Categories > Cartoons > American Dragon: Jake Long

How Lena Dunham Gets Naked On TV and Why We Love Her For It

by LoveNoonan2

Lena Dunham Nude On TV - Now love Her!Lena Dunham Naked -The assumption of the show was compared to Sex and the City, just this time the gir

Category: American Dragon: Jake Long - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2017-04-12 - 982 words

?Blocked
Lena Dunham Nude On TV - Now love Her!
Lena Dunham Naked -
The assumption of the show was compared to Sex and the City, just this time the girls are 20-somethings and dealing with a considerably more tumultuous period of their lives as they try to transition into the "real world." Yes, it looks like just another series about young, white, privileged women, but you still ought to give it attention. Why?
Because Lena Dunham has an average-looking body and is not afraid to expose it, affirming to girls everywhere that it is acceptable to be average and also NOT be embarrassed of your body!
And I do not mean typical in a negative way. Typical as in normal. Typical. Expected. Outside of the tiny percentage of girls who are tall, wafer thin, cellulite-free, enormous-breasted and have no curves (otherwise known as the scantily clad women who dominate the media, advertisements, film, TV, etc).
Lena Dunham has not been concealing her body as other "flawed" girls do on TV. As her character Hannah, she is been getting naked. The sex scenes provide lots of opportunity for nudity, but in the most recent episode we also see her wearing a see through mesh top in public. (And Hannah is only one one getting naked.
In a season one episode, "The Crackcident," there is some shocking nudity when Shoshanna, another of the ladies, ends up on a footpath in Brooklyn with no trousers. Her nudity is never discussed subsequently, or later in the show. I guess the writers are saying, "hey nakedness a part of life." Since we all have nude bodies, it's.)
Lena Dunham Nude

But Lena Dunham's nude scenes and naked body has elicited some powerful and disturbing reactions from critics. A female critic writes about her in a NY Post review, "It Is not every day in the TV world of anorexic celebrities with fake boobs that a girl with giant thighs, a sloppy backside and small breasts is compelled to show it all." Um, and somebody hates her for it? Dunham is a danger to the regular arrangement of things, simply by being her real self.
She was also criticized for wearing this ensemble at an event in L.A.
"I am anti-trousers." -Lena Dunham (pictured right, with no slacks)
Dunham's answer was: If Olivia Wilde had gone to a celebration in little shorts, she might have been on a 'weird dressed list' or been told her outfit was adorable. I don't believe a girl with tiny thighs would have received such no-trousers curiosity. I believe what it really was 'Why did you all make us look at your thighs?' My answer is, get used to it because I am going to live to be 100, and I 'm going to show my thighs every day till I die."
Just by showing her thighs, she is challenging the same answer to nudity that naturists deal with: "Ewww! I do not wanna see that!" A salon.com post about Girls' informal nudity even quoted Nicky Hoffman of The Naturist Society about how naturism empowers women.
It always seemed to me like a paradox that it is not difficult to walk the streets among average Americans and recognize that most folks are not hiding the superb skinny idealized physique under their clothes. And yet to be faced with this fact is to cause shock, controversy, and disgust. Perhaps I simply underestimate the brainwashing done by the media and marketing business.
But what's great is the manner Lena reacts to these attacks on her body. She doesn't give a crap!
Her body has generated not just criticism, but also some really excellent discussion around important questions - Why does nudity make individuals feel disgust? What's wrong with showing an alternate body type on TV? Why is it a big deal? Why does it have to mean anything?
Here are two quotations from posts that try to address these questions.
We're unfamiliar with seeing a 'real' body represented on screen, and the closeness it creates is startling, and challenging, and the challenge makes us uneasy, and discomfort leads us all too frequently to the kneejerk reaction of criticism and of disgust.
The nude body is humanity at its most exposed and its most truthful, and it should be celebrated not only for its potential to be beautiful but also its potential to be amusing, and inept, and gloomy, and old, because this in turn is all that we are, and can be."
And a 2nd quote from "The Audacity of Lena Dunham, and Her Admirable Commitment to Making Us Look At Her Naked" by Lesley on xoJane
"The aghast controversy evoked by Dunham's nudity shows us just how much of this "real women" conversation is lip service, and how very far we have to go before we can socially take care of the fact that different bodies exist.
We want more of Lena Dunham naked on TV! I trust she will keep getting nude and keep challenging the status quo. (We also clearly need more folks to try naturism, but all of US know it's simpler to set a greater assortment of naked girls on TV than to get the audience themselves to try social nudity.)
This post titled - Lena Dunham Nude - is part of our Sex Favorable And Body Image Sites By Felicity Jones For - Young Naturists And Nudists America FKK
Tags: body image, breasts, celebs, fat shaming, feminism, television, topless / topfree
Class: Body Image Blogs, Felicity's Naturist Site, Naked News, Social Activism, Social Nudity Blogs
About the Author (Author Profile)
Writer of Nudist Website. Co founder of Nudist Portal. 3rd-generation nudie. Avid reader. Feminist. When I am not busy eating, I'm writing about naturism, censorship, topfree equality, body image and other interesting topics. I like feedback, so plz leave a comment when you have got something to say!
Sign up to rate and review this story