Categories > Cartoons > American Dragon: Jake Long

Alcohol Addiction Is A Devastating Disease

by KruseElliott4

Hello and welcome. While alcoholism is a destructive disord

Category: American Dragon: Jake Long - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2018-01-10 - 644 words

?Blocked
While alcoholism is a destructive disorder that can destroy lives, certain individuals who have a problem with it manage to hold down difficult professional lives and massive duties. Externally, these supposed high-functioning alcoholics seem to have everything together. They could drive nice vehicles, live in great neighborhoods, and have lots of disposable income.

Nevertheless, simply because they are high-functioning does not suggest that they are immune to the effects of alcohol. They are still at risk of injuring themselves and others around them. For instance, a pilot nursing a hangover, a surgeon with unsteady hands, or a money-lender dealing with large sums of funds are each at-risk of triggering awful tragedies if they continue on their dysfunctional course.

Here are some signs that can guide you in identifying these ticking time bombs:

1. They drink instead of consuming food.

Alcoholics will often change healthy meals with a few alcoholic beverages, lose their appetite for meals altogether, or substitute mealtime as a pretext to start consuming alcohol.
2. They may wake up without a hangover, even after several drinks.

Drinking alcohol routinely over a long period of time may cause the human body to become dependent on alcohol. Often high-functioning alcoholics can drink excessively without the punishing hangover that plagues the irregular drinker.

3. Abstinence makes them irritable, anxious, or otherwise uncomfortable.

If an alcoholic is required to abstain from alcohol consumption, his or her body routinely reacts adversely, as they depend on the sedative effects of alcohol. Suddenly stopping can trigger stress and anxiety, nervousness, perspiring, a rapid heartbeat, as well as seizures.

4. Their patterns of conduct transform considerably while intoxicated on booze.

When they drink, alcoholics might change significantly. For example, a normally pleasant individual may become aggressive, or make spontaneous decisions.
5. They can't have just two alcoholic beverages.

An alcoholic has a problem quiting, and may even "polish off" others' drinks. Alcohol will never be left on the table, and there is always a disguise for "another round.".


6. Time periods of memory loss or "blacking out" are commonplace
Many alcoholics will participate in events that they have no recollection of the following day. They might not seem extremely intoxicated at the time, but they're not able to recall events that happened.

7. Efforts to talk about alcohol related incidents are met with and denial.

When confronted with problems involving their alcohol consumption, problem drinkers will generally fall back to denial or aggression, making discussion problematic.

8. They always have a good explanation for the reason they consume alcohol.

The majority of alcoholics will have a relatively reasonable explanation for their behavior if flat rejection or aggression is not the selected means of evasion. Anxiety on the job, issues at home, or an abundance of social obligations are typical reasons to explain their harmful behavior.

9. They hide their alcohol.

Numerous alcoholics will consume alcohol alone, or slip alcoholic beverages from a bottle in a desk or in their car. This kind of concealed alcohol consumption is an incredible warning sign and there is no other reason for this conduct aside from alcohol addiction.

Let's keep our society efficient, safe, and sober by by being observant for bothersome actions in order to get these struggling coworkers, family members, and friends the helping hand they need.

While alcoholism is a devastating health problem that can destroy lives, some individuals who battle with it manage to hold down demanding jobs and massive duties. From the outside, these supposed high-functioning alcoholics seem to have it all together. They could drive great vehicles, live in excellent communities, and make a substantial income.

Just due to the fact that they're high-functioning does not suggest that they're immune to the effects of alcohol. A pilot nursing a hangover, a surgeon with tremulous hands, or a banker managing big amounts of cash are each at-risk of causing dreadful disasters if they remain on their dysfunctional course.
Sign up to rate and review this story