Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Back To Hogwarts

by Emilie_D 3 reviews

Best laid plans need adjustment, so Snape faces Professor McGonagall.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-09-14 - Updated: 2006-09-14 - 2967 words - Complete

3Ambiance
Apparating seemed to take a long time, Severus thought, but he had not specialized in traveling that way between continents. They finally arrived on the isolated road below the Shrieking Shack, in the dimness that passed for night in early July.

"/Lumos/," muttered Harry, taking out the Marauder's Map.

The passage between the Shrieking Shack and the Whomping Willow was clear, and Hagrid was safely at home, so the grounds were empty. Harry looked at Snape rather apprehensively, but the wizard's expression told him nothing.

"Are you ready, Sir?" asked Harry nervously. "We should go."

In silence, they entered the Shrieking Shack and walked through the passage. At the far end, Harry reached out and prodded the knot with his wand to give them time to pass without being attacked by the tree.

They walked rapidly to a chained door that Harry had never used before, which obviously led to the dungeons. Snape pointed his wand at the door, causing the heavy chain to slither to the ground. They entered into blackness, just as the clock, far away in the Great Hall, struck one. As the door closed behind them, Harry heard the chain reposition itself on the outside of the door.

"/Lumos/," hissed Snape. By the tiny light of his wand, he led Harry up a narrow flight of stairs, through a long passage with many doors, and up another flight of stairs leading to the Great Hall.

Harry recalled seeing Malfoy come out of that door occasionally. He had never known where it came from, but it was all so confusing that without studying the Marauder's Map, he doubted he could find his way again.

"The Map, Potter," Snape whispered.

They saw that Professor McGonagall was still in the Headmaster's office, as both of them continued to call it in their minds. Peeves seemed to be harassing Mrs. Norris in the North Tower, but all other inhabitants seemed to be safely abed.

When they reached the seventh floor, with the guarded entrance to the office, Snape said curtly, "Send your Patronus up to her."

Harry squirmed at the thought of producing a nonverbal Patronus under Snape's critical eye, but using his newly improved ability to concentrate, he thought, "Expecto Patronum!" and pointed his wand. Miraculously, his Stag Patronus shot out of his wand easily, and he mentally commanded, "Go to Professor McGonagall!" The Patronus vanished upward, causing Harry to breathe a deep sigh of relief.

"Not bad, Potter," said Snape dryly.

They moved into the shadows behind a suit of armor, and waited. The gargoyle leaped aside, the wall opened and Professor McGonagall stepped out.

"Potter! Harry Potter, where are you?" she whispered, looking anxiously around the darkened corridor.

Harry stepped forward. She held out her hand, grasping his with a relieved expression.

"I've been extremely worried, Potter. I received word from the Weasleys that Miss Granger and Ronald Weasley left with you last night. What have you been up to?"

Harry looked toward the shadow of the armor, and taking a deep breath, Snape stepped out, into view, holding his wandless hands so that she could see he was unarmed. Harry held his wand ready, unsure what Professor McGonagall would do.

"Severus!" she gasped, growing white with shock. Recovering quickly, she spat, "Explain yourself. Give me one reason why I should not summon the Aurors immediately."

"Because I'm telling you not to," said Harry sternly, suddenly sounding far older that his almost seventeen years. "May we please go to your office, Ma'am? You should hear what he has to say, and then we all have a lot to do."

Snape's lips twitched, and he wished with another rush of grief that Dumbledore could have witnessed this. Minerva looked as if a Bludger had struck her in the face, in response to Potter's fair imitation of a responsible adult. In fact, he realized, Potter was doing quite a good imitation of Zelda's teacher persona.

The new Headmistress gestured them forward to the revolving stair, and Snape went first, aware that her wand was pointed at his back. If it were not so serious, he thought grimly, he felt rather as he had when she was his no-nonsense Transfiguration teacher. He had to bite his tongue to keep from making a sarcastic comment. She was obviously having second thoughts about having sent Potter to find him.

As they entered the office, his eyes went immediately to the wall over the desk, and he saw the new portrait there... with Albus Dumbledore sleeping peacefully in its frame. It took all his control to keep walking past it.

"Sit down, both of you," snapped the new Headmistress.

She looks exhausted, Harry thought. He knew she was not as old as Dumbledore had been, but now she looked it.

"Well? What do you have to say for yourself, Severus?" she asked grimly.

Snape had to begin with the story of the Ring Horcrux and the curse that had nearly killed Dumbledore one year earlier. He could see that she knew nothing of the Horcruxes, but he refused to go too deeply into the subject. Once he had begun his story, he told all of it in a dry, expressionless voice. He faltered briefly, when describing what happened in the Astronomy Tower.

"Where is Draco Malfoy now?" she asked. It was her first interruption.

"I cannot tell you that, but he is safe, and he was indeed unable to do what he was ordered to do," Snape replied, "Professor Dumbledore made the arrangements, and it is essential that no one know. He will be in great peril if he is found." He added, "May I finish, please? All of this talk is giving me a headache."

McGonagall waved her wand and a tea tray appeared on the desk. She poured a cup for each of them, and Snape drank deeply before continuing.

It was difficult for him to speak of being so easily overcome by Bellatrix, and so he glossed over the more humiliating details of that part. But when he spoke of the woman hacking off his Dark Mark, Professor McGonagall looked startled.

"Let me see it," she said, in a voice that would not accept refusal.

Slipping his arm out of the leather jacket, he pulled up the sleeve of his shirt, to expose the new scar on his left forearm. He knew that she had never seen the Mark, but assumed that Dumbledore had told her it was there.

"If you were left to die far away, then why aren't you dead?" McGonagall asked, sensing that there was more to the story.

Harry smirked, causing Snape to flush slightly. His voice stayed as expressionless as always, however, as he told a carefully sanitized version of how Zelda had found him and helped him to recover. Finally, he told her of Potter's arrival at Zelda's house.

"A Muggle?" McGonagall exclaimed, "...and she helped you?"

"Yes," Snape said repressively. He was uncomfortably aware that, as soon as Potter got the chance, McGonagall would be given an earful about the details of his relationship with Zelda... but he told himself that there were far more important things to discuss at the moment.

Silence fell as she digested the tale.

"So you found him there, Potter, at this Muggle's house?" she asked, looking for confirmation. She hoped the story was true, because over the years she knew how deeply Dumbledore had grown to trust and care for Severus Snape, and it had been most painful to believe that his trust had been betrayed.

"Yeah," Harry said, smiling reminiscently. "Zelda's great. She's not at all like the Muggles I'm used to."

Professor McGonagall turned toward Snape, surprising a tiny smirk on his normally impassive face. She began putting together the pieces of what Snape had said, what Potter was obviously dying to say, and that smile. So Severus Snape now had picked up a Muggle girlfriend! Leave it to the impossible young fellow to choose the least favorable time in his life to join the living world, she thought exasperatedly. How she wished that Albus Dumbledore could have known!

Their eyes met. Realizing that she had figured it out, Snape looked down, embarrassed and a little confused.

"Am I the only person you have told about this, Severus?" McGonagall asked.

"I was not planning to tell anyone. None of this was supposed to happen," Snape responded sourly. "Things have already changed from what the Headmaster envisioned, and I am concerned. I am also aware that I am completely discredited," he continued, "not that many were willing to believe me before. Potter thought it important that I tell all of this to you. I must say though, that whether you choose to believe me or not, I am relieved to have the chance to tell someone."

"I believe you, Severus," she said, a smile softening her stern features. "I am very happy to discover that what we were told is not the truth."

"What is true, though, is that Albus Dumbledore is dead," he reminded her, "and it is incumbent on the Order to regroup and move forward. Potter has informed me that some members seem... rather unfocused." He added, "Furthermore, he says that you are considering closing Hogwarts. Is this true?"

"If we cannot ensure the safety of the students..." she began defensively.

"Hogwarts is as safe as it has ever been, and the education of the students is paramount," responded Snape firmly, his voice suddenly taking on an icy tone. His black eyes glittered as he continued, "Potter has informed me how the Death Eaters accessed the school. I assume that the Vanishing Cabinet has been removed from the Room of Requirement since then?"

"Of course it has," snapped Professor McGonagall. "But..."

Snape closed his eyes briefly as the pain from his concussion worsened again, and he paused to rub his aching head. "I am sorry. I do ask that you consider opening Hogwarts for the fall term... but I have no right to turn up like this and give orders to you. In fact, you probably know far better than I as to what the Headmaster intended to happen."

Shaking her head in despair, she said, "He did not even tell me what had happened to his hand, although I feared the worst. All I can think is that he expected Order members to continue doing what they are doing and communicate with each other as needed. But there must be more." Her eyes slid toward Harry.

"Tell her, Potter," Snape said. "Though I know that the Headmaster did not tell you to do so... but things have changed."

So Harry told her about the Horcruxes, and what was expected of him. Professor McGonagall listened in silence, feeling sicker by the moment as she realized how much of their collective future was riding on one student, Harry Potter, doing the impossible. She looked at Snape, and was rather startled to see that he was listening respectfully.

"You must tell no one about Potter's role," instructed Snape. "Not in the Order, not the Ministry. Not even Hagrid. You know that he can be indiscreet... at times."

"What now, Severus?" she asked curiously.

"As soon as we leave here, Potter and I will return to Zelda's house. Weasley and Miss Granger remained with her, and I plan now to make her house unplottable," said Snape. "When that is accomplished, I must approach the Dark Lord. That was to have happened immediately after the... Astronomy Tower... but as I have been waylaid, I will take time to protect Zelda. I will not have her kindness to me repaid by having a monster like Bellatrix Lestrange pay her a visit."

Professor McGonagall was slightly surprised that Severus Snape would take the time to protect a Muggle... but upon reflection, she was aware that the boy had been alone for a very long time, and was intensely loyal. If there were indeed an intimate relationship that had developed between them, then he would feel obligated to ensure the woman's safety. It pleased her to realize that.

Snape met her eyes. "No one will listen to me, Minerva, and if the Dark Lord is to believe that I have killed Professor Dumbledore upon his orders, no one should," he said, "But if you have any influence, please prod the members of the Order and get them on task. I do not know, nor should I, what each is to do. But Potter needs all of them to be active and vigilant in order to accomplish his mission. I hope you believe that I will do what I may to assist him."

He rose, and Harry rose with him. Professor McGonagall stood up and offered her hand to Snape.

"I am very glad you came here tonight, and so glad that you told me." She looked up at him a bit wistfully and said, "I have missed you being here, you know. Without you, Severus, and without Albus... well, I wish we could go back. If somehow we survive this, will you return to Hogwarts?"

Snape was deeply moved, and was forced to pause before he could respond.

"I too wish that we could go back," he said slowly. "Survival seems unlikely, but if it were so... Hogwarts is my home and I would very much like to return. Thank you."

She turned to Harry. "I realize that Professor Snape will not be able to return here," she said, "but I hope you will keep me informed as to your progress. I will do my utmost to er... inspire the Order to greater efforts, Potter, and if I can assist you in any way, you need only name it."

As they descended the revolving staircase, she said, "I will attempt to sway the Board of Governors to allow Hogwarts to open again as usual, after all precautions have been taken, of course. May I take a moment to consult with you as to staffing, Severus? Horace Slughorn will likely be persuaded to remain, of course, although he would not be my first choice."

Professor McGonagall chuckled, seeing Snape roll his eyes heavenward at the mention of his former teacher's name.

"About Defense Against the Dark Arts, I am afraid we have run out of prospects, Severus. Recent events and the rumor of a curse on the position have frightened all comers. Have you any ideas?"

Snape, his black eyes gleaming wickedly, suggested acidly, "Perhaps you should ask the Ministry to lend you Nymphadora Tonks for a year. She will clear the castle of useless bric-a-brac and trot between you and Rufus Scrimgeour, playing spy in both directions."

Professor McGonagall smirked and said, "Please come back to us alive, Severus. How can I do this dreadful job without you here?" A harried frown creased her brow as she added, "I must find someone to teach Transfiguration too!"

Snape smiled ironically, leaned forward and, shocking himself with his own daring, kissed her chastely on the cheek. "Thank you for allowing me to feel normal for a short time, Professor McGonagall. I shall endeavor to survive simply so that I may come back and watch you preside over staff meetings."

Her cheeks were pink from shock, but she recovered very quickly, saying; "I hope very much to meet this mysterious Muggle friend of yours, Severus. Did I also mention that I rather like your new look? Especially the jacket. Very... /sexy/, as they say."

It was now Snape's turn to flush.

"Take care, both of you," she said, as she watched Harry Potter and Severus Snape walk away together. It seemed impossible, given their history together, that they had reached a point where they could work together respectfully in this way... but if this were possible, perhaps all was not hopeless. Professor McGonagall decided that the work she had been distracting herself with was no longer needed, and so, after briefly tidying up, she left the office for her quarters. She was finally ready to sleep, deciding she would face whatever the new day had to offer when it came.

As she drifted off to sleep, Professor McGonagall remembered Severus smiling and kissing her cheek - and she wondered that a mere woman could have worked such a change in him. Depressing that it should happen now, when things were so hopeless for him. If, though, he had experienced even a few happy hours with her - then perhaps that was better for him than the way things had been before.

Once out of sight of the new Headmistress, still stunned at her ridiculous comment about his appearance, Snape stopped Harry, and muttered, "I would like to make a brief detour, Potter."

After consulting the Map for Peeves and Madam Pince, he led the way to the library. He opened the door easily, and seemed able to avoid all the detectors that were designed to limit student access. Behind the desk, he found an old knapsack. Snape took it out, and then walked among the shelves, selecting books to put into it.

"What are they for?" Harry whispered.

"Mostly for Zelda," Snape replied in a low voice.

"Take this one too then." Harry said. He handed a copy of The Philosophy of the Mundane, Why Muggles Prefer Not to Know. "Hermione read it and liked it."

Snape accepted it. "All right, let's go," he said, leading him back out of the library, and locking the door behind them.

They returned to the Whomping Willow without further incident and retraced their steps through the passage to the Shrieking Shack. Snape looked around cautiously before walking out the door, and as soon as they were a few steps out of the door, he grasped Harry's arm - and they immediately Apparated to Zelda's back garden.
Sign up to rate and review this story