Categories > Comics > Batman > Reborn

Chapter 2

by Nyelow 0 reviews

Chapter 2

Category: Batman - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Batman,Joker,Nightwing,Penguin - Warnings: [!!!] [V] [X] [R] [?] - Published: 2018-02-04 - 1672 words

1Ambiance
CHAPTER 2

A void of darkness spread over as far as you could see. You couldn't tell if it were day or night - yet completely different, went together so well.

A faint whisper with a hint of chaos echoed throughout the air, "There is a bear in the moon for anyone willing to see it." Red stained lips smiled from ear to ear - as if it were a welcoming of madness with a hint of homage.

There was something comforting about this voice. So comforting that it was uncomfortable.

The blackness obscured the vision of this man. Only bits of glances were visible to the naked eye. His face glowed white, his lips looked of blood, his hair - the hue of a deep green, and his bright blue eyes pierced through glass - a tinge of unnatural humanity had possessed this being... but he was so beautiful.

Heavy gun shots cracked through the trance, the screams of many people chilled through the air, even Harleen couldn't hear her own scream.

"Dr. Quinzel? Dr. Quinzel! Are you okay with this case?" Asked Dr. Channing.

Harleen shook her head of the memory. "Y-yes. Sorry about that. I was having a moment." She gave a very convincing smile, because in all honesty, she was thrilled.

Dr. Channing studied her for a moment. "You know, you're weird. But I like you. How about that dinner and drinks I keep asking you about?"

Harleen cringed. "No thank you. I'm sure you can find someone else to go with, no problem."

"You see, that's the thing! Every single woman would love to be in your position! I'm asking YOU out. You should feel flattered."

Harleen grabbed the thick folder off of her desk and stomped away with authority... Or at least, she tried to look intimidating. Dr. Channing quickly and firmly grabbed her arm, preventing her from going any further.

"Excuse me, Sir! But please take your hands off of me!"

Dr. Channing swirled her around to face him so fast, it almost knocked her glasses right off of her face. He then let go, and Harleen quickly fixed her glasses upon the bridge of her delicate nose.

Furious, Harleen raised her voice, "AND, since when is Joker in Arkham?! Did no one have any desire to tell me?! Everyone here knows that this is the case that I have been waiting for! This man, is the reason why I have become who I am today! He has inspired my degree, my work, and my life!"

Realizing that she just gave her co-worker a speech of passion for a man she hasn't technically met, and is considered one of the most notorious murderers and biggest crime lord... she instantly turned her head in the direction of the door. Clutching the Joker's file close to her chest, Dr. Channing called out, "I WILL have that dinner with you, Harleen! Even if you're just like your patients!"

Being chased out of her own office, wasn't exactly the best day at work. But Harleen was too consumed about her new patient. She held the file even tighter to her chest. This was the moment she had been waiting for. The devotion she spilled into her work, was because of... the Joker. His mind would be the most fascinating thing to pick and prong at with her words. Any other day, she probably would have quit her job, and found another because of Dr. Channing's idiotic and juvenile actions. But today was special - today was why she held out for so long at Arkham.

Wanting to get the details of Joker's arrival, and anything she could possibly get her hands on - Harleen wanted to speak to the head director of the Asylum. Still clutching the Joker's file close to her chest, Harleen approached the black and silver plated reception desk, whom also had security breathing down your neck. Harleen carefully smudged her glasses back up her nose and carefully asked, "I would like to speak to Dr. Flimmel, please. It's about the case I just received. You see, I-"

"Dr. Flimmel has been expecting you, Dr. Quinzel." The dark-haired female receptionist interrupted. "He will see you now."

"Thank you."

Coming to an office that you would think would contain a King's throne, the gold name plaque spread across the double doors read:

'Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane: Director's Office'

Harleen politely knocked first. "Come in!" Demanded a man's voice.

With a loud buzz, the automatic locks deactivated for entry. She slowly opened the double doors, which took a little effort. Harleen had never been in the Director's office before. She never really needed to. But today... today was special for her. A slight grin escaped her lips - and with that, Dr. Flimmel took that as an invitation. "Well now, I didn't think you would be so excited to see my office!" He exclaimed. "I thought you would be more nervous about your new patient! Can I show you around?"

"Um, no thank you. I just wanted a little more insight on how and when the Joker arrived in Arkham. I thought he was untouchable."

Taken aback by Harleen declining his invintation to show her around his 'throne', Dr. Flimmel smirked. "Okay, have a seat Harleen. I can call you Harleen, right? I'm sure you don't mind." Before she could even reply, he turned his back and walked to his impressively substantial wooden desk. Sitting Lions were carved at each end of the desk as the base.
The room seemed like a vast chamber of a bad dream. Almost like a room that you were taken to, to learn of your demise... like the walls were built out of a part of each insane and deranged individual that ever walked the halls of the Arkham Asylum. Not even her office was this unsettling. It was cool to look at, but unsettling.

As they sat down, Dr. Flimmel began. "The Batman contained Joker. Not even he knows how he did it... it was almost like... the Joker wanted to be caught. Only God knows why, but we sure don't."

Harleen's eyes filled with such facination, something like that would be considered dangerous. Why would the Joker want to come to Arkham? Out of boredom? Or was it apart of a bigger plan that he's already thought out? Harleen knew that the Joker was a genius. And to question his motives would be a risky thing to do... She loved the thrill.

"But other than that." Dr. Flimmel continued, "Nothing else is known about the infamous Joker. And that is up to you, Harleen. Considering that you've had a brief encounter with the Clown in the past, and lived to see the light of day again..."

Harleen suddenly remembered her distant memory that came to her in her office earlier, but quickly shook it off, and continued to listen to Dr. Flimmel.

"The staff board and I thought that you were the best candidate for such a complex, and dangerous case. You seem to... uh, have a way with the criminally insane."

Harleen glowed with such energy and inspiration - it was hard to miss the look in her eyes.

Dr. Flimmel squinted at her, as if trying to understand what she was thinking. He continued, "You will be provided with the proper security clearance, and will be guarded closely with your sessions with the Joker. Find out what makes him tick. Find out who he is. Find out how to break him. Find anything, and there will be some very happy people. If you can get through to him, it would be a miracle."

"Has anyone tried to speak with him yet?"

Dr. Flimmel chuckled, but not out of amusement, "He's been here for four days. The only reason why you're just hearing of this now - is because we gave this case to Dr. McDonald from Incrane Asylum in Alaska. One of the best Psychiatrists in the world. He flew here immediately on such a case..."

Harleen sat patiently, waiting for him to finish - as Dr. Flimmel took a deep breath, picked up a glass square decanter, and poured himself a glass of Brandy. Swigging it down, he continued, "Apparently the Joker didn't like McDonald's name. That didn't end very well for Dr. McDonald. He's currently in ICU at the Gotham Hospital."

That baffled Harleen. "Didn't you have security?"

"Indeed, we did. Joker is quick, witty..." Dr. Flimmel exhaled, "Smart."

A moment of silence.

"He will be properly detained, I can assure you."

Harleen didn't want to lie to herself... but she must admit, she was a bit nervous.

"Anyway!" Dr. Flimmel exclaimed, "You start tomorrow. Here is your new badge." Dr. Flimmel handed Harleen her new access card, but kept a firm hold of it when she grabbed it, and stared into her stunning blue eyes through her crystal clear glasses - lowering his voice so that it sounded more of a threat than a concern, "And don't be stupid."

Harleen hesitated, with both of them still having firm hold of the access card - before Dr. Flimmel let go. Harleen put the new card into her white lab coat and calmly confirmed, " I know that the Joker is full of manipulating lies. I know that he likes to play games, and I won't let him get under my skin. You can count on me, Doctor."

"Good. Because I'd hate to see a beautiful and smart mind go to waste. By the way, would you like to go to dinner?"

Harleen annoyingly closed her eyes, and inhaled deeply, "No thank you, Sir. I've got work to do."

"You better watch that tone, Harleen. Or I might give you something to talk about." Dr. Flimmel chuckled.

Still clutching her file, and without looking back, Harleen walked as quickly as her heels would carry her - right out of Dr. Flimmel's office.

"Sometimes," She said to herself, "I think the wrong people are admitted to Arkham.".
Sign up to rate and review this story