Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Moments in Love

The End of the Line: Part 1

by Gandalfs_Beard 0 reviews

Lucius Malfoy males his move. And a power shift at Hogwarts has sweeping ramifications. Suggestive Themes...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Harry,Hermione - Published: 2018-03-03 - 7908 words

0Unrated

The End of the Line: Part 1

Of all the Unaffiliated, Harry’s sense of premonition was perhaps the most finely attuned. He woke with a start the morning following the quidditch match, his heart pounding. Casting his eyes towards the window, he noticed that the cold light of dawn had a wintry hue. Crookshanks yawned and peered at Harry with amber eyes. He climbed onto Harry’s chest where he lay for a few moments and purred as if to tell Harry to go with his gut instincts. Then Crookshanks jumped off and trotted out of the room.

Harry put on his slippers and dressing gown, got out of bed and padded over to the window. Sure enough, a thick blanket of white lay upon the ground and the snow was coming down in heavy flurries. Hermione stirred, reaching out an arm to put around Harry. When she found nobody in the bed beside her she opened her bleary eyes and yawned, spying Harry staring out of the window.

“Mmm... Harry, it’s still early and it’s Sunday. Why don’t you come back to bed!? ... Harry? ... Earth to Harry!”

“Hunh...? Oh, Hermione - you’re awake. Sorry!”

“Come back to bed Harry. Are you alright?”

“Er... yeah! I’m okay I s’pose. I’m just feeling a bit out of sorts... Something bad is going to happen soon - I just know it! I think we should start getting ready to do a bunk.”

“I agree Harry,” Hermione sighed. Then she gave Harry a naughty smile and pulled her nightie over her head. “But I think we’ve got a bit of time left...”

Harry's brooding look was replaced with a lopsided grin. He couldn’t resist the sight of Hermione undressed. Harry pounced back onto the bed eagerly, tugging off his pyjamas.

Hermione let out a little gasp of pleasure as Harry trailed his kisses from one end of her to another. She squeaked when she felt the first tremors of ecstasy rippling through her. Harry continued his ministrations without pausing to allow Hermione time to recover. She lost herself again as another wave of bliss swept her away, and the bed rocked with the euphoric rhythms of ardour.

Harry and Hermione gave themselves over to the maelstrom of passion which swirled around them, the magic crackling and arcing in a dazzling rainbow of colours, shaking the bedroom - both falling into oblivion upon completion. As Hermione came to in Harry’s arms she showered him with little kisses - happy to see him looking more relaxed.

“Thanks Harry! That was nice... I feel much better now.”

“Yeah... me too!” Harry grinned. “I think we both needed that.”

The Potters shared a hot bath before dressing and getting on with their day. An hour and a half later they were in the Room of Requirement for a confab with their friends, making arrangements for any potential set of circumstances.

“...and so we’ll probably be needing a distraction,” said Harry after laying out the general plan.

“...Distractions are our speciality,” Fred told Harry, grinning. “We’ll have the mayhem ready as ordered Harry...”

“...Just give us the word,” George added cheerily.

“Right then,” said Dora, “As a teacher’s assistant Fleur can stick with you lot through all of your classes. I’ll manage to be around in one form or another and we’ll stay in contact with the mirrors.”

“Excellent!” said Harry, nodding in agreement. “Any of us who are going should stick close together. That could be an issue for you Luna if you’re still coming with us...”

“Of course I’m coming, Harry!” said Luna firmly. “I said I would and I meant it! Just mirror-call me when it’s time... Are you sure you won’t join us Ginny?”

“I wish I could,” Ginny moaned. “But we can’t risk it with the Trace on me. I’d just give you lot away. Don’t worry Luna, I’ll be fine... really! Percy still seems to like me and I doubt the Carrows will want to risk upsetting him.”

“Okay,” said Harry, “Now what about you Parvati? You’d probably be relatively safe here too. I know you don’t have the Trace on you anymore, but you don’t have to come with us...”

“I’ve made up my mind,” said Parvati, “I’m going with you and Hermione too.”

“And of course Daphne and Jennifer are coming too,” said Hermione. “That just leaves you and Hannah, Neville. You’re both pureblood so you should be safe as long as you keep your head down. Promise me that you and Hannah won’t do anything rash while we’re gone...”

“Erm... yeah!” said Neville uncertainly. “I promise, Hermione.”

Harry raised his eyebrows, detecting a hint of ambivalence in Neville’s tone. Neville glanced away. Harry shook his head and sighed, hoping that Hannah would keep Neville in line. For all of Neville’s generally mellow nature and rocky self-confidence, Harry knew that Neville had a headstrong streak in him not altogether unlike his own.

~o0o~

The Potters were rather surprised when they found Mr Carrow sitting in on Potions Class on Monday with his clipboard. For once Mr Carrow seemed to be relatively satisfied, looking bored if anything, and apparently seeing little to criticise in Snape. Professor Snape appeared as inscrutable as ever, seemingly doing his best to ignore Amycus Carrow.

The atmosphere of the classroom, often heavy with steam and smells, was thick with the almost unbearable clouds of smugness emanating from Draco Malfoy. Harry and Hermione shared a look. Hermione shook her head and they returned their attention to the potion which they were working on.

At the end of the lesson when Malfoy turned in his potion, Snape was forced to acknowledge him. Draco, never particularly good at keeping his thoughts or mood in check at the best of times, could barely contain his glee. Snape’s dark eyes glittered angrily as he watched Draco depart the dungeon classroom, following the Inquisitor.

Professor Snape spied the Potters looking at him with concern, and for a moment they could almost discern him trying to imperceptibly communicate with them. Then Snape’s walls went up and the door to his mind slammed shut.

Silently, Harry turned in the potion which he and Hermione had been working on. He raised his eyebrows questioningly at Snape, but the Potions professor said nothing.

“What do you think that was all about Hermione?” Harry quietly asked her as they left the dungeon, falling slightly behind Daphne, Parvati, and Jennifer. “It seemed like something was up between him and Malfoy.”

“I think you’re right Harry,” Hermione replied with nearly a whisper. “I’m not sure how much longer Snape is going to be teaching Potions. Professor Slughorn may have to fill in after all...”

“Blimey... are you serious?” Harry’s blood ran cold. “I would have thought they were going after Dumbledore first...”

“I think they still are Harry...” Worry crossed Hermione’s features. “This was something else... definitely something to do with Malfoy, like you said. Snape must have read Draco’s mind. There’s no way to know what Snape saw though.”

Harry considered the possibilities and his features darkened. There was only one thing which made any sense him.

“Narcissa Black... Lucius Malfoy is going to try and get revenge on her for leaving him. I just know it! And Snape means to stop him... even if he has to kill him!”

“You might be right Harry...” Hermione bit her lip and peered at Harry thoughtfully, wondering if he’d somehow naturally picked up a bit of Legilimency.

~o0o~

As he watched his students leaving the Potions classroom, Severus Snape hoped that the Potters’ latent abilities - which all humans had, even muggles - were enough to pick up at least the gist of the information which he had been trying to convey without tipping off Draco Malfoy or Amycus Carrow that he had gleaned an inkling of what was to come from their minds.

Of the two, Snape suspected that Harry’s natural skill level as a legilimens was more advanced, due to having a modicum of practice given his connection to the now defunct Dark Lord. On the other hand, Mrs Potter’s mind was more focused and disciplined, giving her a clear advantage as a legilimens.

In any case, that wasn’t what concerned him the most at the moment. Severus swallowed anxiously as he pondered the efficacy of the Protection Charms which warded Narcissa Black’s estate. He reached into his desk for his mirror, briefly considering the irony of using a device based on the ones owned by Sirius Black and James Potter. They had quickly become a ubiquitous item among Order members once Dumbledore had reverse-engineered those belonging to the Marauders.

Snape tapped the mirror, uttering a name, “Filius Flitwick.”

“Ah... Severus, I was hoping to have a chance to speak with you today,” the diminutive Charms Master responded moments later. “I wanted to confer with you regarding the Potters - to be certain that we are all providing them the tools which they will undoubtedly require in the very near future.”

“Quite,” the Potions Master said drily. “Well, you shall have ample opportunity Filius. If you would be so kind as to meet me at Narcissa Black’s Estate after classes today. I wish to appraise and fortify the Protection Charms...”

“Of course,” Filius Flitwick replied without hesitation. “It is imperative that the Order maintain top notch security for our meeting place.”

“It is more than that...” Severus began stiffly. He paused uncomfortably, still unused to discussing things which reflected on his personal feelings with his colleagues, even insofar as he had come to consider some of them friends. “I believe that Madam Black - Narcissa - she is in danger...”

“I see,” Filius regarded Severus’s pained countenance gravely.

When Severus was no longer forthcoming, Filius was certain that the Potions Master was holding back on some information, still too reticent to completely reveal himself. But Filius Flitwick was no intellectual slouch. It was clear enough from Snape’s expression that he intended to personally kill Lucius Malfoy if the opportunity presented itself... and that the Potions Master believed the opportunity to be imminent.

~o0o~

Severus Snape awoke with a start. He sensed that it was well after midnight, but he knew immediately that something wasn’t right. At the conclusion of the Quidditch match on Saturday, Severus had been left with a deeply unsettled feeling. But not because the team of the House for which he was the Master had lost the match.

To the contrary, he had felt a measure of satisfaction at the outcome. No, Severus had been disturbed because he had discerned that events were coming to a head. And now... now he sensed that someone else was in the room with him.

“Light!” Severus muttered, and the warm glow of the bedside lamp lit part of the room, casting eerie shadows. A tall figure stepped out of the darkness.

Snape’s eyes widened in recognition of the lanky wizard with long platinum blond hair pointing his wand at him. Wildly, Severus looked around for Narcissa, but she was nowhere to be seen in the bedchamber.

“Looking for someone?” snarled Lucius Malfoy, “My treacherous bitch of a wife perhaps?”

“She is no longer yours,” Severus said coldly as he quelled his disquiet. “Your loss was of your own making...”

“Perhaps so, old friend,” Lucius hissed sarcastically through gritted teeth. “And perhaps I shall make her mine again - if only to show her the true meaning of pain...”

“Where is she?” Severus asked calmly as he stared into Lucius’s glacial blue eyes. “What have you done with her?”

“Oh, nothing yet,” replied Lucius evenly. He tapped his temple with his forefinger. “And don’t bother looking here. You will not find anything without your wand. My defences are strong.”

Severus cursed inwardly. Lucius was correct; Snape could not break through those walls without his wand. But there was something off about Lucius Malfoy’s demeanor.

“You don’t even have her, do you?” Severus raised an eyebrow.

Lucius faltered slightly, wondering if his old friend’s abilities were more prodigious than he had believed. Lucius snorted.

“Heh, she will be mine again soon enough,” sneered the elder Malfoy, “Narcissa cannot evade Warlock Nott and the others for long. And after we find her, I shall... no... we shall teach her a lesson that she will never forget, and then... then I shall put an end to her miserable life... and your own as well!”

Severus couldn’t help himself; his nostrils flared and a hiss of anger escaped. If only he had his wand.

“How did you get in?” he asked, stalling for time as he reached out with his mind to locate and retrieve his wand.

“These old manors all have secret passages,” Lucius sneered, “It wasn’t difficult to find an entrance with the right spells at my fingertips. Now get up... slowly...”

Snape sighed. Of course there were hidden tunnels which linked the estate to the outside world, and plausibly one which even Narcissa had never been aware of.

“I suppose you have my wand already,” Severus muttered as he slowly climbed out of bed and pulled on his trousers. “...No doubt hidden in your robes. Quite stealthy of you I must say... How long have you been here?”

“Not long... but long enough,” Lucius smirked. “And nice try, old friend, but you shan’t be overpowering me and reclaiming your wand - I gave it to Cassius to hold onto. Now move... we’re going to take a little walk and we’re going to find my ex-wife!”

At Lucius Malfoy’s wandpoint, Severus silently traipsed through the Manor House from room to room looking for Narcissa, and he dared to hope that she had already escaped. Perhaps she had got up to relieve herself and discovered that her home had been invaded.

“Well, somewhere on the grounds perhaps!” Lucius exclaimed wearily, “No matter... she shall not evade me forever. Come on - outside!”

As the clouds above parted, the cold moonlight cast a pearly glow across the otherwise shadowed estate. The blades of grass felt crisp and frosty under Severus Snape’s bare feet, and the bitter chill of the night air crawled across his shirtless torso, raising goosebumps. Nearly fifteen minutes passed as the pair strolled across the lawn and through the gardens. A rustling sound at the end of a hedgerow caught both of their attentions.

“There you are Mr Malfoy... Sir!” said a pleased looking Snatcher with a shaved head. “We got ‘er... just around the corner. Me an’ Bob an’ your mate, Mr Nott... we caught ‘er tryin’ to get outta the gate not five minutes ago.”

“Very good...” a cruel smirk crept to Lucius Malfoy’s lips, “It would appear that the Minister’s recruitment efforts were not in vain. I must admit I had misgivings about the Minister’s plan to bring you and your... compatriots... into the fold.”

“Yeah... I s’pose so,” snorted the hooligan clad in leather jacket, chains, and blue jeans. “Well, not alla us managed ta graduate from ‘ogwarts. But that don’ mean we didn’ learn nuffink... We know enough ta get by and make our way in the world quite comfortably really...”

The three wizards stepped around the corner of the hedge and spied two more wizards holding a witch in a nightgown at wandpoint further down the path.

“Severus,” moaned Narcissa, “I had hoped you might have escaped...”

“And I... you,” sighed the Potions Master as he struggled to maintain control of his breathing and heart-rate.

“Yes... yes, this is all very touching, I must say!” Lucius sneered. “Much more intimate than I have experienced with my dear wife in some years... Well, I think I will enjoy a moment of ‘intimacy’ with you myself before I make our goodbye permanent... Narcissa...

“And no doubt these fine young lads and Cassius would like to join in the fun. Severus, you can watch. But first, Narcissa, perhaps a taste of the punishment which is to follow...”

Severus regarded the Snatcher named Bob, and Nott with a keen eye. There was something about the elder Nott which seemed odd - almost beseeching. Severus peered deeper into Warlock Nott’s unblinking eyes.

Cassius Nott had learned through the Minister that his son had been “captured” by Dumbledore, and been given some measure of reprieve. Pleased that Theodore had taken the opportunity to escape and had been given safe haven at Hogwarts by the headmaster, Cassius knew that his own time to redeem himself had finally arrived. Opening his mind wide, Cassius allowed Snape to see all that he needed to see.

Lucius raised his wand and pointed it at Narcissa. “Crucio...” he incanted, and Narcissa fell to the ground screaming in agony.

Then something happened which Lucius had not anticipated. Cassius flung Snape’s wand into the air and fired a green bolt of lightning from his own wand at the Snatcher beside him. For a very brief moment shock halted Lucius in his tracks.

In that instant, Severus summoned his wand from midair as the Snatcher named Bob fell dead. Lucius Malfoy recovered himself at the same time, his eyes still on Nott.

“TRAITOR!” roared Lucius, a green arc of magic leaping from the end of his own wand towards Cassius Nott.

Cassius collapsed to the ground. As the light went out in Warlock Nott’s eyes, and his last rattling breath escaped his lips, his final thought was for the safety of his wife and his son.

Enraged, Lucius whirled around to face Severus, but it was already too late. The bald-headed Snatcher beside him already lay dead, and the green lightning from Snape’s wand struck Lucius in the chest.

Severus Snape stood stock still for a moment, hardly believing what had occurred in such a short space of time. His nostrils flared as he felt a swell of satisfaction at ending the life of one who had been present for the murder of Lily Potter. With the Dark Lord, MacNair, and Wormtail dead also, Severus’s eternal beloved was finally avenged in full.

The sound of sobbing brought Snape back from his brief reverie and he was reminded that there was one who still needed him, one whom he had come to care for more deeply than he had thought possible.

“Narcissa,” he murmured, kneeling down beside her and taking her in his arms.

Severus held the weeping witch to his bare chest as her pain from the Cruciatus Curse ebbed, pressing his lips to her forehead. The night no longer seemed cold as Severus felt Narcissa’s warmth stir near his beating heart. Narcissa was alive and that was all that mattered.

As the world around them faded, Severus lost track of the passage of time. Never had he believed that another could possibly make him feel as Lily had. Severus had thought himself destined to wallow in bitterness and loneliness to the very end of his days.

Severus knew then that somehow, through Lily’s son and her daughter-in-law, he had been given a second chance at living and love - a chance to get it right. He had been given a second opportunity to care about another, and to put their life and their suffering before his own.

Severus had no idea how long he had been holding Narcissa when he felt her wet cheeks and her lips against his. They shared a deep kiss, and when they parted, gazed into each other’s eyes as he brushed the strands of hair from her glistening lashes.

Slowly Severus helped Narcissa to her feet and they turned their attention to the four bodies which lay before them as reality intruded on their interlude. They both regarded the fallen Malfoy coldly, but Severus sensed a stab of regret course through Narcissa.

“Severus, what are we to do? My son...”

“...was quite aware of his father’s designs, I can assure you,” Snape murmured. “I wish it were not so. But when I witnessed the plans of Lucius for you in his mind... I saw nothing but the savage joy of vengeance in Draco’s heart.”

Severus felt Narcissa flinch as she released another sob, and gave her another sorrowful kiss.

“Perhaps... Draco might come around... if he knew his father is dead...” Narcissa said hopefully.

“No doubt he will soon enough,” sighed the Potions Master, “but it shall only further harden his heart.”

With one final look, Snape waved his wand and blankets covered the bodies. “These can wait until morning. We can make a decision after Dumbledore inspects the scene. For now, it would perhaps be best if we returned to bed.”

~o0o~

Under the grey skies of dawn five wizards examined the tableau as a sprinkle of rain began to patter on the graveled path beside the hedgerow. Severus conjured an umbrella and held it over Narcissa.

“Never thought scum like Nott had it in him,” snorted Alastor Moody. “Comin’ round like that in the end. Good for him!”

“Indeed!” Dumbledore replied, his voice grave. “For which I am most grateful - Severus and Narcissa might not be standing among us now otherwise.”

“So, what should we do with them Albus?” asked Madam Bones uncomfortably, gesturing towards the dead. “We cannot simply turn their bodies over to the Ministry under current circumstances, nor can we allow Severus to be arrested. And yet...”

“I quite agree Amelia,” Dumbledore nodded, stroking his long white beard which was dampening as the raindrops continued to fall. “It would be most uncivilised to dispose of them without any regard for human decency. For now, perhaps it would be best to simply preserve them in the estate’s mausoleum until such a time as we can arrange for proper burials... if Narcissa would not mind.”

“Of course Albus...” Narcissa quickly agreed. “It would be fitting.”

She swallowed as she regarded her ex-husband’s corpse. As much as she had come to revile him, Narcissa could not forget that at one time - before his eager contributions to the horrors of the first war had come between them - she had grown to love him. And she recalled the hope that had come with the birth of her son, a hope that now seemed broken beyond repair.

“And my son - Draco - should he be told?” Narcissa raised her eyebrows, a tear trickling down one cheek.

She already knew the answer. Severus had shown her what he had seen in Draco’s mind in her Pensieve before the arrival of Dumbledore. But she still found it difficult to accept in her heart how completely her son had disavowed her. Narcissa had seen the flashes of Draco’s abhorrent imaginings of gleefully participating in her punishment for betraying the Malfoy “Honour,” and the pain cut her to the bone.

“I am afraid we cannot, Narcissa,” sighed the headmaster. “Not without putting us all in great jeopardy. No doubt, the Minister shall presume that Lucius is dead, and shall inform young Draco herself - and I also have no doubt that the Minister will suspect the involvement of someone close to you- most likely Severus.

“In which case, I believe it best if Severus remained with you here, where it is completely safe now that we have determined how Lucius and his companions gained entrance to the estate and sealed it. It would not do for the Carrows to detain Severus and turn him over to the Minister.”

Dumbledore glanced at Snape; the Potions Master sighed, having suspected as much. Still, it was a welcome price to pay for the death of Lucius Malfoy. Severus could not imagine a more gilded cage, to be shared with someone whom he had come to love.

“I understand Headmaster,” Snape remarked resignedly. “But Madam Nott deserves to see what I saw in Warlock Nott’s mind before he sacrificed himself... She needs to know the truth of his passing, and of what his hopes were for his family’s future. I must visit her briefly, and reveal to her what I witnessed in his consciousness. Then I shall come back here and remain with Narcissa.”

“Very well,” Dumbledore agreed. “But I must insist that Alastor and Amelia accompany you to make certain that you are returned safely.”

~o0o~

She stirred in several more spoonfuls of sugar, added a dollop of cream, and sipped her third cup of tea as she waited, growing more and more impatient as the morning wore on.
A feeling of doom gnawed in the pit of Minister Dolores Umbridge’s stomach when Lucius and his raiding party had not victoriously returned. Instinctively, the Minister knew something had gone wrong. Her nostrils flared as a spark of rage caught flame. If Lucius or any members of the raiding party had still been alive, at the very least he would have sent the Snatchers back to the Ministry with a message for her. But only one memo had arrived by floo - and it was on a completely unrelated but no less disturbing matter.

The idea of Dolores’s beautiful man laying lifeless somewhere was almost unbearable. It would be far too much to say that she had loved Lucius; she trusted him not at all, and knew that he did not trust her. Such was the nature of those drawn to Power and Control above all else. But Dolores had always liked pretty things, and Lucius had been very pretty indeed... not to mention extremely useful.

They had both shared the same goals after all, and had both been working on Cornelius Fudge, the previous Minister, to turn him against Albus Dumbledore since the day that Harry Potter had first turned up at Hogwarts after having been hidden from the wizard world for ten years. Their partnership had been mutually beneficial in more ways than one... particularly once she had taken Lucius into her home. Lucius had shown his gratitude in a most desirous manner.

And to add to Dolores's distress, it had just been brought to her attention that Head Auror Rufus Scrimgeour had surreptitiously reopened Amelia Bones’s investigation into the Minister’s activities. The Minister had no idea who the lead investigator was, but it didn’t matter - the investigation could not stand.

Hands shaking with fury, the Minister began to scribble a memo to the lead Auror of a team that she knew was loyal to her, and her alone, directing him to send investigators to Devon immediately. Dolores couldn’t bring herself to go to her office at the Ministry today. And she could deal with Rufus later; for now the most important thing was discovering what had become of Lucius.

Several hours later Minister Umbridge received a reply which confirmed her suspicions. Madam Black's Devon estate was inaccessible and still clearly in her hands. No bodies had been recovered, but there was no doubt in her mind - Lucius was dead.

But certainly Madam Black could not have managed to overpower two Warlocks and their henchmen on her own. She must have had help. Surely it was too much to suspect that Albus Dumbledore had been involved... but perhaps not. Narcissa Black had turned her back on her husband and son - but had she turned her back on her heritage as well?

There was only one who knew Narcissa Black well enough to answer the Minister’s questions. And she was currently overseeing the establishment of the Unspeakable Office’s largest Secret Installation while still recuperating from a grievous injury sustained during the Battle of Hogwarts.

Burying her anger, the Minister drained her umpteenth cup of tea and flung some sparkling powder into her kitchen hearth. She spoke the name of the secret installation and stepped into the green flames.

~o0o~

Draco Malfoy wondered why Snape wasn’t in class today. Instead, that bloated walrus Professor Slughorn was overseeing the lesson.

Malfoy grew anxious, knowing that something was amiss. He had heard nothing from Father or the Minister at breakfast. But they had promised that he could have the day off school to celebrate with his father once the mission to kidnap Mother had been accomplished.

Draco scowled at the Potters as they hovered over the potion they were working on. Whatever had become of his father, he knew they had something to do with it. He was sure of it! Draco’s own potion began to turn a putrid green and boil over.

“Oi... watch it Crabbe!” snapped Draco, flexing his reattached prosthetic hand warningly. “You were supposed to add the rat spleen after the beetle eyes... Now we’ll bloody have to start all over again...”

Hermione frowned and glanced at Malfoy while Harry added the sopophorous beans to their Euphoria Inducing Elixir. They were over halfway through Snape’s Sixth Year Potions Book and Professor Slughorn had asked them to brew up something just for fun as a demonstration of their skills. Harry added the wormwood, stirred the potion counterclockwise six times, and let it simmer. He reckoned that ought to do it. Then he noticed Hermione's distraction.

“You alright Hermione?” whispered Harry.

“It’s Malfoy,” Hermione quietly replied. “Something’s gone wrong... and I don’t think it’s his potion that’s bothering him.”

“Well that’s good then,” said Harry, sounding relieved. “I was worried that something had happened to Snape. But if Malfoy’s worried, that means that his father must have failed when he went after Madam Black, doesn’t it?”

“The thing is Harry, Snape might have killed Lucius Malfoy...”

“Well... yeah! I thought he might if he got a chance - and I know it might sound a bit cold Hermione, but that’s good too! Malfoy was there when Voldemort killed my mum. He was keeping watch outside...”

“He... he was? How do you know?”

“I... I’m not sure really...” Harry puzzled over it for a moment. For some reason he had several clear images in his mind, and he wasn’t sure where they had come from. “I just know that Malfoy, MacNair, and Wormtail were there too. Maybe... maybe when I went back in time to when I was a baby I saw them somehow...”

Hermione peered at Harry uncertainly, then decided to take him at his word.

“Alright! But that’s not what I meant Harry... I think things are about to get very ugly! By this time tomorrow...”

Hermione trailed off and turned to face her husband. She really didn’t know what was going to happen next. Harry could see how scared Hermione was and gave her a hug. Sensing a change of mood, Parvati looked up from the potion she was working on with Lavender and glanced at the Potters.

“It’s alright Hermione,” Harry murmured, “Everyone’s all packed, and ready to make a hasty exit at a moment’s notice. And we both know they won’t make a move on us until they’ve managed to force Dumbledore out. I doubt the Minister will move that quickly - she’s very cautious. We’ve probably still got a day or two at least...”

Harry went quiet when Professor Slughorn approached, beaming broadly.

“Well, what have we here Mr and Mrs Potter?” asked the rotund Professor “My word! It appears to be the Elixir to Induce Euphoria - and a most exceptional one at that. Is that a hint of Peppermint I detect?”

Harry nodded and grinned.

Hermione couldn’t help feeling a bit chuffed, despite everything. Harry was right, there was little point in worrying about Draco and the Carrows while Dumbledore was still headmaster. Curiosity piqued, Daphne and Jennifer both paused to see what was happening.

“Splendid!” continued the impressed Professor Slughorn, “Simply marvelous! Sev... I mean Professor Snape - was absolutely right - a proper pair of potions prodigies you are. I dare say you would have both given Mr Potter’s mother a run for her money...”

~o0o~

Dolores Umbridge sat on the other side of the desk, facing the witch she had put in charge of overseeing the new detention centres. She was quite surprised at what she had just heard, to say the least.

“Severus Snape?” said Minister Umbridge, her tone skeptical.

Dolores knew that Snape and the Malfoys had fallen out over the Greengrass incidents - but that was quite understandable given that it had created an unfortunate rift between two of the most highly respected Pureblood families in Britain. Just as it had been equally unfortunate, but quite understandable, that Warlock Greengrass had thrown his support behind Harry Potter for protecting his youngest daughter.

But prior to that, Lucius had always expressed nothing but the highest regards for his old friend, assuring Dolores that Severus Snape had always been dedicated to the Pureblood Agenda, and that he had tricked Albus Dumbledore into supporting him at the end of the first war.

“Severus Snape?” Dolores repeated. “Are you certain of this?”

“Oh yes...” the other witch smirked, “I never trusted Snape. He was far too enamoured of Lily Potter - he asked the Dark Lord to spare her life. But my dear sister... she always had a soft spot for Severus, though she would never admit it. And it was Lucius who kept watch with Walden MacNair when the Dark Lord killed the Potters... If anyone helped Narcissa kill Lucius, it would be Severus.”

“Thank you! Your information is immensely helpful.” The Minister flared her nostrils and pursed her lips. She had been planning to make her play for Hogwarts by the start of the Christmas holidays, but now it seemed that the regrettable demise of Lucius had nonetheless presented her with an opportunity that could not be ignored. With a bit of finesse, the Minister reasoned that she could move her timetable up and take Hogwarts completely by the end of the week.

Dolores turned her attention back to the other witch, and looked her over. Narcissa Black’s sister looked much better than she had the last time the Minister had seen her. Apparently the blood rituals had remarkable healing effects on the injurious dark curse which the witch had sustained. And though Dolores much preferred wizards, she had to admit that the beguiling witch was a vision to behold in her revealing dark-leather outfit.

“I trust you are well,” simpered Dolores, “But if you need anything more from me... anything at all, just ask.”

“Oh thank you Dolores!” purred Bellatrix as she fluttered her eyelashes at the Minister. “But you have done so much for me already - the Pardon, the medical assistance, the job as head of this new institution, the underlings, the use of these delightful facilities, and the screams of the mudbloods you have provided for my amusement thus far.

“I knew you were a dedicated Slytherin Dolores, but I confess, I had no idea that we had so many pleasures in common. I cannot wait for the next phase of your campaign to go into effect and this detention centre becomes fully operational...”

~o0o~

The praises of Professor Slughorn and Harry’s reassurances had made her feel a bit better for awhile, but Hermione’s trepidation continued to grow throughout the day. The Professors all appeared to be on high alert. Fleur and Dora joined the younger members of the Unaffiliated for lunch and they took it outside to eat in the courtyard despite the light sprinkling of snow.

“Dumbledore pulled us both aside towards the end of last period and told us that Lucius Malfoy was killed by Snape last night when ‘e tried to storm Narcissa Black’s house,” Dora said quietly as she glanced around to make sure nobody was listening nearby.

“So it did happen then; I knew it...” Hermione gasped, quivering with agitation. Her words tumbled out one after the other in a rush as she tried to explain.

“Harry knew it I mean... Harry said Mr Malfoy might have a go at Narcissa Black after Snape gave us a look in Potions. He said that Snape might do anything to protect her - I wasn’t certain, but what Harry said seemed logical - and then this morning I knew Harry was right - I don’t think Draco knows for certain yet though. He just seemed very worried in Potions, and Snape was gone, and I just put 2 and 2 together...” Hermione finally paused to take a breath.

“Ze Headmaster told us to let you know... and we are to try an’ remain with you as much as possible when classes are not in session,” Fleur murmured. “‘E is not certain, but ‘e believes that ze Minister may escalate ‘er investigation very soon.”

“Good,” Harry replied, nodding. “Now we know for sure that Snape killed Mr Malfoy. If the Minister suspects Snape was involved, it’s only a matter of time before she tries to have Dumbledore arrested as a co-conspirator...”

As the Potters continued their day, they also received special attention from both McGonagall and Flitwick, who fussed over them and appeared quite concerned to be sure that Harry and Hermione were both prepared for any eventuality.

By the end of the day, Hermione was in a high state of anxiety. Harry noticed that despite her best efforts to remain calm, Hermione kept picking at her food and glancing at Draco and the Carrows all through dinner.

There was little outward indication at breakfast the following morning that something significant had altered in the British Wizard World or at Hogwarts. Though nothing yet was being mentioned on the morning news report, Hermione and Harry both picked up on the clear signals from the mood of the Inquisitors and the Professors that Lucius Malfoy’s death had triggered the imminence of a substantial shift in power at Hogwarts.

The lack of Draco Malfoy’s presence was hardly unexpected, but it was still unnerving.

“I wonder what he’s up to,” Harry muttered.

“He’s probably just upset, Harry,” Hermione mused, unable to help feeling badly for Draco, despite everything horrible he and his father had done. She had to remind herself that Draco had tried to kill them both after violently assaulting Astoria, but she still felt too nauseous to eat.

~o0o~

Draco Malfoy whipped out his wand again.
“Avada Kedavra,” he uttered malevolently for the hundredth time; a bolt of green lightning emerged from the tip of his wand and turned one of the stone busts he was aiming at into rubble.

Draco nodded in satisfaction. His aim and speed were improving. But the satisfaction wasn’t enough to quell his rage - and he knew that he would have to be much faster and aim better to kill Potter. The last time Draco had tried to kill Potter had been a debacle, and he had no desire to lose another hand.

The Carrows had delivered him the message of his father’s presumed death yesterday afternoon. Draco’s world was collapsing around him. His father was dead, and he didn’t care that “Aunt Dolores” had placed the blame squarely on Professor Snape. Draco knew that it was Potter and the Mudblood’s fault... oh, and Greengrass’s too of course; somehow they had turned his mother and Snape against Draco and his father.

When the Inquisitors finally took Hogwarts, Draco would have his vengeance. The Carrows had promised him that much. They had approved time off from regular classes to continue his practice with the Unforgivable Curses so that Draco would be ready to take his place as their deputy, and to wield the power necessary for achieving his goals.

He was going to torture and rape the Mudblood in front of Potter and then he was going to kill them both - after they had given up the details to the Carrows regarding the Secret Weapon they had used to destroy the Dark Lord’s Army.

By the end of classes, after discharging much of his rage practicing against moving targets, Draco was feeling much better about things. And the benefits of his father’s demise began to seem more apparent. Draco was the heir to his father’s fortune after all, and he no longer had the burden of trying to live up to his father’s academic expectations.

Hogwarts really didn’t matter anymore, except as a stepping stone to bigger and better things which were now within his grasp. Aunt Dolores and the Carrows were encouraging and preparing him to take up the mantle of Warlock, a position which Draco would have likely had to wait decades for before his father’s premature death.

In fact, the more Draco thought about it, the more this seemed like an opportunity to celebrate rather than a misfortune. And if anyone did anything which he didn’t like, he could threaten them with the Minister or the Inquisitors.

Much to Draco’s delight since returning to Hogwarts with the Inquisitors, he had recently discovered his new threats to be a far more effective refrain than, “wait till my father hears about this.” Instead of rolling eyes and snorts of derision, Draco’s warnings finally brought the level of obsequious respect that a Malfoy deserved.

Draco almost felt giddy with power. When the Minister made her announcement on Friday, Hogwarts was as good as his, and everyone who had ever disrespected him, or stolen what rightfully belonged to him, would pay in spades.

~o0o~

The sun had woken up on Friday morning, but had apparently decided to drink a cup of hot cocoa and go back to bed upon seeing the cold grey skies of an early winter below. One could barely make out its presence through the dark churning clouds and the blizzard conditions. The wind howled as squalls of snow whipped around the castle.

Glad for the comforting warmth of his fire at this early hour, Albus Dumbledore sighed as he squeezed some lemon into his tea and mentally prepared himself for what was certain to be a day as tumultuous as the weather outside.

Fortunately, Auror Mulligan continued to be a valuable asset to the Order, and the advance notice had allowed the Order and the Unafilliated to make provisions and back-up plans for any number of possible occurrences. Fawkes uttered a soft musical note indicating the arrival of unwelcome guests.

“Thank you Fawkes!” said the headmaster, quickly draining his cup of tea. “Phineas... it is time - the Aurors and Unspeakables are here for me. Remember your promise...”

“Yes, yes... of course...” the portrait of Phineas Nigellus replied in his most weary put-upon tone, “Provide the Potters with whatever assistance they require... look after all the students of Hogwarts to the best of my abilities...etc, etc...”

“Very good Phineas,” Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled and there was a knock on his door. “You may enter.”

Professor McGonagall opened the door, her features distraught.

“Headmaster, you have some... ahem... visitors...” she said with a strong hint of disdain.

“Indeed!” Dumbledore gave the Professor a stern look. “Remember Minerva - Hogwarts needs you!”

“Thank you most kindly Minerva,” said Senior Undersecretary Percy Weasley, who looked positively gleeful. He pushed past Minerva McGonagall followed by several Aurors and a dozen Unspeakables.

“And what may I do for you this fine morning, Senior Undersecretary Weasley?” the headmaster asked sprightly, his eyes twinkling merrily as Fawkes flew from his perch and settled on Dumbledore’s arm.

“Not even breakfast time yet - but here you are, bright and early. Would you like some tea?” Dumbledore politely offered, stroking Fawkes’ carmine and gold feathers.

Percy Weasley was slightly taken aback by Dumbledore’s cheerful demeanor, but he chalked it up to the headmaster’s deviousness and encroaching senility.

“Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore...” began the youngest Senior Undersecretary in Wizarding Britain’s history, in the most pompous and authoritative voice he could muster.

“...By order of the Minister, and by Law, I hereby place you under arrest for the crimes of Abetting in the Murder of Warlock Lucius Malfoy, Harbouring the Murderer of Warlock Lucius Malfoy, Treason and Sedition, Conspiracy to commit Treason, the Illegal Manufacture of Experimental Weapons, Corruption of the Innocent, Illegal Use of School Property for Private Gain, and various and sundry other crimes and misdemeanors.

“Now, if you would be so kind as to follow these gentlemen, they shall escort you to the Ministry where you will be formally charged, and then to a High Security Facility where you shall await trial...”

Percy faltered when he heard Dumbledore softly chuckling. Perhaps the Old Coot was madder than he had suspected.

“You find this amusing?” Percy frowned.

“My dear boy,” Dumbledore responded in a slightly patronizing, sarcastic manner, “you and these fine upstanding officials with you, appear to be operating under the delusion that I am going to ‘come quietly’ as the muggles say... I can assure you, I intend nothing of the sort...

“Indeed, my only aim is to expose the treasonous crimes of Minister Umbridge herself: political assassination, attempted assassination, colluding with muggle officials to commit treason, use of public finances for private political gain, bribery, corruption of Wizengamot and Ministry officials, illegal manipulation of the media for purposes of propaganda, corruption of the young and foolish...”

Dumbledore raised his eyebrows and looked pointedly at Percy Weasley whose face began to redden.

“Furthermore,” continued Dumbledore, “I am quite certain that the Minister and those under her command are committing many more crimes, such as the torture and murder of muggleborn - particularly given her collusion with known Terrorists... two of which have taken up residence in this very school. I must say Mr Weasley, I am very disappointed in you!”

Percy began to turn purple, knowing full well that the Minister had been recruiting Voldemort’s Death Eaters and Snatchers to round up and suppress the muggleborn insurgents who were intent on overthrowing the Ministry. The Unspeakables began to look at each other uncomfortably, wondering who among them might be a mole working for Dumbledore.

“Now look here Dumbledore...” Percy barked in outrage. “The Carrows were never proved guilty in a court of law...”

“In any case,” Dumbledore said loudly, cutting Percy off, “I can hardly affect the restoration of a legitimate and fully accountable political leadership to the Ministry from prison can I? So my dear boy, for now - as my dear friend Madame Maxime might say - I bid you adieu!”

Upon Dumbledore's final word, Fawkes flared as brightly as the sun and Dumbledore was gone in a dazzling blaze of light.

Professor McGonagall tried to hide a smirk at the flabbergasted expressions on the faces of the crowd in Dumbledore’s office as everyone recovered from their temporary blindness. Minerva caught the eye of the portrait of Phineas Nigellus who gave her a sardonic wink as Senior Undersecretary Weasley stormed out of Dumbledore’s office with the Unspeakables and Aurors in tow...
Sign up to rate and review this story