Categories > Comics > Calvin and Hobbes

Alcoholism Is A Dreadful Condition

by AshworthCurrin6 0 reviews

I use this blog for understanding While alcohol dependence is a terri

Category: Calvin and Hobbes - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2018-02-16 - 658 words

0Unrated
While alcohol dependence is a terrible disease that can destroy lives, certain individuals who have a problem with it manage to hold down substantial duties and difficult careers. Externally, these supposed high-functioning alcoholics seem to have everything together. They can drive nice cars, live in terrific areas, and have lots of disposable income.

However, just because they are high-functioning does not imply that they are immune to the consequences of alcohol. They're still at risk of injuring themselves and others near them. For instance, a pilot nursing a hangover, a surgeon with shaky hands, or a money-lender handling large amounts of funds are each in danger of triggering horrible tragedies if they continue on their unhealthy path.

Here are some indications that could guide you in detecting these ticking time bombs:


1. They consume alcohol rather than eating.

Alcoholics will often replace healthy meals with a couple of cocktails, lose their appetite for food completely, or use mealtime as a reason to begin drinking alcohol.
2. They may get out of bed without a hangover, even after numerous cocktails.

Drinking alcohol regularly over a long period of time may cause the body to come to be dependent on alcohol. Routinely high-functioning alcoholics are able to drink a lot without the same hangover that torments the occasional drinker.

3. No alcohol makes them grouchy, anxious, or otherwise uncomfortable.

If an alcoholic is compelled to abstain from drinking, his or her body often reacts adversely, as they are dependent on the sedative effects of alcohol. Abruptly stopping can cause stress and anxiety, anxiousness, perspiring, an elevated heart rate, as well as convulsions.

4. Their behavior patterns change substantially while intoxicated on booze.

When they drink, alcoholics might transform significantly. For example, a typically pleasant individual might end up being aggressive, or make spontaneous choices.
5. They can't have only 2 drinks.

An alcoholic has a difficult time stopping, and may even "polish off" other people's' alcoholic beverages. Alcohol will never be left on the table, and there is always a reason for "one more round.".

6. Time periods of amnesia or "blacking out" are commonplace
Quite a few people dependent on alcohol will participate in events that they have no recollection of the following day. They may not seem significantly inebriated at the time, however they're unable to remember events that happened.

7. Attempts to talk about drinking behavior are received with anger and denial.

When confronted with concerns surrounding their alcohol intake, problem drinkers will normally fall back to denial or aggression, making discussion challenging.

8. They always have a good explanation for the reason that they drink.

If flat denial or anger is not the chosen means of avoidance, many alcoholics will have an outwardly reasonable explanation for their behavior. Stress at work, issues at home, or a bounty of social obligations are prevalent reasons to account for their destructive actions.

9. They conceal their alcohol.

Lots of alcoholics will drink alone, or sneak drinks from a bottle in a desk or in their vehicle. This kind of concealed drinking is a significant warning sign and there is no other reason for this behavior other than alcoholism.

Let's keep our society efficient, safe, and sober by keeping our eyes open for problematic conduct in an effort to get these troubled colleagues, family, and close friends the helping hand they require.

While alcohol addiction is a destructive illness that can and does damage lives, some people who struggle with it manage to hold down substantial responsibilities and stressful jobs. From the outdoors, these supposed high-functioning alcoholics appear to have it all together. They can drive good automobiles, live in excellent communities, and make a significant income.

Just due to the fact that they're high-functioning does not mean that they're immune to the effects of alcohol. A pilot nursing a hangover, a doctor performing surgery with trembling hands, or a banker handling big amounts of cash are each at-risk of causing awful disasters if they remain on their dysfunctional course.
Sign up to rate and review this story