Categories > Games > Ecco the Dolphin > Pods and Ends

Perfect Balance and Dark Future

by sparky_lurkdragon 0 reviews

Two drabbles about the Earth's future.

Category: Ecco the Dolphin - Rating: G - Genres: Sci-fi - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2006-09-02 - Updated: 2006-09-02 - 259 words

0Unrated
Author's note: A couple of related drabbles this time, both rated G. Some spoilers for /Ecco: The Tides of Time/. The prompts are numbers 73 and 74, Light and Dark.
Disclaimer: Ecco and his world belong to Appaloosa Interactive.
--------------------
Title: Perfect Balance
Summary: A drabble about the Earth's rightful future.
----------
Life on Earth is in perfect balance.

The ocean itself is alive, given consciousness by its oldest inhabitant, the Asterite, and the ocean gives the Asterite a body beyond its globes. In the Living Sea, creatures live and die as they always have, and Singers leap and play as they always have, some jumping into the Dry Side and staying there, swimming through the great sea of the sky, and their cousin Singers follow them through the water tubes, the Skyway. With each passing generation, the Singers seek to swim ever higher, yearning to explore beyond their little water planet.
--------------------
Title: Dark Future
Summary: A drabble about the Earth's dark future.
----------
Life on Earth serves the needs of the Vortex.

The hive, so small a million Queens ago, wraps around all the seas of the planet, and to some extent it rises above them, too. All of the planet's sapient creatures, beings who might have risen against the Vortex, were killed and eaten long ago, both the creatures of water and the creatures of land. The Earth is not dead yet, but every passing Queen and drone generation brings it closer; the Vortex still activate their beam often, feeding on livelier worlds. The Earth is dying, but the Vortex still thrive.
Sign up to rate and review this story