everywhere and bloom at any hour. Misaki wondered if she bloomed at night and if the sun's warmth and happiness purposefully avoided her. It would explain so much.

She wondered what Ibiki and Orochimaru would say. Perhaps their voices would meld into one and both purposefully drag her into the blackness. After all, both men belonged to the dark.

Would Misaki ever be able to choose for herself?



---



"Who?" Orochimaru's inquiry sparked to life like a candle.

Kabuto paced a bit. "Madara. He also called himself Tobi."

"Tobi of the Akatsuki." Orochimaru carefully tasted the words and only he could decipher their flavor. "No doubt he calls himself other names as well. Put him out of your mind. Oh, I know how prone you are to anxiety."

Of course, Kabuto didn't mention how majestic the Shinobi had been or how masterful his techniques were. Tobi's act had fooled even Kabuto. Naturally, the masked Shinobi didn't dwarf the man sitting in front of him. Collecting himself, Kabuto continued giving his report

"He also mentioned the girl and that he'll watching the village. Watching us."

Orochimaru shifted his position in his seat and bared his fangs into a smile.

"So, we'll give him a show. The village is not the Akatsuki's, Kabuto-kun, it is mine."

Technically, at the moment, it was Tsunade's, but Kabuto knew that his lord wouldn't appreciate the observation. If Orochimaru was rankled, he didn't show it. Kabuto had to wonder about how calm he was. Was it the gentle breeze before the thunderstorm?

"What about Misaki-chan's safety?" Kabuto dared to inquire.

"What about it?" Orochimaru challenged him.

"Would you care if she died? Due to the Akatsuki?"

Kabuto was subtly testing him; he wondered if Orochimaru was aware of it.

A look of genuine emotion flitted across the white serpent's face before it abruptly died. His lord would deny that it had ever existed.

"I've become fond of her. She's easy to manage and does what I ask. Also, she doesn't complain," Orochimaru answered smoothly. "What more could I ask for in a spy?"

Kabuto had a difference of opinion on that. If only Orochimaru could see for himself how Misaki was cavorting in the Leaf.

Misaki had caused the problem. Even with Tobi. It was transparent to his eyes if it wasn't to Orochimaru-sama's.

Kabuto wanted to hiss in annoyance that he just couldn't prune the weed of a wench. No matter how much she proved her incompetence, she was still honored. H hated that was grace and luck

Kabuto knew that he could only make one more suggestion before he tried his lord's patience.

"Then, perhaps we should we bring her back to the Otogakure and bring her out of possible harm's way."

Orochimaru visibly weighed his words. Kabuto could only hope that he would agree, so that she would be under his watch again. Misaki's vacation would finally end.

Kabuto would do it. Tonight. It would be easy to track where she slept. What a welcome surprise he would be.

Would she try to hide under the blanket and pretend he didn't exist? Except that he would prove that he did indeed exist. With the tip of his kunai. Kabuto idly wondered what she slept in.

Thoughtfully, Orochimaru sipped from his tea cup. Kabuto noticed that the night air was beginning to turn cold. He worried for his lord's health, but then, that was what the Uchiha boy was for.

Orochimaru swallowed. "No, let her stay. We'll take a gamble. It would be too suspicious if she leaves now that she's enrolled at the academy."

The Leaf will do its best to protect her. You wont have to do a thing, dear Kabuto."

Well, in any event, winter would be a hard time for flowers. All Kabuto do was wait and see how long her luck would last...

He hoped that she was familiar with the phrase that all good things came to an end eventually.
Sign up to rate and review this story