Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Curious Case of Luna Lovegood

The Individual

by Marvolo666 0 reviews

"I think this year at Hogwarts is going to be most interesting."

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Humor,Romance - Characters: Ginny,Harry,Hermione,Luna,Ron - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2016-10-31 - 1337 words - Complete

1Moving
Harry couldn't wait to tell Ron and Hermione the news. As soon as Flitwick and McGonagall left he ran up the crooked stairs as fast as he could.
Their meeting had continued for hours as McGonagall told him everything he needed to know. The day had long turned to night and Harry was just relieved when they finally left.
He was about to open the door to Ron's room before he stopped and thought better of it. A light bulb went off in his head and he put his wand to his throat, knocking on the door as his voice changed into the Weasley Matriarch's.
"RONALD WEASLEY! IF YOU ARE DOING WHAT I THINK YOU ARE, I SWEAR TO MERLIN, I WILL CASTRATE YOU!"
Harry waited 3 seconds before opening the door to a very startled (if not very pale) Ron and Hermione. Noticing who it was Harry caused Ron to burst out laughing as he punched Harry in the arm. Hermione just gave him a scowl but couldn't hide the smile creeping from her lips.
"Never do that again. You gave me a bloody heart attack," Ron gasped trying to get his breath back.
"Well I'm not just going to barge in," Harry joked. "Who knows what goes on in here while I'm gone?"
"You're both impossible." Hermione scolded causing Harry's face to turn into a playful smirk. "In that case I won't tell you guys the big news," he said as he turned to the door, knowing he wouldn't make it out of the room.
"News? What is it? I'm sorry Harry. Please tell me!" Hermione said way too fast causing Ron to chuckle.
"I've decided to join you guys at Hogwarts after all." Harry said taking out the document McGonagall had him sign. Hermione snatched it from him and read it out loud.
"By signing this magical document, you are accepting the position of Hogwarts DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS TEACHER!" Hermione practically shouted the last part in excitement.
"You're kidding" Ron gasped in amazement "That's bloody awesome."
"Harry I'm so proud of you," Hermione yelled hugging Harry.
"This is great!" Ron said "You can give me good grades and I don't have to study...I'm joking Hermione only joking." Harry laughed questioning if Ron was really joking. Suddenly Ginny burst into the room with a bemused expression on her face.
"Luna is here to see Harry about something. She...she's on the roof of the house," Ginny said rolling her eyes.
"Why does Luna want to see Harry?" Ron asked. "Does this have to do with you being a teacher now and Luna being a loony...OW! why'd you kick me Hermione?"
"You still going to call her a Loony! After everything we've been through together," Hermione scolded.
"Don't be like that, Luna's a great friend…but she's still loony…OW! STOP THAT!"
Harry left Ron and Hermione to their bickering. Ever since they had become a couple they had been fighting even more than they did before. Harry was worried at first but began to realize that fighting was just what they liked to do, whether they knew it or not. It made sense in a way. Ron grew up with 5 other brothers and a sister. While Hermione always had a need to be proven right.
Harry apparated to the roof of the Burrow and nearly fell off right away. It was incredibly slanted and jagged. Once he regained his balance he looked up and saw her...
Luna Lovegood was sitting on the edge of the chimney staring up at the sky. She was swaying with her typical dreamy look on her face. "You should sit up here Harry. The roof is slanted, you could break your neck." Luna hummed not taking her eyes off the sky. Harry apparated up to the chimney sitting beside her. He was suddenly aware that she was dangerously close to swaying too hard and falling into the chimney.
"Hi Luna," Harry greeted "I didn't know you could apparate."
"I can but I choose not to as it is very uncomfortable. I climbed up here," Luna looked down from the sky for the first time. "I meant to talk to you about something, but, I saw the moon, and I always liked to see the moon."
"What did you want to talk to me about Luna?" Harry was now a holding a hand out ready to catch her should she fall into the chimney.
"Mr. Flitwick told me you were going to be my new tutor. I wanted to thank you. People tend to avoid me but Flitwick said you didn't even hesitate. Why did you accept?" Luna murmured looking back at the moon.
"You're my friend Luna and I always want to help my friends," Harry said seriously. "I remember how you helped me through my grieving of Sirius. I was in a really bad place and you helped me through it. You helped me through a lot of tough times. I will never forget that Luna."
"You were the only person to ever help me find my stuff whenever Nargles hid them. That took time and effort. I just said a couple of words." Luna then looked at Harry for the first time.
"You really want to be my friend? You must be a strange person to want to be my friend. No one really wants to be my friend. Most people try and avoid me. Even people from the D.A. They say I make them uncomfortable. You say that I do the opposite. That I comfort you in hard times. I guess that makes you strange but being who you are I suppose you ought to be." Luna sighed to the moon.
"We are both individuals you know." Luna said her voice sounded the slightest bit more focused than before.
"What do you mean?" Harry asked curiously.
"I'm different. I get told that every day. You're different. You're told that every day." Luna sung in a weird melody that didn't seem connected. "To be different makes you an individual. It can be very liberating but it can also be quite lonely. My Mother once told me."
"The individual stands alone, be proud to be an individual but be prepared to be alone." Luna quoted.
"I'm sorry" Harry said. He had never realized how hard it was to be Luna.
"It's ok you helped me too Harry. You taught me that Individuals like ourselves should stand together." Luna spoke and for a moment Harry though he saw a faint smile on her face.
Luna then flung herself backwards into the chimney. Only Harry's already outstretched arm prevented her from falling in. Harry helped her up with a shocked expression on his face but before he could say anything to her, Luna continued.
"It's always nice to know someone is there to catch you if you fall," Luna hummed. "Even if they don't need it."
Harry should've seen it coming. Luna threw herself back into the chimney and this time Harry didn't catch her. Like she said it did not matter for her legs where now holding her to the chimney. Luna then started to whistle a melody into the echoing darkness.
"Great reverb down here Harry," Luna whistled as Harry again helped her up.
He was seeing Luna in a new light after the information he had been told by Flitwick. Luna had always seemed weird but content and happy but now he saw something more. He saw a girl who in some shape or form needed help. Not because of her eccentricities but in a way far deeper. He didn't know what it was or how, yet he was going to help make Luna happy.
"We should stick together because we are friends. That is the only reason that matters." Harry said taking her hand.
Luna nodded looking back up at the moon. "I think this year at Hogwarts is going to be most interesting."
Neither of them knew just how right she was.
Sign up to rate and review this story