Categories > Anime/Manga > Attack on Titan > The Making of an Alpha

Chapter Four

by CaptainRiren 0 reviews

I remember you.

Category: Attack on Titan - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Fantasy - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2018-07-05 - 1763 words

0Unrated
Hesitant hands reached outward, two people that had supposedly never met before lacing their fingers together, and they fit like puzzle pieces. Like they belonged there, hands interlocked, palms pressed together. The two of them looked so comfortable together. Even the thickest of idiots would have noticed the softness in their eyes, the familiarity. The moment lasted an eternity, and Erwin scarcely dared to breathe.

And then Hange was throwing themself at Levi, a pathetic wail leaving their lips, and Levi's hands went to their waist as their arms looped around his neck.

"L-Lee-vi-i!" The attempt at saying his name was interrupted by sobbing, and Levi merely rubbed their back as they let it all out. Erwin had never heard Hange cry like this, loud and unashamed, trembling in the vampire's embrace.

"Hange . . . " Levi's voice was tender, a loving voice reminiscent of a parent speaking to their child. For an instant, Erwin remembered the woman from his childhood. It was gone before he could grasp the image. Levi held Hange close, resting his forehead against their shoulder.

"I thought your family was executed," Hange managed to choke out. Levi's fingers tightened in their shirt.

"They were," he mumbled in response. "I barely made it out alive." He pulled back, hands moving to Hange's shoulders as he looked them over. "But you . . . by now, I thought you'd be . . . "

"Never," Hange said, giving a watery grin, and Levi mirrored it with a small smile. "I'm too stubborn to croak, short-baby."

"I always hoped so, four-eyes."

They drew close again, foreheads resting together, and Erwin felt like he was intruding at this point - intruding, in his own home! It was pretty obvious at this point that his new visitor and old friend knew each other, and by the sound of it, were incredibly close once. It still baffled him as to how. Hange was human, after all. He would have to question them about their past when this blew over.

"Where have you been? I looked all over for you for a century and a half."

"Everywhere, looking for you. I never gave up on you, not for a second."

They took a seat on the couch. Erwin wanted to sit in the armchair, but even just breathing made him feel out of place in the scene. And yet he was included a moment later when Levi glanced over to him, looking uncertain.

"So . . . you met him first?"

Hange looked over as well, a small, apologetic smile on their face. "I wasn't the first. He's practically a magnet for us."

Us? Who else had he met that could have a connection with them? Unless - the woman from his youth - ?

"Wait," Erwin blurted, unnecessarily loud, and he paused for a moment to compose himself as the other two stared at him, somehow incredibly patient despite his struggle. "You're a . . . " He found it hard to spit out the word, to associate it with someone who had been so vehemently against the lore before. It was mind-boggling, nearly impossible to him.

"Vampire," Hange prompted, and Erwin only nodded mutely. "The cat's out of the bag."

His best friend of four years, a vampire. Hiding under his nose, dismissing his research, calling him names and waving him off as a fanatic for four years.

"I can't believe it," he said, leaning back in his chair and running a hand through his hair. Hange shifted slightly, and Levi eyed Erwin wearily, as if expecting an outburst.

"You understand, right?" Hange rested a placating hand on Erwin's knee, eyes downcast in what seemed to be shame before they looked up to meet his gaze. "I had to protect them. Us." They looked away again, withdrawing their hand. "There were so many times I wanted to tell you, but . . . "

"I get it," Erwin interrupted, sighing. "I understand. But I want to know how you two know each other. You know, besides both being vampires. I doubt that's enough to know each other so well."

They were both silent a moment, and Hange studied him closely. "You're taking this astonishingly well," they said slowly. "You're alright with this?"

"Yes, Hange."

" . . . are you sure?"

"Yes," Erwin repeated, exasperated. "It's weird, it's a lot to take in, but you're still Hange, so I can handle it. Are you going to answer my question?"

Hange opened their mouth to speak, but Levi beat them to it.

"Childhood friends," he said solemnly, grabbing for Hange's hand, and Erwin saw him give it a squeeze. "That's really all there is to know."

Erwin got the feeling - scratch that, he knew Levi was lying, or at least not telling him everything. Hange's baffled glance only confirmed it, but Levi shook his head at their silent question, and unfortunately for Erwin, they did not offer up any additional information.

"That's really it," Hange echoed with a small smile, and Erwin was forced to give in.

He leaned back once more, and that was the cue that conversation was over. They all sat there for a while, Hange and Levi curling up closer to one another, and Erwin allowed his eyes to close. What in the world was going to happen now? Was there going to be some big revelation, or were things going to be fairly normal despite all he had discovered today?

Christ, he was tired. How was it he was so tired after having slept so long? He could feel himself sink deeper into the chair, drifting, drifting. He could worry about all of this later. For now, he could afford a small nap.

.-.-.-.-.

Levi liked to clean. It was a shock, coming home to a pristine home. Erwin had always figured he had kept well on top of things, especially for a guy, but his vampire roommate seemed to think otherwise. At first Erwin figured there was probably not much else to do, but Levi seemed to find it as a necessity over a hobby. He could not judge too harshly, though. Levi was an entirely different species; if he had a couple strange quirks, well, he was held to different standards.

Levi had a fondness for tea. Earl Grey, chai, rooibos, pretty much anything under the sun. He very strongly rejected Erwin's instant tea, however, breaking out the ancient tea set from under his cabinet that Erwin had kept in memory of his mother, and brewing it fresh every time. Levi had asked permission, of course. He claimed a cup of tea a day was calming. Erwin supposed he had quite a lot to be stressed about, and kept his cabinet stocked.

Levi did, in fact, have emotions. While the history books had Erwin believing vampires were bloodthirsty brutes with no morals, no manners, and most importantly, no feelings, Levi was quite the opposite. He turned up his nose at the foul things on the news, he always said his "please" and "thank you"s, and he felt. Despite how well he could hide it, Erwin found Levi snorting at humorous things, growing frustrated at a stain in the carpet, and the kicker, nearly crying at his reunion with Hange.

On the topic of Hange - Levi had secrets. Many, many secrets. Hange was a walking mystery to him still. Every time Erwin attempted to turn the topic to their identity, they gave him something vague and ran off to converse with Levi. Often the two would hide in the guest room, speaking in low tones. Erwin tried not to be offended. They had potentially two centuries of life to catch up with each other on. It seemed they knew when Erwin was trying to listen in, too - vampires, of course, why wouldn't they? - growing silent when he approached the door.

Sometimes the conversation became heated. Erwin did his best to respect their privacy, no matter how badly he wanted to know what they talked about. But then, one day, it became a shouting match.

Erwin came home from work with Chinese takeout; it was the norm now that he had introduced it to Levi, who had quickly shown favor towards the food. He was prepared to sing out his arrival and offer the treat as he removed his shoes at the entryway. A pair of angry voices had other ideas.

"I don't care! He doesn't need to know any of that!"

"He does if you're going to be living with him!"

"Then I'll just leave."

"What?! You're going to get killed out there! You're safe here!"

"With some ignorant human? Are you an idiot?!"

"I trust him, Levi, why can't you?"

"You know exactly why I can't trust him! I can't trust anyone!"

There was a silence - short, but it felt as though it lasted an eternity. Footsteps, then, a door slamming, and Erwin panicked, but the duo stopped in the kitchen.

"Hange, I'm - "

"He's not an Alpha," Hange interrupted, and Erwin was shocked by how cold their voice was. He had never heard them like that before. ""No matter how much he seems like one, he isn't. You're acting unfairly. He doesn't deserve it."

There was no escape. Hange was leaving the kitchen and Erwin had not moved a muscle. They ran right into him, and he caught a glimpse of distressed anger before they smoothed their face into a smile. One brief hug and a glimpse into the bag of takeout later, the door was shutting behind them, a little too loudly for comfort.

Levi stepped into the room, and flinched a little when he noticed Erwin was there. They stood there for too long, and Erwin cleared his throat. Levi looked away at that, leaning against the kitchen door frame. Erwin decided not to push. Instead, he held out the bag.

"Chinese?"

It was hesitant, but Levi approached, eyes on Erwin as if waiting for him to make a move or say something. He accepted a container of rice noodles and a pair of chopsticks, and settled into the large armchair, leaving Erwin to the couch.

They ate in silence, and Erwin was halfway through his food before he noticed Levi was merely pushing his around like a child with something unsavory on his plate. Their eyes met, and Levi looked away again.

"You heard us fighting," he said quietly.

Erwin nodded. "I did."

"Then we have some things to discuss."

Erwin figured he should probably also leave his food for later, so he closed the container and set it on the table. "Throw it at me, then."

Levi smiled weakly.
Sign up to rate and review this story