Categories > Anime/Manga > Bleach > The Rise of the Hollow King

Chapter 4

by Karasu-Tenka 0 reviews

In the aftermath of Shiro's appearance...

Category: Bleach - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Fantasy - Characters: Kurosaki Ichigo - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2017-11-11 - 5889 words

0Unrated
Five days had passed since the battle for Karakura town had come to its terrible conclusion.

The Captains of the Gotie 13 stood silently in the large meeting hall in the heart of Seireitei. Also present were the Lieutenants who had recovered from their injuries, the remaining Vizard, along with Urahara Kisuke, Shihoin Yoruichi, and one other man. That man was currently letting loose the most impressive string of curses any of the Shinigami had ever heard.

"This is YOUR fault Urahara!" Kurosaki Isshin roared, causing the shopkeeper to flinch, "YOU'RE the one who helped my son go on a fucking suicide mission to fucking HUECO MUNDO!" Isshin had been disarmed almost five minutes earlier, and everyone present was now extremely glad for that small fact. This however did not deter him from seizing Urahara by the throat with his bare hand and hauling him off the ground. "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't crush your neck right now..."

A hand came to rest on Isshin's arm, gently pushing it back down. "That's enough... Please Isshin-san." Yoruichi couldn't bring herself to meet the man's eyes, but her voice was more grief filled than Isshin had expected. "If it's anyone's fault... it's mine. I should have trained him better... made him stronger before he left. I'm the one who taught him how to fight, and I let him down."

"Enough." Commander Yamamoto's voice cut through the hall. "Shiba Isshin, control your anger. We are all grieved by the loss of your son. He was a powerful ally, and a good friend to many among the Gotei 13. But the fact remains: The man who was Kurosaki Ichigo in life, is now in death, one of the greatest threats that Soul Society has ever faced."

Isshin let out another violent curse. However, he finally let go of Urahara, lowering his eyes and returning to his space, however the look of anguished rage did not leave his face. Urahara said nothing, his own expression was oddly blank, but his hands were clenched tightly closed, and small drops of blood fell from both of them. Yoruichi returned to her space beside the shopkeeper, her look of self guilt more pronounced than ever.

Yamamoto watched the three of them silently for a time, then, "It does not matter, at this moment, who is 'at fault'. That can be determined once the battle is over. For now, we must focus on what can be done about the situation."

"Tch, just let me at him." Zaraki Kenpachi snorted, "I'll carve him to pieces."

Unohana stepped forward, "Have you forgotten what I said in Hueco Mundo Zaraki? You cannot beat him."

"And I think you were just spoutin' bullshit. There ain't a person in the world that can't be killed if you stab them enough."

"You were not above Karakura," Komamura spoke up, "You did not witness what that monster was truly capable of."

"Perhaps not," Nodded Unohana, "However we do have the testimonies of Kuchiki Rukia, Abarai Renji, Sado Yasutora, and Ishida Uryuu. All of them witnessed Shiro in battle, and all of them agree that had Zaraki Kenpachi fought, he would have died."

"What about Inoue Orihime?" Asked Ukitake, "What about her testimony?"

Unohana's gaze grew sad, "Inoue Orihime has not said a word." She said, remembering the terrified, dead look in the poor girl's eyes. "According to Ishida-san, She has been completely unresponsive since her encounter with Shiro."

"Personally, I find this Shiro creature fascinating." Kurotsuchi Mayuri was the only one present who's expression was not darkened by sadness, anger, or grief. He was grinning from ear to ear, like a child who had just been given a new toy to play with. "So many questions, and so few answers... So much to learn from his existence. I can't wait to dissect him once he's dead."

Isshin snapped once again, blurring across the room and laying the scientist out along the floor with a brutal punch. "That's my son you're talking about you little shit." Mayuri glared up at him venomously, "You talk like that in front of me again, and I will kill you."

"Oh?" Mayuri sneered, rising once again to his feet, "Feeling sympathetic for a hollow are you Shiba?" The two men glared at each other, "Would it help matters at all if I tiptoed cautiously about the subject? Would it expedite the situation if I showed false remorse for the death of a boy who did not know his own strength and got himself killed because of it?"

Isshin let loose a roar of fury, moving to strike again. However, a flash of movement had Kyoraku and Soi Fong both placing themselves between the two men. "Isshin-san, please... We need all of our captains alive in order to deal with this situation."

Soi Fong meanwhile glared at Kurotsuchi, "And you. Have a bit of respect for the dead. And for those left behind. Antagonizing Isshin-san is not going to help matters."

Mayuri simply snorted derisively, but he let the matter drop. Isshin was quietly led back to his spot by Kyoraku. As he walked, the thought that had plagued him since he had first learned of Ichigo's death once again floated through his mind, destroying his ability to think as it went. Oh god... What am I going to tell Karin and Yuzu? He felt his knees begin to give out slightly, They adored Ichigo... Yuzu... this is going to utterly destroy her... How can I ever face my daughters again?

Yamamoto once again watched the confrontation silently, finally he spoke. "It is obvious that we will achieve nothing just standing here. All of you are dismissed. Urahara Kisuke, Kurotsuchi Mayuri, you are to examine the remains of the battlefield, and the remains of the giant Arrancar that was brought back from Hueco Mundo. Discern any information you can about Shiro, and inform us at the next meeting. The rest of you, it is clear that Shiro is extremely powerful. All squads are to begin intensive training immediately. I want the Gotei 13 back to full combat readiness as soon as possible. We do not know Shiro's intentions, and I will not allow us to be caught unprepared."

The gathered captains all nodded, and began to disperse to their tasks. All except one. Yamamoto considered the lone figure for a time before speaking, "You do not need to be here Shiba-san. You should return to the world of the living and be with your family."

Isshin stood silently, his gaze cast down. Eventually he said, "No... Ichigo is my son. I have a responsibility to him as well." The pain in his voice was potent enough to make the venerable old Commander flinch in sympathy. "However," Isshin looked up, meeting Yamamoto's eyes for the first time since he had arrived in Soul Society, "If I am going to fight, I need to ensure that my daughters are safe."

"I shall assign several Shinigami to watch your home at all times."

Isshin shook his head. "No." His eyes suddenly burned with a fire that Yamamoto had not expected. "They won't be safe in Karakura. Not if Shiro really does have my son's memories, and decides to attack them for some reason. I want to bring them to Soul Society, where I can watch over them."

"Hmm?" Yamamoto considered the request quietly for a time. "Does this mean you intend to take up the Shiba name once again? Do you intend to revive the noble house?"

"If that's what it takes to see my family safe, then yes." Isshin's resolve seemed to radiate from him like a fire. The Commander felt himself smile slightly.

"Very well. Make the arrangements. I shall order the reconstruction of the Shiba mansion."

Isshin nodded, and turned to leave. As he walked through the streets of Seireitei quietly, he tried to think about what he would say to his daughters. A small cough broke through his thoughts attracting his attention. Looking up, he found himself looking at Kuchiki Rukia, a strangely shocked look on her face. "Oh..." He tried to bring himself to smile, "Rukia-chan, you look well."

Rukia didn't know what she could say, the man before her was so completely different from the buffoon she had met during her time working with Ichigo. Coupled with the loss the man had just suffered... "I..." She tried desperately to think of something.

"I hear that my nephew was the one who trained you."

That brought her up short. "Eh?" She blinked up at him confused.

He nodded, "My nephew, Kaien. He's the one that trained you isn't he?"

The seconds stretched out into what felt like an eternity. K-kaien-dono's...uncle? Rukia could only stare dumbstruck at the man. That means that...! "D-does that mean that... Ichigo was Kaien's cousin?!"

He nodded again. "Mmhm. You can't say that you never noticed the family resemblance. I could see it in your eyes at meal times every now and then. Ichigo got his hair color from his mother, god rest her beautiful soul. But the hair style, was one hundred percent Shiba." His smile seemed more genuine now, more heartfelt. He gestured for her to follow as he started walking again. "I suppose that I never did get to properly thank you for saving my family that night." He nodded down to her as she fell into step beside him, "If you hadn't been there, I would have had to bury all of my children. So..." He stopped, and turned to her, bowing low. "Thank you, Kuchiki Rukia, for all that you did for my family."

"Oh... no, no... It's entirely my pleasure." Rukia suddenly burst into a string of embarrassed mumbling. "But... if you don't mind my asking... why did you not slay the hollow that night yourself? You clearly possess the strength too."

His smile faltered a little, and he turned to continue walking, Rukia hurrying to catch back up. "My powers were... sealed away twenty years ago." He said as they traveled through the Seireitei. "The details of why are rather personal, and I'd rather not discuss them."

Rukia felt her heart stop for a moment. "I-I'm sorry sir. Please forgive my presumptuousness."

"It's alright, Rukia-chan. You had no way of knowing. I'm sorry for snapping a bit there. Anyways, I'm actually on my way to go find that useless bastard Kisuke. I need him to do me a favor, and I'm really not looking forward to talking to him right now."

"Why not?"

"Because I nearly killed him in the Captain's meeting." Rukia blinked in shock at the rage that suddenly flowed off of the man, "I blamed him for my son's death, and nearly ripped his head off. Yoruichi-san's really the only reason that he's not a corpse right now." Rukia felt herself slowly shift away from the larger man, until she was confident that she was out of his immediate reach. The move did not go unnoticed, as Isshin sighed, "I... would appreciate it if you accompanied me, Rukia-chan. It'd help to have someone there to remind me of happier times while I talk to him."

Rukia nodded immediately. "Of course sir. I'd be happy to."

Isshin sighed once again, a small, sad smile on his face. "Thank you, Rukia-chan."

*

Ishida Uryuu sat on a cot in the Gotei 13 Fourth Squad medical center, staring down at his ruined left arm. Without Inoue-san's ability, the Shinigami doctors had only been able to do so much. He swore violently to himself. That bastard of a father warned me... Tried to warn me not to get involved in a Shinigami matter. Now look at me...

He slowly rose to walk across the hall, pausing in the doorway. "H-hello Inoue-san." His voice was quiet, "How are you feeling today?"

She said nothing. Of course, he'd have been surprised if she actually had replied. She sat in the bed, curtains draw across the window, the only light in the room coming from the doorway in which the Quincy stood. Her dead, glassy eyes stared down at her hands, and her expression was that of a ghost. A small meal sat untouched on the small table beside her.

"I..." Ishida tried to speak, tried to assure her that everything would be ok, to comfort her in some way. But her blank, broken, dead expression stopped him. Damn you... Kurosaki. He thought quietly, Damn you for doing this to her.

He quietly sat down on a chair beside the bed, remembering the vivid, brilliant girl who had once been so full of life and energy. He knew now, that she had been the true soul of their group of companions. During their quest to save Rukia's life, it had been Inoue's constant optimism and cheer that had brightened the darkest of moments for them. "Come back to us... please... Inoue-san." He felt tears begin to gather in his eyes. "Please..."

*

Kensei unleashed a brutal series of strikes at the target dummy, trying to vent his anger and frustration. Shit. He thought violently. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. SHIT! He attacked with everything he could muster, vaporizing the dummy and part of the wall behind it.

He still couldn't believe it. Love was dead... Killed by Ichigo of all people! How could he have let it happen? His mind constantly replayed that sickening moment, over, and over again trying to figure out what he could have done differently. Anything he could have done to save Love's life.

The rest of the Vizards were taking the loss just as badly, he knew. But he had been the strongest of the four that were there, it was his fault that Love was dead. His mind then turned to the others, Lisa had literally screamed and shrieked until she had passed out. Hiyori had reacted similarly to himself, she had been violently destroying anything that came within reach for days. Hachi... Hachi looked like something inside him had broken. The large man, once so jovial and kind, and friendly, now seemed dark, like some kind of beast that could barely contain the violence in it's soul.

Shinji had taken it possibly the hardest. He hadn't spoken, hadn't slept and hadn't eaten anything since the battle. A lot like that Inoue girl... Kensei realized. Shinji was riding his hopes on Ichigo. He saw the kid as... I don't know... some kind of redemption for us. And now... Now that hope has turned into pure despair.

Mashiro and Rose were taking it the 'best' to be sure. Mashiro just refused to accept the truth, stating that Love was just taking a rest, and he'd be back. While Rose had been stoically silent, but had quietly been trying to keep everyone together as best he could.

"Shit." The short haired Vizard swore again, grabbing another target dummy. "That bastard had better pray to god while he can. Because I'm going to drag his ass out of Hueco Mundo and cut his fucking head off."

*

"Hmm?" Urahara Kisuke looked up as the two figures approached, his expression darkening as he recognized Isshin. "Here to threaten to kill me again Isshin-san?"

Isshin shook his head. "No..." He sounded as though he were struggling to find the right words to use. Finally, he closed his eyes and took a very deep breath, "I... Look, you're only going to hear me say this once. So listen close Urahara. I'm sorry." Kisuke blinked in surprise, "It's not your fault my son is dead. As much as I wish that I could blame someone... I can't. There were too many factors. Your and Yoruichi-san's encouragement, Aizen's schemes, My son's own head-strong stubbornness."

Kisuke walked over to the man and set his hand of his shoulder. "I understand, Isshin-san. And I understand why you blamed me. I am truly sorry that I didn't prepare him better."

The two men stood, eye to eye, a mutual understanding passing between them. Rukia stood a small distance away, unused to seeing either of these men so serious. Finally Isshin spoke again. "I actually need your help with something, Kisuke."

The shopkeeper nodded. "You want to bring your daughters here to Soul Society." Rukia's eyes widened in shock at the statement, and even further when Isshin nodded.

"They aren't safe in the World of the Living, and I can't just put down my sword if my son is involved. I've received permission from Yamamoto-dono, and I intend to take up my old name again."

Even Kisuke blinked in surprise at that. "So... The Noble house of Shiba will return eh?" Isshin nodded. "I understand. I'll get to work making a gate for them to come through. Bring them to my shop in two days."

Isshin nodded again. "Thank you Kisuke. You've been a good friend to our family... for a long time." He turned, "Just watch your back around that Mayuri punk. I don't think he likes having you around again." He walked away, nodding to Rukia as he passed her. "Thanks for being my support there, Rukia-chan." He smiled, leaving her looking slightly stunned.

*

The next day, Isshin pushed open the front door of the Kurosaki clinic, still not sure what he was going to say to the girls. Walking into the main room, he found a plate of plastic-wrapped food with a small note attached to it. You need to eat if you want to save lives dad. There was a small little heart drawn beside the words in Yuzu's handwriting.

He smiled warmly,"How long did she leave this out for me?" He asked himself quietly.

"She made a fresh plate every night." A stern voice suddenly sounded behind him. Isshin felt himself flinch at the accusatory note in the words and turned to see Karin glaring at him from the door. "And where the hell have you been all week old man?"

Isshin felt himself start to sweat, suddenly desperately wishing that he were facing down a rampaging hollow instead of his daughter. "Ah... well, y'see... uh... I...."

"Oh! Welcome home dad!" The bubbly, smiling face of Yuzu suddenly poked around the door frame behind her sister. "Did you need to go consult at a hospital or something?"

"Umm..." He finally sighed. "Come here, Yuzu, Karin." He said, making his decision. "I need to tell you two some things." He sat down at the dining table.

Karin's expression darkened, as if she could sense that something was wrong. Yuzu blinked in curiosity, wondering why her father sounded so serious all of a sudden, but said nothing beyond that.

As the two sat across from him, Isshin looked to his elder daughter. "Karin, I know you can see ghosts." The girl nodded hesitantly, "And you are a lot smarter than most girls your age, so I know you've seen your brother."

Karin's eyes widened at his statement. He knows?! She couldn't believe it. Her buffoon of a father, knew about Ichigo being a Shinigami? It was impossible.

Yuzu meanwhile looked between them, her expression growing very confused. "What do you mean dad? Why would Karin not see Ichi-nii if she couldn't see ghosts? He's not dead."

Isshin felt his heart stop. He must have shown some kind of reaction as well, because he saw the color drain from Karin's face. "What happened dad?" She asked, her voice deadly serious. "What happened to him?"

"I... I can't say, for now... But, there's somewhere that we need to go. I promise that I'll explain everything once we're there." His expression was utterly heartbroken as he rose and began to make his way upstairs. "I need both of you to pack some things, clothes, toothbrushes, whatever you think you may need. But not too much. There will be stuff where we're going, and you may not be able to bring every thing. And no, don't ask where we're going," He said, cutting Karin off as she was about to speak, "I promise you that you wouldn't believe me if I told you. It's better that you see it for yourself."

"How much time do we have to pack?" Yuzu asked cheerfully, already making a list of things she'd need, while wondering gleefully where they were going.

"We leave tomorrow." He said, making his way up the stairs and closing the door to his room.

Yuzu quickly went about packing her and her sisters clothes for the trip. "How long do you think we'll be gone for Karin? Think we should call the school and ask them to send our homework with us? Karin?"

The brown haired girl peeked out into the hall, noticing her sister in front of their father's room. As she approached, Karin put a finger to her mouth in a 'shushing' motion and gestured to the door.

Echoing from the room, the two girls could hear the sound of their father crying.

*

The next morning, Isshin led the girls down a strange alleyway in Karakura town. He had recovered his composure enough to smile as he walked with them, carrying his bag and chatting idly with Yuzu. Eventually Karin realized that she knew the alley that they were in.

"Hey, wait a minute." She said, catching the other two's attention. "This is the way to that sketchy candy shop isn't it?"

Isshin paused, looking back to his daughter. "Hmm... I suppose Kisuke does sell candies as well. But he's actually an old acquaintance of mine. We're going to his place, because it's the first stop on our trip." He gave her a smile, "Just try to trust me on this one Karin. Kisuke may be as shady as they come when it comes to businessmen, but he's the person to see for this particular situation."

"That's so hurtful Isshin-san." Urahara Kisuke approached from further down the alley. "I'm just a humble shopkeeper, there's no need to insult my business practices like that." He snapped open his fan, raising it up just before his nose. "And these must be your lovely daughters. How do you do? How do you do?"

Yuzu grinned widely at him, smiling and bowing in greeting. "How do you do sir. I'm Yuzu. I've bought a few things from your shop from time to time."

"Oh, thank you very much for your patronage." Kisuke acted every bit the 'eccentric shop owner', but Karin could see that there was something very different beneath the surface.

Putting her suspicions aside, she bowed slightly in greeting as well, "I'm Karin." She said tersely, "Nice to meet you, I guess."

"Hmm, you take after your brother I see." There was a smile on the shopkeeper's face, but Karin noticed the sadness in his eyes. "That's good."

"You know our brother Urahara-san?" Yuzu asked.

"Oh yes, he's been a most faithful customer of mine for some time now."

"Kisuke." Isshin interrupted the other man, "If it's all the same, I'd like to get on with it. It's going to be tough enough explaining everything to them as it is." That caught Karin's attention.

"Hmm? You mean you didn't tell them?"

"This particular revelation isn't something that you can just causally bring up over dinner. I decided to just show them rather than sound like a crazy person."

As the two of them talked, Yuzu's expression grew more and more confused, while Karin seemed to be getting angry. Kisuke noticed the black haired girl's expression and chuckled, "Heh, it really is like seeing a younger, female Ichigo. Vary well. Follow me my friends."

Kisuke led the family through to the back of his shop, which confused the girls, then he reached down and opened up a trap door, which for Karin, was the last straw. "Oh for crying out loud!" She suddenly shouted, "Would one of you idiot's just tell us what's going on!?"

"Karin." She felt her father's hand on her shoulder, "Just trust me." She looked up, finding Isshin's steady gaze staring back at her. Something in those eyes quieted her, made her wonder just what was really going on. At her silent nod, he turned to Kisuke, "I'll head down first."

Isshin climbed down through the trapdoor, using the ladder to move swiftly down. Kisuke gestured for the girls to go next, before following them in. Karin's eyes went wide with shock when she saw where the ladder led.

"WOAH!!!" Yuzu shouted, her voice filled with the glee of a child that had just received a beautiful gift. "This is amazing! There's a space like this under that store?"

Kisuke grinned widely, "Oh, it's so nice when someone actually has a proper reaction to my little training ground. Thank you miss Yuzu-chan. And miss Karin-chan, I can see the look of wonder in your eyes, but you are indeed like your brother. He had about the same reaction as you when he first saw this place."

Karin's eyes narrowed suspiciously at his statement. "Does that mean that you know about what Ichi-nii is? That he's a Shinigami? Is that what this place really is?" She turned an accusatory glare on her father then, "And YOU. What kind of connection do you have to this whole business? EH?!"

Rather than cringing away as he normally did when Karin got angry with him, Isshin simply stood there, his gaze level, and his demeanor completely different from his usual. Karin and Yuzu both blinked in surprise at the sudden shift in their father. Taking a deep breath, he turned to them. "You really are a sharp kid, Karin." He said with a small smile as he changed. Before their eyes, the man who both had known their whole lives as a fool, a buffoon, and a loud-mouthed child in the body of a man, seemed to transform. His clothes turned into a black kimono, a katana hung at his waist, and a white haori jacket was slung over one shoulder. "Yeah." He said, "I'm a Shinigami."

Isshin spent the next hour and a half telling the girls about the Soul Society, Shinigami, Hollows, and Hueco Mundo. As his tale came to an end, he said, "The Soul Society needs my help killing an extremely powerful hollow. So I'm returning there until the situation has been resolved. However, this is also a personal matter, it's no longer safe for my family in the world of the living. So, I'm taking you two with me."

"But what about Ichi-nii?" Yuzu asked, "If we're gone, what will he think when he get's home...?" The young girl then saw her father's eyes, and she felt her heart break. "No... no you aren't saying that..."

Karin felt as if the world had suddenly fallen out from under her. "W-what are you saying...? Dad? I know Ichi-nii is a Shinigami... but why is it suddenly so dangerous that it's worth leaving home for? Especially without telling him?" He isn't saying that... She thought desperately to herself, He CAN'T be saying that... Ichi-nii is strong. He wouldn't...

Isshin said nothing. He simply knelt and hugged his daughters as though it was his last day on earth. Yuzu screamed, beating her fist against his arm, "NO!! HE CAN'T BE! HE'S NOT!!!" She screamed and screamed, until her voice went hoarse, and then continued to scream.

Karin simply stared dumbly ahead. Her body numb, and her mind unable to think.

Finally, Isshin spoke once more. "That's what makes this a personal matter. This hollow that I need to help kill. It..." He choked on the words, I can't tell them that it is their brother... "This hollow...it killed Ichigo." Yuzu shrieked even louder, unwilling to believe what her father was saying. Karin felt her legs grow weak. "Do you two understand me? This thing took your brother from us. Because of that, I'm going to fucking butcher it."

The rage in his voice seemed to shock Karin back to her senses. "Why...?" She asked, pushing herself away from him and turning a pleading gaze on Urahara, "Why did Ichi-nii...?" Even as she asked, she felt her knees finally give out and she sunk to the ground.

Kisuke's gaze was hidden by the brim of his hat, but his expression was pained. "Kurosaki Ichigo was a remarkable young man." He said, kneeling down before the young girl, "He risked his life daily protecting this town from threats that you can only begin to imagine... One of those threats took someone precious to him. Someone that he was willing to risk everything to save. However, in saving her... he ended up sacrificing himself."

Isshin stood, carrying the still crying Yuzu up in his arms, "Come on Kisuke..." He said, walking further into the cavernous training ground. "The Old Man is gonna start to get impatient."

Kisuke nodded, his eyes still hidden. "Mmm." He stood, offering Karin a hand up. "I failed to help your brother," He said to her, his voice calm, "I swear to you, that I will do everything in my power to help you."

She looked up at him. Suddenly, he seemed so... human to her eyes. He was a flawed man, who had tried to help her brother somehow, but he had failed. Just like Ichi-nii... She took his hand, feeling the surprising strength there, and rose, following her father into the desert-like training grounds.

After a time, they came to a strange stone... square, that stood upright. "We're here." Kisuke said, stepping forward. "This will allow you girls to enter the Soul Society. And this time we actually have the Gotei 13's cooperation, so unlike when your brother and his friends used this thing a year or so ago, this time you guys won't have to race for your lives."

"Just open the damn gate Kisuke..." Isshin said, adjusting his grip on Yuzu. She still cried in his arms, but her screams had died, now she simply sobbed.

Kisuke nodded, turning to the gate and placing a palm against the grey stone. "Open." He commanded, his hand glowing with a bright white light. The gate flashed blindingly, Isshin grabbed Karin's hand and stepped forward into the light, and then they were gone.

Kisuke stepped around to the front of the gate, his mind tracking back to Karin. Her eyes... He thought quietly. So very much like her brother's... perhaps all is not yet lost... time alone can tell.

*

Arisawa Tatsuki walked quietly through the neighborhood, her thoughts distracted. It had been weeks since she had seen any of them. Chad... Ishida... Ichigo... Orihime... Where the hell did you all go?

Orihime had been the first to vanish. It had been a quiet thing, but one that had shaken Tatsuki to her very core. She had rushed all over town that day, trying to find her dearest friend, because she had known, she had felt it when the girl had disappeared. It had torn at her heart, because she had known then that something was very wrong.

When she had confronted Ichigo about it... She clenched her teeth in anger at the memory. That asshole... She thought. Why the hell couldn't he just tell me what was going on? Ichigo had vanished the next day, along with Chad and Ishida. Tatsuki, Keigo and Mizuiro had followed the three of them to that strange shop in the alleyway, there... they had watched them jump into what looked like an abyss of darkness and disappear from the world. That had been three weeks ago.

Three days after that... something strange had happened. Like something out of a bad dream. Everyone in the town had seemingly feinted all at once, and when Tatsuki had woken up, the town was somewhere... else. She had seen the edge of the town, it led to a forest instead of more urban sprawl. Then a few hours later, she had woken up in her bed, and everything was completely normal.

But I know that really happened... Karakura got moved somehow... Now, almost a month later, nobody else seemed to remember the incident. And what disturbed her most, the Kurosaki Clinic had disappeared. About a week after Ichigo left, the family run clinic had seemingly ceased to exist. No one in town except for her and her two closest friends seemed to even remember it, and everywhere she looked, traces of the Kurosakis just vanished.

Did you really just abandon us? Ichigo? Tatsuki looked up, finding herself at the riverbank. The same one where she and Orihime had talked that night many months ago. That had been where it all started, she now knew.

As she stood there, watching the river flow by, a sudden chill flew up her spine. Whirling around, she saw two figures walking along the water's edge towards her. As they grew closer, she began to make out details about them. One of them was a woman, the other was male, they both had very long hair, both wore what looked like helmets atop their head, although one of them looked like it only covered half his head and had a long horn reaching forward from it, and the other seemed to be more of a mask than an actual helmet. And they both were dressed in a strange, white kimono-like outfit. Something about them immediately put her on edge.

They're not human! She suddenly realized with a shock. Both figures seemed to exude an aura that screamed at her senses to flee. They're like those two in the park back then. Her mind briefly flashed back to the incident in the park when that enormous man had nearly killed her.

The two figures were closer now. Close enough that Tatsuki could start making out details. The woman had long green hair and what looked like an odd red line tattooed horizontally across her face. At her hip was a katana in a lime green scabbard, with a tsuba guard that split at the back, forming what looked like a flower stem when viewed from the top. She wore a neutrally bored looking expression as she walked, and held herself with supreme confidence, but something about her made Tatsuki certain that she was just waiting for violence to erupt. Atop the woman's head was a mask, that looked like it was carved from bone. It looked to be in the shape of a horned skull, with a large crack down the center of it.

The man... it was his hair that caught her attention first. Long, reaching down to his waist, and bright orange. Tatsuki felt her heart stop when she saw his face. It was a pale, deathly shade of white, and there was no trace of kindness anywhere on it. His eyes were black and the irises were a bright, inhuman yellow. And most importantly, the face of Kurosaki Ichigo stared back at her.

"I-I...chi...go...?" She couldn't understand what she was seeing. Ichigo, one of her oldest friends, was walking towards her, and it was almost painfully clear that he wasn't human. "Is...is that really... you...? Ichigo?"

Ichigo stopped about ten paces from her, his black-yellow eyes boring into her. Finally he smiled thinly, and spoke. His voice was deeper than it had been, and felt like oil being poured across her body, sending even more chills down her spine. "Yo, Tatsuki. It's been a while."
Sign up to rate and review this story