Categories > Anime/Manga > Attack on Titan > Mine

Chapter Four

by CaptainRiren 0 reviews

More speculation and attempted murder.

Category: Attack on Titan - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2018-07-05 - 1605 words - Complete

0Unrated
The recruits sat at their regular table, silent and alone in the room. They fidgeted nervously, none daring to speak as they awaited the return of Ymir, who had been called to the Commander's office during dinner and hadn't come back. That was hours ago. Krista looked ready to break down with worry for her girlfriend, head in her arms on the table. Half of them were falling asleep, Eren included. His head drooped against Mikasa's shoulder and while he wasn't asleep yet, his eyes had kept closed for a long time – he wasn't sure how long.

Three different squad leaders and several senior soldiers had come down and insisted they get sleep, that it could be a long while, but the recruits always refused and eventually the others let them be. They understood.

When the cafeteria door opened, nobody bothered looking up. Every single time it had been a regular soldier. They knew the odds of it actually being their friend were small by now. However, when Ymir herself plopped down next to Krista and pulled her close, everyone was suddenly snapping awake, straightening up and yawning. Krista instantly latched onto the freckle-faced brunet, and everyone waited with bated breath for her to speak.

"Whoever thought I did it has a stick up their ass, and if there isn't one I'd be glad to put one there for them."

Her tone was venomous but also reassuring; they knew things had gone well.

"What exactly happened?" Armin asked cautiously, wary that Ymir was ticked and could explode if something wrong was said. However, she seemed to be relaxing, and answered dismissively.

"Smith was pretty polite about it. Didn't seem to think I'd done it right off the bat, but he still wanted to interview me to be sure." Ymir's hands occupied themselves with Krista's hair, twisting a few strands between her fingers. It seemed to be calming to the tiny blonde. "Apparently someone mentioned Reiner's tendency to flirt with my goddess and all my half-assed death threats."

"But that was always harmless teasing," Jean pointed out.

"And that's what I told him. I also said he could ask anyone else. Reiner was too gay anyways. Everyone has a little crush on Krista." She sighed, resting her chin in her free hand. "We nitpicked, but he was a good guy. I don't think Smith really thought I did it."

"But who would turn you in?" Connie asked, looking bewildered. "Why would anyone think you'd do it?"

"Maybe they're just scared," Sasha said quietly, "and they're just looking for anyone that could be it."

"Or maybe they're the culprit and are trying to frame someone else," Bertholdt spoke up. Everyone gave him startled looks, but a look of understanding dawned on Armin's face, and he glanced at Ymir, the wheels in his head turning.

"Ymir, did Commander Smith tell you who accused you?"

The freckled girl suddenly understood as well. "He said it was an anonymous source... shit! Shit! He's right under our goddamn noses, isn't he?!"

"Ymir, calm down," Mikasa said sternly.

"Lower your voice," Armin agreed insistingly. "We don't know who could be listening."

The table went silent. The blond's words hung over them ominously as a harsh realization hit all of them.

Any one of them could be the killer.

.-.-.-.-.

"How are things going?"

Erwin sighed, pushing his fingers through his hair. "Horribly. The MPs are all over this."

"It's just like them," Levi snorted. He perched on the edge of the commander's desk, picking at his nails. "They'll have their dogs over here if we're not careful, sniffing for a trail. But they won't find anything. If we haven't, how will they?"

"You never know," Erwin responded. He glanced up at his subordinate. "You're awfully pessimistic about all this."

"You expect me to be hopeful about the situation? We have a killer on our hands, motive unknown. We have literally no leads. It's all guesswork."

"And if the MPs come, they'll accuse whoever they want and take them to trial," Erwin muttered. He rested his head in his hands. "That puts you and I in major danger. They'd give anything to get rid of us."

"And Eren," Levi spat, venom clear in his tone. "They'll insist it must be him. A titan shifter would be violent enough to do the job, right?"

Erwin was silent for a moment. "... you've spoken with him, correct?"

"Of course. You don't really think he did it, do you?" Levi sounded scandalized by the mere thought. Erwin held up a placating hand.

"Of course not. He was the first suspect, considering he found the body, but he isn't the prime suspect. I trust your judgement, Levi. However, the central government doesn't. We have to tread carefully."

Levi nodded. He paused, eyes roving over the paperwork scattered across the desk. "Have you got any other leads? Any tips?"

"A few, but fewer within reason. I have to investigate them all, though." Erwin exhaled, visually deflating. "I've had accusations for people who've never talked to Braun in their lives to fingers pointing at Hoover, his best friend. I do suppose I should talk to him at some point."

"Could be the person we least suspect," Levi hummed thoughtfully.

"Hell, I mean," Erwin laughed, "I suspect you more than him!"

.-.-.-.-.

"Are you sure you're alright?"

"Fine."

"We don't want you to lose focus and fall -"

"I'm okay."

"You can come to any of us if you need it!"

"Thank you. I will."

Bertholdt kept his awkward smile, nodding and confirming his understanding consistently until he was out of his teammates' sights. Eren watched him from where he was standing with Mikasa. Were people really letting him go alone? Eren found himself hurrying after his tall friend, ignoring a call from Mikasa to come back. He fell into step with Bertholdt, clearing his throat to announce his presence. The tall boy jumped slightly, then gave a smile that Eren could tell was forced.

"Hey, Eren. What is it?"

"Not much. Just wanna get away from Mikasa while I can. I figured you could use some company. You're cleaning the big stained-glass window out front, right? I'll help."

Bertholdt looked like he was ready to deny the help, but his expression flickered into something else for a fraction of a second, and he said, "Yeah, sure. Thanks."

They each carried a bucket of soapy water, which they brought to the roof on their 3DMG. They worked in an awkward silence, starting at opposite ends of the window, one of the buckets dangling between them on a rope. Half an hour later saw Bertholdt planting his feet against the window and stretching briefly.

"I'm going to go change the water."

"Okay, I'll wait."

Eren braced his feet against the window, stretching and allowing his upper body to dangle. His back popped and he let out a satisfied grunt. He hated having to focus on his balance so much for such a stupid task. He found himself tensing up to keep still, not like when he could move freely. He watched Bertholdt land at the top of the roof and pull the bucket up, starting to untie the knot so he could connect the cleaner bucket to dangle. Eren closed his eyes as he waited, letting boredom take hold.

It had always felt nice, the breeze on his face, birds twittering nearby in the trees, the flow of the stream several meters away reaching his ears. It was peaceful. What wasn't peaceful was when suddenly he found himself dropping a couple centimeters.

His eyes flew open in panic, and he instinctively went to check how his hooks held, but they were on top of the roof and he couldn't see them. It seemed Bertholdt had noticed the change in Eren's demeanor. He took one look at what was probably Eren's harpoons and his mouth opened to say something, face panicked, but there was a loud snap! and suddenly Eren was falling.

It all happened in slow motion. Eren could see Bertholdt reaching for him, even though they both knew he was much too far to be of any help. He saw the break in the cords, the lack of harpoons in the end. What had happened to make them break? It was unheard of. Eren's throat felt raw, and he realized he was screaming. His eyes squeezed shut again. He was going to die. He was going to fall and break his neck at best... nobody would know what happened but Bertholdt... not Mikasa, not Armin, not Levi -

His body made impact with something. The ground wasn't this soft, Eren realized, and he was still moving.

"What the fuck just happened, Jaeger?!"

Eren had never been so relieved to hear the angry demand, and he simply clung to Levi's neck and started to cry, glad he was alive.

.-.-.-.-.

I never realized just how human I am. I may be a monster, but I'm vulnerable in this form. It took a near-death experience to realize it.

Levi yelled at me. A lot. I don't blame him. He always tells me I should check my cables before I use my gear. I paid the price.

I'm just happy I'm alive. So is he. Bertholdt is beside himself. He keeps apologizing. I ask him why but he doesn't respond with anything that makes sense.

Levi seems really upset. Maybe it's just because of what happened, but I don't think so. He's pacing a lot and thinking hard.

I wish he would confide in me.
Sign up to rate and review this story