Categories > Original > Romance > Daybreak (A hiccstrid story)

"Hiccup"

by daffodil6queen 0 reviews

Next chapter, hope you like it!

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Published: 2017-10-02 - Updated: 2017-10-02 - 3672 words - Complete

0Unrated

CHAPTER TWO: "HICCUP"


Astrid was so embarrassed and frastrated when she got to work 30 minutes into her time. So much for first impressions. She wasn't just late , she was a complete mess.
She had to wait for a delayed bus and then it started raining heavily. The day must have been cursed and thanks to Eric, she gave bad impressions to every intern in the room.
She had to wait in the freezing cold and rain and was almost convinced that this was totally not meant for her.
She could just turn around now, before things got worse but she couldn't give up now, she was going to do this, no matter what life threw at her.
Luckily she was able to get to work without missing any important lessons for the internship program and had to make up for her lateness to prove she would remain
punctual as an employee.
The internship program was great. She had always dreamed of being a part of this company and being in the building for the first time was totally overwhelming.
A group of pilots walked by her direction in the hallway. They were smartly dressed in their uniforms ready to move to their designated airports for their assigned flights.
She stared in admiration, she was going to get there...soon. The Interns were regular college graduates who met all the academic requirements.
A dark haired musclar guy, a tall blone guy and girl who were replicas of each other, probably twins. Another blonde huge guy, a muscular red haired guy,
next to him was a skinny wild brunette with fierce green eyes. The guy the administrator called ...Henry. He was in a green t-shirt that matched his eyes and a dark leather jacket.
She caught him a few times glancing towards her direction and it made her self concious. She had been used to stares from guys from her performances at the strip clubs
and high end bars but she wished all the guys in the room would drop their stares and make her feel... normal.
She was completely soaked, messy hair and her make up was probably ruined.
Her make up!
She had bruises that needed to be concealed.
Astrid searched her purse for a pocket mirror and saw her running mascara.
Yikes! No wonder she got stares from everyone.
The girl next to her noticed and passed her a face towel and soft wipes.
"Thank you" Astrid mouthed with a smile.
She gently took off the dark stains under her eyes, she looked terrible and could feel the Brown haied boy watching her closely.
"Henry!!"
She followed the stares of everyone to the face of the brunette. He was so skinny that she wondered just how much he skipped his meals.
His wild Auburn mane fell across his forehead but he pushed them away from his face revealing his green eyes.
Those green eyes...
It was probably his genes from his mother because they were...perfection. She blinked away when he caught her stare and turned foward to face her files.
She took another glance and caught the gaze of the dark-haired guy who gave her a wink. Astrid raised an eyebrow, a little irritated by his gesture.
The group stood up heading for the door and Astrid grabbed her purse struggling to pull the zipper when it fell from her grip spilling its contents to the floor.
She knelt to pick up her belongings when someone joined her, helping her pick up the contents of the purse.
She looked up, It was the dark-haired muscular guy with the creepy wink.
"I'll do it" The guy said placing the items gently in her bag.
Astrid picked up her bag and pushed her bangs away from her face "Thank you."
"It's nothing...It's Astrid right?"
"Astrid Hofferson."
"I'm Seth. Seth Lout."
"Hi.."
"I haven't seen you around, didn't see you at the orientation either."
"Oh, I just moved to Kalamazoo, I graduated from the university of michigan in Ann Arbor, I'm still kinda new here."
"Oh wow, you were one of the top nerds?"
"Valedictorian."
"Amazing....me too."
Astrid chuckled mockingly, ''Really?"
"Fine, I wasn't. Henry was the Valedictorian. Western Michigan University."
"Henry? the auburn haired guy right?"
''Yea, the helpless skinny one."
"You don't seem to like him that much huh?"
" I don't. He's a show off! his Dad is Gerald Haddock but he decided to be an Intern? what to prove he's better than the rest of us?"
"Wait, he's Gerald Haddock's son?!" Astrid asked, completely shocked. Henry was the son of Gerald? Wasn't he offered a job? Being the valedictorian should make
him a professional pilot and a member of the board so what was he doing in a post-Internship program
"He wants to work for it, not because his Dad owns the company, so he asked to be treated like a regular intern."
"Well you have to admire his humility. He doesn't even act like it."
"Well, getting to see him everyday is the worst part of this program"
"Jealous much?"
"Me? Jealous of him? I'm more of a man than he'll ever be."
Astrid rolled her eyes. "I can see that."
"So...If you aren't busy maybe we could hang out sometime?"
"I'm sorry...I'm married." Astrid said and raised the back of her palm to show her wedding ring. Married into a physically, emotionally and sexually abusive relationship.
It was definitely not something to be proud of.
''Okay...I'm sorry about that...I didn't see.."
"It's fine, but we could be friends tho."
"Yeah, sure. Friends."


**
"Hi honey!" Henry said cicking the shut down option on his macbook. He was done with his work and was exhausted.
"I'm waiting for you dear..I made your favorite grilled salmon." Heather said from the other side of the phone.
"Just what I need right now."
"Hope your'e not stressed out."
"I am...You have no idea." Henry placed his gadgets in his leather bag and locked the drawers.
"Aww..I'm so sorry. Just come home, I'll make you feel better."
Henry smiled, " Definitely looking foward to that. I'll be home in 30 minutes."
''And I'll be waiting...Love you hon."
"Love you too."
Henry zipped up his bag and left the building. Walking into the large car pack,he hit the buttons of the key to his bmw m3 sports car.
It was a gift from his Dad for being the "perfect" son. His life was always centered on making his Dad proud of him or proving himself to his father,
and with all his acheivements, nothing ever seemed to be enough. There was always something more to prove.
Right now, his head was a mess and he needed to get rest, lots and lots of it.
Henry turned the car on and drove away from the parking lot. It was still raining heavily and there was definitely going to be traffic, lots of it.
Cursing the weather, he drove into a puddle accidently splashing water on someone who stood under the rain by the bus stop.
He slammed the brakes and pulled out of the road. He had to apologise, the pedestrian was already having the worst day standing under the rain.
Henry pulled his keys from the ignition and came out of the car with an umbrella.
"Dude, what the hell?!" A voice yelled. It was a feminine voice that increased the guilt.
Henry looked up to the lady with a dark high waisted skirt, white collar shirt and messy blonde hair...Astrid.
She looked at him, a little shocked too. "Henry?"
She knew his name. Well of course she knew his name, Gobber couldn't stop scolding him and yelling out his name drawing the attention of other interns towards him.
The result of asking for no special treatments as the son of the CEO. She was out in the rain again? She'd be a warrior if she doesn't fall ill tonight.
Didn't she atleast have an umbrella? A raincoat? a car? He moved the umbrella to sheild her from the rain as he watched her shiver, she was completely soaked.
"Thank you." She said and looked away avoiding his eyes.
"I am so sorry about that. Why are you out here? Your'e gonna get sick."
"The bus got delayed...again."
"Come on, my car is over there, I'll give you a ride home."
"Oh no, you don't have to and besides the bus would be here any minute."
"Astrid I can't leave you out here. You really need to get warm, I'll give you a ride."
Astrid put her arms arouund her chest gripping her shoulders, "Thanks."
Henry led her onto the front seat of his car and pulled the seat belt across her. He fell into the drivers seat and plugged the key into the ignition.
He turned on the heater and took off his jacket, placing it around Astrid shoulders. "You need it more."
Astrid looked up at him and gripped the jacket pulling it closer. "Thank you."
"Glad I could help."Henry said increasing the heater and hoped she would feel better.
They both sat in silence as Henry came to a hault on a traffic jam. He looked into his rear mirror and caught her stare, this time, she didn't blink away.
He held her gaze for a while feeling slightly uncomfortable. He didnt know how Heather would feel about him staring at a drenched gorgeous girl in his car.
She'd be jealous for sure.
"Uh..is there a problem?" Henry asked.
Astrid smiled. Darn it. that smile was the reason why he couldn't keep his gaze off her this morning."Your eyes."
"Is there... something in my eye?" Henry stuttered slightly embarassed.
"No, I mean... you have your mum's eyes right?" Astrid asked with her eyes locked on his
"Yeah, how did you know?"
"Well, I've seen Gerald Haddock on the news and he does not have those eyes."
"You know about that?"
"Seth told me."
"Well, I look nothing like my dad but I got more of the mum genes."
"Thats a good thing...you've got pretty eyes."
Henry turned to stare at her. Astrid laughed."What? It's a compliment."
"I dont... usually get compliments...people just think I'm a..."
"A hiccup? Yeah, you sure are a hiccup but with pretty eyes. A pretty eyed hiccup"
Henry smiled, " Thanks."
Astrid looked away towards the window. Henry's reaction made her embarrassed. He looked so uncomfortable with the way she stared at him.
He probably had a gilfriend and she shouldn't have said that. She had to make him know somehow that it was a friendly compliment.
Her wedding ring!
Maybe if he saw her wedding ring, he would feel more comfortable around her and maybe stop staring during internship classes.
She brought out her arm from his jacketacross her shoulders and curled it into a fist showing the golden ring on her finger and placed it on her lap.
Henry noticed it and held his gaze for a while.
"You're married?"
Yes! That went well.
"Yea. Happily married." Astrid wiggled her palm.
Lies. The last way she would describe her marriage to Eric is happy. That was one thing she wasn't destined to ever have. Happiness.
"Aren't you married?" Astrid asked. He obviously had some kind of relationship with a girl, probably some girl in love with his brains, his wealth or those green eyes.
"Oh no no, I'm not. I have a girlfriend and I'm thinking about taking the next step." Henry said focused on the road like he was still avoiding her eyes.
"So, what's taking you so long?"
"I don't feel like I'm ready for that you know, a promise of forever? She has dreams she would have to sacrifice to be with me."
Astrid laughed. This guy was clearly a hiccup and his boyish innocence made him look endearing."You're scared aren't you?"
"Me? scared? of proposing to my girlfriend? She loves me. I know that."
"Then do it, before you loose her."
"I know I've heard that five times today."
"Propose to her already! You're such a panzi."
"Okay! I would." Henry said and finally looked at her. "Are you feeling better?"
"Don't worry about me." Astrid said and looked down at her wedding ring."I'm much stronger than you think."
"So you said notthingham place apartments?" Henry asked hitting the buttons of the GPS when the traffic was cleared.
"Yea.'' Astrid said in a sad soft tone. Since she left home this morning, she felt...free. The thought of going back there broke down her feeling of hapiness.
It was 9:30pm. Eric was going to be furious and probably give her more briuses and scars.
She just hoped he would let her go on with this job and when she reaches her goals, she would be free of him...soon.
"Is something wrong?" Henry asked.
Astrid snapped out of her thoughts and shifted her gaze to him. Was he always this caring and thoughtful? Even her own mother never really cared about her health or feelings.
Guys aren't supposed to be soft, they are dominant and heartless creatures, her mother would always tell her. They do you a favour, and take everything you own in return.
They are not to be trusted.
"I just dont want to be home late..my husband would...would...would be worried."
"If you want, I could explain..."
"No!" Astrid exclaimed in fear.
Henry raised an eyebrow. ''Um...okay."
"I'm sorry. It would be kind of weird if i came by home late with a guy, you know, it's the thing with being married."
"Sounds scary." Henry said stopping to the traffic light.
"Well if your girlfriend came home late with a guy, wouldn't you be a bit jealous?" Astrid asked furious.
"Not really. we've been dating since high school, so there's this trust."
Are you saying my husband doesn't trust me?" Astrid shot him a glare. His sarcasm was infuriating.
"Err...no, no I didn't mean...I'm sorry, I'll just take you home." Henry stuttered.
That glare was terrifying. she definitely wasn't a weak girl or someone he could mess with.
Astrid couldn't be mad at him as much as she wanted to. He had a perfect relationship based on mutual trust and loyalty and he rubbed it in. It was something she would
never find, but he was right, Eric didn't trust her. He wasn't faithful to her and she knew that, what right did she have to confront him? He bought her freedom.
Eric was over protective towards her. He wouldn't let her go out or let guys look at her. He would beat her up if she came home late or if she had guy friends.
She was more like a slave and wondered what it would feel like to be a real girlfriend, with someone who trust her and loves...no! She didn't need to be loved,
she didn't need to be indebted to someone like she was to Eric...she needed no one!
"I'm sorry too...what you and your girlfriend have? Not everyone has that"
"Oh I'm sorry." Henry repeated. ''I shouldn't have said that."
"It's fine."
The car was silent the rest of the way. After left turns and right turns, Henry pulled up to the driveway of Notthingham apartments and pulled the gear to a stop
"Here we are"
Astrid took his jacket off his shoulder and gave it to him.
"No you can have that.''
"It's alright, I don't need it anymore"
"Take it...I don't want you getting cold."
Astrid stared at Henry, his green eyes piercing through her heart. She had never seen anyone who cared so much and she felt like she was worth something.
She smiled, "Thanks."
''Anytime you need a ride, you can just call me."
She didn't need him to get caught up in her mess up life and if Eric found out that she was spending time with him, Eric would hurt him and she really didn't want that
"Really, I'm fine."
"Alright."
"Bye hiccup." Astrid said and opened the door of the car.
"What did you call me?"
"Hiccup, that's what I'll call you now...Bye Hiccup."
Henry smiled. ''Bye Astrid."
Henry watched Astrid go in with his jacket in her hand.
'Hiccup.' He would always get mad when Seth Lout or Terence Norman called him that but hearing it from her, It sounded...perfect.
Even if it was embarrassing that a girl saw him as a hiccup and not a real man, for some reason he loved the name and he didn't feel judged for who he was.
His phone rang.
Heather.
Darn it! He was so late and he would have to explain it to her but telling her he offered a ride to a pretty blonde in his internship class would not make her happy.
She'd be jealous for sure, but he had never lied to Heather and he wasn't going to do it now.
He had to tell her about Astrid, but maybe leave out the part where she tells him he has pretty eyes. She said she was happily married right? He could include that.
"Hi hon."
"Henry, aren't you coming home? It's really late"
"I'm sorry, got held up, I'll be there soon."
Henry hung up. He hoped Heather would believe his story because lying wasn't an option.
Hiccup. Hiccups don't lie. They are afraid to hurt people around them so they say the truth even if they don't want to. Henry wondered why he couldn't be a real man,
always scared of making his decisions, always worrying about how they will hurt other people.
Always being a...Hiccup.

*

Astrid felt Henry staring at her as she walked down the corner towards the lobby. She couldn't understand the starring game he was pulling. Her hair was a mess,
her make up was running and her clothes were ruined, but somehow, he always glanced towards her direction.
His jacket!
Eric would kill her if he saw Henry's jacket in her arms and pass it off to the neighbors that she was being unfaithful. She stopped and folded the jacket,
placing it under the papers in her bag and zipped it. She had to avoid anything that would get her in trouble with Eric.
Eric was home, she saw her car parked outside and bit her lower lip, unsure of her fate when she opens the door to her apartment.
Taking a few breaths, she opened the door and waked in. Eric was on the couch with his friends and empty bottles of beer lying on the floor.
They were all completely drunk.
Astrid closed the door behind her.
"Hey! Why are you late?"
"I'm sorry Eric. The bus was late and there was traffic." Astrid said shaking. "It won't happen again, I promise."
Eric rolled his eyes and took another glass of beer. Astrid walked into the bedroom and closed the door behind her.
She was lucky Eric wasn't concerned about her lateness or it'd be another bloody duel between them. She took off her soaked clothes and had a quick shower.
She was so tired and had to get up early for another horrible internship day. It wasn't that bad, She got to meet Henry Haddock, Gerald Haddock's son and even
if he was nothing like his father, he made her feel...accepted.
The door opened after Astrid put on her sleeveless night gown. Eric walked in and towards her. She stepped back shaking in fear. She knew he was drunk
and could do anything to her without thinking twice.
"Eric...do you need me to prepare something for you?"
Eric came closer and pulled Astrid towards him kissing her roughly. Astrid pulled away. She wasn't in the mood for this, she had to get rest for the next day and
wasn't going to let Eric ruin her day...again.
"Eric, I need to get some sleep."
Eric pulled her towards him, but she pushed him away. "I don't want to."
"And since when do you decide things in my house?"
"I'm just tired Eric. You took the car when you knew I was going to work. I had to stand under the rain waiting for the bus and I was late for work.''
Eric held Astrid by her throat and she choked screaming.
"Eric!!"
"Don't you dare talk back to me, you hear me?!"
"Let me go! You're hurting me!"
"When I want sex, you give it to me! It's the reason I brought you! You want to go back to that strip club?!"
Tears rolled down Astrid's eyes. "No..please...I'm sorry."
Eric released his grip and Astrid fell coughing. "Good girl."
Eric grabbed her and threw her on the bed, climbing on top of her. Astrid sobbed as Eric explored all parts of her body. She should be used to this, the clients who
tore through her dignity with greed in that cold dark bedroom but she wasn't. She felt like a slut again, she felt worthless.
This was her fault, a few minutes with Henry Haddock and she felt highly of herself. She even raised her voice at Eric. She shouldn't have done that, he bought her,
he owned her.
After a few minutes of pain and constant sobbing. Eric was knocked out. He got whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted.
Astrid climbed out of the bed in tears.
That's all you'll ever be Astrid, a slave, a sex toy.
She sat down and hugged her knees sobbing.
No one cared.
She opened her purse to dry the soaked contents and Henry's jacket fell out.
Take it...I dont want you getting cold.
Astrid stared at the jacket.
Someone actually cared about how she felt, for the first time since her Dad died. Henry helped her and without asking for anything in return.
Astrid hugged the black leather jacket with soft sobs.
Someone cared.
That's all that mattered.
Sign up to rate and review this story