Categories > Anime/Manga > Rurouni Kenshin > Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Ch. 21: Battle by nightfall

by John_the_visionary 0 reviews

Aragorn finally returns to Helm's Deep, with Sanosuke beside him... and tells Theoden of the incoming army of Uruk-Hai, that Saruman sent to kill his people...

Category: Rurouni Kenshin - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover, Drama - Characters: Aoshi, Misao, Saitou, Sanosuke - Published: 2006-09-14 - Updated: 2006-09-14 - 2943 words

0Unrated




Here's chapter 21 of Section 2. Please Read and review.










Chapter 21: Battle by nightfall, Aragorn's return to Helm's Deep







After surviving a near death fall... Aragorn proceeded further to ride towards Helm's Deep, upon the horse, Brego, which once belonged to Théodred. It was in the early hours of the fourth dawn. The Dunedain ranger of the North swayed drunkenly, half-alive and nearly worn out to the point of exhaustion... as Brego trotted slowly along, their path seemingly aimless. Aragorn reined Brego in at the top of a large hill, looked down in the valley below...







And saw a huge dark mass moved through the valley...





...At the distance that Aragorn could make out...





...It was an army of Uruk-Hai, thousands strong... ten thousand strong! All marked with the White hand of Saruman upon their armor, helmets, shields, and banners that they all carried. Immediately, Aragorn backed Brego away from the edge of the hill, and turned him, heeling the horse into a canter.



Aragorn quickened the pace of his horse, riding over the hills of the White Mountains. Then suddenly... he saw a black speck in the distance and slowed to a halt for a moment to see who it was...



It was another horseman riding forth towards him. Aragorn peered in closely at the rider when he rode nearer to him. The rider appeared to have brown-spiked, bird-like hair, with a red head band, with a white jacket and pants...



...It was Sanosuke.



"...Sano," spoke Aragorn.

"Aragorn," replied Sanosuke as he stopped by Aragorn, relieved to see him up and about, and on a horse, "...man I'm glad to see you. So it looks like you were able to handle yourself after all."

"...I guess so," Aragorn said sheepishly.

Sanosuke then looked at the horse that Aragorn was riding, and made a look of recognition with his eyes.

"Hey, isn't that the horse that you calmed when it was rowdy?" asked Sanosuke.

"Yes, Sano, this is Brego," answered Aragorn, serenely, "the one who I asked to be set free and was done so. He sensed my affliction and returned to bear me upon his back."

"Whoa," said Sanosuke in great awe, "I'm still a little clueless to how... but I'm glad that he came to you willingly."

"The horse has great feelings, Sano. I can see that you came out here to determine if I was still alive," he assessed of Sanosuke.

"Yeah," answered Sanosuke, then made a sad face, "...so when do I get to fall and come back from the dead. You and Gandalf must be the luckiest people in Middle-Earth, you know that, Aragorn?"



Aragorn gave an embarrassed look at his street-fighting companion, even though he suffered a bad fall.



"We'll get to criticize each other later, Sano," said Aragorn, returning his face to a stern expression, "but now, we must hasten ourselves to Helm's Deep, quickly."

"Why?" asked Sanosuke, "what's happening?"

"A battle is near!" Aragorn said, with alarm, spurring Brego to race his hardest, "all of Rohan must be prepared now!"



Sanosuke hardened his face, sensing that Aragorn was right... and that Saruman was now launching his final assault upon Rohan. With that... he and Aragorn rode together, with all their hardest speed... to the great fortress of Helm's Deep.





Miles and miles of mountainous terrain they covered upon the White Mountains. It was now the early afternoon of the fourth day. And as they topped a hill, Aragorn and Sanosuke could at last see Helm's Deep, in the distance...





"Here we are, Aragorn," said Sanosuke, "Helm's Deep."

"Thank you, Sano," replied Aragorn, with a smile.

"Anytime," nodded Sanosuke.

"Mae carnen, Brego, mellon nîn," Aragorn said to Brego, patting him fondly on the neck.







The horseback duo made their way to the entrance of Helm's Deep. As they entered through the causeway, the refugees were both confused and amazed at the site of Aragorn's return with Sanosuke.

"He's alive!" the refugees cry out.

Gimli, hearing about Aragorn's miraculous return, pushed his way through the crowd. "Where is he?" he asked loudly, "where is he! Get out of the way! I'm going to kill him!"



Aragorn and Sanosuke dismounted off their horses and Gimli made his way through the last few people in his way, to stand in front of Aragorn and Sanosuke.



"You are, the luckiest, the canniest... and the most reckless man I ever knew," said Gimli in amazement, as he embraced Aragorn fondly, "bless you, laddie!"

"We're all glad to see him Gimli," interjected Sanosuke.

"Yes, Sanosuke," replied Gimli, "...its just a bit of a shock, that's all."

"We'll get to being shocked later, Gimli," said Aragorn, "where is the king?"

Gimli gestured with his head, in the direction of the hall within the lofty tower, where Aragorn went off to afterwards.

"What's happening of late, Sanosuke?" asked Gimli.

"We're in trouble, Gimli," replied Sanosuke, forebodingly, "big trouble."







Aragorn, Gimli, and Sanosuke were about to enter the tower, but had a last minute reunion with Legolas. Legolas had put on a serious face, seeing the unexpected arrival of Aragorn...



"Le ab-dollen (/you're late/)," he said. Aragorn and Legolas smiled at each other sarcastically.

Legolas took another quick look at his body. "You look terrible," he said.

"Hey, go easy on him, Legolas," said a sarcastic Sanosuke, "the man suffered a bad fall. Isn't that right, Aragorn?"

Aragorn went speechless at Sanosuke's witty banter about his condition.

Legolas smiled at Sanosuke and replied jokingly, "...yes. Indeed he has, Sanosuke. And he's returned... barely unscathed."



To the side... Éowyn tended to more of the refugees, and heard a great amount of laughing. She turned around... to see Aragorn alive before her eyes, with Sanosuke and Legolas beside him... and smiled joyously with relief, as she got up to run to him.

But Éowyn hesitated when she noticed Legolas handing something to Aragorn with a smile. Aragorn opened his hand and held the Evenstar. Sanosuke smiled lovingly at the jewel's beauty, knowing that Aragorn had missed the sight of it.



"...Hannon le (/thank you/)," said Aragorn as he closed his hand around the jewel.

Éowyn looked on and smiles even as tears filled her eyes. After seeing what Legolas had given Aragorn, she remained where she was. For Éowyn knew that the jewel had reminded Aragorn of his first love, Arwen... and began to fear... that her feelings for Aragorn weren't going to be returned. But then, she remembered what Sanosuke gave her for safekeeping... Kenshin's reverse-blade sword, Hope. She carried it with her wherever she went. Éowyn had it in her hand even now. With this realization... Éowyn mustered enough courage to go up to Sanosuke, to give it back to him... as well as to greet Aragorn for his return.



"Sanosuke," Éowyn called to Sanosuke, handing the reverse-blade sword to him, "...I kept it safe for you, just like you wanted me to."

Sanosuke sighed as he carefully took Hope back from Éowyn. Legolas smiled fondly, observing that Éowyn had willingly kept into safekeeping Kenshin's unkilling weapon, just as he had kept Arwen's pendent for Aragorn.

"Thanks," said Sanosuke in gratitude, "I knew I could count on you to look after it."

"You're welcome," returned Éowyn gracefully, as she bowed fervently.

Éowyn then turned to Aragorn and said joyfully, "my Lord Aragorn... I am so relieved to see you alive."

Aragorn smiled fervently at Éowyn, sensing her feelings of great relief to know that he came back.

The brave ranger came up to Éowyn and responded, "...it is great to see you again... Éowyn."



Éowyn gasped surprisingly, hearing Aragorn calling out her name, so gracefully.





Théoden sat in the main hall, with his advisors... when they all heard a creak at the door. The company looked up from where from where they were...



And gasped in surprise to see Aragorn push his way through the great doors of the hall, alive and well. Aoshi and Saito were also in the main hall with the king of Rohan. Aoshi gasped in surprise, as had Théoden, to see this impossible feat, but not as surprised when he saw the return of Gandalf. Saito, however, was not so surprised, as he was the first one to have thought of the possibility of Aragorn's survival of his fall.



'So,' thought Saito, smirking, while smoking a cigarette, 'the king has returned.'









As much as Théoden and the other soldiers within the hall were glad to see Aragorn there at the fortress... their relief was short-lived... as Aragorn conferred with the king as well as the others about the incoming... and impending danger that lay ahead. Théoden paced restlessly away from Aragorn, after hearing this grave revelation.



"A great host, you say?" asked Théoden, his back to Aragorn.

"All Isengard is emptied," answered Aragorn.

"How many?"

"Ten thousand strong at least," Aragorn reported plainly.

'This isn't good/,' thought Sanosuke, as everyone was shocked to hear this, '.../just what we all need... an army of 10,000 Uruk-Hai.'

Théoden turned to face Aragorn, and asked with perplexity, "...10,000?!"

"It is an army bred for a single purpose," Aragorn told the king gravely, "...to destroy the world of Men."

The fighters wore a face of determination at the looming threat of the great force of Saruman that he had sent to destroy them.

"...They will be here by nightfall," finished Aragorn fatefully.

Théoden with bleak eyes, and gritting teeth... turned and walked away resolutely, as he firmly said, "...let them come!"









Théoden gathered his guards behind the Deeping Wall, informing them of the coming battle. The refugees, in turn, also learn of the threat that will come upon them by dusk.

Théoden, striding along with Gamling, ordered, "I want every man and strong lad, able to bear arms, to be ready for battle by nightfall."



Gamling nodded and went off to carry out his instructions. Théoden then led Sanosuke, Aragorn, Saito, Legolas, Aoshi, and Gimli to the gate of Helm's Deep, overlooking the surrounding landscape.



"I hope you seriously know what you're doing, Théoden," began Saito, "with a host of 10,000 soldiers, this little band of troops that you have will be nothing."

"You underestimate my strategies, Lord Saito," countered Théoden, pointing outward to explain his plan of battle, "we will cover the causeway and the gate from above. No army has ever breached the Deeping wall, or set foot inside the Hornburg."

"Saito is correct, my lord," interjected Gimli, "this is no rabble of mindless orcs. These are Uruk-Hai. Their armor is thick and their shields broad."

"Indeed," added Aoshi, "we've all fought the Uruk-Hai before. This will be an even greater challenge than you think, your highness."

Théoden turned to face Aoshi, and said, "perhaps it is so, Lord Aoshi."

The king then went over to look down at Gimli, adding, "...and I have fought many wars, Master Dwarf. I know how to defend my own keep."



After his last remark, Théoden went back into the fortress with the others following him. Gimli seems miffed. Legolas clapped a hand on Gimli's shoulder as he follows the others back into Helm's Deep.



"They will break upon this fortress like water on rock," Théoden said, continuing to stride through the fortress, with the others behind him, "Saruman's hordes will pillage and burn, we've seen it before. Crops can be resown... homes, rebuilt. Within these walls... we will outlast them."

"They do not come to destroy Rohan's crops or villages!" Aragorn exclaimed in exasperation, "they come to destroy its people... down to the last child!"

"Besides, as far as Saruman's concerned," added Sanosuke, "he considers homes and farms as nothing more than stepping stones that are in his path."



Insulted, Théoden rounded on Aragorn and Sanosuke angrily.



"What would you two have me do?" he asked intensely, gesturing towards the surrounding troops, "look at my men, their courage hangs by a thread. If this is to be our end, then I would have them make such an end... as to be worthy of remembrance."

Finishing his statement, Théoden started to turn away from Aragorn and the others. Running out of options, Aragorn spoke to the king one last time.

"Send out riders, my lord," Aragorn advised Théoden, earnestly, "you must call for aid."

"Théoden," interjected Sanosuke, "I'd be happy to take on these creeps myself like you are, but in this kind of situation, Aragorn's right. You're going to need help on this one."

The king walked up to them and asked contemptuously, "...and who will come? Elves...? Dwarves...?"

Théoden turned to face Sanosuke as he added, "...or perhaps some of the people from your world will somehow... miraculously appear through one of those portals of yours."

Sanosuke had nothing to reply to the king, sympathizing with Théoden's position.



"We are not so lucky in our friends as you... the old alliances are dead," ended Théoden to Aragorn in frustration.

"You won't know that unless you try, your majesty," said Sanosuke.

"Gondor will answer," Aragorn assured Théoden.

"Gondor?!" Théoden asked, growling in fury, "where was Gondor when the Westfold fell? Where was Gondor when our enemies closed in around us? Where was Gon--"

Théoden relaxed his nerves for a moment, while everyone watched him in great sympathy with his actions and behavior after all that had happened to him ever since he was controlled by Saruman's spells.

The king immediately regained his wits and concluded resolutely, "...no, my Lord Aragorn, Lord Sanosuke... we are alone."

With that... the king turned and stalked away angrily, leaving Aragorn, Sanosuke, and the others to worry greatly about Théoden.



'I've been alone most of my life, Théoden,' thought a sympathetic Sanosuke, seeing the king walk away, 'but if it wasn't for Kenshin, I would've felt really lonely. I just hope you won't feel that way yourself.'

"Well," spoke Saito, while lighting a cigarette, "...you guys tried your best."

Sanosuke turned to face Saito, "...are you feeling sympathy for us Saito?"

"Not exactly moron," replied Saito, as he blew smoke, "...but just I'm saying that you did your best. No one can do more than that."

Once again... Sanosuke had nothing to say.





Théoden climbed up the steps to the main hall towards Gamling and ordered, "get the women and children into the caves."

"We need more time to lay provisions for a siege, lord," Gamling reported

"There is no time," returned Théoden, quickly striding away, "war is upon us!"

"Secure the gate," said Gamling, turning to the solders that were manning the gates.



But for all their haste in preparation, they were unaware... that the crebain, Saruman's personal spy crows, were now flying above them and the fortress... watching their every move...











Back in Fangorn Forest, Treebeard continued to walk through the woods, carrying Merry, Misao, and Pippin, descending down towards a large, natural bowl-shaped dell in the heart of the forest, with no trees, save a large thrust of rock in the center. Derndingle, men called it. Two other paths led down into the clearing, from the west and from the east.



"We ents," began Treebeard, "have not troubled about the wars of men and wizards... for a very long time. But now... something is about to happen... that has not happened... for an age..."

"What is about to happen, Treebeard?" asked Misao.

Treebeard stopped where he was in the dingle and replied, gesturing, "...Ent Moot, Lady Misao."

"What's that?" asked Merry.

"It is a gathering." Treebeard rumbled.

"A gathering of what?" asked Merry, looking at the clearing uneasily.



Just then...





The trio heard the squeaking, groaning sounds of protesting wood from within the forest...





It was a company of ents entering the clearing down the other paths from the woods...





The Ents came in great numbers...





More and more Ents came, entering the meeting place where they have always met for this council called Ent Moot...





Misao and the Hobbits were greatly amazed as the Ents drew near towards them.



"Beech... Oak... Chestnut... Ash," said Treebeard, welcoming his fellow ents, "good, good, good... many have come."



The Ents then settled, gazing upon the strange newcomers. Merry, Misao and Pippin in turn, gazed upon the Ents in bewilderment, expecting to see a number of creatures exactly like Treebeard, but saw nothing of the kind. The Ents were as different from one another as trees from trees. However, the trio upon Treebeard knew that they were all the same kindred, with the same kind of eyes... but not as old or so deep as Treebeard's eyes.



"Now we must decide, if the Ents... will go to war," said Treebeard, hopefully.

Merry licked his lips in anticipation while Misao smiled in amazement seeing the great power that the Ents had to offer, hoping that Treebeard and the Ents will decide to fight.

'Man, oh man!' thought Misao, brightly, 'this is good! Treebeard, I really hope that you guys do decide to fight.'/ /











Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or Lord of the Rings. RK is the property of Nobuhiro Watsuki and Lord of the Rings is the property of Professor J. R. R. Tolkien

A/n: I'd like to dedicate this chapter to all of those suffering from cancer, battling with cancer, as well as those who survived cancer, my mom included. And in case some of you didn't know, my new e-mail address is...

Docwho4243@hotmail.com... I already have made the changes in e-mail in my profile page... so feel free to e-mail me, as well as send your reviews, okay.



Sign up to rate and review this story