Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Curious Case of Luna Lovegood

A Friendly Discussion

by Marvolo666 0 reviews

repuired

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor - Characters: Draco,Flitwick,Harry,Hermione,Luna - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2017-02-14 - 2937 words - Complete

0Unrated
"Hello Miss Stone, how did the mission go?" Amelia greeted her friend as she entered the Ministry.
"It could have gone better, Amelia," Sarah replied. "I tried to tell the boss that antagonizing the squib was a bad idea. I was right, it got me bloody fired from my cover station. I couldn't even be there to save the squib!"
"She is alive right?" Amelia asked as they made their way to the department they worked in.
"No thanks to her, you know that I spat in her pudding. The bimbo saw me and still ate it! Some pig nose girl finished it off and turned purple faster than my last potions final," Sarah snorted. "Remind me again why we are protecting the squib?"
"She might not be popular, but if she is murdered the Ministry will take the blame. Besides, she is a researcher's dream subject. We need her here so we can test our experiment we've been working on."
"Experiments? She's a human being not a rodent," Sarah gasped.
"She's a squib, what's the difference?" Amelia squealed with laughter. "It's just unfortunate we lost our top Hogwarts spy."
"Keep it down, if anyone heard us our unbreakable vows will...break," Stones scolded.
The two witches entered the Department of Mysteries where security was waiting for them. Amelia heard the all too familiar sound of screams piercing through the dark halls ahead of them.
The security wizard started testing Amelia to confirm her identity while Sarah turned pale. Amelia noticed, "You alright there Sarah?"
Stones nodded, "Sorry I just wasn't expecting the screams."
Amelia scoffed, "Not expecting the screams? What's wrong with you?"
Sarah close her eyes and took a deep breath. "I'm sorry, I just haven't been myself lately. Stupefy!"
The two Unspeakables fell to the ground while Sarah ran through the Department of Mysteries. She tried to ignore the screams and sirens as she entered the Room of Files.
She couldn't believe what she saw. Books as far as her eyes could see, full of illegal information on every Witch and Wizard in existence. To her disgust she saw the books organized into four sections, Pure Bloods, Half Bloods, Muggleborns and Squibs. She lifted her wand to where she knew the wards would be and uttered the password "Silence."
After the ward died Sarah ran through the pure blood section before reaching the L. After thirty minutes of searching she finally found it, Pandora Lovegood's files.
"Intruder Security has been breached. The intruder is in the Room of Files and is using Polyjuice Potion," Said a woman's voice that sounded as if the speaker was in the room.
"How did they find out so fast?" Sarah muttered sarcastically as she waved her wand around her. Security arrived seconds later.
"You are under arrest, take her to the room 959."
The impostor raised her hands in the hair as the Unspeakables approached. Suddenly there was a crack and the Impostor was the only one left standing. She grabbed an extra file before vanishing on the spot.
The Unspeakables slowly rose from the floor. "How did she do that?"
The female voice replied "She set wards around herself that blocked our attack and negated our anti apparating ward."
One of the unspeakables grimaced. "Whoever did this must have an incredible source of magical knowledge..."

At the Hogshead inn, Sarah Stone apparated into her room. She turned to a girl lying stiff as a board on the floor. The impostor spoke, "Thank you for your cooperation Miss Stones, your information has been very helpful. Thank you for trying to help Luna, your intentions have been as foul as your hair. I suggest you tell the rest of your Unspeakables to leave Luna alone. OBLIVAITE!"
Five minutes later the impostor, no longer under the influence of Polyjuice Potion, greeted her boyfriend as he ran up the street. "Hermione where have you been? I've been looking everywhere for you."
"I've been fine I was just taking care of some business for Luna. Is she ok?" Hermione answered nervously.
"I couldn't get in the Hospital Wing, but Harry told me she was going to be ok when he left. He seemed in a big hurry," Ron pondered.
"Well someone just tried to kill his girlfriend, I'm sure he has more important things to do than fill us in," Hermione replied.
"I know what you mean. I don't know where he is going, but I don't want to be the guy meeting a pissed off Harry Potter," said Ron.

"AHHH TAKE WHAT EVER YOU WANT, JUST DON'T HURT ME!"
"For Merlin's sake it's me, Harry! You really need to calm down before you have a bloody heart attack."
Xenophilius' face brightened. "Oh Hi Harry, Luna's been keeping me posted on recent events and I must say I'm concerned. Why won't she let me visit her at school? If she is afraid of my reaction to your relationship with her, I assure you I am not worried. I knew of your feelings since we last met in this very room. I could even see the Dabberblimps crawling all over you."
"Mr. Lovegood, your daughter..."
"Oh hello Filius, Great to see you. I was hoping you would let me speak to my daughter..."
"I'm sure that can be arranged once she is awake," Filius interrupted.
"Well that's good, I really was wanting to show her what I have finally captured...What do you mean awake?" Xenophilius asked confused.
"Xenophilius, Your daughter was poisoned earlier today at the Three Broomsticks Inn. If she hadn't been sharing her pudding with another student she would have died. In fact the student she was sharing with has died. Luckily, your daughter should make a full recovery," Filius finished looking up at the pale figure of Xenophilius Lovegood.
"Well...as long as she's...ok...I...Um...bye," Xenophilius muttered as he feinted. Filius revived him and helped the poor man into a chair.
"Mr. Lovegood, Your daughter is in trouble. I need the notes Pandora wrote before her death," Harry asked failing to remain calm.
Xenophilius looked at Harry in surprise and shock. "How did you...No, Absolutely Not!"
"Her secret is out Xeno, everyone knows she was once a Squib." Flitwick spoke. Interrupting an outburst from Harry.
"Was? She is a squib and no unnatural magic will change that. There are things we must not meddle with Potter. Meddling is what my dear wife did and look what happened to her."
"What are you not telling me?" Harry shouted.
Xenophilius muttered looking at his feet "It's for Luna's own sake that things are kept from her..."
"I have had people keep things from me MY WHOLE LIFE!" Harry screamed at the timid man. "I will not stand by while Luna suffers the same fate."
Xenophilius looked up angered. "It is not up to us to, as the Muggle's say, play god. Who are we to decide how magic works, we are just vessels."
"WE ARE NOT VESSELS, WE ARE INDIVIDUALS WITH FREE WILL AND CHOICE!" Harry yelled back.
Xeno glared back at Harry with bravery he had never seen before from the timid man. "You're a meddler Potter and meddlers get themselves killed, but worse they get those around them killed."
Harry raised his wand to the foolish man. "My meddling saved your life, your daughter's life, I saved thousands of wizards when I struck down Tom Riddle. So just give me those papers before I Meddle once more."
"ENOUGH!"
They both froze as they looked at the source of the booming voice. Filius had his wand aimed at the two before he spoke. "We may have different opinions but we all want the same thing, to help and protect Luna Lovegood. I don't think it would help her if you two killed each other for no good reason!"
Xenophilius paused before waving his wand, conjuring three mugs of tea for his guests. "I'm sorry Potter, I should probably explain myself better so you understand my concerns."
Harry hesitated before sitting down. "I think I understand, you're afraid of change. You are scared of your daughter changing..."
"I'm scared of you preventing a change for the better Harry," Xenophilius interrupted sounding exhausted.
"What's so wrong with her keeping her magic, and maybe even giving more of it to the world? Don't you want your daughter to be happy?" Harry asked.
Xenophilius nodded, "Exactly Potter, I love that girl with all my heart. The way she is writing those letters has shown me how much she has changed. You know why she is losing her magic, Potter?"
"Because she is a Squib? Because of the Nargles?" Harry guessed.
"No...It's because she loves you Harry." Xenophilius said quietly. "Did something happen between you two over the summer? Something that could conjure these feelings of affection?"
Harry looked off in deep thought. "I met her twice during the summer. The first time, she talked about me becoming her tutor, the second time was later that night. I felt guilty for not being a good enough friend to her. I went for a walk and I ended up here. I shared things with her I haven't shared with anyone. She was playing this amazing music and I told her I wanted to be a true friend to her. For a brief moment she seemed too changed and she hugged me..."
"Friendship, a love stronger then love itself. So that is how it started," Xenophilius whispered. "For the first time since the incident, she felt true affection for someone."
The room was silent as Xenophilius began to explain. "Love is a really powerful magic that almost all beings have in them. Only someone like You-Know-Who is without it. He had it once but in order to gain his powers he removed what he believed to be a waste of magic from his core. You see one's magical core can only hold so much magic."
"You mean...That is why Luna's magical core is overloading?" Harry whispered.
Xenophilius nodded. "When Pandora gave Luna that power, Luna lost much of her ability to truly love and feel. She remained a kind, caring and loving person but it was not the same. She once described it as a veil that isolated her from the world."
"I lost more than my wife the day she died, I lost the love of my daughter. You have no idea what it is like to see someone who you love with all your might, who once loved you with all her might, but you look in their eyes and see nothing. She believes she does but it's not really there. That changed the day you came into her life. Slowly but surely, Luna has started to become the women she once was.
"This summer everything changed. I came home from one of my expeditions and she greeted me with affection I no longer thought possible. She is truly starting to heal Harry, and I owe it all to you. I will not let her undo this for reasons she doesn't even understand. If she regains her magic, it will be the same terrible price," Xenophilius finished speaking. It was only when Filius spoke five minutes later that the silence was broken
"What about the Nargles, She seems to believe they have something to do with her losing magic," Filius whispered.
Xenophilius scoffed, "I know for a fact that Nargles are not real."
"Don't lie to me Xeno, We both know you know that I know more than I am supposed to know or am allowed to say I know," Filius said causing Harry and Xeno to try and wrap their heads around that sentence as Filius continued.
"I must confess I have been silent on certain things for a long time. I am aware of everything to do with Pandora and Luna. Not being able to say anything has been maddening. Alas, when you work for the Department of Mysteries, you are forced to take an unbreakable vow of secrecy. Potter, if I had told you Luna was a squib, I would have died on the spot. However I feel I have been too passive when it concerns the poor girl. I will do whatever I can to help you find out the information you seek. Maybe if we can all work together, Luna can keep her magic and her sanity. I fear that this Prophecy may complicate things."
Xenophilius shrugged deep in thought. "That prophecy means nothing, it was condemned to be unfulfilled the day Pandora died."
Flitwick grinned "I was referring to the Prophecy this morning not the one I cannot mention."
Xenophilius looked up shocked. "Another Prophecy, I mean I shouldn't have said that. You tricked me!"
Flitwick looked at Harry with a wink. "See, valuable information, and I'm not dead."
"Get out of my house! I said get out of my..."
"Would you not like to hear the new prophecy then?" Filius asked knowingly.
Xenophilius glared at him "Fine, tell me what you know and I will tell you what I know you Meddlers!"
Flitwick ignored him and quoted the new prophecy.
As the moon dies, old words become lies
At the new moons rise, power awakens in the skies.
The secrets of the gift lies behind her scared eyes
The earth father unwise, with his compromise
With the earth mother the devil in disguise
The past shall reprise as another shall demise
Only through great sacrifice, shall the world become paradise
Moon Mother, Moon Child
The Children of the Wise.
Shall awaken the dog from where it lies
Xenophilius was truly pale at the finish of the prophecy. "So…The old prophecy will be fulfilled...by Luna?"
Flitwick shook his head. "Luna is no sear, this is a prophecy from Nargles, Fairies. They possessed her and spoke through her. It was mostly typical fairy nonsense. The prophecy may amount to no more than Fairy mischief, however it could be very real."
Harry took over. "After the Prophecy, she told me the Nargles told her of Pandora's notes. I was told to get them at all costs sir. I will speak with Luna about what you've told me today but I will be leaving with those notes, one way or the other."
Xenophilius looked ready to argue but relented. He raised his wand and a key came flying into his hands. "Give this key to Luna. Pandora's notes are in Pandora's private vault at Gringotts. I believe her mother left it to her in the event that she was unable to finish her work. I don't know why I bother trying to protect Luna? When Pandora wants something she gets it, especially when it comes to her daughter. Please leave..."
Filius raised his hand. "Aren't you forgetting your promise to Harry?"
Xenophilius glared at Flitwick before focusing on Harry. "I guess you wish to hear the original Prophecy very well..."

"Draco, I understand your concern but Luna is not ready for visitors. She should be out by morning, you can speak to her then," Madam Pomfrey spoke before shutting the door to the Hospital wing.
Draco slumped against the door trying to control his emotions. Of course this was the moment another visitor arrived.
"Well, well, well, I think the Dragon's in love," Michael taunted as he stood over the weeping blonde. "Though to be honest, I think you are more of a ferret."
"Leave me alone..." Draco moaned.
"Maybe you can help me out Malfoy? I saw your girlfriend Pansy die, but what of the squib?"
Draco lunged to his feet before slamming Michael into the wall. "What did you do to her?"
"I didn't do a god dam thing Malfoy. I was there when it happened, I saw Pansy turn purple and Harry carry Luna out of the inn. I just want to see if she's ok."
"Bullshit, you want to finish what you started. I won't let you hurt her!" Draco pointed his wand at Michael's chest.
Michael started to chuckle, "Of course, you're not mourning the death of Pansy, You love Loony Lovegood."
Draco tightened the grip of his wand while Michael burst out laughing. "This is priceless. The Malfoy heir in love with a squib, not just any squib but Loony Lovegood. You never cease to amaze me Malfoy."
"Don't you dare insult her again Corner, she is amazing and kind. Luna saved my life by giving me a second chance. She doesn't deserve your bull shit."
"You feel she deserves to be with you don't you. How does it feel to be in the shadow of Harry Potter then?" Michael grinned knowingly.
"How do you think it feels? It doesn't matter, it's what I deserve," Draco whispered.
"Since when has a Malfoy ever let that stop them," said Michael menacingly.
Draco glared at Michael in silence before Corner spoke coldly. "I had nothing to do with the Loony getting poisoned. Whatever you think of me, I'm no murderer. If I find the murderer I promise you will be the first to know."
"Actually if that's true, can you let me know first Michael? You both have Wrackspurts in your ears by the way, did you know?" Luna spoke calmly, causing Draco to feint from shock. Michael stared for a couple seconds before he also collapsed, from laughter.
"Yep definitely Wrackspurts, bye," Luna hummed as she walked through the walls of the castle until she was in the Forbidden Forrest.
Draco awoke to see Michael recovering from his fit of laughter. "Come on Draco, you can do better than that."
Sign up to rate and review this story