Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Butterbeer And Shopping

by Emilie_D 1 review

Professor McGonagall has a proposal for Zelda.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-09-20 - Updated: 2006-09-20 - 2924 words - Complete

1Ambiance
Zelda looked around in amazement. "Ron, this can't possibly be real, can it?" she asked. "It looks a bit like Halloween back at home, except ordinary and real. Wow! Zonko's Joke Shop, and Honeydukes? I want to see everything. Why does Minerva want to see me here? I couldn't believe it when you brought me the message."

Ron grinned happily. "She said Harry should keep going on... looking for you know what. I dunno why she chose me instead of Hermione." He wished his dad could see Zelda's first reaction to the magical world. They were meeting Professor McGonagall at the Hog's Head. He hoped that Harry and Hermione would wait for him before hunting up the next Horcrux, because he wouldn't miss showing Zelda around Hogsmeade for the world.

Zelda was wearing jeans and a red t-shirt, definite Muggle clothing, and her bright blond hair was a fairly unusual color. Even Ron noticed that she stood out a bit. Fortunately, it was a quiet time in the afternoon, so not many folk were around.

The Hog's Head was as dark as a cave, so it took a few moments for Zelda's eyes to adjust to the gloom after coming in from the bright sunshine outside. At a small table in the corner she recognized Professor McGonagall, who was sitting with another woman she'd never seem before.

"Mum!" Ron said in a low, shocked voice. "What the bloody... er, what are you doing here?"

"Professor McGonagall asked me here to meet her guest and assist her with something. I might ask /you/, Ronald, what you're doing here," Molly Weasley exclaimed with a piercing look at her son.

"She sent me to bring Zelda here." Ron said. "Zelda, this is my mum, Molly Weasley. Mum, this is Zelda Larsson."

"It's lovely to meet you," Zelda said, offering her hand to Mrs. Weasley with a smile. "You must be so proud of Ron. Please call me Zelda."

Molly shook her hand warmly and replied, "I'm delighted to meet you, Zelda. And I'm Molly."

Zelda turned to Professor McGonagall with an ironic smile, saying, "You're looking well, Minerva. If I end up Obliviated, I'll be extremely disappointed with you."

"Fortunately, you would not remember why you were disappointed." Minerva McGonagall responded wryly. "I am asking something risky of you, Zelda, although I will do what I can to protect you, as well as your memories." She turned to Ron. "Mr. Weasley, would you fetch Zelda a butterbeer? I wonder if she'll like it."

Zelda watched Ron go to the bar and try to pry a couple of drinks from the surly barman, then turned back to Minerva and said, "What is it that you want me to do?"

Minerva replied. "I find that your fresh perspective on our situation clarifies my mind, and having seen the way you have influenced my students, I wish to have you stay here at Hogwarts for a time."

Zelda's mouth twitched and she said, "Will you keep me in a discreet dungeon and use me as an Oracle? Otherwise it might be hard to explain Muggle ol' me hangin' around, don't you think?"

Ron arrived back at the table with two bottles in his hands, and gave one to Zelda. Molly looked at him as he sat down and snapped, "Run along, Ron. There are things that you don't need to hear."

Zelda said softly, "If it's all right with you, Molly, and Minerva, I'd like Ron to stay." She smiled at the young man and said, "I trust you, Ron. If I didn't, I wouldn't be here now, would I?"

Ron flushed brick red and said, "Thanks Zelda. And Mum, I'm of age now, so you can't send me to my room any more."

Molly Weasley glared at her son, but Minerva put a hand on her arm and said, "He is of age, Molly."

Zelda took a cautious sip of butterbeer, and said, "Wow! This is great. We Muggles miss out on a lot." She winked at Ron. "Tasty with pizza, don't you think?" she said, smiling.

He grinned back at her, trying to ignore his mother's worried glare.

Minerva continued to speak as though there had been no interruptions. "Zelda, I would like you to be my guest at Hogwarts, as a consultant - and help us to rework our Muggle Studies classes. I believe that they could be made more effective, and you seem very capable of designing curriculum."

"I did fancy my role as the Mystic Muggle Oracle, but I'd love to get a look at what you teach your students about Muggles," said Zelda, her eyes sparkling with interest. "When would you want me, and how long?"

"Immediately," replied Minerva. "I realize that you'll have arrangements to make, but I wish you to start today, and as to the duration, perhaps a week? We will, of course, pay you for your time."

"If Ron will bring me back home for an hour, I'll give you a week." Zelda said, pondering her wardrobe. "But I have no idea what to wear, Minerva. I don't want to stand out too much."

"That is why I asked Molly to meet you, Zelda," said Minerva. "She can help you with these things. Regrettably, I have a long list of tasks to accomplish, so I must leave you now. But I will see you for dinner at Hogwarts." She rose, shook Zelda's hand once more, and departed.

Zelda looked from Molly to her son, and said, "How will she explain hiring an actual Muggle to design the Muggle Studies courses? Is that allowed? What does she really want me to do?"

"Hogwarts is almost empty during the summer, and the Ministry Aurors have finished the final safety inspection, so the Headmistress can do as she pleases," Molly said thoughtfully. "Professor Dumbledore was very much a law unto himself during his tenure, and I think Minerva's establishing as much independence from Ministry control as she can, right from the beginning."

"I trust her and I really want to see Hogwarts, so how do we make me blend in a bit?" Zelda asked. "The barman seems very interested in me, so I assume I look odd."

"We'll buy you some robes, and a cloak," Molly said, as she examined Zelda's clothing. "The jeans are definitely wrong, but your boots will do."

"Is there a second hand shop?" Zelda asked. "I have my greatest success in those places, and that way I may look as though the clothes are really mine, instead of artificially new."

"There is a good one... but it's in Diagon Alley," Molly said.

"Mum, Zelda'd love to see Diagon Alley, let's take her," Ron said.

Molly still wore a worried frown when she looked at Ron, but after a second she smiled and said, "Ron, see if there's a cloak we can borrow, and we'll do it. Zelda, I hope you'll have a chance to meet Arthur, my husband."

Ron hurried off to find a cloak for Zelda, and returned, putting it over her shoulders. It covered her clothes completely, and Molly nodded approvingly.

"Come with me, Zelda. Ron knows where we're going, so we'll meet him there," Molly said, holding out her hand, and they were off.

The second hand robe shop smelled every bit as mangy as 'The Bargain Village," so Zelda felt rather at home. She'd thought, based on Muggle views of witches, that she would be offered a selection of black or black clothes, but the colors were brilliant, spanning the spectrum. "Wow..." she breathed. "This is wonderful. What should I get, Molly?"

"Choose what you like, and we'll see if it works," Molly said. "My children hate this place, you know."

Zelda needed no further invitation to look; she began pawing through racks of odd, often very old-fashioned clothing. Some of it was ragged and smelly, but there were treasures there. She realized there wasn't a synthetic to be seen, and wondered if she could bring tons of things back home with her. After half an hour of hard work, she and Molly had sorted out her pile of prospective witch wear, and come up with several acceptable outfits.

Zelda was enchanted. Her favorite was black silk robes that she thought must be Victorian in age, a bit more fitted than some, quite severe, but the lines were very flattering to her. There was a deep red dress with gold accents, which fell almost to the floor, emerald green robes, and robes the color of the sky at twilight. There were two more plain black work robes. Her cloak was midnight blue, with golden fastenings, and finally, after rejecting the pointed hats lying smashed together on a table, she spied a black top hat that she fell in love with. It fit perfectly, and made her look quite mad.

Ron burst out laughing at the sight of Zelda in witch clothing, especially the hat. "You look amazing, Zelda. I'd never believe you're a... well, you know," he said with a chuckle.

"I wish we had time to show you around, but you should go home and prepare what you need to, so we can get to Hogwarts in time for dinner," Molly said practically.

"Is this all very expensive, Molly?" Zelda asked anxiously. "If you have a bank that exchanges currency, I can pay for this."

"Minerva will pay for this, and these old rags cost practically nothing. You needn't worry," she replied, chuckling.

Zelda shook her head. What Molly described as worthless rags would be a fortune in vintage clothing in her world. The fabrics were splendid, the colors were vivid as new, and she was in love with her new magical wardrobe.

"Molly, will you come with us?" she asked. "I'd like to be able to speak freely, and I'm not comfortable doing that here."

Molly nodded. She was curious about where Zelda had come from and wondered what Minerva McGonagall wanted with the woman.

"She can't come to your house, Zelda," Ron objected.

"I know. We'll go to Michael's since that's my piece of unfinished business," she said. "He'll take care of things while I'm gone." She asked hesitantly, "Can we take this stuff along? He'll love to see it."

They passed by a large box of jewelry, she picked out an earring with a dangling fang, and Zelda said, "This is the least I can bring him. He'll love it."

They paid for the clothes, and the next moment Zelda was standing in bright summer sunshine, with Ron and Molly Weasley in Michael's back yard.

The back door of the house opened. "Zelda, is that you?" Michael called, sounding worried. "Who's with you? Are you okay?"

"We're fine, babe." Zelda said. "We have a guest, so behave yourself."

They entered the kitchen, and Ron introduced his mum to Michael, while Zelda quieted the excited dogs. She realized that she was really leaving, and that when she returned home she'd be different, and felt a slight pang of regret. Nevertheless, she was going to try to help Severus, so there was no choice. She surreptitiously wiped a tear from her eye before turning and joining the conversation.

"You let Ronald shoot Muggle guns?" Molly was saying incredulously to Michael. "That's terribly dangerous, isn't it?"

"No more than that wand in your hand," he replied, his brown eyes twinkling. "Both of them are tools. Your wand undoubtedly is more versatile, but in each case the user determines how it'll be used. He's good, too." He ushered them into the living room, where they all sat down.

"Michael, I'm going for a week," Zelda said, wanting to get things settled. "Will you be able to handle things here?"

"Do you have to ask? We're ready, Jess is really happy to take refuge at your house and I'll keep an eye on everything," he said, knowing she was going into danger. He was worried, but knew she could do nothing else.

"I brought you a present, Michael, and if you're very good I'll show you my new clothes," she said, striving for lightness as she handed him the fang earring.

He began to laugh as he slipped the earring on. "How does it look?" he asked.

"Bloody excellent, Michael," Ron said enthusiastically. "It's a dragon fang, you know. Not a big one, but the real thing."

Molly watched, and wondered how her son had become so comfortable with these Muggle people. The man seemed very kind. He obviously liked Ron and was very close to Zelda.

"Do you have time for tea?" Michael asked. "Ron can help me make it, and you can open that package and show me what the well-dressed witch will be wearing this week."

When they were alone, Zelda opened the package, she asked Molly, "Minerva didn't tell you anything about me, did she?"

"Only that she thinks you may be able to help us, help the Order," replied Molly, realizing that she was about to hear the whole story.

Zelda put her new hat on at a rakish angle, just as Ron poked his head through the doorway. He said, "Michael wants to know if you're hungry, or if tea's enough."

"Tea is fine for me." Molly said. "Run along now, Ronald."

"Did you tell her, Zelda?" Ron asked mischievously. "That you're Professor Snape's girlfriend?"

Zelda grabbed a throw pillow and heaved it accurately at him, making him duck back into the kitchen, and turned to see the horrified look on Molly Weasley's face.

"I'd have liked to find a better way to say it, but it's true," she said. "That's why I know about your world."

"But... he killed Albus Dumbledore..." Molly said. "He's wanted, he..." Her voice died away in the face of Zelda's grim expression.

"There are precisely four people who know the truth." Zelda said, "Five now, including you, Molly. Harry, Ron, Hermione and Minerva are the only ones in your world who know, and of course I know," Zelda said to her. "I'm assuming that Minerva believes I can trust you, and you're Ron's mother, and... I like what I've seen of you."

"It's getting to be a long story," she added seriously, "but Severus has gone to play the spy again, and be close when the time comes for Harry to face Voldemort."

"It's true, Mum." Ron said, as he walked in carrying in a tea tray. "Professor Snape's really on our side, and now Zelda and Michael are on our side too."

"Nice hat, Zel," Michael said, following Ron into the room. "Is that vintage wizard-wear? I love it!" he gushed.

"Wait 'til you see the rest, Michael," Zelda said, trying to give Molly a chance to digest this shocking new reality. She opened the package, and richly colored fabrics shone like jewels. "This was all wizard resale, and I adore it. Witches don't seem to wear synthetics, so this fabric would cost a fortune here." She pulled her new cloak on over her t-shirt, and immediately looked different and exotic to Michael.

"Try something on, Zel," he said. "Does it all fit?"

She picked up the emerald green robes and stepped out of the room for a minute. When she returned, they saw that the robes were a little too long, but otherwise fit admirably. Molly used her wand to shorten the hem and Zelda soon looked as if she'd been wearing witches robes her whole life.

"Jealous?" she asked mockingly, giving Michael a quick hug.

"God, yes," he said fervently. "Do wizards get to wear gorgeous stuff like that?" He asked Ron.

"If they want to," Ron replied, giggling a little as he imagined Michael strutting like a peacock in bright colored robes.

"Let me see you in the black silk," Michael directed. Zelda stepped out of the room and returned in the black robes. "You look like a sexy nun," he said admiringly.

She went to the full-length mirror, and did a double take. The severe, more-fitted style of it was quite flattering, and the lightweight silk was amazingly comfortable. Zelda did wear black at times, but in this, she looked like an elegant porcelain doll, with her wide blue eyes and blond hair. Best of all, she saw that her favorite black leather boots looked just fine with witch's robes.

"Muggle clothes suck," she said, laughing. "This is /wonderful/."

"Leave it all on then," Molly said. She was trying hard not to stare at this pretty woman, and unsuccessfully trying to imagine Severus Snape with her. "We should leave whenever you're ready."

Michael stood, and gave her a hug. "You know, Philly would've loved that getup," he said reminiscently.

"I thought of him while I was pawing through mountains of the stuff. I hope you can see it all someday, babe," Zelda said.

He reached for a well-stuffed knapsack, and handed it to her, as they walked outside. "Stay in touch, okay? Send an owl, or have one of the kids stop in. And give my regards to Minerva. Everything'll be fine here, Zel."

"I know. What would any of us do without you, Michael? You're the best," Zelda said, wiping a tear from her eye.

"Be careful. Kiss Severus for me if you see him," Michael said. He winked at her.

The last moment before they Apparated away, Zelda was laughing, and then he was alone again. Michael walked back into the house, hoping she would be all right. He was tired of losing people he cared about.
Sign up to rate and review this story