Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Illusions of Nightmares

Illusions of Nightmares

by MasterFranny 3 reviews

(ItaNaru, hints at SasuNaru) after three years, Sasuke returns to Konoha, only to find that the worst nightmares are what you once called normality.

Category: Naruto - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Horror - Characters: Itachi, Naruto, Sasuke - Published: 2006-09-05 - Updated: 2006-09-05 - 2594 words - Complete

1Ambiance
Note: I thought about calling this shot "Genjitsu to Genkaku" which means "Reality and Illusion"... but in the end I decided to call it "Illusions of Nightmares".

MasterFranny: warning all of you. This isn't gonna be pretty.

Again, another one-shot... and I really should be working on my ShikaNaru fic like I promised... and on the trade, like I promised... but I was in the mood! Beg your pardon!

Please consider this a birth from my sick mind in need of a good, good dark fic. Not as in angsty... but as in, dark.

This is... dedicated to my BETA. Silence of Nightmares. So. Enjoy... er, wrong cheering.

...................................................

Rating: M

Summary: (ItaNaru, hints at SasuNaru) after three years, Sasuke returns to Konoha, only to find that the worst nightmares are what you once called normality.

Warnings: shounen-ai action (male x male) as well as mentions of death characters, and mind problems. XDXDXD /KINDA Sasuke OOCism!/

Disclaimer: meaning not claim. Why is it here? To state I don't own Naruto. I wouldn't be writing here otherwise.

"Talking"
'Thinking'

...................................................



Illusions of Nightmares



One-Shot


It wasn't supposed to be like this.

It wasn't supposed to end this way, no matter what he said when he left... when he betrayed everything he had. He never wanted something like this... never /ever/.

After having ended his 'training', knowing he could learn nothing more from the Sannin, it was there he had thought about going first.

After having repaid his 'sensei' with the same courtesy, by stabbing him in the chest and watching him slowly agonizing on the ground, knowing he was stronger than the snake, it was Konoha he'd wished to see again.

So he left.

Even before seeking revenge.

Even before thinking about anything else... he'd started his travel back to the village.

Not expecting what greeted him. Not expecting anything like this...

...

But there it was. Evanescent like a candle light in the breeze, stood what was left of the once outstanding village of Konoha. A place that had once been the strongest of the hidden villages. A place whose name was feared and respected.

Brought down to nothing.

:.:.:.:

There is nothing to say anymore
When the truth is clear in front of you

:.:.:.:

Crimson eyes couldn't but look, stare, search, wondering how, why, when...

Who.

The village was no more.

Konoha had been destroyed, shattered, until there was nothing left but burned and broken remains.

The place he lived in for his first twelve years was reduced to ruins, and now what lingered on it was a deep, seething silence... the silence of death.

Not even emotionless as he became, leaving to grow strong, leaving to fulfil his dream, could he be prepared to the feeling of loss he felt now.

Nothing.

He shouldn't have, because, face it, he left without turning back; without even thinking about it twice, no guilt, no shame. But right now, he felt simply too empty to complain about the past.

Because even in his denial, even after so many years of training away from it, even with the mere hatred sustaining his tired mind and his tired body, he never forgot where he belonged to.

Konoha was his home.

Even away from it he knew, he would be back.

Naruto would wait for him...

Because...

:.:.:.:

Living in a nightmare
Stepping further into madness

:.:.:.:

Reality hit. Hard.

'It's all... gone'.

Not even his cold heart could accept this. Not even after all he went through.

This had been his home.

He was bound to return and he knew -he expected- that all would be okay again... Naruto would smile at him, and then they would settle back in a comfortable normality, while he waited for the perfect opportunity to finally kill his brother.

He had left because he knew something would be there when he were to get back; because Naruto would provide him an open door where he'd closed it.

He renounced to everything three years before, when he left for Orochimaru, and he did that without a second thought... his friends, the chance of forming a family, his village, everything... without any regret.

But it was just appearance.

He knew Naruto would never turn his back on him, nor admit defeat, not until Sasuke was to return.

So it hadn't been hard to walk away, shutting the door close... Naruto would surely be there for him, opening it again.

:.:.:.:

Realizing we've lost more than we've won
Mourning and crying in pain of what's gone

:.:.:.:

Naruto.

Where was Naruto.

Why was Konoha destroyed?

Where was anyone?

Where was Naruto?

Anxious, he never felt this way before, but there again, he had faced anything, but not the sight of his past destroyed. He could not accept that... he could not believe that!

And so he ran.

Through the now crumbled wall that once had served as a protection, through the main path that went through the remains of the village, he ran.

Fast, heart beating in his chest, thumping in his ears, he himself stupefied he was this distraught... but Naruto was the only one that could make him feel this way. And now, this sight as well.

He was hurt.

He'd thought he hated that place, and wanted to be back only for his blond dobe... and now he realized that indeed, he'd loved this place.

That he still did.

Even for a heartless killer, whose crimson eyes swirled with power...

Konoha was still beating for him. Konoha was still a part of him.

Blood Sharingan drowned in charcoal nothingness.

He was too shocked to care.

There was nothing left.

:.:.:.:

The sound of silence is deafening
Tears sliding down from my eyes

:.:.:.:

The Hokage tower was gone.

Not even ruins where it had once been.

The mountain, what he searched for as he approached the village, was still standing, but the faces were horribly disfigured. Whilst in the distance it wasn't clear, now that he stood at its feet, he could see it.

Shodaime and Nidaime were partially crumbled, their faces almost unrecognizable. Sandaime was almost untouched, if not for missing one eye. On the other end, Godaime and Yondaime were totally destroyed. Their faces no more.

Complete disrespect.

Almost hatred.

The village was not in a better state. The houses had been demolished, burned down, until almost nothing was left.

The village was empty, desolated, vanquished .

Where were the villagers? The shinobi?

He searched.

No one was there.

No one.

'Naruto...'

He wished against it all.

To see his house, to see him.

To know he was still... to know he was not...

He stopped in the middle of the street.

Almost mocking him, a figure was standing there, in front of him, smiling.

:.:.:.:

And there stands the nightmare
Blind eyes lost in the dark

:.:.:.:

"N... Naruto?"

Once bright blue eyes were dulled over, they had lost their shine... but a smile was playing on his lips, a smile so dazzling and brilliant Sasuke was disconcerted and taken aback by it.

There was nothing to smile.

"So you are back," the voice was soft. "Welcome back, Sasuke".

The smile grew stronger.

The eyes remained dull.

Contrasting.

"I've waited for you to come back, we all waited," Naruto didn't look aware of what was around him, his eyes fixed on Sasuke's, who shuddered. He didn't like that look. Hollow. As if there was nothing inside.

Wrong.

"Naruto... what happened here?" and there was a light tremble in his deep voice.

Blue eyes gave away nothing, as nothing was the answer, "nothing Sasuke... it's all perfectly fine... as it should be... can't you see?"

:.:.:.:

Speaking truth and concealed lies
Hiding the depth of reality

:.:.:.:

"Naruto! What are you saying?! Konoha is no more!" Sasuke felt stupid.

But this was too unreal.

Those ocean orbs were glazed over, dull, empty...

And yet the smile was intense when the blond replied, "why are you saying this Sasuke? There is nothing wrong in here... all is exactly as it has always been".

And that's when Sasuke recognized the look in the blue, emotionless eyes.

It was shock.

Naruto was not there... at least, not completely.

"Naruto..." Sasuke felt his heart bat painfully.

Naruto took his hand.

It was warm.

It was real.

And yet Sasuke felt like he was walking in a dream -in a nightmare.

"Come on, the others are waiting," another smile, shining, as if he wasn't standing in the middle of a destroyed village.

And too shocked to care anymore, Sasuke let Naruto lead him away.

Because in truth now he knew -the broken pieces would never be fixed again.

:.:.:.:

Nothing matters anymore
Keep screaming in denial

:.:.:.:

Almost mocking it was. Sasuke barely registered it.

Naruto's house was still standing.

Among the ruins it was the only thing that was still there... almost intact.

Dazzling.

"They're waiting... we have waited long for you to return," Naruto said happily.

Sasuke froze. Hoping... hoping there would be someone else alive and still there.

To ask. To know what had happened.

Naruto opened his door and tugged Sasuke with him.

Entering the dark house, a horrible smell assaulted Sasuke's senses... the intense smell of decomposition. The smell of death.

But nothing was as shocking as the sight.

Sasuke felt his insides twist painfully, bile raising in his throat, disgust, pity, hatred, anguish all washing over him.

This was too much to take.

Unreal.

:.:.:.:

Seeing the death clear in your eyes
Appearance is nothing knowing it fails

:.:.:.:

A table in the middle of the room.

Darkness curling around everything, even Naruto's face was now hidden, blue empty eyes standing against the shadows, almost glowing.

And the smile... even with that sight.

"I brought Sasuke back," he said.

And Sasuke stared.

Around the table, sat three shapes.

Unmoving.

Not breathing.

Eyes widened open, glazed over by death.

Bodies rotten over and already starting to decompose... the stench was unbearable. The sight was even more so.

Sasuke stared from one body to another.

People he'd known. People he'd spoken with... fought with... people he had respected and accepted.

People he betrayed but never forgot.

Green, lifeless eyes. Pink hair, now dirtied by blood and by filth, coming irregularly down on her shoulders and cut open neck; worms sliding in and out her mouth, following a light trail of dried blood.

He felt like throwing up.

A single eye mockingly fixed on him, the other that had once been crimson like his, gone and now an empty hole filled with dried blood and insects. Eating him from the inside, crawling on his once silver hair, now of an unrecognizable colour.

Another shape at the other end of the table, the face almost completely removed, probably by using a kunai, one arm missing from the shoulder, half of the chest sliced away, the display of internal organs, of a rotten disgusting brown colour.

Sasuke would have had problems recognizing him, if not for a cut going horizontally above his nose, proving his identity.

They were all there.

Slowly rotten by the time. Eaten by bugs and worms. He could see the bones, of a clear white, standing out in the wounds.

Horrible, disgusting, shocking.

Death.

"Sakura-chan, Kakashi-sensei, Iruka-sensei, see?" Naruto smiled and touched Iruka's remaining arm. Some blood stained his hand, but it was like he couldn't see it.

A worm slowly crawled from the place a finger should have been and curled around the thumb of the dead shinobi.

Naruto smiled down at his sensei, "Sasuke is back... to stay," he said softly.

:.:.:.:

Waiting for death to reach for your soul
Dread is your master until you fall

:.:.:.:

"Sasuke-teme, why aren't you saying hello to the others?" Naruto's smile turned strange in the darkness. Almost predatory-like. But the eyes were still dull and lifeless. "You are not nice... we have waited so long for you..."

Blue eyes met dark, panicked ones. So empty they were, so hollow, eyes that saw everything and forgot... because it was simply too much to stand. Too much to accept.

Sasuke started trebling. It was not meant to be this way. He always thought he would return to Konoha, and Naruto would meet him and tell him welcome back... and then he would kill his brother and finally live happily, knowing he could be saved by the blond.

But not even he could have foreseen such a thing to happen. The destruction of Konoha. And now, Naruto.

He couldn't stand this.

He felt like he would explode... he needed to run away.

He simply couldn't accept this, everything was shattering down.

There was nothing to look up for. All he could see now were Naruto's blue eyes, glazed over, and the three rotting corpses in his room.

Without looking back, Sasuke ran away.

Not once stopping, not once turning, not sparing a last glance at what had once been his roots, his past, and his hope for the future. He had really lost it all.

Forever.

:.:.:.:

Because no matter what you desire,
In the end you're the defeated one

:.:.:.:

Blue eyes sparkled with delight in the dark of the room, as they stared at the retreating form of the young Uchiha disappearing in the distance.

Left alone, something changed, and with a flicker, the corpses on the chairs disappeared into nothingness.

A fanged smirk made its way on the blond ninja's face, then he started laughing. The laugh was somewhat wrong on the blond.

Evil.

"You are so vicious and twisted," a deep voice said from the shadows of a corner.

Naruto turned, and was suddenly enveloped in a warm embrace, arms curling around his torso, his head pressed against a toned chest, his cheek feeling the smooth fabric against his skin.

The smirk turned darker as a laugh wracked his body, turning in the hug to meet with another pair of crimson orbs, eviler, darker, more alluring than Sasuke's.

"I am... and you love that," he teased.

A deep, low laugh joined Naruto's as the blond moved his hand upwards to let it slide through silky raven hair.

"He was so shocked he didn't even realize he was caught in a Genjutsu," Naruto mumbled, licking his lips before leaning on the taller form to steal a hungry, heated kiss. The other complied happily, ravishing him on the spot.

Ocean eyes opened again, sparkling with light and life.

"He's always been a foolish person, my little brother," the other form breathed in his ear. "He put his faith and his future in the hands of the one he thought was his best friend, even after having irreparably betrayed him..." another kiss, just as fierce and hungry. Tongues intertwining, bodies pressed against each others'. "As he now loves this place, you now hate it..."

"This was the best way to shatter him and take revenge of his betrayal... by showing him my own..." Naruto smirked again.

:.:.:.:

And in the shattered land of dreams
A realization shines in the darkness

:.:.:.:

Itachi and Naruto exited the house, the sun shining almost mockingly on the remains of the village of Konoha.

Both stared in satisfaction at the destruction that had happened a year before, before the taller shinobi nudged the other to move.

"We have to go," he said.

Naruto smiled.

"Of course. We wouldn't want to stay anymore in the village I destroyed, would we? This stench is making me sick".

And in the blink of an eye, they were gone.

A bird chirped in the silence.

:.:.:.:

The real nightmare is the truth
That is shown by reality

:.:.:.:



...................................................

MasterFranny: OMG I am so sick.

Please, comment.
Sign up to rate and review this story