Categories > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon > Celestial Warrior Moon

Chapter 3: Becoming Acquainted

by WeirdRaptor 0 reviews

Getting Acquainted

Category: Sailor Moon - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Usagi (Moon) - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2017-08-08 - 9607 words

0Unrated
Celestial Warrior Moon:

Disclaimer: I do not own any Sailor Moon related properties. Sailor Moon is the property of Toei Animation and Naoko Takeuchi. This is a fan work created to celebrate the work. It is not intended to infringe on any copyrights.

Chapter 3

Becoming Acquainted

In a dark place in the underground, there was n a wide cavern with great big pillars holding up its high ceiling, which served as the throne room of this Dark Kingdom. A court of monsters and other entities of the most eldritch corners of the earth had gathered before their queen this day. At the head of the chamber, there was a stone throne devoid of decoration. It rested on a stone platform, above the rest of the court. Stone steps lead up to it, though one didn't dare ascend them without invitation. On the throne sat their queen.

Her eyes like red orbs stared down at them, cold and unyielding. She rapped long fingernails against the granite armrest, giving the first signs of impatience. She ran a finger through one of her long, red curls. Her skin was the color of dusty earth. Her small but commanding form was adorned with plain robes and she wore a simple brass circlet around her head.

"Nephrite, where is that fool Jadeite?" she demanded. "He should have been here an hour ago! I want that latest report before noon!"

The tall, muscular man with long, black hair who had the appearance of being in his late twenties stood at attention before her. He wore a gray military-style uniform, though it lacked badges or stars. He didn't so much as flinch at her angered shout, his discipline keeping him at attention.

"I don't know, my Queen, but it's not like Jadeite to be this late. I could go look for him."

"No, you need to be here to for this report," Beryl replied. "But I do need someone to find him."

"That won't be necessary," Jadeite said, materializing.

A much shorter, younger man who looked around twenty or so with short blonde hair was now standing next to Nephrite. He wore an identical uniform.

"You sure took your sweet time," Nephrite muttered very unhappily.

Jadeite ignored him, instead opting to address to his liege with a bow.

"Forgive my lateness, Queen Beryl, it won't happen again," he said with his head still low.

"It better not," Beryl said crossly. "Why were you late? Explain yourself!"

"It's all in my report," Jadeite replied, grinning as he straightened. "I had more to compile for my presentation than usual, due to… unusual circumstances."

"The Keepers again?" Nephrite asked with a raised brow.

Beryl let out a low growl at the mention of them. Their very name made her blood burn.

"Well… yes and no," Jadeite answered

"Begin your report," Beryl ordered impatiently. "What news of the legendary silver crystal?"

She rested her head back and closed her eyes while listening.

"It's still missing, Queen Beryl, but believe me, I've had my pawns bringing in selected gems and crystals from all over the globe. Crystals said to be enchanted, that just might be the one. Thus far, I've managed to get them through right under Sailor V's nose," Jadeite boasted.

But then, his expression turned dark.

"…But the night before last, one of my smuggling operations was interrupted by a new enemy: a man in the mask. He refers to himself Phantom Mask. The meddler also managed to get the team I had employed all arrested!"

Beryl's eyes shot up and she rose to her heeled feet.

"These men you used are unaware of your true identity, I assume," she said, not asked.

"Yes, yes, of course, my Queen!" Jadeite spoke frightened and hastily.

He held up his disarmingly.

"They think I'm just some collector, under one of many names I go by! I've never even met them. I always use Aqua under her human alias as my go-between. Even if the fools try to cut a deal with the police by telling them everything they know, there's no way the thefts can be traced back to me."

"Give the order, and I will have the incompetents Jadeite hired terminated within the hour," Nephrite offered.

"No," Beryl replied. "The last thing we want to do is actively give the human authorities (or the Keepers) reason to believe anything aside from a series of jewel thefts has occurred. Leave them be to their fate, whatever it might be."

"As you wish," Nephrite bowed his head slightly.

"Why not let him? It's not like they can stop us," Jadeite shrugged.

"No, but humans have the uncanny ability to complicate matters wherever they stick their unwanted noses," Beryl replied. "Tell me more about this latest inconvenience."

"We suspect he is the same jewel thief that has been operating in Tokyo, Japan for the last six months," Jadeite explained. "Other than that, I can't really say much, yet. I haven't really had much time to investigate as of yet."

"It makes one wonder where these people keep coming from," Nephrite said with a weary sigh.

"Indeed," Jadeite smirked. "Don't let this trouble you. The fool will be dealt with as soon as our little trap is ready."

"Very good," Beryl said. "Lacking the crystal, I presume you've begun labor on your other mission, then?"

"Yes, my Queen," Jadeite replied.

He held out his hand as if holding something in it. A black orb with glowing energy materialized in his palm. Beryl grinned and with a single gesture, it levitated over to her. She held out both hands and the orb floated in between them.

"Very good," she congratulated. "There must already be the energy of at least a hundred human lives in there."

She sent the orb off towards the ceiling above. An undefined mass within a crystalline coating hung from it. The orb phased right through the hard outer material to the thing in the middle. It shimmered ever so slightly upon being 'fed', as one might say it.

"It's a start," Beryl said to Jadeite. "Keep it up, and soon our Great Ruler will awaken."

"As you wish, my Queen," Jadeite bowed low. "I've deployed several of my agents and scattered them throughout the continents. The Keepers will not be able to discern regular monster activity from ours. A handful has been taken out, but no one of importance within our ranks. Which leads me to last night…" Jadeite trailed off.

"Here we go," Nephrite said quietly.

He casually took a few steps away from Jadeite. He had just washed the uniform after all. He didn't particularly like the idea of having to send it back to the cleaners because he carelessly stood too close to someone that had been reduced to mush.

"What happened last night?" Beryl asked dangerously.

"Last night, The Rake made his move on a neighborhood that he had infested," Jadeite explained. "Within an hour, he had effortlessly claimed the lives of five households without being detected. On the last house he ran afoul, of one of them."

"Them?" Beryl and Nephrite asked.

"Yes, a Celestial Warrior. The first has awakened at last. One of the girls he attacked fled the last residence but she didn't get far. Then, Luna interfered and awakened her! The girl became Celestial Warrior Moon and…dispatched him. I have not identified the girl as of yet."

Beryl's eyes blazed more fiercely than fire.

"B-but, I was able to collect the energy he had taken from his victims!" he added hurriedly.

Beryl stood again, sending Jadeite a terrible glare.

"You lost The Rake. You lost one of the most feared creatures of the deep recesses of man's primal consciousness…" she said, murder in her voice.

"I am sorry, my Queen. I was careless. I accept full responsibility for this," Jadeite said, shame in his voice.

Beryl calmed herself. She closed her eyes and forced her breathing to level out. She opened them again and regarded him evenly.

"I won't punish you, this time, Jadeite. At least we lost him in the discovery of our greatest enemy. You will continue your work as per usual, Jadeite, with increased caution."

"But, what about the Celestial Warriors, my Queen?" Jadeite asked. "My mission has just become much more difficult, thanks to this new development."

Now it was Beryl's turn to smirk with a devious flair. She took in a breath and called:

"Zoicite!"

Appearing in the air above Jadeite and Nephrite was a third young man, somewhere between the former and latter's ages. Though he hovered around ten feet above the ground, he was positioned as if sitting crossed legged in a chair with his hands folded in his lap.

He was easily more slightly built than the other two, and had long hair matching the color of his namesake tied back in a ponytail. He had very feminine features to match the manner he carried himself. He had the same outfit as the other two.

Jadeite scowled at the floating man above his and Nephrite's heads.

"In all due respect, my Queen, I can manage without the help of this waif," Jadeite said.

Zoicite laughed as if he had just been told a most humorous joke. He grinned with a sly flair down at the other blonde.

"My, my, aren't you the confident one," Zoicite teased. "In over-abundance, it can be your downfall."

Jadeite sneered up at him, and was about to speak some retort when Beryl interrupted.

"You will do as you're told, Jadeite, or would you rather be taken off this mission and have it given to Nephrite?"

Jadeite stood silent for a second before giving his queen another bow.

"No, my Queen, forgive my insolence, I was out of term."

"Much better," Beryl replied, coldly.

She turned to Zoicite.

"Zoicite, you will learn the identity of our newest and greatest enemy, and kill her. In the meantime, keep her blind to the true prize. Jadeite must be able to complete his objectives without being bothered."

"I will not fail you, my Queen," Zoicite promised.

Beryle looked to Nephrite.

"And you, Nephrite. You recently sent me your latest findings concerning the stars in relation to their effect on humans. Very impressive work. You will begin putting this attained knowledge into practice to aid Jadeite in choosing targets to take energy from. With that said, do you believe that studying the stars might yield the identity of the Celestial Warrior?"

"Of that, I am uncertain," Nephrite replied. "But I will look for anything unusual in my observations."

"What of Kunzite? Will he be participating?" Zoicite asked.

"Kunzite will continue leading our offensive against The Keepers and his other work in the Middle East. You are all dismissed. Jadeite, begin briefing these two on your operations."

"Yes, my Queen," Jadeite bowed.

With that, the three men vanished. Beryl's lips curled up into a fanged smile. Soon, everything they had worked for would come into fruition.

"Motoki!" Usagi called.

She ran after him down the pavement. At the end of this proverbial tunnel she sprinted through, there was a light at the end of it, and in the middle of it was Motoki, walking away with his back turned. Usagi rushed to catch up, but for some reason, the going was slow.

"Motoki!" she called again.

This time he stopped and she raced right up to him.

"I'm going to confess to him for sure!" she thought.

She reached out for his arm when she was close enough. She gripped it and he turned again.

"Motoki, I…" she started.

She screamed when the person before her faced her. The image of Motoki vanished, and in its place was left the visage of The Rake. It roared and lunged! It pinned her down, and then there was blood. Blood everywhere.

Usagi jolted up in bed. Her breathing was sharp but heavy. She stared straight ahead, completely frozen in place. She had broken out into a cold sweat. She looked up at her ceiling and realized that it had all been a dream. Nevertheless, her eyes scanned the dark bedroom for any sign of an intruder. She didn't see any movement. She blinked away a stream of light and glanced at the window. It was morning, and early.

She checked her alarm clock. 6:50AM. She felt a sudden weight on her stomach and glanced over. There was a black cat in her face. She squeaked, and jumped up, putting her back against the head of her bed. When she saw it was just her newly acquired "cat", she calmed down.

"Are you alright,? Luna asked.

"Not really," Usagi whined. "I just had a nightmare about that thing from last night! It was shaping up to be a really nice love dream, too!"

"Love dream," Luna asked, though she was absolutely certain she didn't want to know.

"Usagi, are you up already?" Ikuko called from downstairs.

"Yes, Mom. Ugh, thanks a lot, Luna. Now I have to get up!"

"You should be getting up right now, anyway," Luna replied flatly.

"Whatever," Usagi muttered.

She shuffled off to the bathroom.

"And don't forget the cover story if anyone asks," Luna quietly called. "Wild cat. It's what the police report says."

"Yeah, yeah," Usagi said dismissively.

She closed the door to her room. She hung her head.

"Like that story'll stand up," she thought. "We all saw that thing!"

Then she felt guilty thinking about it.

"And I refused to let Naru have our study date my house. Wait, but if we weren't there, Mrs. Osaka would have been killed right along with those poor men. Those poor, poor men."

She thought back on what happened after the encounter with The Rake and Phantom Mask while getting ready for the day.

She ran as fast as she could back to Naru's house. When they arrived, they had found that Ami was able to flag down the arriving paramedic much to her relief. They hid amongst some nearby trees before coming out. Usagi was about to run over, but Luna told her to stop.

The first ambulance had already left with Makoto inside for the Tokyo Metropolitan Hiroo General Hospital. They were loading Naru into the last one. This was when Usagi decided to make her appearance.

"Quickly, change back," Luna had instructed. "Concentrate on the image of yourself as an ordinary girl. They must not know about your power or your identity as a Celestial Warrior.

"Why not?"

"It's for your own good, Usagi. If the ones that sent that beast ever found out who you really are, they'd stop at nothing to get at you. They'd have no qualms about using your friends, family, or any other innocents they could get their hands on," Luna warned.

"Alright, alright, I get it."

Usagi concentrated. Her armor disappeared and the both blades vanished back within the hilt she carried. She was wearing her school uniform again. Luna hopped off her shoulder, disappearing into some nearby bushes. Usagi pocketed the hilt before emerging from the darkness. When she did, she ran straight for Ami. The other girl spotted her immediately.

"Usagi!" Ami cried in a shrill yet relieved voice.

"Ami, is everyone alright?" Usagi asked.

"I don't know yet!"

Ami grabbed the blonde by both hands and looked her over.

"But you're alright, thank goodness!" she said, greatly relieved.

Usagi could tell from the red eyes that the girl had been weeping. She looked like she might start again out of joy, seeing her new friend not torn into little pieces.

"Yeah-yeah. I lost the, uh… the, uh… it," Usagi stuttered.

At the moment, Ami was too glad to see Usagi alive and in one piece to bother thinking about how she had lost… that thing, let alone ask. A police officer approached them.

"Excuse me, girls, but we're going to have to ask you some questions down at the station," he said.

He looked back at the surrounding houses with uncertainty.

"There was an awful lot of force used here. I trust you can both shed a little light on what happened in there."

"Anywhere but here," Ami shuddered.

The girl looked very pale. She gave the ambulances a worried look.

"Excuse me, officer, I'll be right back," Ami said.

The blue haired teen ran over to one of the emergency workers.

"Hey, w-wait for me," Usagi called.

She followed behind Ami as best she could.

"Hello," Ami said to the male EMT.

He turned around.

"Yes, how may I help you?"

"Are they…going to be alright?" Ami asked worriedly.

Usagi looked in the back window in at Naru. She was conscious, but stared off into space with a haunted look.

"The Osakas have only sustained mild injury. It's your other friend, Miss Kino, we're more worried about," The paramedic replied.

He climbed into the driver's seat of the emergency vehicle and drove off, taking Naru and her mother to Hiroo General as well. The officer came up behind them.

"It's time, ladies. You will be interviewed by Inspector Ishida. I've already told the Superintendent that you're coming," he said.

Usagi and Ami looked at him over their shoulders with drained gazes. They could only follow him to his car. He opened the back seat door for them and they climbed in. He shut it behind him and went to the driver's side. Just as he was opening the door, another officer came up and tapped his shoulder.

"Yeah?"

"We've tried to get the neighbors to answer, but no one's coming out, sir."

"What? Oh man, Monday is too soon for this crap. Alright, tell Inspector Ishida when he and the investigation team arrive."

"Yes, sir. Oh, I hope we don't have a bunch of stiffs on our hands," the other officer said.

Usagi and Ami rode to the police station with the officer in absolute silence. Every once in a while, they'd exchange looks that spoke a thousand words. They had no idea what they were going to tell the police. It's not like they'd actually be believed when they got to the part about the monster in Naru's basement.

The car pulled out front of the station and then they were taken to Ishida's office.

"What do we do, Usagi?" Ami said the instant they were alone and waiting for their interviewer. "There's no way they're going to believe that some monster attacked us!"

Usagi bit her lip and looked away. Frankly, she didn't know what to do. Nor did she come up with an answer before they saw the door to the office open. n walked a young officer. He smiled at them pleasantly when he entered. He sat at his desk with the report folder and a pen, ready to take their testimony.

Both girls looked on the man. He stood slightly shorter than average height and had a slight, wiry frame. His face was also thin with sharp features. A long scar below right below his eye went all the way across that side of his face and past his ear which also had scarring on the lobe. He had shaggy shoulder length white hair that was tied back. He wore a gray suit with a long tan coat.

"Hello, Miss Tsukino and Miss Mizuno, I'm Inspector Ishida. Before we begin, is there anything I can get either of you? A glass of water, something from the vending machines, just name it?"

"Have-have our parents been called?" Ami asked.

"Yes, Miss Mizuno, Miss Tsukino's parents are on their way to pick you up as we speak. However, I wasn't able to get a hold of your mother, so I'll have to drive you home."

Ami gaze lowered to her lap sadly.

"…I understand."

"Poor Ami," Usagi thought.

She was beginning to realize what Ami had meant when she said "mother won't care, believe me". Usagi cleared her throat, bringing to attention just how dry it was.

"Water, please," Usagi asked.

"I would like that, too," Ami said quietly.

"Sure, sure," Ishida replied.

He left to retrieve their beverages and returned a short time later. He handed them their drinks. All the while, his posture, face, and voice were disarming and welcoming. It made them both feel safe talking to him, which is what he wanted. The more they felt they could confide in him, the better.

"Here you both go," he said.

He gave them the water, and then took his seat again. He waited a moment for them to take a drink. When they had, he spoke again.

"Are you both ready to begin? Take it slow; we're in no rush here."

"I guess," Usagi replied.

"Yes," Ami added, though she didn't sound ready.

Ishida cleared his throat before beginning.

"Very well, the purpose of this interview is to get as accurate an account of what occurred in that house as we can from the two of you. Please, as best you can, tell me what attacked you and describe the sequence of events."

The two recounted what led up the situation, explaining that they were all there studying when the power went out. Then they got to the part where they encountered The Rake, Usagi clamped right up.

"As best you can, describe the animal that assaulted you at the Osaka residence," Ishida instructed.

Usagi and Ami exchanged very uncertain glances, but remained silent.

"Miss Tsukino? Miss Mizuno?"

"I…" Ami began, looking down at her lap. "I don't really know how to describe that... that thing."

This got Ishida's attention.

"Thing? Lika beast, or a monster?" he asked.

"Not just 'like a monster'," Usagi muttered, her voice cracked as she spoke.

"I see. What you saw down in that basement. It was something so otherworldly, so wrong, that you don't think I'll believe you when you tell me," Ishida replied, seriously.

Both girls looked at him in amazement, and he smiled understandingly back.

"The fact that there's a scary dark corner just outside of man's vision hasn't been lost on this Inspector, ladies," he said.

Usagi was both surprised and relieved by this revelation. The fact that the police knew about things like this suddenly made this interview much, much easier.

"Alright, I'll tell you," Usagi said.

She looked away at nothing and bit her lip again.

"It looked like a man, trying to be a monster, or a monster trying to be man," Ami interjected.

"It looked like a man, sort of, but moved and walked like a dog," Usagi replied. "Its skin was this nasty gray color, and it had all these real bad bruises, cuts, and sores all over like it was beat up real bad a lot of times. It had these claws... Long, sharp ones at its fingertips. It used them to…"

Usagi trailed off.

"It had black eyes," Ami said. "I don't know if it could talk, but it sure could carry on like a wild animal."

"It could talk," Usagi insisted. "Just not like any human."

They explained the struggle with the beast as best they could, but where Usagi fled the grounds was where it becomes difficult.

"…It almost had me…" Usagi spoke, before stopping again.

"Did someone save you?" Ishida asked.

"…Yes."

"Who?"

"Well, it was a woman, real pretty. She just appeared out of nowhere."

"Like a superhero?" Ishida asked, as if getting the picture.

"Well, yeah."

"Was it Sailor V?"

"…Ye-No. It was someone else. Some dark haired woman I've never met before. She started beating it up with a spear."

Ishida's cocked a brow while listening.

"What happened to the creature after she showed up?"

"It might be dead," Usagi replied. "I'm not really sure."

That was close enough to the truth, she figured.

"What'd she look like? Did this woman give you any name," Ishida asked.

"Real pretty. She was tall, had black long hair and this weird crescent moon tattoo on her forehead! …I couldn't really say what her name is."

"Do you remember any other details about the incident? Such as, other than the two men and the family across the street, did you discover any other bodies?"

He looked over at Ami, who shook her head.

"Before you go, if there's anything you can tell me, please do," Ishida said.

Usagi and Ami glanced at one another before looking back at him.

"That's all I can really say," Usagi said.

"I think that's it," Ami added.

Ishida sighed. He didn't like that there was obviously more to this, but wasn't being told. He regarded Usagi again, very sternly.

"Miss Tsukino, is that really all? If there's something you're not telling me, it could jeopardize both more innocent lives and this entire investigation. If you know more concerning the fate of the creature that did all this, please tell me."

"I don't know what really happened to it!" Usagi cried. "Really! I watched it turn to ash or dust, or whatever, but it also got right back up after Makoto snapped its neck back in the house."

Ishida nodded.

"Alright, Miss Tsukino, you can wait for your family in the lobby," he said. "If we need to contact you again, we'll be in touch. Miss Mizuno, just let me get a few things in order and then we'll try to get in contact with your mother again. If we can't, I'll take you home."

"Thank you," Ami said.

Usagi got up and left the office, leaving Ami and Ishida alone. She went out into the lobby and sat down on a bench against the wall near the front entrance. She said nothing to anyone.

Before long, Ishida and Ami walked by. Ami waved to her as they went, and Usagi returned the gesture. Now Usagi was truly alone here in this strange place, and she sadly watched them go. Ami looked back at her and then said something to Ishida, who shook his head. He opened the passenger side door of his car and she got in. He got into the driver's side and they were off.

While Usagi continued looking out of the glass panels, she spotted someone approaching. She smiled and stood up. Her parents had arrived. They had just reached the top of the concrete streets at a jogging pace. Ikuko's face lit up as soon as she saw Usagi, like a prayer had been answered.

She pointed, which got Kenji's attention. The Tsukinos dashed into the station and held their eldest by a shoulder each.

"You're alright. Oh, thank Kami!" Kenji muttered, relief washing over him.

He took a step back and bent over slightly, resting his hands on his knees, catching his breath.

"Oh, Usagi, I was so scared when the police called and said there had been an incident!" Ikuko cried.

Ikuko hugged Usagi tightly to her.

"Oof! Mom! I'm fine!"

"Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. Tsukino," a policewoman greeted.

The family turned to face her.

"Oh, hello," Kenji replied. "What happened out there? Who tried to hurt our little girl?"

"Not 'who', Mr. Tsukino, 'what'," she spoke. "Your daughter was involved in an attack by a big, wild cat. We suspect it might have escaped from a zoo. We're looking into it as I speak."

Kenji's jaw went slack. Ikuko gasped. Usagi stared at the officer incredulously.

"But, she was over at Naru's…" Ikuko said.

"What?" Usagi mouthed.

She was too shocked to speak. Had that Ishida written down a bald faced lie of a report?

"And I let him take Ami with him," Usagi whispered, suddenly very frightened for her friend.

She looked back out into the city.

Behind her, the policewoman explained her version of the events. Usagi looked back at them. A rabid cat, indeed!

"And that's about all I can tell you, I'm sorry," the officer shrugged.

"I understand, thank you," Kenji said.

"Excuse me, but will you need our daughter for anything else?" Ikuko asked.

She gave Usagi a worried and pitying look before turning back to the woman.

"Oh, no, we're done with the initial questioning. Just give us a call if she remembers anything else about the incident. Oh, yeah and here…"

She reached over to one of the objects she held and gave it to Kenji. It was Usagi's book bag.

"We recovered these from one of the upstairs bedrooms. We're not holding them as any sort of evidence, so they will all be returned to their proper owners as soon as possible."

The Tsukinos left the station. Usagi climbed into the back of her parents' car, and pondered what had just happened most of the way home. Either Ishida was aligned with Luna in some way, or he was working with that monster. Or maybe even Phantom Mask. Even if he was supposedly on her side, could he be trusted? Usagi wasn't sure if she wanted to be involved in something that involved rewriting and committing fraud on a police report regarding an incident where at least five people had been murdered.

Noticing their daughter's unusual silence, Kenji and Ikuko exchanged concerned looks. They knew that what had happened tonight must really have affected her. When they got home, Usagi went right up to bed. As she passed Shingo's room in the hall, the door opened and her little brother peaked out.

"Hey, Usagi, are you okay?" he asked. "The cops called. What happened?"

"Later, Shingo. Later," Usagi said wearily.

She went into her bedroom and got ready for bed. She showered and pulled on her pajamas. She set the now bladeless hilt of her newly acquired double-sword onto her dresser. She looked at it closely. Had any of this been real? It all still seemed like something straight out of a shojo manga to her, completely unreal.

Someone knocked at her door.

"Come in," she said.

Her mother came in.

"Honey, I just wanted to check on you. How are you feeling?"

"Shaken, but I'm okay. Will I have to go to school tomorrow?"

"Yes, I'm afraid. Unless you were hurt by that thing, you know we can't afford to have you missing any school."

"Oh, fine! Geez, no rest for the wicked, huh, Mom?" Usagi complained, huffily.

"You know I don't mean it like that," Ikuko said calmly. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"Maybe later," Usagi yawned. "I'm tired."

"Alright, then, but anytime you want to talk it out, I'm here. Good night, Usagi," her mother said, comfortingly.

"Good night, mom."

Ikuko flipped off the light switch. Usagi climbed under the sheets and closed her eyes. She found no rest. She was worried about Makoto. If what Luna said was true, then her wound was only going to get worse, but what could be done about it? Usagi heard another tapping at the window. She furrowed her brow, trying to ignore it and turned over.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Finally, she groaned and rolled over, facing the window. There was Luna sitting at her windowsill in cat form, rapping on the glass with her paw. How did she keeping finding her?

Usagi sluggishly climbed out of bed and pulled the window up.

"Luna? What are you going here?"

"I had to see you again, Usagi. We have to straighten out a few things."

Luna hopped onto the floor. She still had a limp, but at least the wound was closed now and actually looking a little better. Usagi stared in surprise at the quick healing.

"I thought wounds from that thing just got worse," Usagi uttered.

She pulled the window shut again and pulled the drapes closed.

"Unless treated, they do," Luna said. "We suspected that thing was doing its work in the area, so we had specially made medicine brewed that counteracts the effects of The Rake's Curse."

Usagi's eyes widened. She got down on a knee to be more at Luna's level, and starting gesturing madly towards the skyscrapers in the distance.

"You need to get some over to the hospital right now!" Usagi said, hurriedly. "Mako was badly hurt to begin with; I don't even want to imagine how bad those slashes are now."

"You don't need to worry about your friend," Luna said reassuringly. "We already treated her with the cure."

She hopped onto the foot of Usagi's bed and started walking around in a circle to make a spot to sleep on.

"Thank goodness. …Wait. We?" Usagi asked. "Who is 'we'?"

"The Keepers," Luna replied, matter-of-factly.

"The Keepers? Just who are you, anyway, Luna? What are you? Why can you turn into a person, or turn into a cat? Uh, which is it?"

"I'm a girl who can turn into a cat."

"Alright, but who are these Keepers? What was that thing? What's going on? Why did I change into a super Amazon warrior babe?"

"Well," Luna started uncertainly.

Her feline ears went flat against her head while she tried to find the right words.

"I don't really know anything for certain, but you must be related to the previous owner of that Armor, somehow. When I awakened the sleeping power in your blood, it came to you. I sensed that potential in you from the first moment I met you and your friends on the street."

"Alright, got it, I'm a distance relative of some Awesome Warrior Chick," Usagi replied, still very confused. "So who was the previous owner and what does she have to do with anything that happened tonight?"

"Listen, Usagi, would you be opposed to meeting the rest of my compatriots tomorrow?" Luna asked.

"Huh? Well, I guess not. Sure. Why?"

"Well, I think it'd be best if we all explained it together. I'll pick you up after school."

Usagi thought about it for a moment, but then came to a decision. She pressed her finger to Luna's nose and spoke.

"Alright, but no lies. No more "not-telling-me" anything?" Usagi asked.

"We'll tell you everything. Absolutely everything we can," Luna replied. "I promise."

"Alright. So… do you have anywhere to sleep tonight?"

"Well..." Luna muttered. "Not really. I just arrived in the city yesterday after detecting several irregular energies, yours' included. I've been on the hunt for the last 24 hours."

"Geez, no wonder you must ready to drop! Alright, you can sleep at the foot of my bed, in cat form. I don't want mom coming in and seeing me in bed with another girl. That would just be too hard to come up with an excuse for."

"Can I really trust her?" Usagi wondered.

She was running to school now. She didn't really need to run this morning, having got up very early, but doing it made her feel better. It was helping her work off a lot of nervous energy.

Her mind mulled over whether Luna was really working in her best interests or not. Sure, she had saved her and given her the power to stop that monstrosity. Did she do it just to save lives, though? Were there other motives? Was she being used for something? Well, she'd just have to wait until after school to find out, Usagi supposed.

She entered the school grounds with a good fifteen minutes before the first bell would ring. Not knowing where else to go, Usagi went right to class. She scanned the halls as she went. No sign of Naru, Makoto, or Ami. It didn't surprise her. She knew she was likely to be the only survivor that would be at school that day. Usagi opened the door to her classroom while looking around one more time.

"USAGI!" several voices shouted.

"Eep!" she squeaked.

She jumped back when her classmates piled around the door and started all talking at once, asking questions. Her friends pulled her into the room and shut the door behind them.

"Are you okay after last night?"

"What kind of cat was it?"

"Did it hurt you?"

"Where's Naru and that tall new kid?"

"I was told it was a werewolf!"

"Ah! Slow down! Too many questions!" Usagi wailed.

"Hey, don't be like that," one of them said. "We couldn't get anything out of Mizuno."

"Mi-? Ami's here?"

She looked past the crowd and saw Ami sitting at her desk. She stared out a window, resting her head in her hand. So they had the same kind of Education Mom, then. Usagi looked back at the crowd standing in her personal space.

"Wait, how do you guys already know about this?" she asked.

"It was all over the newspapers," Umino said, making his usual sudden appearance.

"Wah! Stop doing that, Umino!" Usagi cried.

She looked at the headline on the paper's front that the nerd held up:

"Four Families Slaughtered In Their Homes By Escaped Zoo Leopard."

"Four families?" Usagi asked aloud.

Then she remembered, and then gasped, clapping a hand over her mouth. The paper had to be the referring to the neighbors. She thought it was odd that they didn't answer their door, and now she knew why. Tears threatened to roll down her face, thinking of them.

"Usagi, how is Naru?" one of her friends asked.

But Usagi was too lost in her thoughts of about families to answer. Finally, someone shook her shoulder, which made her jump in surprise.

"Huh?" Usagi asked, coming back to reality.

"How is Naru?" the question was repeated.

"Oh, uh, I don't know, but I'm going to the hospital after school to check on everyone," she answered.

Immediately, she was set upon by about a half dozen volunteers offering to go with her. She could only laugh awkwardly and waggle her head.

The rest of the school day seemed to go by in a blur. She found it ever harder to concentrate on anything than usual. By the end of the way, she'd been assigned several metric tons of homework which she probably wouldn't be able to do. She really wanted to talk to Ami, but the girl seemed to disappear between classes. It didn't take long for Usagi to conclude that she wanted to be left alone.

She'd just have to talk to Ami at a later time. Today, Usagi knew she had a couple of appointments to keep.

Slam! Ishida looked up at the doorway to his office, which had slung open violently. Inspector Wakagi stood there with a look that could kill. Ishida set down the pen he was using on the desk, regarding him calmly.

"Is there something I can help you with, Wakagi?"

Wakagi walked over and threw the morning paper onto his desk.

"Explain. This."

"Somehow I knew you'd be less than thrilled about the leopard story."

"Less the thrilled? You wrote the report! The girl couldn't even confirm that thing's really dead! Why are we lying to the public about a very real threat? The people of Tokyo have a right to know if there is something dangerous stalking the streets at night! If I had my way, you'd have your badge taken for this!" Wakagi shouted.

Ishida didn't even respond. Wakagi chuckled bitterly.

"I never have my way, though, no matter how many times you violate regulations. Funny, I'd almost think you were abusing connections you have somewhere higher up. Even the Superintendent can't get you out of this precinct."

Wakagi glared into Ishida's calm eyes for another moment where all was silent. Finally, Ishida spoke again.

"Are you finished, Wakagi? I have work to do before returning to the scene."

"Not quite," Wakagi said.

He put both hands on Ishida's desk and leaned in with a dangerous look.

"If the tampering you've done with the files and your official statements ever compromises the safety of the public, I won't care what the rules are, or who your connections are. No officer, inspector, superintendent, teenage girl in a ridiculous mask and sailor fuku, or even God will protect me from me. Got it?" Wakagi warned.

"Crystal," Ishida responded offhanded and without even looking at Wakagi.

He had returned to filling out his paperwork, completely unconcerned. Wakagi stiffened, as he could tell his warning wasn't taken seriously. He stepped away from the desk, shaking his head in disgust, and then stormed out of the office, slamming the door behind him.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Come in," Sakurada said.

Wakagi stepped into the office, looking like a man at the end of his rope.

"Wakagi! What's wrong with you?" Sakurada raised a brow.

"I can't do this anymore! I don't care how we do it, but we have to get rid of him!"

Sakurada's shoulders sagged and she hung wearily.

"Ishida?"

"Yes! The man is covering up evidence and lying to the people. The people we're supposed to be protecting and serving. You read the original testimony! This isn't right!"

"I have V at the scene right now. If there's still any threat of that thing, she'll know within the hour."

Wakagi opened his mouth to speak, but then shut it.

"I understand, Superintendent," he replied, knowing that he wasn't going to get anywhere at the moment.

He looked out the window of the office. Ishida was already leaving for the crime scene, having handed off his paperwork to the appropriate person. He didn't trust this Ishida, or Sailor V, yet he could do nothing about either. The superintendent had V on their damn payroll, and Ishida had connections extending far above Sakurada. He left the office, vowing to get himself reassigned somewhere far, far from them both. Antarctica, perhaps.

"Hmm," Sailor V* scratched her chin in an exaggerated manner.

She crouched down low in front of the spot where The Rake had been reduced to ash, and glanced around at the burn marks on the ground and walls. Celestial Warrior Moon's finishing move had nicked them, leaving them blackened. Next to her was a clear plastic bag of gathered ashes from the beast. A couple of feet away was the spot where the concrete was cracked from The Rake's impact falling from the roof.

"For this, I'm missing school," she muttered.

Getting to leave early on account of a 'family emergency' to come stare at the sidewalk hadn't exactly been her idea of a day off. She heard the tap of footsteps approaching from behind. She looked back and saw Ishida approaching.

"So, what are you thinking, Sailor V?" he asked.

"I'm thinking that this is definitely the spot where she killed the thing!" she said with faux excitement.

"No, really?" he asked in similarly feigned astonishment.

Then he expression turned to one of angry annoyance.

"Mina, are you taking this seriously at all?"

"What?" she asked crossly. "What's that look for, Artemis?"

"You know what it's for," "Ishida", or Artemis, replied exasperated. "So is the creature dead? Have you even used the Ethereal Energy Detection commands in your compact? You did bring it, right?"

"Oh, the EED command, right, duh," V replied.

She stuck out her tongue and tapped herself lightly on the head with her fist. Artemis facepalmed and ran his hand down his face, moaning painfully the entire time. Between Wakagi and her, he wasn't certain which one was going to drive him up a wall first.

From her skirt pocket, she took out a device that looked a like a normal compact any girl would have, but when she opened it, it was revealed to be a device of advanced technology. She tapped some buttons while looking at the screen where the mirror would normally be. She held the bag of ashes up to it. The compact's screen began displaying some kind of unearthly glow. She held the device over the burned concrete and got the same result. She looked up Artemis with a bright smile.

"Yeah, this is definitely The Rake's remains, alright," she said happily. "Can I go home yet? This shows Rakey Rake is gone, right?"

Before Artemis could answer, the image in the screen vanished. Minako looked at her compact, perplexed. She ran it back over the bag and the blackened concrete.

"That's weird," she said. "All reading of supernatural waves just suddenly went away."

"No, you can't go yet," Artemis replied.

"Aw," Minako complained. "But I was going to see if I couldn't get that cute boy over at the Gaming Center to go on a date tonight."

Artemis glanced over his shoulder to make sure no one was looking. There was a bright flash, and Minako suddenly felt a weight sitting on her shoulder.

"Come on. I have a bad feeling about this. We better go check out the other crime scenes and then the morgue," the white tomcat said.

"You're mean," Minako complained.

All the same, she dashed off towards the homes where the incident had begun.

Usagi skipped down the steps of the school towards the main gate. She shoved the homework she'd collected for Naru and Makoto into her bag. If nothing else, they'd have it when they were released. She approached the front gate, wondering if she'd have to wait for Luna.

"Hey, Usa," one of the girls called. "You ready to go see Naru and her mom?"

"In a minute," Usagi replied. "I'm meeting someone out front."

"Okay, just come by when you can."

"Oh, I will. Count on it!" she called back to them.

Usagi stepped out into the sidewalk and saw no sign of her companion. Just passers by and maybe a handful of parents that bothered to come pick up their children. Just as she was about to just take off, the motorcycle pulled up into a parking space close to her. Usagi looked at the driver, who was wearing a helmet. The person reached up and pulled off the protective wear. She shook her long hair down and turned to her. It was Luna. In all black leather gear, no less, boots, pants, jacket, and…was that a halter top? Her crescent moon tattoo was strangely missing.

"Are you quite ready to go, Usagi?" she asked.

"Yeah, yeah," Usagi replied disinterested.

She was about to sit side-saddle on the back of the seat, but then she stopped. She looked back at Luna.

"Listen, could we please stop off at Hiroo General first? I want to go check up on my friends."

Luna regarded Usagi with mild impatience.

"Sorry, but we can't. It was very difficult it was to get all the founding Keepers in one place. We don't have a moment to waste on sentimentality."

"But I have to. Please, Luna!"

"No."

Usagi gave Luna a defiant look. She huffed and jumped off the bike. Then she started walking towards the nearest bus stop.

"What…? Hey, get back here!" Luna demanded.

"You little club will just have to wait," Usagi replied stubbornly. "I'll go see them when I get the time, but its my fault Naru and Makoto were even there last night, so I have to go make sure they're okay."

Luna face-palmed, letting out a sound that started as a frustrated moan that turned into a growl a bit too feline for a human. Her hand fell from her face as she swiveled her head a bit and rolled her eyes in annoyed resignation. She put the helmet back on and started up the motorbike again.

She pulled up beside Usagi again and rolled slowly next to her as the girl walked.

"Oh, alright, but make it quick," was all she said.

"That's more like it," Usagi responded with smug satisfaction.

She hopped on side saddle again and put on a spare helmet that was clipped to the back.

"Hang on, we can't lose any time," Luna warned.

"What does that me-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaugh!"

The bike was off like a shot weaving through the traffic at dangerous speeds, and Usagi screaming in terror all the way. She clung to Luna with a vise-like grip, blubbering and crying all the way.

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!" she shrieked.

She let out another as Luna ramped off a bridge and onto the road it passed over. Finally, they were at the hospital.

"Alright, let's go," Luna said.

She pulled into a parking spot and stopped the engine. She tried to get up, but Usagi and her grip on her wouldn't budge. She looked at the girl irritably.

"Usagi, stop messing around, we…" she stopped dead.

The girl was frozen in place with a mortified expression and wide eyes that stared out at nothing. Luna sighed.

"Okay, maybe I overdid it a little…" she admitted.

The nurse looked up when the automated double doors slid open. In walked two young women, a blonde with dumpling buns in a school uniform who had still be in junior high and a raven head in biker gear that might be 20 or so. The younger was being supported by the elder on wobbly legs, a trembling body with her arms drawn in close, and terrified eyes at that stared off into space. They approached the front desk.

"Scary… scary…" was all the blonde kept repeating.

"May I help you?" the nurse asked.

"My little sister is here to see her friends. A Miss Naru Osaka and a Miss Makoto Kino," Luna replied, politely. "I just drove us over and…"

"Never again… never again…." Usagi whimpered.

Luna bit her lip and then smiled sheepishly, letting out a nervous laugh.

"Rooms 2-4 and 2-6, second floor," the nurse replied.

Luna uttered a thanks and dragged Usagi towards the stairs.

"Hey," the nurse called after them.

"Yeah," Luna replied, sounding tired.

"I'm not going to be seeing either of you later in the E.R., I am?"

Luna forced a laugh.

"No."

"Well, Mrs. Osaka, you're definitely going to have a stay a few more nights," Dr. Amagawa said. "I definitely want to keep those wounds in sterile conditions and under close observation for the time being. But, you should be out by Friday if all goes well."

"I understand," Mrs. Osaka responded meekly.

She could feel the bandaging and stitching under her hospital gown. She looked at the curtain dividing her and Naru's beds.

"What about Naru?" she asked.

"Your daughter," Amagawa said, sliding the divider back.

"Is free to go," he finished.

He turned to Naru.

"You only suffered a nasty hit on the head and a few other nasty bruises and minor cuts. We were afraid we'd have to keep you longer, too, but that specialist that came in really did some amazing work."

"That's great, doctor," Naru exclaimed.

"There's just one thing," Mrs. Osaka said. "Don't you remember, Naru? The house is a crime scene and closed off until tomorrow. You'll have to spend the night at my sister's. She already offered to take you in when she was here earlier."

"I don't want to be alone in that house again, anyway," Naru replied with fear. "I'll just call Aunt Miku so she'll come pick me up. Hey, Mom, I'll make sure to visit you every day after school until you come home, okay?"

"You don't have to do that. You have a life to live," her mothered replied.

"Oh, you wouldn't be troubling me any, Mama, if that's what you're worried about," Naru said back.

"Naru?"

All eyes turned to Usagi as she approached. She looked worried. When she saw her friend smiling, she breathed out in relief and smiled as well.

"Usagi! You're okay!" Naru said greatly relieved.

She sat up in the hospital bed and the two hugged tightly.

"I'm okay? What about you?" Usagi asked with concern.

"I'm free to leave, but I'm going to stay my aunt's for a while," Naru replied.

"That's great, I didn't think they'd let you go so quickly."

"Well, they were worried that I might get some kind of cat scratch fever or something, but that never happened," Naru shrugged.

"Cat scratch," Usagi cried disbelieving.

She looked back at Luna with a glare. The other woman just stared back unrelenting with her arms crossed.

"Or rabies," Dr. Amagawa added. "We did blood tests, and thankfully, there's no sign of disease. Now we're just hoping the zoo that animal came from isn't this careless with all their dangerous animals."

"…Yeah," Usagi forced out gloomily.

"How did you escape?" Mrs. Osaka asked. "That beast somehow made its nest in our basement and from what I heard it chased you down the street! Oh, and those poor men."

Mrs. Osaka closed her eyes and turned her head away, very sorrowfully.

"You can thank her," Usagi pointed to Luna.

"Really?" Naru and her mother asked, impressed.

"Heh," Luna awkwardly scratched the back of her head. "I…hit it with my motorcycle."

"I don't think we've ever seen you before. Who are you?" Naru asked.

"Tsukino. Luna Tsukino. I'm a relative of Usagi's that's visiting for a while," Luna replied. "I was on my way over to take Usagi home when I literally ran into them."

"Well, thank goodness," Mrs. Osaka replied.

"Usagi, what's wrong?" Naru asked.

She had noticed that the normally sunny girl had gone quiet and currently wore a distressed look on her face ever since they mentioned the leopard. Usagi turned to her and forced a big smile and giggled extra hard the way she always did when she wasn't telling the truth.

"Oh, nothing," Usagi insisted. "I'm still just shaken, that's all."

She looked at Naru's unconvinced stare.

"That's it, really," Usagi nodded her vigorously.

"Alright," Naru replied dubious. "You know I'll just get the truth out of you later."

She pressed Usagi's nose with her finger to punctuate the point. Both girls burst out laughing.

"I'm sorry to cut this short, but you'll have to excuse us," Luna spoke up. "Usagi and I have some things that we need to do. You said you were also checking up on the Kino girl."

"Oh, I guess I'll see you later, Naru. Oh, and here's some homework Mr. Haruna handed me to give you," Usagi said.

"See you tomorrow," Naru replied, trying to sound chipper.

Usagi and Luna walked over to the room where Makoto was being treated.

"I can't believe you!" Usagi hissed at Luna. "Not only do your people tell lies in the news, but you actually brained-washed my best friend and her Mom!"

"It had to be done," Was all Luna said in response.

"Oh, really," Usagi asked. "How so…?"

"We can discuss this when meeting The Keepers. Go talk to your other friend."

Usagi gave Luna one more displeased stare before going into Room 2-6. She pulled back the drape a bit and beheld the sleeping form of the girl that had saved her thrice the day before. Seeing her so vulnerable now was an unwelcome turnabout.

She stepped into the little room of curtained walls and sat down by the other girl. Usagi swallowed hard and opened her mouth to speak.

"M-Mako?"

Makoto remained asleep. Usagi mustered a little more courage and tried again.

"Makoto," she said more loudly.

Makoto's brows wrinkled and she moaned. She shifted her weight slightly. Her eyes opened a crack and she blinked, making her vision come into focus. Her head turned her head to look at Usagi. It took a moment for comprehension to cross her features.

"Oh, it's you," she said softly.

"Hi, Mako," Usagi greeted smiling. "How are you?"

"Fine, I guess."

"How long will you be staying?"

"Don't know, but the doctor said that stupid cat really messed me up."

Usagi felt her stomach churn at those words. Makoto lifted herself up by her arms.

"Here, let me help you," Usagi offered.

She stood up and supported Makoto in sitting up slightly. Then she put another pillow under her lowered her back down.

"Thanks," the brunette said.

"H-Hey, what're friends for? Besides, I owe you big," Usagi replied.

"Yes, you do," Makoto replied, though good-humored.

"How bad it is," Usagi asked.

Makoto chuckled quietly before answering.

"I got slashed by a leopard. It's pretty bad. Well, that's what I get for picking a fight with a big tabby. My choice, though."

She looked Usagi from head to toe.

"Are you okay?" Makoto asked.

"I'm just great. The big kitty never got a chance to hurt me at all," Usagi assured.

Makoto smiled, pleased that her taking the bullet didn't make for a useless sacrifice.

"I'm glad," the tomboy said, earnestly.

She lied back and shut her eyes. Usagi glanced over her shoulder and peaked through the drape. Luna was standing out in the hall, not even paying attention. So she turned back to Makoto. She breathed out heavily and started tangling her hair around her index finger nervously.

"Hey, Mako?"

"Mm?"

"What do you remember from last night?"

Makoto looked at Usagi strangely.

"We went over to Naru's to study when we got attacked by a big nasty feline. Why?"

Usagi looked away and mulled over her words.

"Is that…really all?"

Makoto blinked.

"Yeah, why?" her confusion was evident.

"Oh, nothing," Usagi smiled. "Forget I said anything. Well, look at the time. I've got to be going. I'll be back soon, Mako. Seeya! Oh, yeah, here! This is the homework I brought for you from school. Here, it might help you pass the time. Uh, seeya later!"

Usagi ran off, leaving behind a very confused Makoto with a lap full of homework. Usagi approached Luna.

"Let's go," was all she said.

A/N: Please R&R!

Ugh. Oh man, I can't believe I wrote a whole chapter with no action. Well, I promise to make up for it with the next one. The story's pace is going to pick up very soon, Scout's Honor.

* Sailor V's uniform is that same as it was in the original Codename: Sailor V and Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon.
Sign up to rate and review this story