Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Thinking About You

2.1

by FFisoline 0 reviews

SasuxSaku/AU/OOC/SongFic: A wedding to attend to, flashbacks of a past love interest, unsettled emotions and all that other typical romantic clichés. But the biggest and greatest cliché of them a...

Category: Naruto - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Sakura,Sasuke - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2017-10-23 - 5002 words - Complete

0Unrated
(2.1)

XXXXXXXXXX

"/I've only just began to turn your world upside down."/

/Noir/

.

.

.

The door opens allowing the light from the hallway to enter the room.

A girl with rose gold hair and green eyes walked inside the apartment. She had her phone between her left cheek and shoulder.

"I just knew you were going to keep yourself busy with work until the last minute."

Ino's voice sounded disappointed.

"I should've dragged you with me when I left. Why did I even agree to get here ahead of you knowing so well you'd do something like this?!"

"You're the one who wanted to help your mother pick out the flowers for the wedding." Sakura found the light switch and pressed it using her knuckles since she was still holding her keys.

"Are you sure you're not doing this on purpose to avoid Uzumaki? ... Is this about him?! Sakura, I thought you said you were over that?!"

Sakura kicked the door closed behind her and dropped her keys in the trey on top of the getabako. Then she laid her tote bag beside the trey.

With her left hand finally free, Sakura held the phone to her ear. "You really want to do this right now?"

She carefully laid the big box - that she had been struggling to keep in place under her right arm - beside her bag.

"...If you really want me to catch my train, you should just let me get on with my packing."

Ino sighed.

"Of course, you're only going to pack now."

Sakura struggled to remove her shoes and maneuver her coat off of her while staying on the line.

"Well, it's a good thing I had packed your things beforehand."

"What?!" Sakura dropped her coat on top of the box and quickly made her way to her bedroom.

.

.

.

She moved towards her wardrobe and opened it. She went through her clothes and found a lot of vacant cloth hangers.

Then she moved to the foot of her bed and kneeled down to pull something underneath. The suitcase was heavy.

['That's definitely not empty.']

Upon opening it, she found that it was filled with some of her neatly packed clothes. She held the phone to her ear again. "Since when?"

"Since I packed my stuff four days ago. When was the last time you were home? How come you're finding this out just now? ... Anyway, I had a feeling you might use getting late and missing the train as an excuse to bail on us."

"I wasn't going to bail! I was just... I've been busy!"

"Uh-huh. If you say so."

Ino didn't believe her.

"By the way you should start getting ready. You have about an hour until the cab gets there."

"Cab? Why would a cab-"

"It's going to take you to the station."

Sakura stood up. "I see you went ahead and took care of that as well."

"Yep! The landlady will come over there to inform you when it has arrived. She'll probably kick you out of the unit while she's at it, so just be prepared for that."

"What?!" Sakura threw her hand. "You got her in on this too?!"

"Tick-tock Forehead... Oh! Don't you DARE forget to bring the dress! I'll call you when you get to the station. Bye."

~Beep~

.

.

.

"I just got on the train.", Sakura spoke through her phone.

She was wearing a dark green shirt dress paired with her black moccasins. Her hair was tied in a single braid.

"So~ how's the bride?", asked Sakura as she was looking for her seat.

"She's blooming! She can't wait for her big day!"

Ino answered her in a sing-song voice.

Sakura awkwardly squeezed herself passed the other passengers moving across the aisle. "That's... nice."

She checks her ticket and confirmed her seat. She settles her bag in and sat down.

"So, what did you get them for a gift?"

Sakura squeezed her eyes shut mentally kicking herself. "..."

"You didn't forget to buy a gift did you?"

"I, uhm..."

"You forgot!"

"Ino, what am I going to do?!" Sakura started to panic.

"Okay. Relax Forehead! You've got time. You can do some last minute shopping."

"You're right!" Sakura stood up and was about to get her suitcase.

"Sit down Sakura! I don't mean you have to do it now."

Sakura raised an eyebrow.

"You know, I can't see the face you're making right now."

"Yet you know that I'm making a face. And you seem to know I just stood up."

"So I was right. Anyway, sit down. Well figure out the present when you get here."

"You must think you're some kind of genius who got me all figured out right now, don't you?" Sakura sat down.

"What would you do without me?"

"Ino, we're ready!"

Sakura heard a male's voice at the background.

"Who's that?!"

"Who's what?"

"That voice."

"What voice?"

"That voice who obviously called your name just now, Ino-pig!"

"Oh that! I'm here at the flower shop right now. You probably heard a customer. One of our regulars-"

"I thought you said that the shop was closed for today?!"

"I... I gotta go Forehead! You know. Busy, busy, busy. I'll see you in a few hours."

"W- Ino? Ino?!"

.

.

.

The train had been moving for a while now.

Sakura took a moment to look away from her book so she can appreciate the wide foliage that's starting to replace the tall buildings.

When the glare of the sun was just making it hard for her to look out the window, she returned to her book and began reading.

FLASHBACK

Sakura tucked some strands of hair behind her ear as her eyes carefully went over the paragraph.

She laid the paper on the desk and poised her pen.

She crossed out the fourth and last paragraph. The previous three was marked with multiple corrections. The margins of the printed paper were filled with her notes. She began writing something under the crossed-out paragraph

.

"College homework? Is that for your boyfriend?"

Sakura looks away from the paper and up to the handsome boy in front of her.

Sasuke was taking a break from his work.

"Huh?" She raised her head. "He's not my boyfriend. N-Not yet... But yes. This is his. He's got a lot on his plate so I'm doing what I can to help him."

"By doing his homework for him?"

"I'm not doing it for him. I didn't write this from scratch. I'm just checking what he's done so far. Making necessary corrections. Revising what needs revising.", she explained.

"Ah. If you say so.", said Sasuke then returned to solving an equation.

"No! You have something on your mind. Tell me."

The orange sky is visible through the window.

They stayed behind after school to do some supplementary studying. Sakura had the desk in front of Sasuke's seat turned and joined to his.

"It's just that, with all the fuss you had with Kakashi, I'd expect you to be… strict with him as well. I guess he's the only exemption.", said Sasuke without looking away from his work.

"He's not... This is not cheating. It's not the same thing. He just needs help writing his Essays. Like I said, I'm just checking it for necessary revisions.", she reasoned as she adjusted her hair clip. "I'm not doing all the work for him like Kakashi-sensei used to do for y-"

"He's never done... a single of my work for me, for your information. In fact, he actually finds me dull to teach because I'm a fast learner."

"Okay... Well, I'm just helping Sasori... like I'm helping you now."

"You point out my errors and give me guidelines. You don't... 'Tamper' with my final work.", he stressed.

"I'm not-"

"You clearly added three or more paragraphs to that. I see, you even printed out a copy of an entire module just to be able to understand the topic."

Sakura moves the papers under her math book. "Okay, I admit it. I may have expanded his answer a bit. It's just that I found the topic to be very interesting. I may have been too excited with the Essay."

"Why don't you just work on it with him then? It's his homework. You said you found it interesting. Just give him a lecture and have him write what he remembers from it."

"Oh, Sasori, he's smart but he's just too concentrated on his major. He's not too enthusiastic about exploring topics that are not related to his field. A few seconds into the lecture and he'd give up listening to me."

"Not even if you're the one giving it? ... He won't even pretend to be interested just so he could listen to your voice?"

Sakura found herself staring at Sasuke in awe.

Sasuke finished the problem he was working on. He raised his head and saw Sakura making a face at him. "What?"

She smiled. "Aww~ I didn't know you had a sweet side.", she teased "Uchiha, I think you're going to become a good boyfriend to that lucky girl out there someday."

"S-Stop that!", he ordered.

Sakura giggled. "I think I understand why Karin likes teasing you."

"Hn!" Sasuke decided to proceed with the next problem.

"I meant it though. I hope you fall in love soon Uchiha." She smiled softly at him.

"Sasuke." He kept his eyes on his notebook.

"Huh?"

"Just call me Sasuke."

"Oh." Sakura was surprised. She slightly blushed and looked down on her hands. "Then, Sa-Sasuke." she tested calling him. "It feels sort of weird calling you by name all of a sudden."

"Hn. You already did it before though."

"Really? When? I don't remember."

"That day I called you... annoying."

Sakura looked up and had her right index finger on her chin. She tried to remember. Suddenly, she was blushing.

"Oh that! You're right. I did yell 'Sasuke-kun' back then... That sounded better. It feels less weird. I'll call you Sasuke-kun starting today."

"Aa."

"Then me too!"

Sasuke looked at her.

"Call me Sakura from now on okay?"



"Sakura-chan!", Naruto called her as he entered the room.

Hinata was right behind him. She gave Sakura and Sasuke a bow.

"I thought you already went home?", wondered Sakura.

"I offered to walk Hinata-chan home but she realized she had forgotten her phone.", explained Naruto as Hinata went and looked underneath her desk

Naruto walked closer to Sakura. "Y-Yo.", he reluctantly greeted Sasuke.

"Hn.", Sasuke responded with a small nod

"So what problem are you working on now, Sakura-chan?" Naruto leaned forward to check the page of the book. He rested his right hand on the top rail of Sakura's backrest.

Sasuke looked away.

"I found it!", Hinata informed them.

"Right.", said Naruto as he straightened up.

"Well we're going ahead. Sakura-chan." Naruto looked at her and then at Sasuke. "Teme." he used a careful tone.

"Aa."

['Naruto is loud and cheerful while Sasuke is aloof and collected. But around each other, they both turn broody.']

Sakura raised her eyebrows at Sasuke.

Sasuke sighed. "S-See you around Dobe."

The two looked at each other for a brief moment until Naruto nodded. "Okay."

He looked away and met Hinata at the door.

"Bye Sakura. Bye Uchiha-san.", said Hinata.

"Bye Hinata. Naruto." Sakura then turned back to Sasuke as soon as they were gone. "I'm so proud of you! You got to say more than just a syllable this time... And I see you started calling each other by your pet names again."

"Don't make a big deal out of it. Like I said, we've already reconciled. The fight last time was random. Naruto is just the type of person who gets fired up when he wants to get something across to you. It's his way."

['He's defending Naruto's actions.']

"I know. I believe you. Also..." Sakura thought for a moment. "Naruto said the same thing. ... Actually, there's something I have to admit to you."

Sasuke looked at her, indicating that he's given her his attention.

"I know about... Naruto mentioned Ita- He mentioned your... brother."

"Hn." Sasuke started writing again. "I wasn't really trying to keep him a secret, at least not anymore. ... It's just that no one really knew him so I didn't talk about him."

"I see... He also said you were having trouble with your guardian. Is that why you ran away-"

"It's getting late." Sasuke stood up and started putting away his things. "Let's just continue the rest tomorrow."

Sakura got the message. "Oh okay."

.

.

.

The sky had gotten dark and the lights of lamp post had come on. Sakura and Sasuke sat on each side of the lone bench of the shed, leaving a very wide space in between them.

Sakura's legs were crossed at her ankles, her hands rested on her lap.

Sasuke's leg were slightly spread open, his hands were inside his pocket.

"You don't have to do this every time you know.", said Sakura. "You don't have to wait with me until the bus gets here. Don't you have to take a nap before you go to your night job?"

"I'm just making sure you go home and don't follow me back to mine."

"What?! I would never! Hmp!", she muttered. "And all this time I thought you were just trying to be nice." She pouted and looked the other way.

Not long after, the bus arrived. Sakura quickly stood up. Without even sparing Sasuke a look she walked towards the bus, got on and made it all the way to the back before finding a seat.

She sat down on the side of the bus closer to the shed. From the corners of her eyes, she saw Sasuke stand up and make a move to leave.

He walked towards the opposite direction the bus was headed to.

Sakura looked away so he wouldn't see her glancing at him as he walked by.

"Sakura.", he called her.

Surprised to hear her name from his mouth for the first time, she immediately turned her head and found him standing just outside her window.

"Get home safe.", he told her with a soft expression on his face.

Sakura couldn't react fast enough as the bus started to move. She kept her eyes on him until he was no longer visible to her.

As she leaned back on her chair, her right hand reached for her mouth in order to cover her smile.

She found herself enjoying the rest of the ride home.

.

.

.

-Next day; Lunch break-

Sakura approached Sasuke who was leaning forward on his desk. "You weren't kidding when you said you were weak in the morning.", she told him.

"Good work surviving the morning class." Sakura placed a canned coffee drink on Sasuke's desk beside his head.

Sasuke felt it and glanced at the drink. "Thanks.", he said weakly as he raised his head. He straightened up and grabbed the can.

Sakura's phone rang. She smiled when she read who the caller was and quickly answered the call. "Sasori?"

"Hey Sakura. You're on lunch break now right."

"Yes."

She looked at Sasuke who was already drinking the coffee and excused herself. However, she did not walk away from Sasuke. Instead, she sat on the chair in front of his desk.

"I wanted to check if you're done revising my Essay."

"Yes I am. I already e-mailed you the revised version."

"Oh I see. I haven't checked my e-mail yet."

"Uhm, anyway, Sasori I was wondering if we could-"

"Sorry I gotta go. I'm actually in class right now and the professors here."

"Oh. I unders-"

"Bye."

"...tand." Sakura sighed as she put away her phone.

"Something wrong?", Sasuke inquired.

"Uh no. He was in a hurry... Oh right, I have to catch up to Ino." Sakura stood up.

As soon as she looked away from Sasuke, she noticed her classmates were staring at them although they tried to look away as quickly as possible.

She looked at Sasuke again. "Later Sasuke-kun."

"Hn."

She heard him grunt as she made her way to the door.

.

.

.

Ino was waiting for Sakura in the cafeteria.

"I got you omelet rice. Is that okay?"

Sakura sat down in front of her. "That's fine. Thanks."

"Did you give him the drink?"

"Yeah. I did. Sasuke-kun looked really tired.", said Sakura as she pulled the food tray closer to her.

Ino tore the plastic wrapping her sandwich. "You call him Sasuke-kun now huh?", she pointed out.

"He said I could. You call him Sasuke don't you?"

"But you call him Sasuke-'kun'... You only use honorifics when you're being formal. And I don't think you've ever use 'kun'. Not even on Sasori."

"I- It just felt right. Maybe I caught it from Karin. She calls her like that.", she reasoned.

"Kay~ So how is Sasori anyway? You haven't talk about him in a while."

"He actually called me just now, when I was with Sasuke-kun. We didn't get to talk much though. He had a class."

"You talked to Sasori on the phone, while you were with Sasuke?", Ino seemed shocked.

"Yep." Sakura reached for the spoon and cut through her food.

"Since when do you let people hear your conversation with Sasori?"

"Oh. I just didn't mind that he was there. The first time he caught me talking to Sasori on the phone was far more embarrassing, now that I think about it."

"Why? What happened?!"

Sakura blushed. "He might have heard me tell Sasori that I... well... missed him."

"Oh my... That must've been awkward."

Sakura nodded and took a spoon full of omelet rice.

"Speaking of Sasuke again, I still can't believe you actually got him to come to school more often. He's never late anymore. And when he's here, he's actually here the whole day. He's often falling asleep in class though.", Ino noted before taking a bite off her sandwich.

Sakura chewed faster and swallowed. And then went for her bottled juice drink to take a few gulps. "He can't help it. He's up all night working."

"He's change a lot. He used to just walk out of the room whenever a teacher says 'group work'. But he's been actively participating in classroom activities for the past three weeks now."

"Three weeks?" Sakura was surprised.

"Almost four."

"Have I been helping him for that long already?" Sakura was about to eat another spoon full from her omelet rice when Ino hummed teasingly.

"Hm~ So you lose track of time when you're with him huh?"

Sakura was flushed. "Eh? What are you saying Ino? Don't even joke about something like that."

"Hehe, Sorry. So what's it like to teach Sasuke?"

"Sasuke-kun is actually pretty smart. He learns fast. He's already caught up to the current lesson. There's nothing left to work on. If he keeps this up, I'm sure he'll do well on the Finals."

"So he's doing okay. What was Kakashi-sensei so worried about then?" Ino took another bite.

"Now that I think about it, he did try to tell me something before. Sasuke-kun also said that he was really the one doing all his work. He took all his make-up exams and submitted all his requirements. He also made sure he only used up the allotted number of absences. We all just assumed that the teachers were giving him some kind of special treatment because no one had seen his efforts."

"So you were also wrong for accusing Kakashi-sensei about giving Sasuke points he didn't deserve. And you went through all of that trouble for nothing."

"Er, I was wrong. I admit that! But I didn't go through all of that trouble for nothing. If I hadn't done what I did, everyone would still be thinking that Sasuke is the ultimate teacher's pet and I would still be thinking that Kakashi-sensei is a dishonorable teacher."

"You... have a point." Ino swallowed. "So... why did Kakashi-sensei go as far as to let you think that of him in the first place?"

Sakura shrugged. "Sasuke-kun said Kakashi-sensei didn't do it for his sake... I think he was just desperate to keep me away from Sasuke-kun. Maybe he was worried that I'd get caught up in Sasuke's troubles."

"See, just like me. I told you you'd get caught up in between his feud with Naruto. And you did."

"That's well... But you know, both Sasuke-kun and Naruto told me that they don't really hate each other. Those two actually started talking with each other again some time ago."

"Really? I hadn't notice. Maybe it only happens when they're with you."

"They're still awkward about it but it's definitely a work in progress."

Ino noticed Sakura's smile turned into a frown. "Is something else on your mind?"

"It's just, Sasuke-kun might have other problems."

"What made you say that?"

"Kakashi-sensei once mentioned how he was asked by Sasuke-kun's legal guardian to look out for him... There's that instance where Naruto also told him to go home."

"Do you think he ran away from home or something?"

"I do. Since Sasuke-kun seems to be living on his own right now or at least that's how Naruto made it sound like. There's the fact that he works all night and sometimes during the day too. He's an Uchiha. Isn't his family supposed to be rich or something? He doesn't have to work unless, he hasn't been receiving any allowance."

"Did you ask him yet?"

"I did but he obviously didn't want to talk about it."

Ino pointed at Shikamaru who was sitting in a nearby table. He was scratching his head in frustration, trying to say something to a seemingly irritated Temari. Chouji was sitting across them on the table, keeping himself busy with food.

"Want me to ask Shikamaru?", Ino offered. "He might know something since he's with Naruto often."

Sakura shook her head. "No. I'll keep asking Sasuke-kun myself and wait until he's ready to talk about it."

Ino nodded and the two girls resumed eating their lunch.

.

.

.

The whole afternoon, Sakura would notice Sasuke shift in his seat. He would lean towards his desk, sit up and rest his elbows instead or lean back on his chair. He was also having trouble staying attentive in class.

He shook his hands and massaged his own shoulders when the teacher that looked like Lee left for his next class.

He sighed heavily when another teacher, who wore a bandana and smelled like cigarette smoke, walked in.

Then Sasuke would rub his temples or pinch the part of his nose between his eyes every now and then.

By the time the last class had ended. Sasuke lazily put away his things and stood up. There was a shift in his weight as he obviously tried to keep himself from falling.

That's when Sakura walked up to him. "Sasuke-kun! Is everything all right?"

"Hn."

Sasuke stabled himself but when he tried to walk, he suddenly felt dizzy and heavy. He fell forward.

"Sasuke-kun?!" Sakura caught him but fell backwards together with Sasuke. As she hit the floor she caught Sasuke's head on her chest.

"Sorry." Sasuke pulled away from Sakura as quick as he could. However, he couldn't stand up so he stayed down kneeling on one knee.

Sakura sat up and saw that Sasuke was breathing heavily. She reached for his forehead and realized he had a fever.

"You're burning up!", said Sakura. She tried to help him stand up but he was too heavy for her.

She looked around and found the other students staring at them. "What are all of you just staring there for?! Help us!", she cried out.

"Teme!" Naruto broke through the crowd forming around them and help lift Sasuke up to his feet.

The next thing Sakura knew, she was helping Naruto drag Sasuke out of the classroom and into the hallway.

.

.

.

Sakura was standing by the door of the infirmary. She watched as Rin tended to Sasuke.

Ino appeared beside her, three school bags at hand. Tenten was behind Ino carrying two bags.

Ino put down the three bags and had it leaned against the wall just beside the door then she patted Sakura's shoulder to comfort her.

"It's gonna be fine."

"Y-Yeah." Sakura smiled weakly.

"Want me to wait for you?"

"No. You go on ahead. I just want to make sure he's okay."

"All right. See you tomorrow." Ino excused herself.

She bowed to Karin and Naruto, who were at the opposite end of the hallway leading to the arcade.

Karin and Naruto returned the gesture then resumed what seemed to be a very serious conversation as soon as Ino and Tenten left.

Karin had her arms crossed while looking at Naruto with a half angry and half worried look. Naruto had his back turned to Sakura.

Sakura looked away from them when she heard someone coming.

Kakashi arrived just as Rin walked out of the Infirmary.

"He's got influenza.", she announced. "You can come in if you want." Rin told Sakura then went to talk to Kakashi in private.

Sakura heard the words 'fatigue', 'lack of nourishment' and 'weak immune system' as the two adults moved further away from her.

Sakura looked at Karin and Naruto to ask them if they wanted to talk to Sasuke first. She didn't get the chance to speak because Naruto suddenly walked away from Karin, going to the direction of the Arcade.

Karin looked at Sakura and gestured her hand to inform her that she would be right back. After Sakura nodded to that, Karin went after Naruto.

When Sakura turned to look at Kakashi again, he was still talking to the school nurse so she just went inside the Infirmary.

.

.

.

"It's not as bad as it looks.", Sasuke told her as she approached the bed he was lying on. "You actually look like you're doing worst."

"I'm sorry. I've been pushing you hard for about four weeks now, haven't I?", she stated more than asked. She sat down on the stool beside the bed.

"I had you stay after class for supplementary lessons. After that, you would still walk me to the bus stop and wait until I get on the bus before you go home. … I don't even know what your job is or where you work or how long you have to work. ... But I knew you were working every night and still. ... I call you up every single morning to wake you up so you won't be late. And then, there are days that I insist that you come even when you told me you couldn't."

"Don't flatter yourself. I do what I want."

Sakura lowered her head.

Sasuke realized that Sakura was genuinely feeling guilty. He sighed.

"This..." he pointed at himself. "It's on me. I was the one who chose this kind of life. Even if you didn't have me work hard this past few weeks, with everything that's been happening to me and with everything I've been doing, it would've eventually taken its toll on me."

"But I-"

"If it didn't happen here in school now, it would've eventually happened somewhere else. At work or even while I'm all alone in my dorm. Someone was immediately able to tend to me... because... you had me come to school.", he tried to cheer her up, unable to look at her.

"You..." Sakura finally smiled. It was weak but it was not forced. "Weren't you supposed to be some cold hearted jerk?! At least pretend to blame me even a little."

"If it makes you feel better, I certainly regret giving you my contact number."

"I was persistent about it wasn't I?", she chuckled.

"You wouldn't get off my back about it. You even followed me to the male's comfort room for it."

"That was embarrassing for me as well."

"And yet you didn't leave until I gave it to you and you called me then and there to make sure that I gave you the right number. You even threatened me that if I didn't pick up whenever you called you'd come looking for me again."

Sakura laughed at the memory.

"Still..." she wiped a tear from her eye. "...You could've told me you weren't feeling well this morning."

Kakashi walked in.

"Or any time you feel like you're too tired to stay after class. I know I can be pushy and insensitive so... It's okay to tell me when I'm being unreasonable. You can get mad when I'm at fault too you know. Didn't I tell you? You're allowed to hate me since you'll never be able to push me away."

"Ah. Selfish and annoying as ever." Sasuke rolled his eyes. "But I think I'll hold off on hating you for now since you'll be giving me all the time in the world to get there."

"You bet." Sakura grinned. "I've only just begun to turn your world upside down."

Kakashi cleared his throat. "Haruno. We should let him rest. I'll be taking him home. You should probably get going as well." He moved from the door to the foot of the bed.

"Yes sir.", Sakura told Kakashi and stood up. "Bye Sasuke-kun. You get some rest."

Sakura bowed to Kakashi before walking towards the door.

"Sakura.", Sasuke called her when she was almost out of the door. "Get home safe."

At that moment, Naruto and Karin had just returned. Together with Kakashi, the three of them were surprised to hear Sasuke call Sakura by her name.

Sakura looked back at Sasuke and smiled. "Hai. Get well soon okay.", she told him.

When she stepped out of the room, she picked up two of the bags Ino had left there. She walked towards Naruto and Karin who have yet to enter the infirmary. She handed Naruto's bag to him and Sasuke's bag to Karin.

Sakura then picked up her own bag. "See you tomorrow."

Naruto smiled while Karin nodded at her in gratitude.

Sakura excused herself then.

.

.

.
Sign up to rate and review this story