Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Thinking About You

8.5

by FFisoline 0 reviews

SasuxSaku/AU/OOC/SongFic: A wedding to attend to, flashbacks of a past love interest, unsettled emotions and all that other typical romantic clichés. But the biggest and greatest cliché of them a...

Category: Naruto - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Sakura,Sasuke - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2017-10-24 - 5088 words - Complete

0Unrated
(8.5)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"/Please tell him that…"/

Sakura patiently waited in the living room with Rin. They sat quietly across each other.

Sakura took a moment to scan the room. None of the three windows in that room had curtains. There was a mark on the floor that suggested where a carpet used to be. Some Furniture are set aside and arranged in a way that it can easily be taken out through the door. There were also piles of boxes scattered all over the room.

"Sasuke said we could do whatever we need to do to make this house feel like ours. He said we could sell or donate anything we want to replace or don't need.", said Obito as he came into the living room.

"Oh.", said Sakura.

Obito walked towards the couch. "Except for some important personal belongings. We're moving those up into the attic. Along with the things he erm… had to… leave behind."

Sakura noticed the scrapbook Obito was holding. "He's not coming back is he?", she assumed.

Obito placed the scrapbook on top of the center table before taking his seat. "The core product of the Uchiha Corporate Group is the Tsukiyomi brand. Due to its huge commercial success, it is highly in demand all over the world. The main headquarters which is situated in Tokyo handles all business transactions within Asia while the U.S.A. branch office oversees all foreign subsidiaries in the western hemisphere. Sasuke's grandfather needs him in the U.S. to take charge of the corporate headquarters there. Yes. Chances are… he is staying there for good."

Sakura lowered her head.

"Rin told me everything. First of all, I apologize for the way that Sasuke treated you that one time. I hope you understand that he acted that way because he just didn't know how to tell you everything. Naruto, his best friend… He was trying to make it up to him. That boy has long been infatuated with you and Sasuke was aware of it since the very beginning. He was in a very bad spot. Besides, it wouldn't have worked out between the both of you… /considering/…"

Rin cleared her throat.

"For… your own piece of mind…", Obito reluctantly spoke.

Sakura raised her head to look at him again.

"For the sake of…" Obito shifted in his seat. "…/Closure/. Allow me to explain everything."

Sakura turned to Rin.

"Don't worry.", Obito told Sakura. "I was completely ignorant of the situation between you and him that I~ was the only one he didn't ask to keep my mouth shut. That means~ I am at liberty to tell you everything you need to know."

Rin nodded.

Sakura turned back to Obito.

"Very well. If I may start from the very beginning…" Obito sighed. "When Sasuke's parents died almost eleven years ago, my uncle, Uchiha Madara, the head of the family and the executive director of the Uchiha Corporate Group made the arrangement for me to move here. I was asked to watch over Sasuke and Itachi /and/… take over managing the businesses their parents' left behind at least, until Itachi's old enough and qualified to succeed the businesses himself.

But during the funeral, Itachi made an impression on my uncle and so he decided to adopt Itachi. And Itachi agreed to the adoption despite knowing that he would have to part with Sasuke, who obviously had to remain here and succeed their parent's businesses instead.

Itachi was then brought to Tokyo where he was raised by my uncle, along with his other adopted son; Shisui… to well become successors. Due to this arrangement, my circumstance changed. If Itachi had stayed here in Konoha, I would've been able to return to Tokyo six years ago. That was what I promised Rin before going here." Obito glanced at Rin before turning back to Sakura. "The only thing that really troubled me about moving here in Konoha, was the fact that I left Rin behind in Tokyo. She had just started her professional career as a nurse then."

Sakura turned to Rin.

"I agreed to wait for him for six years. We made plans to finally get married and settle down when that day comes. We had to postpone it of course. Because… It would take at least eleven years before Sasuke would turn eighteen."

"About five years ago…" Obito resumed the story. "Itachi suddenly announced his inability to fulfill his responsibilities as a successor."

"Because he was… sick with Cancer." Sakura reckoned.

Obito nodded. "Back then we weren't sure what step my uncle would take next. We tried to stay positive. My uncle pleaded for Itachi to battle his disease. Itachi did it for Sasuke. He went back to Tokyo and was hospitalized. He went under medication and chemotherapy but when his health didn't show any progress, my uncle took him to another doctor. And when that doctor couldn't provide a better result, they sought a different opinion again. They tried various means. Itachi fought hard but he's condition just kept worsening. And then… less than year ago he finally gave up. He didn't want to spend his last days moving from one hospital to another. Instead, he wanted to be with Sasuke.

Sasuke did everything to accommodate him. But because Itachi was confined in a hospital in Tokyo he had to commute from here to Tokyo just to spend time with his brother. He started taking time off school but he couldn't tell anyone that his brother was dying because our family decided to keep Itachi's condition a secret. It was Itachi's request as well. The teachers were also asked to keep quiet about it."

"N-Naruto was really upset about not knowing until it's too late.", Sakura shared. "He ended up saying mean things to Sasuke-kun. He thought that… Sasuke-kun just… preferred being with Itachi over him. He felt like Sasuke-kun didn't want to be friends anymore. He was miserable after realizing what really happened with Itachi. He couldn't take those words back after all."

"It can't be helped. Sasuke-kun was only doing it to fulfill Itachi's wishes.", explained Rin.

"Those two tried to make the most of their last moments together", added Obito. "Sadly, early in March, Itachi took his last breath. It devastated both Sasuke and my uncle. We didn't really have time to dwell on the matters concerning the future of the company then but… My initial thought was that I'd be able to go back to Tokyo since Sasuke would be turning eighteen soon. But… after Itachi's funeral, a few months ago, instead of me going back to Tokyo, Rin was the one who moved here because… my stay here became indefinite."

"Sasuke-kun's grandfather asked him to take his brother's place.", concluded Sakura.

"Sasuke is actually a very capable kid as well. It's just that he was always compared to his brother, who was a prodigy. It often made him appear less than what he really was. But the thing is, while Itachi was given special attention and was trained by renowned mentors… Sasuke, who was always trying to keep up with his brother, ended up being a self-taught genius, which is actually… remarkable in its own way. Not to mention, Sasuke gave it his all to be noticed by his grandfather in hopes that he would also be taken to Tokyo to be with his brother."



/"…They had to grow up separately. … But seeing Itachi again someday was what kept Sasuke going. The reason he tried to be a good boy. The reason he did his best at everything. He had hoped that if he was good enough, his grandfather would take him in as well and then he and his brother could be together."/



"Even though Itachi wasn't around anymore, Sasuke-kun still complied with his grandfather's request.", thought Sakura.



/"It's not such a bad thing really. It's just that…"/



"By that time, with his experience and familiarity, Shisui finally took over the Tokyo headquarters so Sasuke would automatically be assigned to the U.S. branch. My uncle instructed Sasuke to leave at once for the U.S. by the end of the school calendar. He was supposed to attend seminars and business conferences so he would be ready to partially manage the company even though he was still in the process of completing his academic requirement."



/"…I'm not ready. Before I fill up Itachi's empty space, I want to fill mine first. There's something I have to do first, or else I won't be able to move on with my life.

My grandfather doesn't understand. He thinks my objective is a waste of my time and his resources and if I insist on pursuing it, I'd have to do it without his financial help. He also threatened my uncle's privileges should he support me, so I moved out of the house."/



"But he asked for… /more time/." Sakura put the pieces together. "And then he moved out of the house so Nurse Rin also decided not to live with Obito-san until now."

"I was more than willing to support him actually but, the case was, I was under my uncle's payroll until only recently. Sasuke knew that if my uncle took away my privileges, Rin and I would have a hard time. Rin after all, was only able to accept a part time work at Konoha General Hospital for the sake of Karin's informal apprenticeship. The money she gets from working there combined with her job as the school nurse wouldn't have been enough. It would've forced her to go back to Tokyo which would greatly affect me as well.", shared Obito.

"That's why he sought the part time job and ended up working for Orochimaru-san?"

"Part time?" Obito looked confused as he look to Rin for confirmation.

Sakura also looked at Rin who nodded to Obito. "That's what- Sasuke-kun…"

"That's what Sasuke led you to believe.", realized Obito. "Sakura, did Sasuke tell you what… he needed 'more time' for?"

"He once told me that… before he fills up Itachi's empty space, he wanted to fill his first. He wanted to do something for himself so he could… move on.", recalled Sakura. "When I asked him what it is, all he said was 'To play one last game with his brother'. I'm not really sure what he meant back then. To me it sounded like… there was something he had to do for Itachi first but at the same time, it would also give him some sort of peace of mind or something."

"Ah. Yes." Obito reached for the scrapbook. "This is Sasuke's. It was a present from Itachi. Itachi made this while he was confined in the hospital. He was really very happy that he could finish it in time.", continued Obito as he started looking through the pages.

"Oh. That's…" Sakura was uneasy. "I didn't know that."

"Sasuke was very simple as a child. He tolerated the things that he didn't like but he love what he loves and he loved his brother so much. His brother was his hero. Sasuke enjoyed the time spent playing with his brother the most. Itachi also only gets to enjoy being a normal child whenever he's with Sasuke. But the older Itachi got, the more responsibilities he carried and the less he gets to spend time with Sasuke. Soon playing together became impossible for the both of them and Sasuke was left only holding onto empty promises made by Itachi to pacify him.

Since Itachi didn't have time for Sasuke anymore, Sasuke started looking for ways to make it. He thought that if he became as smart as his brother, as good as his brother, as talented as his brother, then their parent's would rely on him as well. He and his brother would be able to share the responsibilities and Itachi would finally have time to play again. Itachi took it the wrong way. He thought that Sasuke was competing against him for their parent's love. Itachi, being the loving older brother that he is, decided to let their parent's appreciate Sasuke more. He allowed his grades to fall. He intentionally made mistakes and showed incompetence. It angered their father. He scolded Itachi and they ended up not speaking to each other for a long period of time.

The next and last time Itachi spoke to his parent's was after the accident… in the hospital, a few seconds before they died. That night, Sasuke came home late from school to an empty house with a cold dinner that Itachi had prepared for his father's birthday as an apology. Since then Sasuke and Itachi were never the same again. The day Itachi left Konoha, he promise Sasuke that he'll only be gone for a short while and when he returns, they would play again together. But by then, Sasuke already knew too well that Itachi was lying.

That is why Itachi worked so hard to put this together for Sasuke. To make it up to him and to fulfil his last promise to him.", Obito closed the scrapbook. He then stood up and handed it to Sakura.

Sakura accepted the book.

Obito returned to the couch. "That scrap book is a compilation of the most significant memories Itachi had made. Wonderful places where he had been that he wished Sasuke could've also seen. Locations of significant people that had made a strong impression on him, people that he desired for Sasuke to get the chance to meet as well.

That is a map. A map for Sasuke to follow. It's a… way for him to catch up to his brother. A way for him to see what his brother saw. Experience what he experienced. Appreciate what he appreciated. A way for Sasuke to love life in this world the same way Itachi did even after losing their parents. In a matter of speaking, this was Itachi's way of giving Sasuke a reason to keep on living even though he would leave him as well."

Sakura wiped her tears and began scanning the scrapbook.

"It is also a game in a way that, for every location specified in that book, Itachi has left a piece of himself. Those pieces are like a puzzle. If Sasuke completes the journey, he gets all the pieces and it reveals a location where he would find what Itachi had left behind for him or so Itachi said.", added Obito. "This is what Sasuke meant by playing one last game with his brother. Sasuke asked his grandfather to allow him to finish this journey first. My uncle gave him five months to complete it and of course, he made sure that the money Sasuke will need to make these travels, he'll have to earn himself."

"Five months?", Sakura considered. "So he really was only allowed to stay here until the end of summer."

"Sakura. You skipped the first page didn't you.", Obito noted. "You probably wanted to avoid reading the dedication but I want you to look carefully at the very first picture."

Sakura did what Obito asked and returned to the first page. "This is… Otogakure. Orochimaru-san's bar."

"That was the very first stop on Sasuke's journey. That explained where Itachi had been hanging out during the times that he was avoiding their parents. He went over to Otogakure every day and had Orochimaru, who could still play the piano back then, teach him… just so he could pass the time until he was ready to go home."

"I see." Sakura smiled gently as she straightened the sheet protector of the page that she was looking at. "No wonder Sasuke acted like that. He worked diligently at that place and cared so much for it. It was almost like… that bar was his."

"It was his.", said Obito. "…Until he returned it to its rightful owner just recently."

Sakura looked up at Obito. "Pardon."

"When Sasuke first visited that bar, it was closed and the owner, Orochimaru had been reduced to a miserable drunk. He was supposed to sell that bar but Sasuke offered him an alternative. Sasuke actually had money at that time. Before he left the house to start on his journey, he sold his car and some of his expensive clothes. He loaned Orochimaru that money in exchanged for keeping that bar as collateral."

"Eh?"



/"…When Sasuke first found me, I was a miserable person. I was a frustrated musician who had to retire early due to an accident that took away my gift. … These hands doesn't work the same way it used to. Even after so many surgeries and therapies, I just couldn't play like I used to. … I could never be as good as I was back then. With such skills, I couldn't possibly compete in the music world ever again."

It took a while for the reality of my situation to sink in. By then, the bar was all that's left of me. But I couldn't afford to keep it open so I considered selling it. That's when Sasuke-kun found me. He- Let's just say, he… helped me in order to take a new direction with my life. I got my house back…"/



"Sasuke said he would help him get back on his toes so Orochimaru promised to pay him back the money in time for when Sasuke would finally resume his travel. In the meantime, Sasuke asked for free lodging since he couldn't go back home and let us now that he didn't have any more money. And while he waited, he decided to attend school for as long as he could."

"Orochimaru-san was lying after all. Every one of them in Otogakure was prepared to lie or cover for Sasuke.", Sakura concluded.



/"No comment."/

/"Wh- … You're totally on his side!"/

/"Not really. Not on this one. But… like I said, it's not my place to speak."/



/"You know this. Y-You know everything or at least you seemed like you do but you definitely knew I like him. You even know about Sasori. And I know you know something about Sasuke. Something I don't know./

/"Honestly, yes. I know a lot that you don't. At least not yet."/

/"Like what? Tell me something I don't know."/

/"You don't know it because he hasn't told you yet himself. So, I can't tell you."/

/"I keep hearing that! Everyone always knows something I don't. And every one of you, for some reason chooses to keep it that way out of consideration for him. Why is that?"/

/"Because that's how important he is to us. We would never do anything to compromise him."/

/"Anything? Including letting me look like a fool time and time again?"/

/"Yes."/



/"I can't really disclose much. For Sasuke-kun's sake."/



Sakura turned to Rin. "And so were you."



/"I don't know how much you already know. Sasuke-kun… He said he'll be the one to explain things to you but I don't think he fully understands the situation himself. … Oh how I wish I could do something about this situation but my current circumstance puts me in a position where… I have to act in favor of Sasuke-kun."

/"That's understandable."/

/"There are so many things I can't disclose at the moment. I'm not certain how much I'm allowed to tell you- … that won't end up compromising Sasuke-kun any further."/



Rin was guilty. "It was because we didn't want Karin and Naruto to find out what was happening with him at that time.", she reasoned "Sasuke hadn't gotten around to telling them that he was leaving Japan soon for good. He wanted to tell them personally but he wasn't sure how to approach them about it. And then there's also that."

"That?", wondered Sakura.

Rin fell silent again.

"Sasuke had planned to resume the journey during the summer break.", said Obito.

Sakura froze. "D-During?! But he was- He stayed and worked at the bar all summer. /Because of me/!"



/"…I will work for you during the summer vacation…"

/"Summer huh? … Very well. /IF/... Sasuke-kun is okay with having the two of you work to pay off his supposed debt for him, that is."/

/"I can't have the two of you do that for me."/

/"Sasuke-kun! … You know very well that I will do what I want to do. Even if you don't like it, I will work for Orochimaru-san during the summer vacation. Whether or not I will have worked there for nothing is up to you!"/

/"Fine. I guess I'll help out during the summer vacation as well. I can't have you two take on my 'would-be-debt/'/ on your own, although it's thanks to your suggestion that I will be having it in the first place."/

/"Weren't you going to be there anyway?"/



Sakura was guilt ridden. "I… He wanted to… for his brother… and I…



/"I understand that there's something you want to do for your brother. And it's something you probably feel you need to do for your own peace of mind as well. But if doing it means that you have to be alone. That you have to lose your friends or your family… Is it really something that your parents or your brother would want you to go through with?

I'm sorry. I should probably comfort you and tell you; 'I know exactly how you feel' but instead I'm… I'm just really worried about you. I just want you to be happy with your friends and family. I want you to LIVE.

Itachi- Your brother- He's gone now. But Naruto, he's here. Kakashi-sensei is here. Karin is here. Your uncle and your grandfather is here.

And…

Me too. I'm here for you too. Let's do our best. Let's just do what we can do for now. And right now we're still young. Let's just focus on getting through high school. Then college. And then when we're older; more matured and more able, we can truly be independent.

You don't really have to rush the idea of completing yourself as a person. You don't have to do it alone either. I promise, I'll still be here for you. I'll help you then. Fill that space.

Even if this world forces you to become someone else. I'll still remember the 'you from this time. I'll remember you as just Sasuke-kun. And I'll remind you just how perfect you are as just you."/



/"You became his friend. … It wasn't the way you planned but… you did end up helping Sasuke as well. You brought him and Naruto back together."/



/"Do you think I'm being unreasonable?"/

/"For being romantically motivated? It's not my place to judge. I'm also only driven by my emotion. I'm in the same boat myself remember? … I'm well aware that even if I accomplish my goal, it won't bring him back. It won't turn back time for us. … I completely understand why everyone thinks it will only be a waste of time. Not to mention all this trouble I'm going through right now as a result of my decision. Still..."/

/"I'm sorry… I'm sorry I'm one of those people asking you to come home. And I did it all for my sake too."/

/"You have a point though."/

/"It's not like the distance between me and my brother could get any further away. Even if I miss my chance now, maybe I'll get another chance someday. At least that's what I've been thinking, these past few days."/

/"Eh~? So you're considering it? It's not like you have to decide right now. We still have this summer right? I'm not backing out on that deal. And you still have time to decide- …Oh no. I'm doing it again aren't I?"/

/"You don't really have the time to be looking out for me…"/



…This was his last chance." Sakura sobbed. "I took it away from him."

"Sakura you have to understand. Sasuke had a choice. He chose to discontinue his travel.", Obito tried to cheer her up. "Before you came into his life… he was living for the dead. He was obsessed with- He was holding onto his brother instead of moving on. You brought him back to us. You allowed Naruto and Karin to make happy memories with him again. You- Sasuke is able to move forward with happy memories to bring along with him instead of just spending his last days in Japan alone and searching for himself."

"But…"



/"Sasuke-kun?"/

/"Hm?"/

/"Is it okay if I ask you what it is that you want to do?"/

/"To play one last game with my brother."/



"Sasuke-kun looked so pleased back then...

['He was probably so motivated to see what awaited him at the end of that journey. Now he'll never know. And...']

"It's all my fault!", cried Sakura.

"This is why Sasuke-kun didn't want you to know the truth. He knew that if you found out, you would only come to hate yourself. He asked and made sure that everyone would keep it from you no matter what.", said Rin.

"But I believe… and I know…" Obito spoke. "Everyone actually wants you to see who Sasuke truly is. What kind of person he is. It would be a tragedy for him and for you if you never found out what was really going on. I told Rin that if Sasuke's departure would only leave you longing and discontented with yourself, then I would take responsibility and be the one to tell you everything.

I know that all of this is hard for you to take right now but you must bear with it. I had to tell you the truth. We didn't want what he told you that night to be the last thing on your mind whenever you look back to these days. Whenever you see any of us. Whenever you… remember him. We don't want you to spend the rest of your life wondering what was really going on in Sasuke's head during all those times he spent with you. You were not hated. You are not irrelevant either. Sasuke cared for you. Truly. You meant so much to him and that's why he thought that it would be for the best to end it like that. Because he didn't want you to experience what he's been through. He knows better than anyone what it's like to only hold onto someone's memories after all. He wanted to give you a reason to forget him. But believe me. Sasuke… He was truly grateful to have met you."



/"Thank you."/

/"For what?"/

/"For saying the words I didn't even know I needed to hear."/



Sakura tried her best to stop crying then and there. She harshly wiped her cheeks dry of tears.

"Sakura I beg of you." Obito bowed to her.

Sakura was taken aback. "Obito-san."

"If you truly value your friendship with him. If you truly value the times you two spent together then please… Please forgive Sasuke. Forgive everyone who had to lie to you. /Forgive yourself/.", begged Obito

Rin also bowed.

"Please. This is not-"

"It doesn't have to be right at this moment but please~ For him. For all of us. For yourself. Be happy Sakura.", Obito pleaded.

Sakura put down the scrapbook and stood up. "Please get up. It's okay now. I'll be okay now. I'm going to be fine."

Obito and Rin finally looked up.

"I…" It was Sakura's turn to bow in gratitude. "Thank you. Thank you for telling me everything. I truly appreciate it."

.

.

.

Rin handed Sakura a towel to wipe her face with.

Sakura accepted the towel after shutting the faucet off. "Thank you."

"Please stay. Join us for dinner. It would be our pleasure to have you dine with us."

"O-Okay then. I will. Pardon my intrusion."

"No. You are welcome here anytime."

Rin waited for Sakura to finish wiping her face before they left the restroom.

.

.

.

"That was Sasuke's.", said Rin as he pointed at the door adjacent to the restroom. "Do you want to go in and have a look?"

"Eh?" Sakura blushed.

.

.

.

Rin was the first to come in.

"Come on in.", Rin told Sakura as she turned on the lights. "It has its own bathroom but it's joined to the next room. It was Itachi's but I heard that Sasuke often used it whenever Naruto came here for a sleepover."

Sakura reluctantly stepped inside Sasuke's room. The room could be mistaken for the master's suite. "You haven't cleared this room yet?", Sakura noticed that some of Sasuke's things, that were probably brought back from his dorm, were still there.

"No. Not yet."

Sakura walked around. She then ended up standing beside Sasuke's study table. She saw the lanyard that Sasuke lent her once. "This brings back memories.", said Sakura as she picked it up.

She examined it carefully as she held it in her hands. The smile on her face fades. "You once told me… 'Don't blink'.

...

/"...If you look close enough you'll see his kind gestures and find a sweet side to him, hidden somewhere deep inside… all that hard and stoic surface. They're faint and so tiny that if you look away for even a second, you'll end up missing it."/

...

I blinked. I shut my eyes real tight and I ended up missing a lot of things."

Rin listened to her intently.

"Sasuke-kun really was a wonderful person. He was so kind. So beautiful and captivating. I love him so much. I really, really love him. The truth is that even after everything he said to me I still do. And I'll probably love him for a little longer too… Please tell him that… I'm really glad I fell in love with him."

"He knows. It's Sasuke-kun were talking about here after all."

"And please tell him that I'll do my best so, whatever happens he must absolutely become happy too."

Rin smiled gently at her and nodded. "I'll go ahead first and help prepare dinner."

"What? No!" Sakura placed the lanyard back on the table. "I'll go with you then. I'll help too."

"No. It's okay. We can handle it ourselves. You go and looked around for a bit." Rin insisted as she stepped out of the room.

"But…"

"It's okay Sakura. I'll just send for you when dinner is ready.", said Rin.

"W-Wai-"

Rin closed the door behind her.

Sakura sighed as she sat down. She then leaned her head on the table.

She blinked a few times while staring at the lanyard.

Then her eyes stayed closed.

.

.

.
Sign up to rate and review this story