Categories > Books > Animorphs

So Close and Far Away

by Quillian 1 review

A one-shot concerning Elfangor and how much he misses what he had back on Earth...

Category: Animorphs - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Elfangor - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2005-06-26 - Updated: 2005-06-26 - 633 words - Complete

2Ambiance
DISCLAIMER: I don't own /Animorphs/. K.A. Applegate does, along with all the other books she's written or is currently writing.

NOTE: If you haven't read The Andalite Chronicles first, then this may not make any sense. This is from Elfangor's POV, and chronologically takes place between The Andalite Chronicles and the first book in the series, /The Invasion/.



/"So Close and Far Away,"/

By Quillian



Dedicated to metroid13, whose /Animorphs fic "A Prince's Life" inspired this./



My name is Elfangor-Sirinial-Shamtul.

It had been some years since I had left Earth, after the Ellimist came along and essentially made me return to where I belonged.

I fought in battles against the Yeerks since then, winning some and losing some.

But I never forgot about my time on Earth.

On the outside, I was warrior (and eventually war-prince) Elfangor. No one knew about my thoughts on the inside, as I thought about what I had left behind.

My wife and love, Loren, and my then-unborn son.

Sometimes, I felt like I was so close to them... and yet, at other times, so far away.

But I remember, just recently, one time when I came so close to the opportunity of seeing them again that I could almost taste it (pardon the human expression).

I was assigned to scout Earth's solar system for any signs of Yeerks or Skrit Na. On the way there, I couldn't help but be reminded of a crucial memory; if it weren't for the Skrit Na, I would have never met Loren.

Earth is the third of the nine planets in its solar system. The first four are small, terrestrial planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth itself, and Mars); then come four gas giants with multiple moons (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune); and finally a miserable little icy world which is also terrestrial (Pluto). Earth sits in a very thin zone between heat and cold.

Taking a small break, I parked my personal ship in orbit around the fourth planet which the humans call Mars. Skillfully avoiding collision with either of its two small moons, Phobos and Deimos, I looked out to the beautiful planet I had left behind.

I could see its deep blue oceans, swathed with green and brown landmasses, covered by swirls of white clouds. Looking closely, I thought I could make out the rough area on one of its landmasses where Loren and I had lived.

Abandoning all pretense, I piloted my ship closer to Earth's moon, unable to think of my assigned duties or anything else at the moment.

Eventually, I landed on Earth's moon, in one of its craters. The moon is just a giant crater-covered rock, practically dead in comparison to the planet it orbits. Looking up, I could see Earth much better.

Light from its yellow sun sparkled off its shimmering blue oceans, illuminating the green and brown landmasses underneath white clouds. Now I could clearly see the small area where Loren and I had lived. Just then I wondered if Loren and her - our - son were still living in that same area.

Did it really matter? I knew both of them were still down there... /somewhere/.

I felt so close to them... and yet, so far away at the same time.

I don't know how long I was there for, watching Earth from its moon, but sooner or later, my summons brought my attention back to the present matter. Our work in the Sol system was done; it was time for me to return to my Dome ship.

Just as the Dome ship rocketed away and jumped into Z-space, I got one last glimpse of that glittering jewel called Earth, and made myself I promise.

One day, I would return there... one way or another.


/FIN/

A/N: So how was this? -Quillian
Sign up to rate and review this story