Categories > Anime/Manga > Yami no Matsuei > Surreal Vanilla

Alright Again

by Noizchild 0 reviews

Mamoru spills his soul to Kyosuke and Watari. The shinigami move to help fix things.

Category: Yami no Matsuei - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Watari - Published: 2018-02-26 - 898 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter Twelve: Alright Again:

"But… but… You're dead!" Mamoru said.

"Yes," Kyosuke said.

"So… Are you a ghost?"

"No."

"Demon?"

"No."

Mamoru stepped backward. "Then… what are you?" Kyosuke turned to Watari.

"Should I?" his eyes asked. Watari patted him on the shoulder. The younger shinigami took a breath.

"I'm a shinigami," he said.

"What?" Mamoru asked. The words slowly sank in. His face drained of color.

"Wait! Am I going to…?" he began to ask. "No. No! I don't want to die! I'm too young!" His brother put up his hands.

"Calm down!" he said. "I'm not here for that! I want to help you." The younger brother blinked.

"What?" he asked.

"I've been watching you for some time now," Kyosuke said. "Why are you doing this to yourself?" Mamoru lowered his head.

"You wouldn't understand," he said.

"Try me," his brother said. The young man dropped his shoulders.

The boys sat on the steps. Mamoru turned to Watari.

"Uh… Who are you?" he asked.

"Allow me to introduce myself," the blonde scientist said. "My name is Watari Yukata. Pleasure to meet you."

"Uh-huh…" Mamoru said.

"Tell me what's going on," Kyosuke said. "I won't get mad. I just want to help." His brother looked down at his hands.

"You remember Tsubaki, right?" he asked.

"Tsubaki? Tsubaki? Do mean Sonohara Tsubaki?" Kyosuke asked. Mamoru nodded once.

"How is she?" Kyosuke asked.

"Not good," the younger brother said. "She has a boyfriend now. And he's just sleazy." Mamoru rested his elbows on his lap.

"I don't know the details, but she always begs me for money. I can't keep doing this for her."

"Where are you getting the money?" the shinigami brother asked. Mamoru pressed his lips together. Kyosuke frowned.

"You didn't!" he said, gasping.

"I had no choice," Mamoru said. "The deposit box was open the first time. I have been taking small amounts. Michiko apparently didn't notice. But now, she's asking questions."

"How much do you owe?" Watari asked. Mamoru's body went tense.

"Is it a big amount?" Kyosuke asked. "How big?"

"Um…" the younger brother said.

"How much?"

Mamoru replied. "1,069,051¥."

"What?!"

"I'm sorry." The young man lowered his head.

"I'm not the one you should apologize to." Kyosuke sighed.

"Tsubaki's in trouble," Mamoru said. "I don't know how to help her. That guy's just using her and I get her away from him. I don't know how to help her. She won't listen to me anymore. I'm worried that this boyfriend's going to pimp her out or worse!" He grabbed Kyosuke by the arm.

"Brother! If you want to help me, then help her!" Mamoru said. "Please?" Kyosuke stared for a second before strengthening his resolve.

"Okay," he said.

"Thank you!" Mamoru said. Kyosuke hoped that he could keep his word.

-8:25 p.m.-

A girl with long brown hair waited in a fancy restaurant. Despite being all dolled up in make-up and jewels, she looked like she wanted to cry. She looked at her phone. No calls. No texts. He promised that he would show up. They were to meet at six for dinner. That was two hours ago. The girl sighed and looked at her phone.

Why do I bother?

"Is this seat taken?" a voice asked. The girl looked up. Watari stood at her table.

"Uh… who are you?" she asked. The shinigami bowed.

"Allow me to introduce myself," he said. "I am Watari. And you are?"

The girl blinked. "Tsubaki."

"I see. May I?"

"Why?"

"I need to talk to you."

"About what?"

Watari took his seat at the table. "Are you really happy right now?"

"E-Excuse me?"

Watari tilted his head. "You look you're about to cry."

"No I don't." Her lower lip trembled.

"It's okay," Watari said. "Just let it out." Tears welled up in her eyes.

"I don't want to be alone," Tsubaki whimpered. The blonde scientist handed her a handkerchief.

"Shhh," he whispered. "Take your time if you need to." Tsubaki lowered her head and cried. A waiter walked by, staring.

"Is she okay?" he mouthed. Watari waved him off. The waiter shrugged and went back to work. The shinigami turned back to the crying girl. Tsubaki wept like she would cry for days.

Kyosuke and Mamoru waited outside of the restaurant. The older brother nudged the young man forward.

"Go on," he said. "Talk to her." Mamoru turned his head.

"Wait, what do I say?" he asked.

"Just be there for her," Kyosuke said. "Ask her how she is." Mamoru opened his mouth. His brother put up his hand.

"We'll deal with the boyfriend and the money," he said. "Just talk to Tsubaki." Mamoru stared at him, nodding.

"Thank you," he said. The young man turned to see Tsubaki walking out. Her make-up was ruined.

"Tsubaki… -chan…" Mamoru said. His dear friend whimpered.

"Mamoru-kun," she said. "I messed up. Really messed up! What am I going to do?" Mamoru pulled her into his arms. She cried on his shoulder.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered. The young man looked up to the sky.

-August 14th, 2011-

-7:00 a.m.-

Mamoru sat at the living room table with an envelope of money in front of him. He waited to see Michiko to explain his crimes. He shut his eyes and replayed the words in his head. Oh boy…

He opened his eyes when he heard footsteps.
Sign up to rate and review this story