Categories > Original > Fantasy

Divinis

by NicoleTray 0 reviews

Amaya was not supposed to know the Divinis. Her life was turned upside down when she was five, when her father came home Cronus. She was saved by Dante the Enduring First Earthly Representative of ...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2017-08-27 - Updated: 2017-08-27 - 10190 words

0Unrated
Prologue

Dante glanced around the underground garage, eradication squad five was surrounded. He had mistakenly believed he could lead the Cronus into a trap, but it was him, and eradication squad five that were ambushed.

The pylons supporting the building couldn’t be compromised, if they were, the apartment building above the garage could collapse, killing all humans in the building. No matter what the cost, Dante couldn’t allow that to occur. Even if it cost all of them their lives, the humans had to be protected.
Eradication team five was comprised of three other Divinis, and two humans. The battle so far had killed one human, and two of the Divinis; only Jaquelin, Anthony and himself were left. Dante was the only elemental on the team, and couldn’t utilize his element to its fullest extent.
As a group of Cronus attacked him from the right, they made a grave error, there was no pylon behind them. Finally, he had an opening. Dante summoned his beloved wind, compressed it into a thin blade, and directed it towards the group intent on slaying him.
The narrow blade of wind blasted into them, he heard their screams resonate off the walls as it sliced them in half. A vicious smile spread across his face as he watched their ashes blow everywhere, filling the air. Eight more down, forty or so left to go.
Dante heard a woman scream from his left, and whipped his head around, the blood drained from his face as he took in the scene on the far side of the garage. Jaquelin, the only human left of the squad, has been infected, and the Cronus who managed it, was picking her up off the ground, intending to throw her into the piling located behind her. Dante opened his hand, pulled his fingers into a fist, and crushed the head of the Cronus. The Cronus’s body turn to ash before it even hit the floor.
“Anthony cover me.” Dante ordered, not bothering to look back to ensure his order was followed. He moved at lightning speed to Jaquelin, stopping just short of her. Her dark terrified eyes locked with his; both aware there was no hope. Both realizing she would die.
Jaquelin swallowed hard, trying to fight the fear snaking around her and seeping into her soul. “Dante, do it…. Just do it. My parents need a body to bury. Please Dante, don’t let me become Cronus and turn to ash.”
Dante embraced the woman he had known and fought beside for eight years. He closed his eyes, his chest felt tight like someone was gripping it, trying to destroy his heart. He swallowed hard, opened his eyes and said. “Hold my gaze Jaquelin, and don’t look away.”
“Will it hurt?” She asked looking up at him wide eyed, trembling, and fighting the tears that were threating to come.
“No.” Dante entered her mind, he couldn’t save her, but her death could be painless.
Jaquelin found herself standing by Date in a field of flowers, the day was bright and sunny, butterflies fluttered from one flower to the next. She closed her eyes and inhaled the sweet fragrance of the wildflowers that filled air. “It’s beautiful here.”
Dante cleared his throat striving to ensure his voice didn’t crack. “I thought you would like it.” Dante said, hugging her, so she wouldn’t see the twisted expression of pain on his face.
“Thank you, Dante.” She wasn’t afraid anymore, she felt tranquil in his embrace as the flowers disintegrated around them, and the world disappeared.
Dante backed out of Jaquelyn’s mind a millisecond before she died. He ground his teeth together fighting the grief trying to overtake him, as he pulled his finger out of the back of her skull. He had crushed her cerebral cortex while she was in the field of flowers, extinguishing her life.
Hearing echoes of screams behind him, he turned, the last Divinis of his squad just turned to ash, all of squad five were dead except him. From the corner of his eye, he seen a Cronus he recognized fleeing the area. His face turned ashen, he knew where that particular Cronus was heading.

Dante had to end this quickly….




Chapter One
Destruction
Later that day

Amaya was playing with her fashion dolls. She dressed her blonde-haired, blue eyed doll in the white wedding gown her mom had made. She cherished this dress. When her mom made it for her, she had drawn several wedding dresses and Amaya pick out the sketch she preferred; is if it was her own wedding gown. She loved the way the top white silk turned into white tulle layers from the waist to the floor and shimmered. Her doll even had white high heels, making the dress look more elegant. Her black-haired, brown eyed doll didn’t have a proper suit yet, but it didn’t matter. His deep blue bright red swim trunks were fine with her. He could get married in swim trunks because after the ceremony they were going to the beach. They always had their honeymoon in the bathtub with her; swimming and having fun.

Amaya sat on the polished oak floor in the living room with golden summer light spilling over her and her dolls. She enjoyed this room the most; even more than her own bedroom. The window was wide and tall with three large panels on the bottom forming a rectangle than rounded at the top into an arc containing three more panels forming a half circle. No matter what season, this room was filled with light. The living room was open and airy with two overstuffed hunter green suede sofas. One located off the right side of the window, the other on the opposite wall. The paintings of cottages, flowery fields and bridges over water on the cream-colored walls gave the room an even more welcoming glow. The room was finished off with two round oak side tables holding vases containing floral bouquets and a long oak coffee table placed on a burgundy rug with dark green vines and leaves wrapping around the outer edge.

Amaya repositioned herself, tucking her light-yellow summer dress under her knees and prepared for the wedding. She held both dolls close to her side humming the wedding march. She moved the girl doll in her left hand and boy doll in her right, they rounded the aisle in the church around her knee until her happy couple stood in front of her. She was the girl doll and her Daddy was the boy doll. She wanted to marry her Dad when she grew up. She loved no one on this Earth as much as she loved her Daddy.

Amaya was all smiles; her Daddy would arrive home tonight from his business trip. She couldn’t wait for him to get here! Dad always brought her a present when he came back from a trip. Last time he brought a handmade wooden dollhouse, but didn’t give it to her until he teased her and told her he forgot to get her something. After much tickling and teasing he had given her the doll house now residing in her room. She had gotten out of bed many times after being tucked in to play with it. She became lost in her thoughts of marriage, and gifts her father would bring. Her mind quickly flickering from one to the next, attempting to guess what wonders he would bring her today.

Cynthia watched her daughter playing with her toys, a smile spread across her face. Amaya was the light of her life. She was a pretty little girl. True, it’s vain taking so much pride in how beautiful her daughter is. Who could disagree? Amaya had light brown hair with natural highlights of blond from light to golden laced through her curly shoulder length hair. Her eyes were large and dark gray mixed with blue, framed by thick long black lashes. Her cheeks had a natural dusty pink with a pert little nose spattered with a few freckles; accompanied by naturally red and full lips. Like most five-year-old’s’, her face was round, with a chin in perfect balance with her features.

Amaya beautiful on the inside as well. Many times, Cynthia had amazed by her daughter’s kindness and generosity. More often than not, Amaya gave her entire allowance to charities collecting money for sick children in the stores they shopped. If a child in her class being bullied, she was first to stand up for the child. She often brought home wounded animals that ended up being taken to the vet and nursed back to health until they found them a loving home. Amaya was the most wonderful, giving, loving, and contented child any parent could ever dream of having.

I’m truly blessed. Cynthia thought, as she headed to the kitchen. My life isn’t perfect but it's as close as anyone can ever hope to get. Supper would be late tonight, and she needed to make Amaya a snack to tide her over until John arrived home. This was one of the rare exceptions she made to Amaya’s bed time. The thee of them always had supper together when John arrived home from his business trips. Between supper and the hours John would play with Amaya, it would be a long night. They were so close, John was Amaya's favorite person in the world, and she had him wrapped around her little finger. He’d be home around 7:00 pm tonight, and Cynthia looked forward to having him home. She has missed him as well.

After a few hours, Cynthia was fiddling with the silver necklace, rolling it between her thumb and forefinger. She glanced at the clock again. It’s 8:07 p.m. where is he? John was never late. He would sometimes show up early, but never late. She could not help but wonder if the worst happened, as she glanced again at time willing him to walk through the door.

Mommy was concerned, and Amaya knew it; Daddy had not arrived yet. She knew her dad was indestructible, nothing could harm him. Completely unconcerned She tried not to drift off to sleep on the davenport by the window. It was 9:00 pm, and she had played herself out. Her mom had brought her a feather pillow and her favorite fuzzy pink blanket to snuggle in until Daddy returned home. It was summer, so she didn’t need the blanket, but she rarely slept without it. It had been a present from her Dad to help her sleep when he was away. She stroked the soft material against her cheek, trying to fight off the sleep threatening to overtake her. She imagined what her father would bring her as she fought to stay awake, then she heard the front door open.

Daddy! “Amaya jumped off the couch discarding the pink blanket and ran toward her dad who had just entered the living room. She tried to jump into his arms, but he didn’t lift them. His white dress shirt was drenched in blood. John’s light gray business suit was ripped and torn all over with the left arm of the jacket completely missing. The legs of his gray dress pants were tattered with blood and ground in dirt all over.

Amaya peered up at him, her heart beating quickening. “Daddy, are you okay?” His face had blood smeared across his chin and left cheek. There were smudges of dirt and dried blood across his forehead; he had tiny pebbles imbedded in his forehead as if his face had been run across the ground. John’s short auburn red hair was matted with blood and dirt. A dried bloody trail beginning at the top right side of his head ran down his temple over his neck and into his bloody collar. “Daddy?” She asked in a soft trembling voice.

Not bothering to answer her, John glared at Amaya with hostility and rage radiating from every part of his body and growled at her.

When Amaya looked at his eyes, they were jade green. She gasped feeling a sense of danger and backed away from him several steps. Daddy had hazel eyes, not jade green. This man looked like her dad, but he couldn’t be her Daddy. He’s never look or behaved like that, he was considerate kind, and always joyful. This man standing in front of her was filthy, saturate in blood, and looked cruel.

“Amaya, get away from him now!” Cynthia’s panicked voice rolled over her causing goose bumps to run up Amaya’s arms.

Amaya didn’t move, she heard the fear in her mother’s voice and froze. Her mother had never sounded like that before. "Daddy?”

Cynthia ran across the living room placing herself between John and Amaya, her arms spread wide protecting and shielding her daughter. God willing, she’d manage to at least hold him at bay. She knew there's no chance she could ever win a battle against him. She knew exactly what was, John had become a Cronus and she couldn’t save him. The best she could do was try to protect Amaya. She knew there was no way she was getting out of this without being infected also. He wasn’t just going to let her stay human. Cronus always infected their family first. Will the company figure out I’m infected before I can reach Dante with Amaya? Will I have enough time to save her? If infected, will I be able to keep myself from attacking Amaya? She asked herself as she tried to think of a plan. In the past, she used to hunt Cronus, exterminating them. She walked away from that life to become a mother. If it was only her, she might have been able to get away, but escape was impossible with a child in tow. Cynthia didn’t care if she sacrificed her life, she’d do anything to insure Amaya lived.

“Run!” Cynthia yelled with her back still to Amaya, facing John's full wrath.

“Run? You tell my daughter to run away from me?” Johns face twisted in fury as he spat the words out like they were poison. “You knew Cynthia, this entire time, you knew!” He grabbed her by her upper arms and lifted her off the floor bringing her eye level.

Cynthia tried to pretend she didn’t understand what he was talking about. “Knew what?” A thin layer of sweat covered her face as she attempted to control her fear and the bone crushing pain his grip was causing her. She tried to force her face to remain blank staring into his eyes with what she hoped looked like innocents.

“Don’t act like you have no idea what I’m talking about!” John threw Cynthia across the room as if she weighed nothing.
Cynthia landed on the floor skidding across it, barely missing the coffee table. The wind was knocked out of her. Fiery pain bursting through her back making her feel like she would pass out with every breath. Disorientated, she fought to get control of her mind and reorient herself.
Cynthia tried desperately to convince herself it would be okay. It had been a long time since a Cronus was in the city. Although she knew it was likely that the company had no idea that she or any of the humans were in danger, she held on to a small thread of hope that someone from the company would know there was a Cronus outbreak happening. Please God, she prayed, please help me hold him off. Please help me save Amaya. Please God, have someone from the company come soon.

“Was I a means to an end? Is that all I was to you? You knew, and you never told me. You wanted to be a mother so desperately you would hide the truth? Was I the most convenient man around for you to play house with?” John lifted her off the floor and shook her, causing her head to snap back and forth violently. His hands holding her upper arms squeezed tightly, pain radiated up and down her arms like sharp knives. Her vision burring and grew dark from being shaken.
Cynthia struggled to see, as the pain caused her to want to lose consciousness. “John, it wasn’t like that! I quit working for the company because I fell in love with you.” Her mouth dry, she swallowed hard. The hopelessness of the situation, and the pain of being crushed in his grasp, making it hard to focus her mind. “Yes, I wanted to be a mother, but you wanted to be a father also…remember? All I ever wished for was for us to live in peace together. I didn’t tell you about the company because I was not allowed.” She whimpered as John squeezed her upper arms even tighter. He is going to break my arms, and I will not be able to fight back, she thought.

A twisted wicked grin stretched across his face showing extended fangs where his canine teeth should be. “So, you chose to lie to me about everything?” He shook her repeatedly. “Who you are? What your job was and neglected to mention my life and Amaya’s life could possibly be in jeopardy?” Rage dripped off every word as he continued. “Look at me! I’m not even human anymore!” He shook Cynthia once more, savoring the pain he was causing her. He delighted in her weakness and her panic; it was intoxicating.

Cynthia would say anything to protect her daughter and appease him. “John, please. I never imagined this would happen. This entire city is a safe zone for Divinis. There has not been a Cronus outbreak in years! I had no reason to think you were in danger!” She tried to remember where she had her weapons hidden as she attempted to sooth him. If she could get her hands on one of the knives or the gun maybe there was a chance.

“You lie!” John shouted. He turned and threw Cynthia again, this time into the dining room. Her body collided with the wooden floor and rolled until it hit a chair on the outside of the table.

Amaya saw nothing after that. They were both out of sight, she was still standing at the entrance of the living room. She could hear her Mom pleading with her father. No longer able to distinguish the words between her mother’s garbled pleas and her father’s shouting. It was all jumbled in her head.

Amaya walked in a daze toward the dining room. This isn’t happening. Daddy and Mommy were always cheerful and laughing. Dad was so gentle with Mommy. This can’t be real. She moved to the edge of the living room area, heart racing. She plastered her body on the living room side of the wall and peered with only one wide eye into the dining room.

The dark Cherrywood chairs around the table were knocked over, the glass on the matching Cherrywood china hutch was destroyed. Daddy had her Mommy pinned to the dining room wall, his hands above her elbows, with her feet hanging 4 inched off the floor. Her mother’s head was bowed like she wasn’t conscious, her light brown hair dangled over her face in a tangled mess, blood flowed down her left arm making a stream over her dad’s hand. Her arms were covered in nasty looking bruises.

“Daddy stop! you’re hurting Mommy!” Amaya started to cry, anguished wails echoed through the house. Huge tears streamed down her face as her body trembled.
Cynthia’s head snapped up, she’d nearly lost consciousness until she heard her little girl’s plea. She turned her head, and glanced over at Amaya, desperation caused her voice to crack “Amaya run!” Blood poured out of her mouth from biting her tongue when John had shaken her. Her eyes were swollen, ugly dark blue bruises were forming. Her cheek was bruised and a bloody trail streaked from her eyes to her chin and down her throat. It looked like she has cried blood. Her battered and bruised face was unrecognizable.

John heard Amaya’s voice and snapped back into reality. He glanced over at her retreating back as she did what her mother instructed her to do. No, he wouldn't harm her, but he had no intention of permitting to her escape him ether. Even if she went to the neighbor’s house, he could find her, he could track her scent. He’d follow her the end of the Earth if necessary. He intended to make her into a Cronus.

Amaya turned and ran into the living room, searching for a place to hide. She scooted herself behind the hunter green sofa. She sat down, pulled her knees up to her chest tucking her head between her knees, trying to become smaller. Eyes squeezed shut, covering her ears she prayed, please don't let him find me.

John did nothing to try and control the hostility. “You’re not worth it. The best punishment for you is knowing I have given Amaya this special gift. Amaya and I will leave and you'll spend the rest of your short miserable human life wondering where she is.” His voice was etched with so much scorn, it was like he has pour acid into the air.

“John no!” Cynthia’s ragged voice was scarcely a whisper. “If you infect her, you will turn her into a child Cronus, she will lose her mind and go insane.” She pleaded with him, tears running down her face, “If you want your pound of flesh, kill me, infect me, beat me till there's nothing left, but please don’t infect her!” She knew, if John made good this threat, not only would Amaya go insane, but sooner or later they would be captured, and the Divinis would have no choice, they would kill Amaya, they would have to.
John lowered his mouth to her throat letting his fangs, every so lightly, rest on the delicate flesh of her neck, and laughed a morbid, hollow, sardonic laugh. He knew she was terrified, feeling a surge of power as he moved his lips away from her neck. “The biggest mistake I ever made was believing the warped twisted lies spilling out of your mouth. Amaya will become like me. She and I will leave this hell hole of a city and find a place Cronus like us will be safe.”

“John please, if you ever loved me or her, listen! I’m not lying about this, please you have to believe me. She will go crazy, and there is no future for her. Amaya will be hunted and executed. There is no cure, she’ll turn violent, killing and maiming everything and everyone in her wake. Amaya will forget who she is and become a monster.” Please God, please send help soon. Please don’t let him infect Amaya. Cynthia prayed.

“I have had enough of your lies!” John pulled Cynthia away from the wall and raised her above his head, relishing the look on her battered bruised face. He gave her a hate filled twisted grin then he turned and flung her.


Cynthia felt herself flying across the room, the last thing she remembered before she lost consciousness was John turning toward the living room, as her battered and beaten body made contact with the wall, and crumbled to floor.

Cynthia and Amaya’s prayer was answered as the Divinis entered the house moving at lightning speed. He could smell the blood seeping out of the human woman, the air was thick and pungent with it. The smell of blood was so thick, he feared he arrived too late to save them. He prayed, Ishkur I’m of your blood, hear me and lend me your strength!

“Infect her and I will make your death so painful the fire of hell will seem like a cool summer day.” The man's voice revealed none of his fear, and there was no question that he was not making an idol threat, but a guarantee of suffering beyond imagination if his command was not followed.

Amaya’s eyes closed tight as she heard the new man’s voice. It didn’t sound angry, and he was not yelling. His soft voice caused goosebumps to spread across her arms, she bit her lip trying to say quiet. His voice scared her more than her fathers out of control ranting.

Within seconds Amaya heard crashing as the two men scuffled. A few minutes later her mother started to scream. The man who entered her house went flying backwards though the window.
As the huge window shattered, it left large barley attached shards of glass dangling from the sides. The glass in the top half circle were relatively unharmed, only a few cracks could be seen scattered across its smooth surface. Twenty seconds later a blast of wind struck the windows from the outside, the wind so powerful it rattled the house. The remaining glass from the window came flying into the room.

Amaya shrieked, covered her head with her arms, and braced herself for the impact.... nothing hit her. She peeked up, and saw several glass shards suspended in midair, like time had stopped right before impact. To her amazement, the fragments moved away from her and crashed to the floor a few inches from her, shattering into even smaller pieces.

John had been impelled in several places from the glass being blown back into the house. None of the gashes were critical, but without blood to help him heal, they would hamper his ability to escape this city. He made the mistake of assuming the man who entered the house was only human. The man was part of the eradication squad he and a few other Cronus had encountered a few hours ago. It has been so easy to throw him, because he arrived in such a bad state. The Divinis looked as though he was on deaths door when he entered the dining room... He now realized he underestimated him. Not only was he Divinis, he was no ordinary Divinis, he was powerful enough to control an element. That blast of wind was not a fluke, the man had conjured it, intent on impaling John with glass, killing him. He had to decide; infect Amaya and take her with him, or leave her.

The Divinis was half dead when he appeared, and the lacerations from going through the window should render him unable to move, the blast of wind was probably his only way of trying to injure me. Even if I’m not right, he should be slowed down enough... yes there was time. John convinced himself.
John yelled so loud it bounced off the walls, echoing thought the house. “Don't hide from me Amaya.” He reached over the couch and grabbed Amaya by a handful of her hair.

A steady yellow stream ran down Amaya’s legs as she lost control of her bladder while her father pulled her out from behind the couch by her hair. Amaya came over the top, leaving a wet trail in her wake. Her head exploded in pain as she was dumped on the sofa filled with shards of glass. He let go of her hair, and she lay there frozen. She trembled looking at her dad, her mouth gaped opened. His eyes were green instead of hazel. Deep inside her little body she knew this was not her dad, this couldn’t the man she loved. This man with green eyes, saturated in blood, wearing tattered clothes, was a monster.

“Don’t worry baby, I will make it all better I promise.” John’s statement was harsh and filled with disdain. He smiled a sick twisted grin at her, revealing his fangs. Amaya screamed, He picked her up by her arms, and smashed her into him. He put one arm around her lower back the other held the back of her head, forcing her head back.
Black and white dots crossed Amaya’s vision as her head erupted in pain. “Daddy!” Amaya cried out as her dad pulled her head so far back her neck became engulfed in pain. She didn't understand why her father was hurting her, or what he’d do to her. She only knew he intended to injure her even more. She squeezed her eyes shut and braced herself for whatever he’d do next.

All of a sudden Amaya was falling, in the same instant she heard glass being moved out of the way. Her little body landed on the hunter green couch, she bounced off the soft fabric, and landed on the floor. Disorientated she looked around; her dad had a knife sticking out of his left temple. She stared at him transfixed with wide horrified eyes as her father was shot several times, spiraled from the impact of the bullets, and hit the floor. Numb she watched as her father attempted to pull himself across the floor, struggling to get away. He barely made it a few inches, before, in front of her eyes, father turn to ash.

Amaya crawled on her hands and knees towards her hiding spot. Jagged glass tearing into the soft flesh. She rounded the corner of the sofa, and crawled over the pile of glass previously suspended in midair. The pain from the ripping and tearing didn’t stop her as she went blindly over the shattered glass. Not bothering to protect herself from the angry jagged wounds the glass was making in her knees, lower legs and palms. She tucked herself as far behind the couch as she could, and curled into a ball as blood flowed from her legs and hands. She could feel the burning, throbbing pain with every heartbeat. Please don't let him find me. she prayed as she hid from the man who killed her father.

Amaya stayed behind the sofa for what seemed like hours although it was only minutes. She didn't look till she heard him come back into the house. His breathing was hard, each breath sounded wet as a gurgling noise came from his chest. She positioned herself at the edge of the couch, peering through the crack between the sofa and the wall. She looked at him, the man who killed her father. His light blond hair was matted with blood, his shirt once white now drenched in blood, tattered with rips and tares. His black pants were split up one side. The man was covered in so much blood, it seemed to come out everywhere. She was only a little girl, and even she knew he sounded close to deaths door.

The man wobbled as he tried to stay standing, but failed, his body crumpled and folded over on itself as he hit the floor hard. Amaya looked at him, even in agony his face was handsome. He had soft fetchers making him appear angelic. His forehead was short with perfect blond shaped eyebrows with soft round cheeks and a square jaw. Beautiful or not, he was bleeding all over the wood floor. Amaya watched as his life was spilling out of him.

Cynthia pulled herself off the dining room floor, tears streaming down her bruised and bloody face. She had virtually no clothing left. Most of them had been torn off her by John. Her right leg was fractured, each step was shear unadulterated agony. Every short breath sending sharp twinges of pain through her broken ribs.

With significant effort Cynthia entered the living room, searching for Amaya first. Her vision burred, as she struggled to keeping conscious. She scanned the room finding a wet bloody trail starting at the front of the hunter green sofa and wrapped around it until is disappeared from view. It was oblivious where Amaya was hiding. Of all the places for Amaya to hide, this was the worst location. Shards of glass were strewn everywhere. She left herself no alternative but crawl on the jagged glass when she decided on her hiding place.

Cynthia stepped carefully trying to not cut her feet on the glass. She saw her daughter peering out from behind the sofa. With the arm that wasn’t fractured she grabbed the top corner of the couch, and pulled as hard as she could. A lightning bolt of pain shot through her body as she forced it forward, creating a crack just wide enough for Amaya to get out. As Amaya slid out from behind the furniture, Cynthia wrapped her left arm around her, struggling to picking her up. Using all her strength she dragged Amaya over the arm of the sofa, dropping the her unceremoniously on the cushion.

Amaya cried out in agony when her mom wrapped her left arm around her. As her mom dragged her over the side of the couch, the glass in her legs and hands moved, causing sharp fiery pain to explode through her legs and hands. As Amaya fell onto the couch cushion, she instinctively used her palms to brace herself, the pain from the glass being pushed farther into her hands made her cry. She felt her mom reach down and help her straighten herself.

In a dry cracked voice Cynthia tried to comfort Amaya. “I know it hurt sweetheart, but it will not hurt for long, I promise.” She didn’t touch Amaya's hand or legs. Any movement would cause more pain to envelope her daughter. Right now, she needed Amaya to calm down and continue to comfort her. When Amaya’s eyes became vacant She knew she needed to get help.

Amaya stopped crying and felt disconnected from her body. She stared down at herself, her yellow dress was covered in blood toward the bottom half, and her legs were bleeding. She examined the palms of her hands, and could see the blood running out of them. She didn't feel pain anymore, merely a weird surreal feeling making her feel calm. She watched, as her mom struggled to walk over to the man lying on the floor.


Cynthia limped to the man lying on the floor as she fought of the hazy feeling trying to overtake her. She heard his wet labored breath and feared he might not make it. She dropped to the floor on her knees by the man who killed John and saved her and Amaya. She gently lay her hand on his face, stroking his cheek with her thumb as she wept. If not for him, John would’ve most likely beat her to death, and infected Amaya. Cynthia knew this man, he was Dante the Great Sage of Wind. Of all the people to come to the rescue, it was Dante.
Cynthia focused her mind, and remember her training. Heal the Divinis of the of the squad first. Call the company. The Divinis will heal the humans when they arrive.
Cynthia gazed over at Amaya. she was covered in blood with small pieces of glass sticking out of her little legs and hands. Blood still oozing out of her injuries. From the vacant expression on her daughter’s face, it was imperative to get the suppression squad ASAP. She decided to forgo the training and call the company first. She dragged herself to her feet, and edged slowly and painfully towards her purse. Thankfully it was close, located on the sofa table by the front door. When she got there, she grabbed her phone and dialed the number she knew by heart.

“D and H Incorporated, how may I direct your call?” The voice on the other end sounded professional and Cynthia knew who it was.

“Wendy, it's Cynthia, number 26494, code C and I.” Cynthia's voice was more like a whisper, her throat swollen from being coked by John.
There was a pause on the opposite end of the line. When Wendy finally spoke she asked, “What address, how many injured, and how many Humans involved?”

“1805 Brier Ln.... three injured.... one Divinis, two Humans...Dante is critical and preservation protocol needs to be taken.” Cynthia was slowly making her way back to Dante as she answered Wendy's questions.

“Ok, the suppression team has been alerted.” Wendy's voice sounded anxious, she paused again before asking another question, “Is it possible for Dante to remain intact?”

“I don't know.” Cynthia had finally reached Dante and hung up the phone before Wendy could ask any further question. She didn't have the ability to focus on a conversation and help Dante at the same time. She fought the pain making her feel like she was going to pass out.

Did I make the wrong choice calling the company before administering aid to Dante? Cynthia wondered. The gurgling noises from Dante were worse now. His body was in a twisted position, with the back of his legs touching the floor and his upper body twisted onto its side. The back of his shirt was in tatters. She could see multiple huge, deep, jagged lacerations he had received when he went flying through the window. It looked like, on contact, large shards of glass embedded into his back. She pushed on his shoulders, trying to move him onto his back, her body screaming in protest as she struggled to move him into a laying position.

“Dante, if you can hear me, I need you to help me, please try to roll over onto your back.”

Dante's eyes opened, and his light blue eyes locked with hers, with significant effort, he rolled the top part of his body and lay on his back. His movement making the already horrendous sound of his garbled breathing more pronounced.

“Can you drink?”

“No.” Dante breathed in and exhaled, shuddering as the pain gripped him. He was too weak to extend his fangs, and at this point, he didn't know if blood would help anyway. Dante prayed he would turn to ash rather than lay dormant. If he ended up dormant, it could take years for his body to gradually heal itself.

Cynthia looked around and spotted a large fragment of glass laying on the floor within reaching distance. She grabbed it and sliced the palm of her hand with the jagged glass. She gasped when she cut into her hand as the burning sensation spread across her palm. She tipped Dante's head back, grabbed his jaw, opened his mouth, and clenched her hand into a fist. She drained a tiny but steady stream of blood into his mouth.

Amaya was sitting on the sofa where her mom had placed her. She watched her mom cut her hand and pour blood into the man's mouth. None of this phased her until watched in horror as Dante's incisors grew and turned into fangs ...they looked like her dad's. He opened his jade green eyes, and Amaya screamed. They were exactly as her dads had been when he went crazy and attempted to kill them. She tried to scramble off the couch, but was prevented from moving by an invisible force. Amaya’s horrified gray eyes locked with his jade green ones, she could not break his gaze.

“Close your eyes... sleep” he whispered gently, refusing to let Amaya break eye contact. The last thing he wanted was for her be go through more mental or physical trauma than she already had.

Amaya felt a tug at the back of her skull, as if a thread had been attached to it. She blinked, feeling compelled to obey but resisted the urge. She fought to stay conscious even though her eyes seemed like they weighed a ton.

Dante was surprised his first command was not followed. It was practically impossible for a human to disobey a command when a Divinis created a mind link. Dante commanded her anew, with much more force this time. “Close your eyes...sleep”

Amaya felt the pull of the invisible string at the back of her scull with stronger force. Not painful just more instant. It made her want to shut her already tired eyes. As her eyes were closing of their own accord, she saw Dante grab her mom’s hand drawing her arm forward until her wrist was above his mouth. The last thing she remembered before losing consciousness was her mother’s scream, as her little body slumped over.

Dante has just finished drinking from Cynthia, when the suppression squad walked through her front door. There were four in total, none of them were human, they were all Divinis. She knew this because a human was never added to a suppression squad. All the members needed to be Divinis to carry out their task. They would prevent the police from coming, modify surrounding humans’ memories, and put a barrier around the property making it impossible for anymore Cronus to cross.

Andrew was the first one through the door, he assessed the room and all the people in it within seconds. His keen mind and quick intellect allowed him to take in the entire situation almost instantly. Without saying a word, he nodded at the other three members of the team. They all knew their job and set to their task. As soon as they were finished they would go to the company and file a report. The company would watch online media to insure no video of the incident was recorded and up loaded.

Andrew moved so fast, it was difficult to see him, he disappeared out of sight. Within seconds, Andrew came back to the desolate living room. He had three glasses, one filled with his blood, the other two containing water with a small quantity of his saliva. He walked directly over to Dante, he was the first person who needed to be treated. Dante was a Sage, and if he turned to ash, or became dormant, the loss would be catastrophic, to Divinis and humans both. Human blood was good for Divinis in many ways, including healing, however, blood of another Sage was significantly more beneficial.

Drink this Cynthia.” Andrew handed her one of the glasses filled with water and his saliva, not bothering to looking at her, instead he was focused on repositioning Dante so he could drink from the glass filled with blood.
Dante drank the blood offered to him by Andrew, instantly feeling the damage in his body healing. If Cynthia had not given him some of her blood, he’d be dead. It had helped him heal the worst of the damage. She was seriously injured so he only drank a small quantity, not wanting to cause her even further damage. For the first time since he entered this house, he was sure he wouldn’t turn to ash or end up dormant. His mind now at ease knowing Cynthia and Amaya were safe, Dante relaxed, and slipped into a deep regenerative sleep.

Andrew moved over to Amaya and assessed her condition. Her dress was covered in blood, the lower part of her legs had jagged lacerations, some with glass still in them. Her tiny hands were cut and ripped with pieces of glass still in the wounds. Andrew sat on the floor beside her placing the glass of water mixed with his saliva on the floor where it wouldn't get knocked over. Andrew examined her many injuries and sighed deeply. This child not only had shards of glass stuck in her wounds, she had tiny small fragments as fine as dust imbedded in them as well. As much as he wanted to believe his assessment was incorrect, he knew it must be correct. She had been so afraid, she had crawled through glass, and her terror was so great, she wet herself.

Andrew’s aqua blue eyes eyes turned jade green as anger surged through him. Marduk as my witness, if I had been here, the filthy Cronus responsible for this child's pain, would’ve suffered in ways that would become legend. The only thing he could do now was try to remove all the glass. With any luck, the dust like fragments would come out without him having to draw it out using her own blood.

Andrew flicked his fingers and cleared the glass off the floor, creating a safe area for her to lay. He gently picked up Amaya, and repositioning her on a safe spot. He laid her on her back with her arms spread, palms up, and her legs slightly apart with her dress positioned just above her knees. Andrew kneeled beside her, placed his hands above her body, his palms facing down and brought his fingers together making a half fist. As his fingers curled, shards of glass came out of the wounds on her legs and hands. He suspended the bloody shards in the air then flicked his fingers, moving the offensive objects away from her, and dropping them a safe distance from her.

Andrew heard Amaya whimper, she was sleeping, but it was obvious she could still feel pain. Dante must not have been strong enough to put her into a deep sleep. Andrew folded his little finger and ring finger into his thumb, leaving his pointer finger and middle finger straight, and placed them on Amaya's forehead. “Sleep deep, until I awaken you.” He commanded and watched as her sleeping face relaxed completely. Amata fell into a sleep so deep she wouldn’t feel any discomfort. Once again, he placed his hands in the air above her, and curled his fingers. Same as before glass shards came out of the lacerations, this time causing blood to flow freely out of the wounded areas. Although her life was not in danger from blood loss at the moment, Andrew was still concerned. If he didn't get the glass out and the wounds healed there might be some complications with blood regeneration; even with his saliva. Human children tend to crash quickly and without warning, unlike most human adults.

Andrew decided to change tactics, the small dust like partials were not coming out as rapidly as he had hoped. He placed his hands palm up, and summoned a perfect clear kicked ball sized orb of water that hovered above his hands. With his right hand, he manipulated a small quantity of water. He directed the water to-and-fro through one wound, hoping the glass would come out with the water. It worked, the tiny glass fragment came out mixing with the clear water, turning it pink. Now certain the water would work, he directed the ball, suspending it 4 inches above her body. The ball of water expanded to the size of a beach ball turning into multiple lines of water each spaced ½ inches apart. Andrew directed multiple streams of water that looked like clear little water snakes in and out of all the injuries at once. Simultaneously pulling it all out was the safest option. The faster he cleaned her wounds, the sooner he could heal her. After a few minutes of working on Amaya's wounds, the once clear water was stained dark pink. With all remnants of glass now suspended in water, Andrew brought his palms together facing up, bringing the water together in one solid round ball. He moved his hands apart, and the water disappeared into thin air.

Now that Amaya’s lacerations were clean, Andrew sat on the floor, and tenderly picked her up, cradling her like a baby. He touched his pointer finger and middle finger to her brow, “Drink” he commanded and immediately grabbed the glass of water and pressed it to her lips. As commanded, while still sleeping, Amaya drank from the glass pressed to her lips. Within a few seconds her injuries started to heal quickly. Andrew watched as her wounds grew flesh within them, and new skin grew across the red flesh. In within four minutes she was completely healed.

Andrew was gently laying Amaya on the floor again, when Cynthia limped over to her daughter. She was still in pain, but not as much as before. When Dante drank from her, the saliva on his fangs entered her blood stream, and healed the worst of her injuries. Her ribs were most likely only bruised, and no longer broken. The fracture in her leg was healed. She only limped now due to the bruised and battered muscles in her legs.

As much as she had wanted to crowed Andrew while he was working on Amaya, she knew she’d only be in the way. Cynthia looked intently at every part of Amaya, making certain everything was healed. Although she knew Andrew wouldn't make any mistakes healing Amaya, the mother in her couldn't help but double check just in case.

Andrew's eyebrows snapped together in a frown as he assessed Cynthia's condition. She still looked like she had been though the ringer in a no holds barred MMA fight, and there was no reason for it. “Cynthia, why haven't you drank the water I gave you? It will heal you. Obviously, you didn’t get enough saliva from Dante.”

Cynthia's wrinkled her nose, and curled her lip. “I have no qualm with healing Andrew, it's just gross to drink... well basically, your spit. That is disgusting.”
“Oh, is that all? No problem Cynthia.” he went swiftly to her, looking at her with merriment in his eyes, “We can do this the old-fashioned way.” He wiggled his eyebrows up and down and puckered his lips suggestively.

“I see you haven't changed Andrew.” Cynthia attempted not to be amused by him, as the corners of her lips curled up slightly. Andrew was rarely serious unless the situation warranted it. “Besides, what would the other Divinis you brought with you think?”

Cynthia couldn't care less what the other Divinis would think, and Andrew knew it. “They would think …. lucky Divinis or Lord Andrew is the man!” Andrew replied in an over dramatic tone, a wide cheerful smile on his face.

Cynthia refused to allow herself to get roped into one of Andrews crazy moments he loved to create. “How can you be so cheerful at a moment like this? Dante is in a deep sleep, and could have turned to ash, or worse ended up dormant. Amaya was nearly turned into a Cronus, and John damn near beat me to death. What part of this makes you happy?”

The smile slid off his handsome face. “Cynthia, Dante will be regenerated completely after he sleeps for a while. You can be completely healed whenever you choose. Amaya is not a Cronus. For these reasons, I’m happy. Life for us is long Cynthia, I choose to live my life joyous and not take life to seriously. I choose to find happiness in every moment I can.” Andrew said in a matter-of-fact tone.

Cynthia stared at Andrew, she had not seen him for what seemed like forever. She had almost forgotten how attractive he was. Andrew’s long straight dark chestnut brown hair pulled into a pony tail at the base of his neck. His large soft aqua blue eyes were the prefect size for his face. His nose was straight with a bridge just the right width to add to his handsome feathers. His face was rectangle shaped complemented by high cheek bones, and full but not full lips. He was over six feet tall, with wide shoulders, adding to his model good looks. Andrew had a perfect rugged face, the kind that made women take a second then third look when he walked by.

Andrew raised one eyebrow, she had been gawking at him for nearly 30 second, and he was unsure if she was digesting what he said, or if she was heading down a path of despair again. He grinned at her, showing his perfect straight white teeth. “Going to take me up on my offer of Plan B for your healing?”

Cynthia laughed and shook her head back and forth, “No Andrew, it's tempting, but I’m afraid I will have to pass.” She thought about what she had said, and the playful manner she said it. Her husband just died, and before his death did everything he could do to cause as much misery to his family as possible. Bantering back and forth with Andrew was not appropriate at this time. She lowered her eyes staring at the floor.

Andrew bent down and made eye contact with Cynthia, forcing her to raise her head to keep eye contact with him. He tilted his head to the side slightly, his aqua blue eyes full of compassion. “Cynthia, it is ok to laugh. As much as you want to beat yourself up, this isn't your fault. John stopped existing the moment he was infected. The John you knew would never want you to look the way you look now, physically beaten, filled with guilt and shame. He adored you Cynthia, and wouldn’t have wanted you to be unhappy, even right after his death. What he would want for you, always, is your happiness.”

Cynthia's lower lip quivered, as she attempted to keep her emotions in check. The events of today, would be life lasting for Amaya, she lost her father. She was so devoted to her father, he was her rock, he was her world. She was in an induced sleep now, but soon they would have to wake her. Cynthia knew Amaya would fall to pieces when she woke. “How do I explain what transpired today Andrew? How do I explain that it was her father but not her father?” Her voice broke with emotion as the weight of the situation set in.

Andrew drew her into his arms and embraced her, stroking her back trying to comfort and sooth her. He could do nothing to fix this situation...there was no joke...no antics he could pull that would take the weight off Cynthia. Andrew’s heart was breaking as he swallowed a lump in this throat. They had known each other for several years, and she and sacrificed too much for the Divinis in the time she known them. Sacrifices she didn't even remember; memories created and other modified to protect her. The Divinis were on this Earth to protect and guide humans, until the day they evolve. However, some humans were closer to evolution then others. Cynthia was one of them, and watching her suffer yet again because of her association with and knowledge of the Divinis existence was destroying his heart.

Cynthia worked to get her emotions under control. I’m not going to cry damn it. I must be strong for Amaya. she thought struggling to overcome her despair; she tried to concentrate on this moment in time. Right here, right now, they were all safe. Most importantly, Amaya was safe, and peacefully sleeping. She couldn't allow her mind to wonder to what would happen next. She had to focus on only this one moment in time and try to take every moment as it happened. She was uncertain what would happen when they woke Amaya. With any luck, she’d take it well, but she doubted it. Only this moment, nothing more nothing less, Only this moment in time. Cynthia reminded herself, so her mind would not wander to what could happen next.

Cynthia pushed back from Andrew, and looked at him, her eyes glassy with unshed tears. “Well enough of that.” She cleared her throat and wiped the sides of her eyes. “We need to clean this place up and wake Amaya.” She didn't wait for Andrew to respond, she hobbled away, searching for the place she’d start to reconstruct her life.

Andrews hand darted out and grabbed her shoulder. “Hold it. There is no way you will be staying here. If I left you here, when Dante woke, he might possibly kill me. I believe it would be best to move you and Amaya into Dante's house.” Andrew's statement left no room for argument. If he had too, he’d take her against her will.

Cynthia knew Andrew was right. It’s dangerous here. Taking a few aimless steps, she was unsure what to do. Her well organized life had been flipped upside-down, and shook. Her mind wandered until she heard Andrew speak.

“So, Cynthia, are we playing suck face, or are you going to drink this?” Andrew grabbed the glass of water Cynthia had discarded. Although he tried to make light of it, he left no room for her to refuse. One way or the other he had to administer saliva to her. If Dante woke up, and seen her looking like this, there would be hell to pay. Even if it was by her own choosing, Dante would nevertheless be unreasonable. Andrew refused to catch the brunt end of it. Dante was a good person, but when it came to Cynthia, he could act down right human in his irrational behavior.

Cynthia looked into Andrews aqua blue eyes and realized there’s no room for negotiation. Begrudgingly she took the glass with water and his saliva. So gross She though peering down at the contents with her lip curled.
“Out of everything that transpired today, it's my saliva that is your undoing?” Andrew laughed, this was absurd, it was just some saliva and water, not pond slim. For the life of him, he would never understand humans.

Cynthia looked up from the offensive water. “To you, a Divinis, this is not gross, just something needing to be done. To me, a Human, this is drinking spit, and to us, this is disgusting.”

“And yet it will heal you, and it will taste like honey mixed with water.” Andrew reasoned pressing her to drink it.

When she didn't move to drink the water, Andrew decided he was finished with the game. “Cynthia look at me.” When Cynthia looked up, he linked his mind to hers. “Drink all the water now.” Andrew commanded.

When Cynthia's eye fastened to Andrews she couldn't look away, and she felt like a string was attached to the back of her head, pulling ever so slightly. It felt as if she had become immersed in a comfortable soothing blue light. From a distance, she heard him command her to drink all the water. In that instant, she desired nothing more in the world. She obediently brought the glass to her lips and drank. She felt bliss and peacefulness envelop her while drinking.

After Cynthia drank the water she mended at a rapid rate. The swelling in her face was gone almost instantly, and the pain lacing through her body was disappearing. She had used Divinis saliva to heal in the past, so she was not surprised by the quick recovery. However, she had never been on the receiving end of a Divinis command before. I wanted to drink it, and I liked it when I drank it she thought. She could not, for the life of her, understand why she had resisted, it healed her instantaneously.
This was the power Divinis had over Humans. When Divinis gave a command, not only did the Human follow it, all the resistance was removed even after the link was broken. Regardless of what was command, they would think it was an excellent idea. If they had any objection to the idea, they would forever think they changed their own mind.
Andrew waited for her to drink all the water before breaking the mind link. He preferred not to override humans free will. However, this had gotten ridiculous and he didn't have the time to convince her to drink the water. Marduk, humans could be so frustrating he thought as he headed for his next task, getting Cynthia some clean clothing. She had most of her cloths ripped off during the attack, now only wearing part of a tatter shirt, bra, and underwear, nothing else. He needed get Cynthia and Amaya to Dante’s house quickly.

When Cynthia left the company, everyone assumed she’d be alright. The probability of a Cronus attack in the city were exceedingly rare. The odds of Cynthia getting tangled up in an altercation with a Cronus was even less likely. Andrew didn't want to believe this was an organized attack directed at Cynthia and Amaya, but he had no option but to consider it. The likelihood of this happening was just to slim. So slim, they had opted to not place a blood barrier around her house, wanting her to appear as if she were an ordinary human. Andrew was 90% certain someone was attempting to draw Dante out into the open and murder him, and they nearly succeeded. Someone knew the connection between Dante and Cynthia. It was possible someone knew more than that.
Sign up to rate and review this story