Categories > Comics > Calvin and Hobbes

Monetizing Right With Native Advertising

by BryanNixon1 0 reviews

Even Apple is hopping on the native train with sponsored content in its News program feed and the naysayers declare it's too late to turn back.

Category: Calvin and Hobbes - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2017-02-09 - 785 words

0Unrated
Even Apple is hopping on the native train with sponsored content in its News program feed and the naysayers declare it's too late to turn back.

Believe it or not, you do not need to sell your creative soul to the corporate demons to make native marketing work for you.

What is native?

There is a surprisingly big spectrum of definitions for the term, but we'll skip that argument. The most basic definition is: paid content that matches a publication's editorial standards while satisfying the crowd's expectations.

Long before native advertising there was "product placement. Here's an example: Run DMC were rapping about their Adidas.

Technological innovation expanded the capabilities of product placement to computers and cellular devices but the primary principles stay the same.

Is native promotion worth the risk and investment?

The reply to that question depends largely on your own percent of site visitors using ad blockers, and the performance of screen ads and other monetization sources (like affiliates).

The best way to print native advertising effectively

We have accumulated tips and suggestions to enable you to assess your native advertisements choices and do it without glitches.

1. Balancing the Combination

The most common guidance (and the most apparent one) you'll get about native advertisements is to locate the correct equilibrium of native advertisements to "actual content." Too much native marketing is bound to disturb your users and distance your advertisers.

2. Keep the feed clean

Among the native promotion advertisement units that has been popular for quite a few years is the in-feed advertisement. These basically use in-stream real estate to exhibit ads that look like the "regular" content one would expect to find there.

Our recommendation? Avoid in-feed advertisements. And if you can not help it, quantify and assess carefully.

3. Mobile Mobile Cellular Telephone

Native advertising are starting to find their niche with marketing execs. And campaign supervisors as a format that supports and fosters display ad sales, which makes them into an excellent one-two punch. Especially on mobile devices. We'll get more detailed in the next segment.

Unlike the background where we multitask and have multiple tabs and applications open, the miniature mobile display can only contain so much content. So native mobile advertisements catch all the attention when shown and drive consumers farther down advertising funnels.

4. Keep it fun, close, and private

As it pertains to advertorials and product placement, you want as much control as possible over the content. Sure, you can let the brand content people write the text or create the video. But how much will that content fit with your publication "voice" and perception? How much is this control worth to you?

5. Analytics & Segmentation

For marketers, one of the principal challenges of native marketing is measuring results. They like numbers just as much as we publishers do, perhaps more.

6. Do not be a cheater: Sticking to FTC guidelines

We've already confirmed that native ads attract more clicks than display advertising. But the problem starts when folks do not know they're clicking an advertisement, or can't tell an advertisement from editorial content at all. This isn't only frustrating to users, but also deceptive and somewhat illegal.

The TL;DR variation is fundamentally do not be an a**hole. Mark sponsored content as such, provide complete disclosure and honor your audience.

7. Content Recommendation Networks

One of many primary challenges in getting started with native advertising is pricing it right. With sponsored content, it is challenging to put CPC or CPM in price quotes and most advertisers anticipate a set rate.

In many cases, it's wise to package native advertisements with display ads, exclusive promotions and other tools, according to the marketer's needs. Remember not to underprice your native advertisement-space. With display advertising the content copy and creation are in the hands of the advertisers.

8. Native with a soul

Don't sell your soul to native. Develop partnerships with brands and agencies that reflect your publications perspectives and your audience's interests. If you've a site about make-up, having an advertorial by a funeral home isn't worth any type of cash they'd be willing to offer.

Going Native

There's still a lot missing in the native advertisements puzzle to make it a perfect picture. Although users usually prefer it to display advertising, it is still a hard sell with brand marketing execs. They would like to see quantifiable results, and in many cases native advertising does not deliver.

As native advertisements evolves, it begins to unite with technologies like RTB (real time bidding) and programmatic purchasing of native ad space. With better targeting and segmentation, in addition to analytics and reporting tools for all - native promotion will become the standard, and a must have component in the marketer's sales funnel.
Sign up to rate and review this story